BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Dec 08, 2013, 02:40 PM   #21
Maia 66
Sun King

And now a quote from John himself, on the Cavern days:

" 'Stand by Me' was one of my big ballads, I used to score a lot of groupies with that one."

Interesting bit o'trivia, that is...

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2013, 03:48 PM   #22
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I finally DID get this book Maia! I need to set a goal to read this by a certain date. I am excited.
Old Dec 08, 2013, 06:14 PM   #23
wallrus59
Bulldog

Maia..did you ever get your hands on the extended version..i saw it on amazon uk...no luck ye but still looking.

gk.

wallrus59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:01 PM   #24
wildewoman
Taxman

Still have not read it! But life is what happens while you're busy making other plans….

--Oscar Wilde, The Critic as Artist
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 06:46 PM   #25
Maia 66
Sun King

Default Working Class Hero?

The assumption has always been that young John, while growing up in Liddypool, somehow managed to completely avoid "brummer striving"... or what the rest of us call having a proper job. But Lewisohn discovered that John actually had not one, but at least TWO real jobs!

Bobby arranged for the first one, which was, funnily enough, at the airport which would later be named after John:

Quote:
For perhaps three or four weeks, probably in August 1958, John did some basic restaurant work here: washing up, waiting at tables, packing sandwiches. It was his first-ever job. As his later friend and assistant Derek Taylor would recall, however, when they were passing through the airport on a particularly momentous occasion in 1964, "John advised anyone who would listen not to eat cheese sandwiches at Speke Airport; he said he'd once been employed there as a packer and used to spit in them for spite."
John's second (and last?) job was the next year, and it entailed getting up early, commuting, and actual physical labor!

Quote:
Tony Carricker's dad was general foreman on a building site in Scarisbrick, the Lancashire town just inland from Southport, twenty miles from home. A new waterworks was being constructed and Tony had fixed it for himself and John to be general laborers for the summer, on good moneyóabout £5 a week. It was going to be tough work, the first physical labor John had ever attempted, but he had the purest of motives: that new electric guitar. Mimi had thrown down the gauntletóif you want it, prove itóand John was fixed on doing just that.
This info calls into question Mimi's claim that she bought his Hofner Club 40 (or "Club Footy," as John called it). "Confusion remains over who paid the £17: Mimi always said she did, and perhaps thatís so," wrote Lewisohn, "but this was why John had been sweating and swearing at Scarisbrick all these weeks, and he had the cash."

All I want is the truth

Old Mar 31, 2014, 06:53 PM   #26
Maia 66
Sun King

By the way, I just love Lewisohn's description of John working the construction job:

Quote:
John Lennon was not cut out for laboring. "He absolutely hated it," says Tony Carricker. "He told me he used to pray every morning the train would crash."

Johnís desire to buy an electric guitar, and at the same time show Mimi he could get it if he really wanted, came at the cost of blood, sweat and possibly a new world record in swearing. Tony and his father drove to Scarisbrick each day without him. "We didnít take John because we lived in Widnes and it was a different routeóand also because me dad couldnít stand him." As the working day began at eight, John had to get up around five, which for a teenager who loved sleep and hated going to bed early was a constant problem. His journey entailed train changes and a crosstown walk before he got to distant Ormskirk, where the Carrickers collected him. If John was late and missed them he had to make further train changes to finally land up at Bescar Lane, a tiny station in the middle of Lancashire fields. From there he would trudge along country lanes to the building site. And that was before his working day even began, when those artistic hands grabbed the pickax in ineffective anger. As Tony says, "We werenít skilled, we were the lowest of the pecking order, doing the lighter end of the work: wielding pickaxes, shoveling. I found that laboring didnít hurt me. Once the hands stopped bleeding, after a couple of weeks, I could enjoy it. John hated every minute of itóhe had no physical reserves at all."

All I want is the truth