BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Old Nov 10, 2002, 07:05 PM   #41
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Default Re: Why Don\'t We Do It In the Fic?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By MonaMe577:
Jeez, now you guys are starting to make me wonder...

Was I wrong to NOT write John as a randy bastard? There is sex in my story, but the focus of the story isn't John trying to get into my heroine's pants...er, skirts. I wrote him more as a frustrated, melancholy musician than a randy bastard. Now that I've read this thread, however, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I should make him a little randier.

Aargh!! I'm so confused!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends on where you're going with your story, Mona. There's no law that says there *has* to be sex in romantic-type Beatle fan fics. The story is the product of your imagination, so don't let others' portrayals of John get in the way of you creating your own John character...no matter how randy the ladies around here choose to portray him.

------------------
Beatlegirl's World -- Home of fan fics "The Beatles: Live at 12 Cold Creek Street" and "Days in the Life"
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 07:25 PM   #42
angelgodiva
Bulldog

Right--you have to write him the way you see him. I write him the way he was with me; I think he would be about the same with anybody, but I could be wrong--how would I know? And also, yes, he was randy indeed, but he was the only person I ever heard refer to him as a bastard. I sure didn't see him that way.More like a naughty and very greedy little boy inside the body of a very desirable, sexually omnipotent man. God, how I miss and love that guy!!!!

------------------
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.
angelgodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 07:41 PM   #43
MonaMe577
Bulldog

Yeah, I guess I can agree with that. But I focus more on the fact that John and my character are friends before anything. They're two people who find themselves in similar situations, and they find they can identify with each other on that front. John is stuck at a concert in which he is being forced to perform and has been fighting with his wife because he has been forced to stay. Viv wants, NEEDS, to have her group's record released--which hinges on their performance at this concert, singing a song she doesn't like--and she feels no one is taking them seriously. They're both frustrated with different aspects of the same situation, and that's what draws them together.

Forgive me for not looking at John as sexually greedy; I realize you knew him, Angel, far better than I did, and can probably write a better picture of him than I can. I just wanted to explore an aspect of John different from his sexual desires.

------------------
"They're just a passing phase, symptoms of the uncertainty of the times and the confusion about us. I hope, when they get older, they'll get a haircut." -- Billy Graham
MonaMe577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 07:43 PM   #44
bitagirl
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By angelgodiva:
I sure didn't see him that way.More like a naughty and very greedy little boy inside the body of a very desirable, sexually omnipotent man. God, how I miss and love that guy!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Breathe Angel, breathe!!!

And I agree, I didn't know John personally by all means. But there has to be more to him than his randy side... I just like discussing that side the MOST!! In my story there is more to him, than that...but I tell you he is very cunning...

------------------
"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom. "
- Malcolm X
bitagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 07:56 PM   #45
angelgodiva
Bulldog

Oh, there was a LOT more to him than that.
I am sure I would have seen a lot more of the other side of him than I did if I had had more time with him; as it was, there were some serious conversations, to be sure, and he was often tender and sweet,but there was a lot more sex and all than there would have been had we been together all the time. I wish so much that I could have had more time with him, but I just didn't. He was so complex, I'm sure my knowledge of his inner workings barely scratches the surface!
We were not friends until AFTER the fact, so of course I have no idea how it would have been to have become friends first.

------------------
Old Nov 10, 2002, 08:10 PM   #46
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By angelgodiva:
More like a naughty and very greedy little boy inside the body of a very desirable, sexually omnipotent man.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Woman, I hope you understand the little child inside the man" -JL.

-lennon4

------------------

Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

*Need Beatles Art? E-mail Me!*
lennon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 08:50 PM   #47
PauLuver69
Nowhere Man

I have a question. There always seems to be very erotic Beatle sex SOMEHWHERE out there on the internet (thank god for that), but I have yet to find something like a Beatley three sum. Wouldn't that be odd? Wouldn't that be EXCITING?! LoL...

------------------
Paul is a sexy beast and you know it.

Check out my site, Studio #5!

http://www.geocities.com/pauluver69/clicktoenter.html
PauLuver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 08:59 PM   #48
angelgodiva
Bulldog

Why don't you write it? Although as far as I know, it's never happened, that doesn't mean you can't imagine that if you want to!

BTW--if you want your link to work, just put http://at the beginning, then <a hre...finish it with. Then you will have a working link. People are lazy; if they can just click on your link, they'll be more likely to visit your site.

------------------
Old Nov 10, 2002, 09:11 PM   #49
bitagirl
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By PauLuver69:
I have a question. There always seems to be very erotic Beatle sex SOMEHWHERE out there on the internet (thank god for that), but I have yet to find something like a Beatley three sum. Wouldn't that be odd? Wouldn't that be EXCITING?! LoL...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awww shucks! There you go with your dirty filthy ways!!!!
Good luck,and good dreams you are gonna need them!

------------------
"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom. "
- Malcolm X
Old Nov 11, 2002, 03:05 AM   #50
SF4-EVER

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By MonaMe577:
Yeah, I guess I can agree with that. But I focus more on the fact that John and my character are friends before anything. They're two people who find themselves in similar situations, and they find they can identify with each other on that front. John is stuck at a concert in which he is being forced to perform and has been fighting with his wife because he has been forced to stay. Viv wants, NEEDS, to have her group's record released--which hinges on their performance at this concert, singing a song she doesn't like--and she feels no one is taking them seriously. They're both frustrated with different aspects of the same situation, and that's what draws them together.

Forgive me for not looking at John as sexually greedy; I realize you knew him, Angel, far better than I did, and can probably write a better picture of him than I can. I just wanted to explore an aspect of John different from his sexual desires.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a story, at least, I like seeing the man and the woman becoming friends before they become lovers. (And Angel, I'm certainly glad you and John had a chance to become friends.) To me, it's more meaningful if the partners have complimentary emotional needs, so you look at the two of them and think that they're meant for each other.

------------------

Rooftop Sessions--a monthly e-zine of fab Beatles fan fiction
Lennon's Line--A science fiction series about John's descendants--Updated 10/25/02
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 03:32 AM   #51
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Oh, MonaMe, it's NOT WRONG to write John any way YOU see him! Really! Actually, I have an idea for another story that, hopefully, won't have any ACTUAL sex in it -- I mean, plenty of sexual TENSION, but the whole point of the story is going to be that John and the girl in question get to know each other because circumstances beyond either of their control throws them together, and though there is definitely an attraction going on (well, who WOULDN'T be attracted to him, after all?), there's NOT going to be any consummation for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that there just won't be enough TIME.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I personally like John stories of ANY kind -- and though I am absolutely sure he COULD be quite sexually...um...self-serving, I'm sure that wasn't the only thing he ever wanted from a woman. I think the essence of writing him well is to capture his character and personality -- which does not always have to include his sexual persona, or could do so in a different way than others do it. Although there seem to be many accounts of his...um...rather intense sexual appetitite, I can't believe that he jumped every single woman he ever met!

There's really no right or wrong in writing fanfic -- it's all based on the writer's imagination and style. And I want to reiterate that I LOVE the parts of your story I have read so far, and really want to see how YOU handle Viv and John's relationship!

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. November 2002 Issue Now Up!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 04:31 AM   #52
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Dr. Dreamer passed on some sage advice to me very recently. The doctor said that by exploring the erotic sides/parts of our psyches, that is liberating and will allow for any writer to create a believable sexual scene and also to be more receptive in real interpersonal interactions. The doctor is a very wise person.

I have nothing against sex scenes and if kept clean and tasteful, really enjoy them. The only complaint I have is when sex is described in base terms and I still find "cats and roosters" terminology a turn off. Again, it really depends upon the context and genre of the story. IMHO a story that focusses more on the feelings of love involved, then less emphasis need be placed on the act of intercourse. If the characters involved are just interested in a shag and you want the story to take on an erotic tone, then that's a different story. I LIKE erotica -- don't get me wrong. I just don't like vulgar terms applied to intercourse or the human body.

I will admit that discovering how to write effective erotica is a learning experience and a fun one at that!

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

With a love like that, you know you should be glad, yeah, yeah, yeah!
-- Beatles, 1963

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 06:17 AM   #53
bitagirl
Bulldog

Eh, BB so where would one go to learn how to write erotica effectively? Hmmmm? I'm interested in this...exploring your sexual pysche and all that.

------------------
- Malcolm X
Old Nov 11, 2002, 06:18 AM   #54
beatlebangs1964

It's all in the mind, y'know.

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

-- Beatles, 1963

BB1964
Old Nov 11, 2002, 06:26 AM   #55
bitagirl
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:
It's all in the mind, y'know.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One would hope, right?

------------------
- Malcolm X
Old Nov 11, 2002, 06:30 AM   #56
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Well, Freud (at least I THINK it was Freud) said that a human's most important sex organ was the mind...

I think that in order to learn to write effective erotica, you have to READ it too...both good and bad. The bad stuff is necessary in order to know what to stay away from! No one says you have to commit your deepest sexual fantasies to paper, but it can be very effective to explore that side of your writer's personality...

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. November 2002 Issue Now Up!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 06:57 AM   #57
beatlebangs1964

Susan is right. You DO have to read erotica to get the feel for what you consider to be effective writing for that genre.

Never a Freudian, I do think he applied a double standard -- he DID say that "a cigar is just a cigar" after he insisted that all persons living during his repressive Victorian era viewed anything "longer than it is wide" as a phallic symbol. When the tables were turned on the analyst himself, he was the first one to dodge.

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

-- Beatles, 1963

BB1964
Old Nov 11, 2002, 06:58 AM   #58
beatlebangs1964

Dr. Dreamer was the one who told me about exploring that side of one's psyche/personality. It can be a very liberating experience and it can be a very effective resource in one's writing.

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

-- Beatles, 1963

BB1964
Old Nov 11, 2002, 09:21 AM   #59
beatlebangs1964

darn double posts

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

-- Beatles, 1963

BB1964

[This Message Has Been Edited By beatlebangs1964 On November 11, 2002 10:21 AM]
Old Nov 11, 2002, 12:10 PM   #60
beatlebangs1964

I agree with Angel on this one 100%. This is just my opinion, but I don't care for gay fiction about real people who were straight. Slash doesn't appeal to me, but Angel is right -- everybody has the right to read and enjoy whatever they damn well please.

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

-- Beatles, 1963

BB1964