BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:33 PM   #1
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Thumbs up Sean Lennon's music!!!

Over the years, of which I haven't really been lurking/visiting this board, I have developed a lot of love and respect for Sean's musical growth as an artist.

I of course bought Into The Sun many, many years ago. It wasn't an album I instantly fell in love with. It took some time and a lot of listens to finally win me over. I was taken aback by the mellowness of some of the songs interspersed between the heavy guitar on some other songs. But I absolutely loved "Mystery Juice," "Spaceship," and "Queue" instantly. There was no question that, after I had finally come to love that album, Sean's musical abilities impressed me.

Then I got Half Horse Half Musician and everything, absolutely everything, on that EP won me over. I adored it through and through.

Finally, in 2006 when Sean released Friendly Fire and I casually purchased it amidst a busy schedule of work and grad school- not having heard anything from him in like 7 years...I was floored. THIS ALBUM? Absolute masterpiece. I can't even...

Sean gets a lot of unfair and absolutely untrue criticism shot at him for so many dumb reasons: who his parents are, who they're not, his voice, his style, his love life, his personality. Much of it is entirely false. I say this because there is a consensus among many of the younger generation that Sean is some kind of jerk who lives off his father's glory and does the pseudo-hipster thing to appear cooler/smarter/better. NOT TRUE.

I met Sean Lennon 3 months ago after his amazing live set for his band, The Ghost Of A Saber Tooth Tiger, with the lovely Charlotte Kemp-Muhl. Sean was friendly, outgoing, humble, and extremely communicative with every single person who stood in line to greet him. He and Charlotte stayed far longer than necessary, they talked to everyone as if they knew them personally, and Sean even accommodated a man who appeared to be a straight-up John/Beatles fan just getting a glimpse of his child in person.

I was amazed and impressed with Sean. His show was brilliant. He was witty, confident, and cool in a way that showed he wasn't trying too hard. He was soooooo sweet to all his fans/casual concert goers, and his style was fabulous.

I really recommend anyone to pick up some of his albums. The first, the SECOND, his mother's album (which he played on and produced), and of course the GOASTT. If per chance you can, see him live. It is worth it. His presence is only a *tad* eerie because he looks a lot like his dad: same face shape, smile, nose, hair texture...and even a slight build. But he is very much his own person.

I wanted to create a post just for Sean because he's truly a gem, very special. His music is simply beautiful. I feel similarly about Julian but in a different way. They're both two pretty cool guys without question.

Any thoughts on Sean?

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Apr 21, 2011 at 11:10 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default My favorite Sean song...

http://youtu.be/JuYKC28H-x0

PARACHUTE (words and music by Sean Lennon)

Love is like an aero plane
You jump and then you pray
The lucky ones remain
In the clouds for days
If life is just a stage
Let's put on the best show
And let everyone know

Cause if I have to die tonight
I'd rather be with you
Cut the parachute before the dive
Baby don't you cry
You have to bring me down
We had some fun before we hit the ground

Love is like a hurricane
You know it's on the way
You think you can be brave
Underneath the waves
If life is just a dream
Which of us is dreaming
And who will wake up screaming

I'd rather be with you
Baby don't you cry

I'd rather be with you
Baby don't you cry

I'd rather it was you
Baby don't you cry
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:03 PM   #3
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default Sean Lennon's Music

I completely agree with you Apple Scruff about your views about Sean Lennon.I enjoy and love his music to that he did as a solo musician.I really love his album Friendly Fire to and with his band the Goastt now.I think he is a intelligent,caring,kind,friendly and humble guy.I do feel he is his own man.He wants to do his own music.It can't be easy being the son of John Lennon and Yoko.I think Sean's Dad would be very proud of his son right now.John would be proud of both his sons.

“Ultimately people seem to think that being John Lennon’s son is a huge weight around my neck but they don’t consider for a second how inspiring that might be and how proud I am to have this name.”
Sean Lennon

Last edited by Peregrine9 : Apr 21, 2011 at 11:29 PM.
Peregrine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:19 PM   #4
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine9 View Post
It can't be easy being the son of John Lennon and Yoko.I think Sean's Dad would be very proud of both of his son right now.John would be proud of both his sons.

“Ultimately people seem to think that being John Lennon’s son is a huge weight around my neck but they don’t consider for a second how inspiring that might be and how proud I am to have this name.”
Sean Lennon
Great quote.

It isn't easy. Sean's music is very complex and overflowing with gorgeous melodies. He has an incredible knack for chord progression, and he can literally play every instrument and very well. His voice is lovely. It isn't as powerful as John's, nor does it have that soulful quality that made John's voice so one-of-a-kind and perfect. But Sean has a voice that flows beautifully with the music he creates, and he can really belt out some gorgeous harmonies. I love the way he sounds with Charlotte. Their connection seems genuinely sweet and affectionate and they appear to have a lot of fun doing what they do.

What I adore about Sean is that his musical talents are so vast, yet he's shockingly modest about it. I watched him play piano for some Yoko songs and was floored. He is a great drummer, a brilliant bass player (Cibo Matto), guitarist, to name just a few. He also is really great at meshing sounds to create an ambiance with his music. The sound of Friendly Fire has a classic-pop feel, but there is a little of Elliot Smith thrown in as well. And the sound of Acoustic Sessions by the GOASTT has a lot of French pop. But you can always tell it's a Sean album because of the tone/sound he has. It's very much his own, though I can't deny there are melodies and certain chords that are SO reminiscent of John- during his reign as the creator of all those psychedelic masterpieces. And even many of his love ballads in his solo career.

Anyway, Peregrine: do you have a favorite Sean album or song?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:26 PM   #5
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

A friend of mine met Sean a year or two ago and reported that Sean was very cordial, just a real person talking to everybody.

I remember an interview with Paul several years ago and he proudly boasted that ALL of the Beatle kids are "good kids."
www.americanpatrol.com[/color]
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:27 PM   #6
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default Sean Lennon music

Wellfor now,my favorite album of Sean's is his solo album Friendly Fire.I like The Acoustic Sessions a lot to.But Friendly Fire is my favorite.I think he was great in the band Cibo Matto with Yuka Honda.He does play many instruments well.Sean has said himself,he thinks his brother Julian has a better voice than he does.But I think Sean has a good voice and makes up for it as a composer,artist and musican.I love the way he sounds with Charlotte to.

Last edited by Peregrine9 : Apr 21, 2011 at 11:27 PM.
Peregrine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:59 AM   #7
DevonAokiFan
Apple Scruff

///

The only thing I've got of Sean Lennon is the soundtrack to the movie Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Undead... and that only coz it stars my favorite actress, the lovely Devon Aoki, unquestionably the loveliest lady on the plantet, yeah. :)

This album has some pretty weird/interesting stuff on it !!!

easy... ;)

Last edited by DevonAokiFan : Apr 22, 2011 at 01:10 AM.
DevonAokiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:53 AM   #8
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Justin,

Check out this video: http://youtu.be/tbj-tDP4ZKM

Your favorite actress is in the above video, as she is also a great friend of Sean's. :)

WAIT FOR ME (words and music by Sean Lennon)

Please don't ask me why
True as a sky
Everyone is born to die
So take your time
But don't take mine
Lose yourself but don't lose your mind

Somewhere out there in between
The moon and the sea
I'll be waiting for you, my dear,
So wait for me

You can't regret what you forget
If only you could forget it
But it takes time and plenty of wine
The weight of the world there in your eyes
Nothing could ever come to you unless you try, try, try,
You find yourself in trouble
If you cannot tell a lie
Its easy as pie

Somewhere out there inbetween
The moon and the sea
I'll be waiting for you, my dear,
Just wait and see

Somewhere out there inbetween
The moon and the sea
I'll be waiting for you...
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:03 PM   #9
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Hello! I'm new to this board though I LOVE The Beatles (esp John) and also Sean & Julian Lennon too. I missed the recent shows that Sean gave coming through the Midwest, but I'm hoping to see him play in Nelsonville, Ohio in May with The Flaming Lips. I have that "Half Man/Half Horse" EP that you mentioned AppleScruff, and it's great! I was also given by a dear friend and wonderful music lover, Sean's Friendly Fire album, and I was really moved by it. I just bought the version that has a DVD of all the songs--I can't wait to watch that! I really think Sean is highly under-rated, he is a truly unique and amazing artist, that just happens to have the genes of the greatest singer/songwriter we've ever known
Well, just wanted to say hello to everyone, and give some props to Sean
4iiiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4iiiis View Post
Hello! I'm new to this board though I LOVE The Beatles (esp John) and also Sean & Julian Lennon too. I missed the recent shows that Sean gave coming through the Midwest, but I'm hoping to see him play in Nelsonville, Ohio in May with The Flaming Lips. I have that "Half Man/Half Horse" EP that you mentioned AppleScruff, and it's great! I was also given by a dear friend and wonderful music lover, Sean's Friendly Fire album, and I was really moved by it. I just bought the version that has a DVD of all the songs--I can't wait to watch that! I really think Sean is highly under-rated, he is a truly unique and amazing artist, that just happens to have the genes of the greatest singer/songwriter we've ever known
Well, just wanted to say hello to everyone, and give some props to Sean
Oh my gosh, I may be going to this festival as well! So awesome!!!!

Sean's music is amazing. I have to see him and Charlotte live again and it will be a fantastic atmosphere with the greatness that is the Flaming Lips. What is your fave Sean album/song?

I completely, 100% agree with your above comment btw re: Sean's genes. It's not easy being the son of that guy when you're trying to forge a name for yourself, but he is doing pretty well for himself.

Nice to meet you 4iiiis! Post more!
Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:26 PM   #11
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Oh my gosh, I may be going to this festival as well! So awesome!!!!

Sean's music is amazing. I have to see him and Charlotte live again and it will be a fantastic atmosphere with the greatness that is the Flaming Lips. What is your fave Sean album/song?

I completely, 100% agree with your above comment btw re: Sean's genes. It's not easy being the son of that guy when you're trying to forge a name for yourself, but he is doing pretty well for himself.

Nice to meet you 4iiiis! Post more!
Well, that's a really tough one, because I really haven't heard GOASTT in it's entirety, but I really liked Friendly Fire, esp. "Parachute".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuYKC...yer_detailpage

I also have Half Man/Half Horse, but I need to relisten to that...I just remember it being really good too. What's the best stuff on his new album in your opinion? Do you think having his wife along has really made a difference or did it kinda water it down? She's sure a beautiful distraction if nothing else nudgenudge

Last edited by 4iiiis : Apr 24, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:56 PM   #12
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Well, that's a really tough one, because I really haven't heard GOASTT in it's entirety, but I really liked Friendly Fire, esp. "Parachute". I also have Half Man/Half Horse, but I need to relisten to that...I just remember it being really good too. What's the best stuff on his new album in your opinion? Do you think having his wife along has really made a difference or did it kinda water it down? She's sure a beautiful distraction if nothing else nudgenudge
I'm going to send you Acoustic Sessions. Check you PM. You will love it. I would say the new album is a mix between Simon & Garfunkel/The Beach Boys/Serge Gainsbourg & Birkin. It's a beautiful album.

I adore Charlotte's presence, and she's a pretty darn good musician. Man, she learned that accordion in like 3 days.

"Parachute" is a masterpiece of a song. John would be proud.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:02 PM   #13
Apple Scruff
Sun King

4iiiis,

What's your personal take on Into The Sun and Friendly Fire? How would you say their alike/different?

And have you ever listened to his work with Cibo Matto?

Check out these out:

http://youtu.be/qhtM8UaqTt4 "Know Your Chicken" (check out that boy on bass)

http://youtu.be/zYLq4mc_QXA "Working For Vacation" (great live vid)

http://youtu.be/rr2UMIMYTZE Cibo Matto joining Sean for his great song "Home"
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:26 PM   #14
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
4iiiis,

What's your personal take on Into The Sun and Friendly Fire? How would you say their alike/different?

And have you ever listened to his work with Cibo Matto?

Check out these out:

http://youtu.be/qhtM8UaqTt4 "Know Your Chicken" (check out that boy on bass)

http://youtu.be/zYLq4mc_QXA "Working For Vacation" (great live vid)

http://youtu.be/rr2UMIMYTZE Cibo Matto joining Sean for his great song "Home"
Well I will have to relisten to both of those albums before making a comparison. But those 3 videos were very interesting! I esp. liked the 2nd one, though the chicken song is awfully cute! Man, Sean CAN wail on that bass, can't he? I thought the one girl was hot, the one with sunglasses on her head in that 1st vdo. I'll have to check out more Cibo Matto! (I swear the one girl's scream is the same one on The Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (Pt. 2)")

Last edited by 4iiiis : Apr 24, 2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:40 PM   #15
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Well I will have to relisten to both of those albums before making a comparison. But those 3 videos were very interesting! I esp. liked the 2nd one, though the chicken song is awfully cute! Man, Sean CAN wail on that bass, can't he? I thought the one girl was hot, the one with sunglasses on her head in that 1st vdo. I'll have to check out more Cibo Matto! (I swear the one girl's scream is the same one on The Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (Pt. 2)")
The girl with the sunglasses on her head is Yuka Honda. She was Sean's girlfriend and has remained very close friends with him, often guesting on an instrument on one of his albums or live performances.

Know Your Chicken is a great song from a GREAT album: Viva La Woman. Would you like me to send you that as well?

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Apr 24, 2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:46 PM   #16
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Thought I'd share...

This is a song Sean wrote for his dad. It's very touching and beautiful.

video: http://youtu.be/XRRF-YIXlGs

LISTEN (words and music by Sean Lennon)

When I was 5, that's when you died
My mother told me I'd never see you again
All I remember is that I didn't want her to see me
To see me crying, so I said:
"Don't worry mama you're still young and so beautiful
You will find someone to love and to cherish you"
I'll never forget how she looked laying in her bed
With thousands of people outside saying give peace a chance.

I would do anything for one conversation with you
Even to walk down the street with you would be so cool
Seems like the whole world had more time with you than I did

But the dead don't speak, they listen.

I was alone almost everyday
Felt like my mother was always away
All that I knew of you was what people told me
Though I remember the scar on your chin and
The sound of your voice everytime that you said goodnight
Your favorite TV show was Jekyll and Hyde
And that you played the piano, well now so do I
Every note that I play goes up to the sky.

I'd would do anything for one conversation with you

The dead don't speak...
They listen.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Apr 24, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:05 PM   #17
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
This is a song Sean wrote for his dad. It's very touching and beautiful.

video: http://youtu.be/XRRF-YIXlGs

LISTEN (words and music by Sean Lennon)

When I was 5, that's when you died
My mother told me I'd never see you again
All I remember is that I didn't want her to see me
To see me crying, so I said:
"Don't worry mama you're still young and so beautiful
You will find someone to love and to cherish you"
I'll never forget how she looked laying in her bed
With thousands of people outside saying give peace a chance.

I would do anything for one conversation with you

I was alone almost everyday
Felt like my mother was always away
All that I knew of you was what people told me
Though I remember the scar on your chin and
The sound of your voice everytime that you said goodnight
Your favorite TV show was Jekyll and Hyde
And that you played the piano, well now so do I
Every note that I play goes up to the sky.

I'd would do anything for one conversation with you

The dead don't speak...
They listen.
WOw, that's a powerful song! Esp. the lines "I'd would do anything for one conversation with you
Seems like the whole world had more time with you than I did"

We can't know what it must be like for Sean, that whenever he's reminded of his Dad, he gets transported back to being 5 again, every time. From the looks of all the videos and pictures of that time, he looked a very happy little boy. Thanks for posting this!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:10 PM   #18
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
The girl with the sunglasses on her head is Yuka Honda. She was Sean's girlfriend and has remained very close friends with him, often guesting on an instrument on one of his albums or live performances.

Know Your Chicken is a great song from a GREAT album: Viva La Woman. Would you like me to send you that as well?
Yuka Honda, huh? Love the name, since I drive a Honda How long did they go out together? She looks like a good match for Sean. Is she older than him? I wonder why it didn't work out for them. I would love to hear more Ciba Matto, def! Thanks so much for your generous reply
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:19 PM   #19
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Default Sean's musical prowess

I know Sean is a multi-instrumentalist, but just how many different instruments is he proficient on? He was playing Bass in those Ciba Matto videos, really shredding it! I admire musicians that are like a self-contained band, and can even produce & engineer & record as well...not many are that versatile, but it sounds like Sean is!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:30 AM   #20
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Yuka Honda, huh? Love the name, since I drive a Honda How long did they go out together? She looks like a good match for Sean. Is she older than him? I wonder why it didn't work out for them. I would love to hear more Ciba Matto, def! Thanks so much for your generous reply
I believe Sean and Yuka were a couple for about 3 years, from 1996 to about 1999. She is the one who sings with him on the song "Into The Sun." Yeah, she was about 15 years older than him...lol! I don't really know anything about their relationship. I think they began as in a creative partnership, shifted to romantic, and then went back to creative. They're still great friends and work together often. In 2007, she produced the collaborative album by Irina Lazareanu and Sean, and has sometimes appeared as a member of the GOASTT on some appearances.

Yuka is married to Nels Cline of Wilco. Sean, I believe, introduced them. :)

I'm going to send you some more stuff. What'd you think of what you got so far?