BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Oct 19, 2003, 09:20 PM   #1
One_Sweet_Dream
Taxman

Default New Generation Questions

I was thinking about this after visiting the Teen Fans topic (btw, thanks for starting that topic, it's a good little support group!). Being a teen fan, I obviously missed everything. I also learned everything in chronologically incorrect order. I knew "Let it Be" before I had ever heard of "I Saw Her Standing There". Every time I watch A Hard Day's Night, I can't help but think, "John gets murdered in 1980." It's so morbid but I can't help it, I knew that he was shot before I could name three of his songs.

I was wondering who else (teen fans mostly I guess, but maybe imaginative adults) has new generation questions? You know, questions that don't really have an answer, just more "can you imagine?". God I don't make sense tonight, I'm trying to finish my Don Quijote essay in Spanish right now, so I'm just rambling. Here's a few to hopefully explain what I mean:

- Coming from the new generation, I know that 1970 is the end for the Beatles, but can you imagine not knowing that? Can you imagine thinking that the Beatles would be releasing another album after "Let it Be"?
- Can you imagine having a collection of Beatles albums that only went up to "Help" -- because that's all the music they'd made so far? What if you were living a Revolver-less life? Can you imagine not knowing Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
- Can you imagine not knowing who the Beatles were because they hadn't appeared on the Ed Sullivan show yet?

If I make sense to anyone, please, help me make sense to the rest of everyone!!

[size="1"][ Oct 19, 2003, 09:22 PM: Message Edited By: One_Sweet_Dream ][/size]
One_Sweet_Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 01:16 AM   #2
Drumhead15
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to Drumhead15 Send a message via MSN to Drumhead15 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumhead15
Default Re: New Generation Questions

You make perfect sense. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And I think most of us have had thought like those cross our minds.

Btw, good luck on your essay!
Drumhead15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 07:28 AM   #3
onosideboards
Taxman

You make perfect sense, Dream. I always see this sort of inner mini-battle between older and younger fans. I wish I could have been around then, but I certainly don't mind being a 20-something in today's world either.
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 07:39 AM   #4
LuvLennon
Wild Honey Pie

For the most part I enjoy being a second generation fan, luckily we still get to look forward with anticipation to new Beatle things like the Anthology, Live at the BBC and soon enough Let It Be Naked (I hate that name!)

What can not really be recreated though is the excitement of the times, and I think that's what I would have liked to experience the most. Watching footage of the the world being gripped in Beatlemania, loved to have been a part of that sometimes. And the concerts, especially the concerts. My Mum actually got to see them twice at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, imagine seeing The Beatles live! Thats what I would want to experience the most!
LuvLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 07:47 AM   #5
PaulisMine
Dr. Robert

I think the second generation fans and beyond have a different angle on fandom - because there is nothing new coming out, we have to go over everything there is out there with a magnifying glass, look for every nuance, repeat every lyric, because that's all there is. If that makes sense.
I think also that there is not the same sense of nostalgia - okay let me try to say what I mean. Obviously there are plenty of hardcore first gen fans (I mean still hardcore) but I think a lot of people like The Beatles, the people that grew up in the 60s I mean, because of the nostalgia factor not because they're super crazy Beatle freaks. So they'll think, aw, I danced with my first boyfriend to "Love Me Do" or whatever - loving the song for the memory more than anything else.
Obviously we all have memories attached to Beatles songs, oh, I don't know that I'm explaining this well.... sorry ...
PaulisMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 08:34 AM   #6
pepperland67
Dr. Robert

I know what you guys mean.

The thing I sometimes wonder about, but by no means do I lay awake at night thinking about, is if I was growing up in the 60's, would I have loved the Beatles as much as I do now, having grown to love them looking back on everthing, instead of experiencing it as it was happening. Like my mom, for instance, she LOVED them when they first came out, but then when Pepper hit, she got turned off by them. So, she's never really heard the White Album, or Pepper. She did get Let It Be and Abbey Road. But now that she's able to look back on them, she's able to appreciate the music they made during that time, and she can see that it wasn't all about drugs like the media made it out to be. I just wonder if I might have felt the same way as her. Hmm, to think of the Beatles w/o having the White Album or Pepper, no way! Pepper is what first got me into them!
pepperland67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 02:21 PM   #7
laura
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted By pepperland67:
[QB]I know what you guys mean.

The thing I sometimes wonder about, but by no means do I lay awake at night thinking about, is if I was growing up in the 60's, would I have loved the Beatles as much as I do now, having grown to love them looking back on everthing, instead of experiencing it as it was happening. QB]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">You know, I'm not sure if I would have liked them as much in the 60s. I'm the sort of person that gets sick of something if EVERYONE likes it. I used to love Harry Potter, and now I'm kinds sick of it all.

I'm not saying that I would hate the Beatles, but I don't know if I would like them as much as I do now. But, then again, I probably would and would most likely stalk Ringo.
laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 04:54 PM   #8
strawberrychick
Wild Honey Pie

I always feel really sad about not having been a Beatles' fan in the 60s. I wish I could have loved them when everyone else loved them. But being a new generation fan has some perks too. I can go out and buy Let It Be and Please Please Me at the same time, and I know what has happened to them and how their lives have changed so I'm not up for any heart breaking stories (hopefully). Also, I kind of have a purpose now, lol. While I'm wasting away in school everyday I can say to people "hey, have you listened to this?" and get them turned on to the Beatles instead of Britney or 50 cent (no offense to all you fans).

[size="1"][ Oct 20, 2003, 05:00 PM: Message Edited By: strawberrychick ][/size]
strawberrychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 06:53 PM   #9
Norwegian_Wood
Nowhere Man

There really isn't much I feel I missed out on by being a second generation fan. If I had been around and of age then, I highly doubt I would have seen them in concert, they were only on TV a few times (all of which is available on DVD now basically to watch over and over). Them being considerably older doesn't mean much, either, because even if I had been closer in age then, I don't think I would have even met them, let alone run off with one of them [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] *

The no new material issue doesn't much matter to me, because compared with most modern day bands, the Beatles have a TON of material. I'm used to the current acts I like frequently waiting as long as 3-4 years to put out a new album. So even the acts that stay together a long time rarely put out as much material as the Beatles did in less than a decade. Which means had I been a fan during the 60s, it would have been over very fast and I would have been longing for yesterday very quickly anyway [img]graemlins/sad3.gif[/img] *

I'm also *sometimes* glad I already know the ending (Beatles breaking up, John's murder, etc). Because knowing these things all my life before I was ever a fan makes it a lot easier to deal with. I guess the main thing I do miss is being a part of the generation that was so defined by their love of the Beatles. But at least that generation is still around, so we get the stories anyway [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Norwegian_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 08:03 PM   #10
jtal909
Sun King

Well, I was 12 in 1964 and I can tell you they grooved my world and every new album that came out was like a new treasure.

To answer one of the above questions, yes, you would all have been fans then. It was too strong to resist.

[img]graemlins/rocknroll1.gif[/img]
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:44 AM   #11
Feef_The_Hippy
Rocky Raccoon

Send a message via AIM to Feef_The_Hippy Send a message via MSN to Feef_The_Hippy

I was born in 1985 but I wish I could have been about when the Beatles were. I don't have the excitement of wondering what's coming next because I already know since it already happened.
Feef_The_Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 05:54 PM   #12
dyermaker1040
Day Tripper

HEY EVERYONE IM NEW! well sorta. i first signed up a couple of years ago when everything was old-school...no fancy shmancy web-design and all like this...but i only got as far as two stars because i dont keep up with things very well...(i could never keep a diary etc etc)

but i wanna address this topic because i am too a second generation fan. i am 17 and have been in love with the beatles (mostly john) for about three years. and i have just this to say---I CANT STAND BEING IN THIS DECADE!!!! BAH!!!! i was born SEVERAL DECADES too late. i do not fit here. the music sucks, the people suck, all kids my age wanna do is shoot up their classmates and listen to crappy music.
BAH!!!!!!
dyermaker1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 07:36 PM   #13
dyermaker1040
Day Tripper

well i suppose its not so bad being a second generation fan. i mean at least we didnt have to deal with John dying suddenly on us. i wouldnt have been able to handle it if i had been a die-hard fan when he was alive.
unfortunatley, i will have to stand by and watch the rest of them die...paul and ringo...had a very VERY tough time when george passed......and i dont know what i will do when pete townshend, roger daltrey, jimmy page and robert plant die.
and the rest of my heroes.
*sob*
okay okay, we do have it a little tougher being second gen. fans, dont we?
dyermaker1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 02:07 PM   #14
billyshears
Day Tripper

america`s new generation is most close to the beatles than european generations.
billyshears is offline   Reply With Quote