BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:45 PM   #1
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

Default ok I am totally tripping out over the white album

And I have no choice really. It calls out to me. It grabs me by the lapels and smacks me hard in the face and it demands my attention so it is futile to ignore.

The White Album is one of the greatest works in human history right up there with a christmas carol by dickens, sunflowers by van gogh, the brandenburg concertos by bach, or michaelangelos david. And I am being deadly serious. I say this not because I am Beatle fan or because this is a Beatles board I say it because it is the truth. Because it is undeniable.

I do not say this because as a Beatles fan one is "supposed " to like the White Album. One is also supposed to like Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys. And I do like it. And it is good. But I had to make an effort even though I saw its obvious genius. I had to artificially inflate its importance because it is what is expected. I do not have to do the same for the white album. NOT AN IOTA OF EFFORT. Because its brilliance is self evident.

I was at one time at the Getty Museum in Los Angeles and I saw Iris's by Van Gogh. It is the sort of work you do not have to think about liking. It touches your sole. It effects you on an emotional level. One feels like crying. Seriosly that what great art is supposed to do. That is the difference between greatness and 99.99999% of everything else produced by human effort. Art is supposed to make you happy to be alive and the white album makes me happy to be alive.

As I mention in my Sexy Sadie thread there is something sinister about the white album. There is something sinister about the cover too. It is stark white. This reveals a lot. The churning of emotion and feeling and imagery that lies within this album is encompassed by a clinically white album cover. Why? Because of the secrets it has to reveal. Secrets that can only be gleaned but never fully understood. But what secrets to the white album hold? It can never be fully revealed. The Beatles hold all the cards yet they themselves do not know all the answers. Talented geniuses though they are they are only conduits (as is every artist) of there own worlds and the soceity in which they live. The white album is filled with violence, and love, and hate, and laughter, and cyncicism, and iconoclasm, and anarchy, and nostalgia, and mockery. It dares you to enter its world and if you are brave enough to do so you cannot leave unchanged.

I can only try to convey the effect the white album had on my impressionable 12 year old mind. It was the same feeling as looking at my first girlie magazine (hustler as a matter of fact) and I remember being distrubed as if I had discovered something that was not meant to be seen. But is also a gleeful feeling. Maybe it is also about becoming an adult and I can write it off as being naive in my youth yet it still effects me to this day. Why? Maybe because I have not yet grown up? HAHA? No seriously why? Well I could bs you but I wont. Great art just is. It is just so mind numbingly brilliant that it boldy assumes its rank as legend. Is this a copout? No. As I said before its the truth. Anyone with ears can deduce this for themselves.Whats the point in trying to explain it or deconstruct it. Do you need an art expert to analyze the color composition and brush strokes of Van Gogh's Iris's? Of course not. It just is.

Did I mention the white album is creepy? Its dark and sinister too. Blackbird is an uplifting song but it is also dark. It feels dark .It envokes darkness as does while my guitar gently weeps. The Beatles became satanists for this album. Haha just joking. No they just dabbled in some harmless wiccan fokelore. Just kidding again. But it does feel like they were in touch with their darks side. Oblidi Oblada is dark as hell and this is even more nakedly undercut by the faux happiness of the song which makes it REALLY CREEPY. That laughing voice? Thats straight out of a haunted house at an amusement park. Desmond and Molly Jones are having saeances in the dark as we speak.

Anarchy? Revolution #9 is anarchy. But it really is the big joke on the album. Its the big joke on all of us really. The Beatles who are the most carefully melodic band in human history and what do they throw at us? 9 minutes of violent sound. They are stepping out of the world that they constructed for us. They are stepping out from what the entire world was expecting from them. Imagine that? It is the complete anthisis of everything the Beatles have ever stood for. Of course the collage is brilliant in its own right but the statment the songs make about society itself is simply stunning. It is all about contrasts. The contrast between uglyness and beauty or white and black or good and evil.

But what about the sounds themselves? Listen. Listen to the piggies. More anarchy. More of Revolution #9 but in a different and smaller package. More iconoclasm. Violent iconoclams directed at authority. But thats what it is all about really. The absence of authority. The Beatles are about the absence of authority. They are the epitome in western civilization of being different and of artistic freedom. So then what is better than destroying the beauty that you have created so that it becomes an artistic statement in its own right? Mocking your own fans that have made you fantastically wealthy "well hears another clue for you all - the walrus was paul". Mumbling nonsense, sarcasm, and diresion directed at your own bandmates. This is artisitc freedom at its best. Its all a matter of context. The biggest band ever and the entire world is the audience and we hear "we all know obladi-oblada but can you tell me where you are"? Tension is not debilitating it is liberating. Art is a violent act and the white album is drenched in it. But it is sublime.

Listen to the sounds

listen to how the horns come in on mother natures son. It grows. Its organic. You can close your mind and see it and feel the warmth on your skin.

listen to how the guitar sounds just after john says 'what have you done' that is pure inspired brilliance folks.

listen to johns wailing in the coda of sexy sadie. That is pure beauty. that makes me cry.

listen to the cowbell in eveybody's something got something to hide except for me and my monkey. That is pure joy. Right? Listen come on is such a joy isn't it?

Listen to Paul sing I will. I close my mind and imagine myself in the park in the summmer. I am sitting next to the girl of my dreams and holding her hand. I am in bliss and the world is perfect and the sky is blue and happiness and love will live forever.
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 12:49 AM   #2
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

Default Re: ok I am totally tripping out over the white album

I agree Matt, the White Album is truly one of the greatest things ever created by man. I know what you mean when you say you did not have to artificially inflate its importance. I have heard all of the so called greatest albums of all time, and i sometimes find myself artificially enhancing it in order to enjoy it more in a few cases. It works, although sometimes it makes me feel like i cheated! But that has never been the case with any Beatles album, ever. Thats why they're my absolute faves- one listen, and im hooked. When i first heard the White album it blew my mind and i couldnt wait to hear it again. It has so much on it you can listen to it a million times and find a million new things. From the rhytmic chaos of Revolution 9 to Ringos underrated Dont pass me by, its good on all 4 sides/2 discs.
To think that some people (The Beatles included) feel this should have been a single instead of double record!
Pepperland Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 01:11 AM   #3
scott500
Apple Scruff

Revolution 9 should not have been on that album. It was a John and Yoko thing.
scott500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 03:23 AM   #4
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Revolution 9 was released WAY ahead of it's time, and is an extremely dark and creepy number. Try listening to it loud through headphones at night with the light off, and you'll feel a deep sense of fear rise within you.

It's kind of the same with What's The New Mary Jane. Listen to the song the same way I described above, and you'll feel deep relaxation - it hypnotises you!

The stark-white cover was chosen in favour of the art titled 'A Dolls House' (later used on the cover for Beatle Ballads). It was great since the cover was there for you to create your own cover art for it. It was entirely up to you what you wanted the cover to look like!
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:34 AM   #5
EL PARANOIA
Apple Scruff

Though I don't hear it often, Revolution 9 fixs very well in "The Beatles" (that's the album's official name, isn't it? .)
EL PARANOIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:33 AM   #6
twovirgins
Sun King

I like how they were going to have a lottery with the numbers but I guess they abandoned the idea which is to bad i used to have one #2002 was the lowest # ive ever seen
twovirgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 02:29 PM   #7
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I love the White Album insanely! I've never listened to Rev. #9, i'm kinda scared to, lol!
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 03:14 PM   #8
The Blue Meanie
Little Child

I know what you mean, I'm feeling the same way about side 2 of Abbey Road
The Blue Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 03:55 PM   #9
BeatleBabe21
Mr. Moonlight

Send a message via AIM to BeatleBabe21

I agree 'The White Album' is the best!!!...It has soooooooo many fabulous songs!...so many that make you just want to turn them up till China can hear them!!!!!!!

The White Album Is a work of Art

...and Rev. #9 is a scary song very weired... very...Johnish
BeatleBabe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 05:54 PM   #10
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

[ QUOTE ]
Harbidge Posted:
Revolution 9 was released WAY ahead of it's time, and is an extremely dark and creepy number. Try listening to it loud through headphones at night with the light off, and you'll feel a deep sense of fear rise within you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did that once and my heart was pounding with fear. It's horrifying.

Rev. 9 WAS released ahead of its time, I completely agree. I think so much of the Beatles work was done ahead of its time, they were pushing the music world way faster than people were used to, and everyone behind them were having trouble keeping up. I think we got lost once Rev. 9 came out, but if it'd been released a few years later, I doubt it'd have been considered as bizarre.

The White Album is brilliant, in a different way than the rest of the other Beatle albums. You can tell the group was really expanding there, they were going way beyond the norm, experimenting constently, going in a new direction that surprised everyone.

I love the White Album, although many people think Sgt. Peppers is THE album of the 60's, I do think The Beatles surpasses it!
DizzymissLizzy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 07:48 PM   #11
The Blue Meanie
Little Child

[ QUOTE ]
Harbidge Posted:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the creepiness of that number is only surpassed by Pink Floyds song "Time" from DSOTM, you listen all the way through to calm, mellow music that puts you in a mellow state and then all of a sudden.....RIIIIIIIIIINNNNNG! Even when you know it's coming it will still make you jump.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 07:02 AM   #12
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

[ QUOTE ]
Harbidge Posted:

[/ QUOTE ]

The best kind of music is the kind that can enhance an emotion inside of you. A class example of this is a long song such as, say, Here There and Everywhere. In the right situation his heighten your love emotions. Another example could be Sinead O Conner's 'Nothing Compares To You', which is intended to make you feel sad.

That's why Rev 9 is fantastic, because it was created to play on the emotion of fear, rather than an emotion that's easier to write for. And John has managed to do it, to be able to scare in song!!! A masterpiece!
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:33 AM   #13
Roxy Starkey
Sgt. Pepper

Send a message via MSN to Roxy Starkey

The White album is perfection, that's all I can say.
Roxy Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 04:57 PM   #14
*XxRingoBeatleBabyxX*
Nowhere Man

[ QUOTE ]
Harbidge Posted:

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never actually listened to the WHOLE song. Well, I think i did like twice but didnt really notice cause i'm sure i spaced out somewhere along the way, which I usually do. I usually get about half way through the song and then change it though. But it is kinda scary, more strange than scary though. But i still wouldnt listen to it in the dark late at night... im not into creeping myself out.lol.

P.s. Wouldn't that song be good for a haunted house?...just a thought.

-DizZy
*XxRingoBeatleBabyxX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 05:08 PM   #15
luvsthebeatles
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to luvsthebeatles Send a message via Yahoo to luvsthebeatles

[ QUOTE ]
Harbidge Posted:

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been meaning to do that. Instead, last night, I listened to Helter Skelter in the dark. Don't do that -- then you won't be able to go to sleep.

I like a lot of the White Album songs, but I can't listen to the whole album because I don't have it (and don't have enough money to get it). I love how each album has it's own "sound". Like, if you hear a song then you could automaticly say "Hey, that sounds like it's off Rubber Soul" or something. I haven't been able to get the jist of the White Album "sound".
luvsthebeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 05:24 PM   #16
The Blue Meanie
Little Child

I'd like to listen to Revolution #9 or Helter Skelter really late at night, but I'm afraid as long as my family is sleeping that would be impossible. Y'see, my copy of The White Album is an LP, therefore if i play it at night when it is silent, I will probably wake up the entire family. I don't have a pair of headphones that fit my turntable, and unless I can cram some vinyl into my portable CD player I won't be doing this anytime soon.

Just kidding, I'll just borrow my friends parents copy.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 12:11 PM   #17
McCartneygirl77
Little Child

I don't like Revolution 9.
But Helter skelter is one of my favourites. My favourtites from the White Album:
1. Helter skelter
2. Back in the USSR
3. Martha my dear
4. Savoy Truffle
5. My guitar gently weepes
McCartneygirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 06:21 PM   #18
Ailurophile
Nowhere Man

[ QUOTE ]
The Blue Meanie Posted:
I know what you mean, I'm feeling the same way about side 2 of Abbey Road

[/ QUOTE ]

You must, you must listen to it . . . it's not scary at all, it's beautiful . . . it is powerful, yes, but it is not a frightening power . . . .
Ailurophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 06:28 PM   #19
Ailurophile
Nowhere Man

Matt, I agree with you completely. I wish I had something more profound to say, but you've already said everything.
Ailurophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:07 PM   #20
getback
Wild Honey Pie

it's really the ultimate tribute that a band we know was disintigrating, could pull of such a bloody great piece of work.
getback is offline   Reply With Quote