BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Closed Thread

Old Sep 09, 2002, 09:20 PM   #61
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964
Default Re: Create your own Mary-Sue!!!

Yeah, I can't wait for Boston, either.

One final parody for the evening:

Dummkopf, a very foolish girl with hair the color of beer foam, a sumo wrestler figure and eyes as clear as muddy water and buns of steel longed for the day Sir Paul would rescue her from her menial blue collar, 9-5 grind of a job. She worked making beer barrels for Oktoberfest. She hadn't had a bath since Paul McCartney toured in 1993.

One day she meets a fairy named Plymouth Fury, a 1963 red sedan. The Chrysler was so angry at her because she dared dis her cousin, a 1965 Dodge Coronet. "That's it! I'm going to turn you into a donkey," the classic Fury shrilled.

A week after her transformation, Sir Paul saw her grazing in a field. "I need a donkey to do some grunt work on my farm," said the former Beatle. He climbed on Dummkopf and rode her to the farm.

Dummkopf could die happy. She'd been ridden by a Beatle.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
Old Sep 09, 2002, 09:28 PM   #62
MonaMe577
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlegirl9977:
Do you think anyone will mind if I steal Clarity Krystal Amber Delacroix Merrriweather-yellow-matter-custard Haven's name and use it in my story?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey thats my caractor!! *growls* i own her...but i don't own the beetels, they are 4 every-1!!!

ok peeps i rote a new storie its called "marie-suzanna butterfly tranquility smith and the two lost hearts in the hands of a cruel time in london." c'mon guys, r/r PUH-LEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!!!! if you dont i wont publish anymor chapturs, so HA HA HA!!!! and paul if your readin this I LOVE YOU your so awesome!!! call me my numbers 1-800-iam-dumm. only call if yor pawl no flamers.

------------------
... she will cry when she learns we are two...if I fell in love with you ...

"Hello, Homer, I'm George Harrison."
"Oh my God! Where'd you get that brownie?" -- The Simpsons
Old Sep 09, 2002, 09:30 PM   #63
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:
Yeah, I can't wait for Boston, either.

One final parody for the evening:

Dummkopf, a very foolish girl with hair the color of beer foam, a sumo wrestler figure and eyes as clear as muddy water and buns of steel longed for the day Sir Paul would rescue her from her menial blue collar, 9-5 grind of a job. She worked making beer barrels for Oktoberfest. She hadn't had a bath since Paul McCartney toured in 1993.

One day she meets a fairy named Plymouth Fury, a 1963 red sedan. The Chrysler was so angry at her because she dared dis her cousin, a 1965 Dodge Coronet. "That's it! I'm going to turn you into a donkey," the classic Fury shrilled.

A week after her transformation, Sir Paul saw her grazing in a field. "I need a donkey to do some grunt work on my farm," said the former Beatle. He climbed on Dummkopf and rode her to the farm.

Dummkopf could die happy. She'd been ridden by a Beatle.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Genius!! Truly inspired!
And you get your appropriate feedback:
"wazzzzuuuup?! OMG that is the best paul story i've ever red and i've red all of them, i'm sooooo jealous of dummkopf, that's my name so i totally could relate to the character i'm serious you should publish them for reel somewere ok gtg ttyl peace
luv,
dummkopf amber delacroix hassenfeffer McCartney (I wish!) j/k
"

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled fan fiction discussion...

------------------
Beatlegirl's World -- Home of fan fics "The Beatles: Live at 12 Cold Creek Street" and "Days in the Life"
Old Sep 09, 2002, 09:43 PM   #64
MonaMe577
Bulldog

I'm having such a good time, aren't you?

------------------

[This Message Has Been Edited By MonaMe577 On September 09, 2002 10:48 PM]
Old Sep 09, 2002, 09:49 PM   #65
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to ImaginePeace78 Send a message via Yahoo to ImaginePeace78

Oh my! I'm laughing so hard reading this! I think the Beatles themselves would hurl when reading these Mary Sue stories! I wonder what they would think of ours (the good stories here and at Rooftop Sessions).
Oh, yes, I can't there are people out there who call John "Winston" or "Johnny" in their stories! That is historically incorrect! For starters, in Pete Shotton's book, Pete tells a story how John beat him up (when they were kids) because he called him "Winnie."
Oh, and the reviews at fanfiction.net are a scream too! Those people just probably want to see their names in print.
Thank God for Rooftop Sessions!
-Kristi

------------------
"In the best of times, our days are numbered anyway. And so it would be a crime against nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that we would put off doing those things for which we were intended for in the first place, the oppurtunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to hit a ball and to bounce a baby." --Allistar Cooke

Kristi's Writing Desk
Old Sep 09, 2002, 10:21 PM   #66
MonaMe577
Bulldog

Here comes my very own badfic. This is officially the worst story I've ever written.

Chatper One

hi my name's Butterfly Annamaria Valentine, but all my friends call me butt cause I stink j/k!! LMAO LMAO! Anyways, i'm tall, blonde, a girl, and im 18 with blue eyes like a blue oshin. i was born on june 18, 1942.

i live with my daddy (hes rich) in a big house in liver pool. he calls me sugar-woogy-bunny and he bought me a kewl car last year a 1960 corvet OMG, its so kewt!! and i have a baby brother named justin timberlake valentine hes adorable.

yesterday, paul mickartney moved in next door with those other guys he sings with, the beetels.

i was so happy.

chapter 2

one day i was at the store getting some food when I bumped into someone i'm sorry", I said. I was so embarresst.

'that's okay. your really hot, what's your name?" the hot guy say.

"my names butterfly annamaria valentine." i said. 'you look familiar. Do I know you?"

'yeah, you might have seen me on tv, im pal mcCartney."

"OMG OMG!" i scream, jumping up and down. he just laughed, cause girls do this all the time when hes here.

he could see that i was really cute cause i wore my short hotpink skurt and my black stiletto heels i even have a cellphone cover that amtches my shoes.

Pawl asked me on a date and i said yes because i'm not stupid (duh!!)... he gave me a look with his eyes that said i want you so bad.

chapter threiey

suddenly, my ex-bf enrique iglaysias (a/n he's so kewt!!!) came in "butterfly don't go out with pawl!" he yelled like a maniac. "i was a fool to dump you on april 5, 1959 i wan you back." he starts singing that kewl song that he wrote just for me,

I can be your hero baby
I can kiss away your pain
i will stand by you forever
you can take my breath away.

pawl got so mad!! 'She's my girl now!" he yelled. 'i wrote her a song too'

I give her all my love
that's all i doo
and if you sauw my luv
yood love her too
and i love her"

i was so confused who should I pick? "I think I'll choose .........................

ok thats it for now please r&r pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeassssssssssssseeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!) and let me know what you think if i don't get any feedback or reviews i won't let u c the next parts!!!!!!!!

soozin, can i send this stori to the roof top sight, cause its the bestest story ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

[This Message Has Been Edited By MonaMe577 On September 09, 2002 11:32 PM]
Old Sep 09, 2002, 10:33 PM   #67
Magill
Sun King

This is a story about a young woman I know, Julia Felicity Haven. It's the summer of '62 and she's on spring break from university. She decides to take a job in a local pub in Liverpool. Because of her glamorous features and razor sharp wit, she does quite well taking home a few extra quid nightly. One night four good looking lads stroll into the bar for two lagers and lime and two lagers and lime. John is immediately drawn to this woman, not really knowing why. There is something familiar but he can't quite put his finger on it..as much as he would like to ! She reminds him of his auntie in Suffolk county. Could she be his long lost second cousin, once removed? Those starry emerald eyes! That ripe chestnut hair! They immediately hit it off and asks her to dance. Roy Orbison is suddenly playing on the jukebox, "Crying". "Great! A slow dance!", John thinks to himself, quite wickedly. Paul gets up from his stool to cut in when Julia's boss sternly orders her to get back to work. Having utter disregard for authority, Julia continues to dance with this charming young lad, who seems quite familiar to her as well. They start gracefully dancing their way out the door. John then decides to make his move, but first asks for her last name, to make sure there's no relation. Thankfully, no relation! They head back to the flat he shares with Paul, for indiscretions such as these. Good! His mate is still out with the others. She starts to cry and tells him about her painful past of losing her folks in a car crash when she was at the tender age of 4. He didn't notice that the lights had changed. She was the only one who survived, being strapped in securely in the back seat. John tells her of the loss of his mum, whose name was also Julia. They cry together and make mad passionate love for hours on end. Sadly, that was their only encounter, since he already had a wife at home with a child on the way. Ironically, I'm telling you all this story as told to me by my mum Julia, 39 years later.

------------------
"It could've been 'the fox terrier is Paul', you know." ~John Lennon

[This Message Has Been Edited By Magill On September 09, 2002 11:35 PM]
Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:06 AM   #68
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By MonaMe577:
I'm really curious, everyone who says they've read a few good romance stories. Can anyone give me an example of one? I'd love to know what everyone considers a "good romance", and then read it to see what makes it so good.

Personally, my favorite love story is the one I just finished watching with my boyfriend: "My Fair Lady". I don't know what it is about Rex Harrison. He's not exactly a sexpot, but there's something so appealing about him--a cold, practical, unfeeling man who shows a little emotion. It's heartbreaking!! Maybe that's why I like John so much...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good romances? I can think of two good fanfic ones -- Diane's "Into My Life" and Tina's "Cold Creek Street."

Non-Fanfic? Lessee...there have been a couple I really, really liked...um..."A Knight In Shining Armor" by Jude Devereux is a ton of fun, I read that one in a single afternoon once because it was a blast! "Years" by LaVerle Spencer is very, very sweet, I loved that one too. "The Queen's Man" by Terry Brisbin (and I know the author personally, too) is also excellent. There are others, but those spring to mind immediately.

Romances tend to be very formulaic as a genre, so that's why this Mary Sue stuff tends to happen...the trick with a formula like romance is to keep it fresh.

Anyway...on to the rest of the posts...

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. September 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain

[This Message Has Been Edited By HMVNipper On September 10, 2002 04:14 AM]
Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:20 AM   #69
HMVNipper
Sun King

OMG, I have not laughed so hard in a LONG, LONG time!!!!! This is too funny!

I wish you could try to come to Boston, Tina...it'd be fun to sit around with you and laugh again! But at any rate, Chicago is a go for next year -- we'll be there with bells on! And yes, that fanfic list is the one you are thinking of...I quit last year because everyone who was on it seemed to be 14 years old. Funny, too, because I did get some of the best writers on Rooftop through that list in the beginning...go figure...but things change...sigh...

Anyway...I have an idea!!! We should do a "round-robin" fanfic creation! You know, where each person writes a line or a paragraph or something, and we see what we get? I did that once as a joke during an IM session with some friends (remember, Sandra?) and it was hysterical!!!

Dunno if we should do it on list, though -- it might get too "racy!"

BTW, I should also point out that I have actually RECEIVED submissions that were as bad as some of the parodies posted here...remind me to tell you guys about the person who sent me a totally incoherent story and then ARGUED with me and flamed me when I rejected it! (I did it kindly, too -- I just told her it didn't suit my needs, I didn't flame her!) Ooh, it was PATHETIC!!

Anyway...you get the idea...thank you, thank you, thank you for the good laugh first thing in the morning!!! I needed that!!

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. September 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:26 AM   #70
HMVNipper
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By ImaginePeace78:
Oh my! I'm laughing so hard reading this! I think the Beatles themselves would hurl when reading these Mary Sue stories! I wonder what they would think of ours (the good stories here and at Rooftop Sessions).
Oh, yes, I can't there are people out there who call John "Winston" or "Johnny" in their stories! That is historically incorrect! For starters, in Pete Shotton's book, Pete tells a story how John beat him up (when they were kids) because he called him "Winnie."
Oh, and the reviews at fanfiction.net are a scream too! Those people just probably want to see their names in print.
Thank God for Rooftop Sessions!
-Kristi

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for the kind words, Kristi, I appreciate it! Frankly, I think that most of those kidlings who write the awful stories would not see any difference between what they write and what appears on Rooftop Sessions or what Tina has on her site. I mean, if the quality of the submissions I receive is any indication, there are four people out there who send me crap and think it is up to the standards of stories I have published to every one who sends me one worth publishing.

What I don't understand is how someone can READ a good story, a well-written story, a COHERENT story, and then submit an incoherent, misspelled, grammatically incorrect piece of unproofed garbage to me and expect me to think it's worthy of consideration, let alone publication! But I guess that if you're not smart enough to realize that your story needs work (or are arrogant enough to think you're perfect -- and a lot of these kids do think so, and get really insulted if you DARE to edit them) you just have blinders on and don't get it...

Anyway...thanks again for the kind words, I certainly try to give fanfic a better name, and at least it appears to be working for the most part!

As for the Beatles themselves and what they'd think -- ooh, that is a tough call. I think most of the awful Mary Sues would make them cringe...though I DO think they might get a good laugh out of how all these chicks think they're so unendingly and unfailingly virile! I don't know that they'd mind the good stuff half as much, at least those of us who write decent stories are also respectful of them as people!

------------------

[This Message Has Been Edited By HMVNipper On September 10, 2002 04:47 AM]
Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:36 AM   #71
SF4-EVER

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By HMVNipper:
Anyway...I have an idea!!! We should do a "round-robin" fanfic creation! You know, where each person writes a line or a paragraph or something, and we see what we get? I did that once as a joke during an IM session with some friends (remember, Sandra?) and it was hysterical!!!

Dunno if we should do it on list, though -- it might get too "racy!"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I remember that, Susan, and did it get racy! Sure, a round-robin could be fun, though I bet the best parts will be written while I'm at work.

------------------

Contributing Editor for Rooftop Sessions
Lennon's Line--A science fiction series about John's descendants--Updated 9/2/02
Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:45 AM   #72
HMVNipper
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By SF4-EVER:
Oh, I remember that, Susan, and did it get racy! Sure, a round-robin could be fun, though I bet the best parts will be written while I'm at work.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, what I thought was that we'd find out who wanted to do it, and then pass the emails around in a certain order so that no one got left out. So you wouldn't know what was written until you got it back again to add to it.

You know, set it up so that, for example, you start, send it to BB, who sends it to MonaMe, who sends it to Kristi, who sends it to Tina, who sends it to me, who sends it back to you...this way we all get to write our bit...

Anyway, it's just an idea, but it might be fun!

------------------

Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:51 AM   #73
SF4-EVER

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By HMVNipper:

What I don't understand is how someone can READ a good story, a well-written story, a COHERENT story, and then submit an incoherent, misspelled, grammatically incorrect piece of unproofed garbage to me and expect me to think it's worthy of consideration, let alone publication! But I guess that if you're not smart enough to realize that your story needs work (or are arrogant enough to think you're perfect -- and a lot of these kids do think so, and get really insulted if you DARE to edit them) you just have blinders on and don't get it...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This seems to happen to every publisher, big or small. I hear stories at some of the science fiction conventions I attend how editors will get submissions written in crayon or on paper bags -- or both. I've also heard that 90% of unsolicited submissions publishers receive aren't formatted properly or have a lot of spelling mistakes or have some other problem that makes them unsuitable for consideration. If you ever plan to submit anything to a publisher, read the guidelines first! You'll put yourself at the front of the pack if you can follow directions.

As for thinking your work is perfect--it's so hard to look at your work objectively, even if you put it aside for a while. That's why I try to have other people critique my work when possible. It's not easy to handle criticism gracefully, even when it's constructive, but you can learn a lot from it. Of course, it depends on how well the other person can critique, too.

------------------

Lennon's Line--A science fiction series about John's descendants--Updated 9/2/02
Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:53 AM   #74
HMVNipper
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlegirl9977:
...the membership and number of postings has severely dwindled since last summer. *gasp* Maybe the Mary Sues have finally run out of ideas!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not surprising, there's only so many ways and positions in which you can have sex with a Beatle, after all...

You know what kills me? I don't mind a good gutter story, not at ALL -- God knows I've written a few and read more than a few. But what gets me is when a writer is going along with this good story, really getting into it, and everything is lovely and sensual...and then they suddenly start using "dirty" words as soon as the sex begins. It's like being hit in the face with a brick! If your story is sensual, KEEP it that way, don't start getting into anatomical description, for God's sake!!!!! And if you DO want to get descriptive, DO NOT use base and possibly foul words to get your point across!!!!!! Drives me nuts!

------------------

Old Sep 10, 2002, 03:54 AM   #75
SF4-EVER

Well, what I thought was that we'd find out who wanted to do it, and then pass the emails around in a certain order so that no one got left out. So you wouldn't know what was written until you got it back again to add to it.

You know, set it up so that, for example, you start, send it to BB, who sends it to MonaMe, who sends it to Kristi, who sends it to Tina, who sends it to me, who sends it back to you...this way we all get to write our bit...

Anyway, it's just an idea, but it might be fun!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, OK, that would make it easier. I thought we were going to post the story here. But I think it would work better through an e-mail list; that way, everyone has a chance to contribute.

Let's see who else is interested...

------------------

Old Sep 10, 2002, 04:36 AM   #76
beatlebangs1964

Sounds like fun! I'd love to be "a robin" in the round-robin!

Like Susan, I don't care for graphic descriptions of genitalia and intercourse. Keeping it loving and "clean" works for me. For example, Debbie Lee (Mary) Spollen wrote in her recent "Shelly Series" that "Shelly caressed his [Paul's] silken length" and uses other euphemisms to describe the natural responses the human body makes when sexually aroused. I confess, I was no fan of that particular term, but I did like the fact that she at least kept the descriptions to a minimum and kept them clean and loving sounding.

Back to Mary-Sues. I never liked Mary-Sues as a rule, but like Susan said, if presented from a fresh angle, they can be well done. Mary-Alice Monroe wrote a good romance in the last 2 years called "The 4 Seasons," which I thought was good. She wrote a quasi-Mary-Sue last year called "Girl in the Mirror," which I didn't care for very much. Again, it is all in the presentation, telling and writing.

And yeah, I love the "Cold Creek" story. I thought it was wonderful! I also loved Leslie Wylie's story about Maggie and Paul. It was funny, tasteful, relevant, clever and very fresh and witty! I love it!

I love a good comedy.

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Sep 10, 2002, 04:40 AM   #77
beatlebangs1964

Like Susan, I hate vulgar terms applied to sexual intercourse and the human body. She's right about a loving scene turning into an ugly contrast the minute vulgarites are used. It is like being hit with a ton of bricks -- it also clashes with what is supposed to be loving and tender.

One of my chief complaints against Sidney Sheldon is in addition to writing trash IMHO is that he can't go five pages without throwing in a graphic sex scene, replete with genital descriptions and crass terminology. I hate that! The only reason to read any of his drivel is when you are on a plane or stuck waiting for a long time someplace and one of his books are left within reading reach.

I don't like Sidney Sheldon and some of his stuff can be called quasi-Mary-Sues.

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Sep 10, 2002, 04:40 AM   #78
HMVNipper
Sun King

I'm not a big fan of euphemism either, but I prefer it to "dirty" words. I mean, you also don't want that kind of thing to come off clinical, right?

That story BB mentioned by Leslie Wylie is in the RS archives -- it's called "The Traveler." I love that story, it's very sweet and well done!

------------------

Old Sep 10, 2002, 08:11 AM   #79
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to ImaginePeace78 Send a message via Yahoo to ImaginePeace78

I don't like it when people use dirty words to describe a sex scene, it can be written beautifully too. Once in awhile, for my story (which will have some, um, scenes in it--but at an appropriate time, they will have John say a word every now and then because that's how he was, he used those words--at least every Beatles/John fan knows that.)
Oh, count me in for the "round-robin" storytelling. That should be fun!
-Kristi

------------------
"In the best of times, our days are numbered anyway. And so it would be a crime against nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that we would put off doing those things for which we were intended for in the first place, the oppurtunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to hit a ball and to bounce a baby." --Allistar Cooke

Kristi's Writing Desk
Old Sep 10, 2002, 08:21 AM   #80
Magill
Sun King

Didn't anybody read my silly Mary Sue?

------------------
"It could've been 'the fox terrier is Paul', you know." ~John Lennon
Closed Thread