BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Oct 20, 2003, 01:10 PM   #1
onosideboards
Taxman

Default Re: review of LIB...Naked

Yeah, no kidding, those Ringo quotes have been in about every article about this album. But I suppose there are some who don't read every Beatle news article like ourselves. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 03:14 PM   #2
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I can't wait to get this!
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 06:33 PM   #3
onosideboards
Taxman

I just remembered that there's a rumour going around that a version of Imagine will be on the 2nd disc. Now, I don't see how that could be true. So, I've derived that the rumor probably means an early version of Gimme Some Truth, which Lennon did play during the GB sessions.

But again, it's just a rumor. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old Oct 20, 2003, 09:05 PM   #4
LuvLennon
Wild Honey Pie

Why do reviewers have to be such a negative embittered lot? Well I won't let this curb my enthusiasm for the pending release. Plus why is there no mention of the second "in studio disk"? And I actually LIKE Dig It and don't consider it rubbishy at all!
LuvLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 09:31 PM   #5
onosideboards
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By LuvLennon:
Why do reviewers have to be such a negative embittered lot? Well I won't let this curb my enthusiasm for the pending release. Plus why is there no mention of the second "in studio disk"? And I actually LIKE Dig It and don't consider it rubbishy at all!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I love Dig It too, but I'd still rather have an 8-minute version. Or even a 2-minute version.

Again, I don't think this review was negative at all, to either version of the album. He obviously doesn't know the history of Dig It and Maggie Mae during these sessions. Ignorance--every journalist has it.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:31 AM   #6
onosideboards
Taxman

Default review of LIB...Naked

The Beatles, Let it Be... Naked

EMI It could have been another McCartney vanity project. But, says John Harris, stripping away Spector's production and ditching a couple of tracks has let the final album shine at last

Sunday October 19, 2003
The Observer

We'll begin with a nauseating name-drop. I first heard official word about Let it Be... Naked back in February, when I was interviewing Ringo Starr in a South Kensington restaurant. He was making his way through a dressing-free salad, sipping mineral water and attempting to promote a solo album entitled Ringo Rama ; I, of course, was set on gently nudging the conversation towards The Beatles. With commendable grace, he soon resigned himself to the inevitable: we talked about the DVD release of the Anthology series, and then he tipped me the wink about his and Paul McCartney's next enterprise: the release of a new version of the Beatles album that was salvaged from miles of abandoned tape by Phil Spector and released as their last(ish) word in May 1970.
'It's the de-Spectorised version,' said Ringo. 'Cleaned up a little. Same tracks, same people.' He emitted a confident, though slightly forced laugh. 'I've been listening to it, and it's really great. It fills my heart with joy to hear that band that I was a member of. They were just great.'

At this point, I think I nodded vigorously, keen to make it clear that I too thought The Beatles were quite a tidy act. 'Paul was always totally opposed to Phil,' he went on, 'and I told him on the phone, "You're bloody right again: it sounds great without Phil." Which it does. Now we'll have to put up with him telling us over and over again, "I told you."'

It was at this point that I decided to bring up Spector's syrupy treatment of 'The Long and Winding Road' - which caused McCartney no end of annoyance - and remind Ringo that one of the alleged reasons he had so smothered the song was to cover up the fact that John Lennon's bass part was a plunky, out-of-tune disgrace. Ringo put his cheery bonhomie on temporary hold and looked rather irritated. 'Well, people say a lot of things,' he said. 'And even playing out of tune, he played better than most.'

This is not strictly true. If you go back to Spector's arrangement, which grafts strings, horns and a choir on to what sounds like a demo, you hear Lennon indulging in something close to musical sabotage. How could stripping it all back do anything other than blow the gaff? Moreover, wasn't this the ultimate Paul McCartney vanity project - thumbs-aloft's belated attempt to pull off what his colleagues had long denied him? That lunchtime, however, was not the best setting for such harumphing.

The other week, I went to Abbey Road to hear what had been done to Let it Be . The idea that McCartney had neurotically piloted the new version from start to finish was rather scotched by my introduction to Allan Rouse, one of three studio employees who had been handed 32 reels of tape, told to come up with a new album and then left to get on with it. Much to their amazement, when he heard the final version, McCartney requested no changes whatsoever.

The running order is completely different: among other changes, this album begins with the original Let it Be's closing track, 'Get Back', and ends with the title song, which used to be track six. There is none of the dialogue that peppered the original, and a version of Lennon's sexed-up Yoko tribute 'Don't Let Me Down' has been included, thus righting the wrong whereby it was relegated to the B-side of 'Get Back'. Two songs have been placed in the wastebasket: there is no 'Maggie Mae', nor Lennon's pretty rubbishy 'Dig It'. What remains is a 35-minute, 11-track album that a) sounds like a coherent work rather than a patched-up postscript, and b) stays true to McCartney's original idea of abandoning the studio alchemy that had so defined the psychedelic Beatles and re-emphasising the fact that they were a four-piece rock group (often augmented here by Billy Preston on keyboards). By way of hammering the point home, everything has been remixed and remastered, so that the music is wrapped in both a new brightness and an added sense of intimacy. You find yourself charmed by songs that hitherto had sounded like mere makeweights. 'One after 909', written soon after John met Paul in 1957 and revived as something of a band in-joke, does not exactly represent The Beatles' greatest work, but it manages to ooze the sense of the band tapping back into the rambunctious teenage spirit of The Quarrymen. Similarly, Harrison's 'For You Blue' might be a flimsy 12-bar, but here you hear it anew, as an endearingly cute stab at the bucolic simplicity that Harrison's idol Bob Dylan had minted during the time he spent secluded in Woodstock.

Most striking of all is a new mix of 'Across the Universe', put to tape in early 1968 and included on Let it Be on account of a brief rendition in the accompanying film. The new treatment features only Lennon's voice and guitar, a smattering of tamboura from Harrison, and Starr gingerly keeping time on a bass drum. This minimalism suddenly places it in rarefied territory indeed; here, it sounds like a stargazing companion to 'Julia', Lennon's heart-stopping acoustic piece from The Beatles . As for the chief source of McCartney's three-decade heartache, Rouse and co. went for the hitherto unreleased version of 'The Long and Winding Road' used in the Let it Be movie. On the whole, Lennon's dreaded bass-playing is eerily on-the-money. Better still, the jettisoning of the schmaltz results in the squashing of the song's old air of piety; instead, it sounds like McCartney trying to soothe the anxiety that came from the keen sense that his group's bond was becoming irrevocably frayed.

The upshot of all this is clear enough. Even with George Harrison rapidly turning into a seething ball of anti-McCartney resentment, John Lennon momentarily lost to heroin, Yoko Ono sitting threateningly next to him and a film crew recording their every argument and belch, The Beatles were brilliant. Oh, and one other thought: this is the last thing Phil Spector needs, eh?

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/1...062879,00.html
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:38 AM   #7
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

How nice that the reviewer likes it even in spite of all of his preconceived notions.....I can say no more. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:40 AM   #8
Legs
Sun King

[img]graemlins/sleep1.gif[/img]
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:42 AM   #9
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
How nice that the reviewer likes it even in spite of all of his preconceived notions.....I can say no more. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Where does he say he likes it? Couldn't he just left out all the things that doesn't matter, or any repeating of past articles and simply says he likes it.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:45 AM   #10
onosideboards
Taxman

Legs, do you want an album review to simply contain, "I liked it" or "I didn't like it" rather than an anaylis of most of the songs, as this reviewer has done?

I got out of it that he did like it. If he didn't like, that would have been very clear.

I'm excited to hear it myself!
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:52 AM   #11
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By onosideboards:
Legs, do you want an album review to simply contain, "I liked it" or "I didn't like it" rather than an anaylis of most of the songs, as this reviewer has done?

I got out of it that he did like it. If he didn't like, that would have been very clear.

I'm excited to hear it myself!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">No, I want a review that talks about the music, not a rehash of past articles, and things that doesn't matter.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:55 AM   #12
Legs
Sun King

But mainly it is that I am tired of hearing about it, I just want to listen to it.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 05:15 AM   #13
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
The idea that McCartney had neurotically piloted the new version from start to finish was rather scotched by my introduction to Allan Rouse, one of three studio employees who had been handed 32 reels of tape, told to come up with a new album and then left to get on with it. Much to their amazement, when he heard the final version, McCartney requested no changes whatsoever.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">This is the part that cracked me up most. The guy assumes that Paul's some neurotic control freak and criticizes him for it, then finds out he had little to do with the hands-on part of the project. On the other hand, I read another review where the person accuses Paul of "not even bothering" to make changes to the finished project. Talk about da**ed if you do, da**ed if you don't!!

I wish people would just relax about all the motivations behind these projects and just enjoy them (or not, depending on your taste) for their musical and/or historical value. If you don't think something should have been done or released or whatever, DON'T BUY IT. That's all that you really have a say over. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 05:56 AM   #14
Lynner

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By onosideboards:
The idea that McCartney had neurotically piloted the new version from start to finish was rather scotched by my introduction to Allan Rouse, one of three studio employees who had been handed 32 reels of tape, told to come up with a new album and then left to get on with it. Much to their amazement, when he heard the final version, McCartney requested no changes whatsoever.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">This is the part that cracked me up most. The guy assumes that Paul's some neurotic control freak and criticizes him for it, then finds out he had little to do with the hands-on part of the project. On the other hand, I read another review where the person accuses Paul of "not even bothering" to make changes to the finished project. Talk about da**ed if you do, da**ed if you don't!!

I wish people would just relax about all the motivations behind these projects and just enjoy them (or not, depending on your taste) for their musical and/or historical value. If you don't think something should have been done or released or whatever, DON'T BUY IT. That's all that you really have a say over. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">You said it better than I could have, Rell'. Buy it or don't - that's your choice. If you want to have a say in how something was produced, go into record production, and...good luck! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 07:14 AM   #15
onosideboards
Taxman

The author may be alluding to Paul's apparent control of the Get Back project originally.

Sure it's darned if he does and darned if he doesn't, but isn't that to be expected? Journalists love to perpetuate myths about famous people.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 11:42 AM   #16
BrazilianFlag
Bulldog

Quote:
The author may be alluding to Paul's apparent control of the Get Back project originally.

Sure it's darned if he does and darned if he doesn't, but isn't that to be expected? Journalists love to perpetuate myths about famous people.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Bad journalists love to perpetuate myths...Good journalists create new myths... (sorry, couldn't help myself, being a reporter and all [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] *)
BrazilianFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:10 AM   #17
onosideboards
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By BrazilianFlag:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By onosideboards:

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Bad journalists love to perpetuate myths...Good journalists create new myths... (sorry, couldn't help myself, being a reporter and all [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] *)</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Ooops, sorry! *foot in mouth* [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Of course you're right. I just seen so few good journalists. Maybe it's better in Brazil. Yay for you!
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:19 AM   #18
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
If you don't think something should have been done or released or whatever, DON'T BUY IT. That's all that you really have a say over.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Not that simple. I've seen the tracklist, it's posted somewhere, and I am simply disapointed by what is going to be released, as a fan I still want to have it and enjoy the songs probably, but it's not what I expected it to be.
I know what the songs are and the versions that is going to be included. It's different when it would be something you haven't heard, like a new Paul McCartney album. In that case I say wait till you hear it to critise it, or perhaps not.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 04:55 AM   #19
BrazilianFlag
Bulldog

Quote:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By BrazilianFlag:

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Bad journalists love to perpetuate myths...Good journalists create new myths... (sorry, couldn't help myself, being a reporter and all [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] *)</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Ooops, sorry! *foot in mouth* [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Of course you're right. I just seen so few good journalists. Maybe it's better in Brazil. Yay for you!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Oh, no trouble, ono [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] As for things being better over here, wouldn't I wish...Our reporters love to dwell on the "old myths" thing too. Guess it's a common trait!
BrazilianFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 01:05 PM   #20
onosideboards
Taxman

http://www.beatles.com/letitbeNaked/...php?advertID=2

http://www.beatles.com/letitbeNaked/...php?advertID=5

Not sure if those will work, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who got the Naked site update (sorta). The links are audio clips of Don't Let Me Down and One After 909 with cool Flash animation.

I'm almost positive these are taken from the Nagra rolls. How very interesting, and disheartening. 23 minutes out of hundreds of hours...