BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:07 AM   #101
Georgie Girl
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
George's sister Lou said George was not the "Quiet Beatle." That, said Lou, was a nickname bestowed upon him when the Beatles came to America. George had strep and talking was painful for him. Lou, as we know watched George like a little falcon until his throat healed.

Tom Petty said that George wasn't a quiet Wilbury either - he [George] just did not demand to be heard.

I can't WAIT for Lou's memoirs to come out!
BB, is Lou writing something?? That would be great!

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:01 PM   #102
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

She sure is! Get over to LouTube and you can enjoy many recent videos of Lou Harison!

I loved it when the Harrison brothers lent their voices to the documentary. Peter was the SPITTING IMAGE of Harold Sr. and seeing him as a senior citizen, you can imagine the Harrison patriarch at a later age. He was slightly older than Peter was when he died. Harry is a French boy with Harrison eyes.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:27 PM   #103
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliLilly View Post
Loved it! Hated Ringo's toupee. That was kinda disturbing to see. I thought he was above all that. Aside from the bad rug, I give the documentary TWO thumbs up! :D
I didn't know it was a toupee, but I noticed his bangs were short. :)
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:28 PM   #104
Hari's Chick

Smile GEORGE HARRISON Tops the Billboard Charts and Goes Platinum With Doc

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/geo...ray-2012-06-11

Platinum!! Yay, George!!!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:40 PM   #105
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post

It does look strange, but we dont KNOW its a toupee..he has a good hair of hair so why would he be wearing a toupee?!

There is something funny with his hair the last 10 years or so but i dont think he bald...

"take me to the river, drop me in the water..."
- David Byrne

Last edited by CWW : Jun 23, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:19 PM   #106
VersusBatman
Sun King

I finally rented it. There were a lot of things I already knew (Like the Tie story George martin mentioned), but I never saw footage of his solo years. I was shocked at how he looked and sounded during the George And Friends tour. He looked thin and his voice sounded rough. Was he sick? My husband was baffled over the George/Patty/Eric triangle. He said he wouldn't know what to think if his best friend told him he was in love with me.

I laughed when George mentioned people comparing him to Howard Hughes. I guess because celebrities go out and attract attention to themselves, being a home body like George was considered weird and even stand offish.

I loved the footage in the beginning. George looked like a tiger stalking the jungle. When I saw footage of his garden, I felt a special bond because I have a small garden and I have been reading everything I can about gardening. I get why George loved it so much. It's hard to get depressed when you see things growing that you helped create.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons

Last edited by VersusBatman : Jul 29, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:14 PM   #107
constance
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersusBatman View Post
I finally rented it. There were a lot of things I already knew (Like the Tie story George martin mentioned), but I never saw footage of his solo years. I was shocked at how he looked and sounded during the George And Friends tour. He looked thin and his voice sounded rough. Was he sick? My husband was baffled over the George/Patty/Eric triangle. He said he wouldn't know what to think if his best friend told him he was in love with me.

I laughed when George mentioned people comparing him to Howard Hughes. I guess because celebrities go out and attract attention to themselves, being a home body like George was considered weird and even stand offish.

I loved the footage in the beginning. George looked like a tiger stalking the jungle. When I saw footage of his garden, I felt a special bond because I have a small garden and I have been reading everything I can about gardening. I get why George loved it so much. It's hard to get depressed when you see things growing that you helped create.
George had totally lost his voice there for awhile on tour-most probably would have cancelled but he felt he had to go on, I guess. I think his real fans appreciated it. He did sound rough though, not like himself at all.

It is funny to me how people thought he was such a quiet oddball type, when this doc shows how many friends and interests he really had, probably far more varied than any of the other B.'s. He was actually very sociable and like to be with his friends.

Yeah, the whole love triangle was always a little weird...but it happened that way often at the time. And George WAS in his own world for a while there, not interested in actual day to day life. Still, I think Eric was a little jealous of George and wanted a part of his life, so he kind of focused on Pattie; it was flattering to her of course, as George was not available to her at the time.
constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:51 AM   #108
beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Hari's Chick and Callie, that moan about the toupee sounds like something BeatleBangs1964 would say!

The Howard Hughes comment WAS funny. George was brilliant with his droll humor. We knew the man had a gifted sense of droll, dry wit when we saw him in A Hard Day's Night and listened to his early press conferences with the Beatles. The man was a genius. He really was. I also think Constance made good points about Eric and George and the triangle that became more of a scalene triangle than an equilateral one.

George was not an oddball. The man was very social. That was a Louise THAAANG, the man loved company! Now I never met Louise Harrison, but from all accounts, she was a lovely, maternal personality and she loved company. They all liked Louise and had nice things to say about her and she really did sound like a lovely person. I see a lot of Louise in her beautiful son George and in Lou and Harry, their brother.

George was a fun personality. I like the way he interacted with his friends and he looked like he was comfortable being his true self, George Harrison.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Aug 03, 2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:21 AM   #109
Fleurette1967
Little Child

Saw this a while back and I've been a little afraid to post this because I really was hoping this movie would put into lay-person's terms or give a bit of shape/definition to what George believed in terms of the spirituality. Given that this was Martin Scorsese (Last Temptation of Christ LOL), I really thought he would have delved more into George's beliefs and helping me understand what George believed. The bits and pieces were all cool, but given what Olivia said, that the room turned bright when he passed -- dude, I wanna know about that!
Fleurette1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:09 PM   #110
beatlebangs1964

I loved seeing the Harrison boys, Harry and Peter.

One thing I have long wanted explored was George's Catholic roots. We know Louise had her little Harrisons baptized and that George was baptized at age 1 month. We know he had a beautiful statue of Blessed Mother Mary on his grounds at Friar Park. I think George's Catholic roots stayed with him his entire life.

Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:40 AM   #111
Fleurette1967
Little Child

I was thinking that as well. I recall Olivia speaking of the Michael the Archangel statue during her story about that deranged ------- breaking in.
Fleurette1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:50 AM   #112
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Don't forget that Friar Park belonged to a group of nuns for decades before George moved in. It was a school or something similar and during WWII, a haven for the children who were sent out of the big cities.
Nuns were even living there when George moved in. They freaked out when he put up a picture of Krishna in the great hall. He told them, "God has many forms," but I know my Catholic mom doesn't believe that.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:18 PM   #113
Hari's Chick

Quote:
I loved seeing the Harrison boys, Harry and Peter.

One thing I have long wanted explored was George's Catholic roots. We know Louise had her little Harrisons baptized and that George was baptized at age 1 month. We know he had a beautiful statue of Blessed Mother Mary on his grounds at Friar Park. I think George's Catholic roots stayed with him his entire life.
I agree. Dhani wears a rosary bead now, too. And all the FOM group sing beautiful songs to Jesus.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:57 PM   #114
beatlebangs1964

Quote:
I agree. Dhani wears a rosary bead now, too. And all the FOM group sing beautiful songs to Jesus.
Some of Louise French showed up in Dhani. George looked mostly like Louise and George and Louise left their respective stamp on Dhani. Louise was Catholic and no doubt those roots not only stayed with George, but were planted in his son.

*Note: In a 1966 interview in the George Harrison Fan Club Newsletter, Louise said that George and his first wife were Catholic in response to a fan's question about their religion.

Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:34 AM   #115
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
While being forced to be Catholic while growing up, I was taught that wearing a rosary was a venial sin. Not a good thing.

and when are FOMs songs to Jesus? I've got their album and seen many videos. Never heard one.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:11 AM   #116
Hari's Chick

Quote:
*Note: In a 1966 interview in the George Harrison Fan Club Newsletter, Louise said that George and his first wife were Catholic in response to a fan's question about their religion.
I didn't know that about the Newsletter! Thanks, BB!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:22 AM   #117
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
While being forced to be Catholic while growing up, I was taught that wearing a rosary was a venial sin. Not a good thing.

and when are FOMs songs to Jesus? I've got their album and seen many videos. Never heard one.
I was taught to not wear it, too. Also in ISKCON, japa beads are kept in a bead bag. A separate kind of bead is worn as a necklace. The reasons for both are the same.

However, that said, it has never been considered a sin from the Catholic church. In fact, the reason the rosary is round is because it was designed to be worn. Even monastic orders in the early church wore them. Not only is it ok to wear rosary beads, it is also ok to wear chaplets around the wrist.

http://www.zenit.org/rssenglish-32848

About FOM, I was unclear. I meant their individual works. Well, I was thinking of Ben Harper mostly. Check out "Picture of Jesus" or his work with Blind Boys of Alabama. Joseph Arthur has some lovely mentions, colored with an existential vibe. His "Dear Lord" comes to mind.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:41 PM   #118
beatlebangs1964

HC, the book "Do You Want to Know a Secret? The True Story of the Official George Harrison Fan Club" by Pat Kinzer Mancuso was about the club and its singular distinction - Louise Harrison had her own column in that newsletter. It ran from 1965-1972 and Louise Harrison answered fans' questions until her untimely death in 1970.

Here is the book on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Do-You-Want-Kn...secret+manucso