BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Closed Thread

Old Sep 09, 2002, 05:41 PM   #41
EasternBird
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to EasternBird
Default Re: Create your own Mary-Sue!!!

You gals are cracking me up!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By HMVNipper:
Listen, I still stand by my opinion that SOME Mary Sue stories can be really good, but it all depends on the approach. After all, who HASN'T wished they were the girlfriend of a Beatle or was having steamy sex with said Beatle...(I mean, this mostly pertains to female fans, but you know what I'm getting at...)

Look, I've written a few in my day -- and actually, the story I'm working on now is probably pretty damn close to a Mary Sue...but at least I know how to WRITE, for God's sake!! It CAN be done, and done well, but unfortunately the majority fall into this kind of pathetic category...it's up to those of us who are able to write coherently to do this stuff WELL so we can prove it's not all crap.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to clarify, I do agree that there are some terrific stories out there that would qualify as "Mary Sues." In romances, especially, I think it's very hard to write an original character who isn't a Mary Sue in some way. But it takes great writing and a good plot to pull off a story like this. There are several interesting, well-written stories out there, even at - GASP! - fanfiction.net. Okay, not many, but enough for me to fight my way through all the popup ads once in a while.

I, personally, could never write a romance story at all, because I know I'd just fall into the "Mary Sue" traps. I'm not a skilled enough writer to be able to construct an original character who can stand on her own merits. Which means I'm all the more impressed by those who can.

------------------
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry

Stop Worrying: A Tribute To "HELP!"
Old Sep 09, 2002, 06:01 PM   #42
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Ravena, a black-haired blackbird faced girl with a Playboy bunny figure and a pair of noble assets that would disgrace even Dolly Parton, gazed longingly into the eyes of her Knight in Shining Armor, Sir Paul McCartney as he swept her off her feet with a broom and wastebasket. He thought she was cluttering up the walk way.

Ravena was all set to run off with Sir Paul, but when Sir Paul made it plain he wouldn't have her, she ran off with one of his prize cawing blackbirds instead.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
Old Sep 09, 2002, 06:03 PM   #43
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:
Ravena, a black-haired blackbird faced girl with a Playboy bunny figure and a pair of noble assets that would disgrace even Dolly Parton, gazed longingly into the eyes of her Knight in Shining Armor, Sir Paul McCartney as he swept her off her feet with a broom and wastebasket. He thought she was cluttering up the walk way.

Ravena was all set to run off with Sir Paul, but when Sir Paul made it plain he wouldn't have her, she ran off with one of his prize cawing blackbirds instead.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. September 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
Old Sep 09, 2002, 06:08 PM   #44
beatlebangs1964

Twynkee, a cutie with ass length cornsilk hair, an impossible figure and eyes the color of copper pennies, vowed undying love for Ringo. She gazed longingly into those limpid blue eyes and when she started to pick on his nose, Ringo handed her a box of Kleenex and said, "On your way, duck!"

Twynkee then went on her way and found joy with one of the Eggmen who later taught her to laugh with the Joker. The Joker taught Twynkee to throw pies and she and the Eggman, the Joker and their Three Stooges videos lived happily ever after in clueless bliss.

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Sep 09, 2002, 06:11 PM   #45
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:
Twynkee, a cutie with ass length cornsilk hair, an impossible figure and eyes the color of copper pennies, vowed undying love for Ringo. She gazed longingly into those limpid blue eyes and when she started to pick on his nose, Ringo handed her a box of Kleenex and said, "On your way, duck!"

Twynkee then went on her way and found joy with one of the Eggmen who later taught her to laugh with the Joker. The Joker taught Twynkee to throw pies and she and the Eggman, the Joker and their Three Stooges videos lived happily ever after in clueless bliss.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Beatlegirl's World -- Home of fan fics "The Beatles: Live at 12 Cold Creek Street" and "Days in the Life"
Old Sep 09, 2002, 06:15 PM   #46
beatlebangs1964

Morona, a girl with a Beatle haircut and a figure people only dream about but fewer ever attain and a fringe deeper than a velvet curtain dreamed of meeting her dream Beatle George. John dissed her because she was so darn stupid. A few wisecracks from John convinced Morona John was not going to be "her" Beatle. John didn't like stupid phonies.

In December of 1965 she met George while the Beatles were still in England, chilling out from touring. One look into those deep set eyes and that sexy fringe and that aloof demeanor had her wishing she'd worn a smock for drooling. She mooned over George, mouthing inanties and George said, "I have just the song for you. I wrote it 2 years ago -- 'Don't Bother Me' and listen to the title!"

Morona would miss a truck if it hit her, so George's irony was lost on her. He didn't waste his song on her and she wandered into a theater where the Three Stoogeathon was showing. Moe Howard was sitting in the theater and he had a Beatle haircut, too! She was so stupid she couldn't even throw a pie, so Moe introduced her to Curly who hired her to be Moron of the Month for the rest of her life.

She never did learn to throw a pie, poor lass. And no Beatle would be bothered with her.

The end

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Sep 09, 2002, 06:17 PM   #47
beatlebangs1964

I don't think I could ever write a Mary-Sue, particularly one involving real people I never even met, but do you think I could write good comedy?

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Sep 09, 2002, 06:19 PM   #48
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

I don't think I could ever write a Mary-Sue, particularly one involving real people I never even met, but do you think I could write good comedy?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you definitely could! I'm DYING laughing here reading these Mary-Sues you're coming up with!

------------------
Beatlegirl's World -- Home of fan fics "The Beatles: Live at 12 Cold Creek Street" and "Days in the Life"
Old Sep 09, 2002, 06:24 PM   #49
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Yeah, I agree, go for the comedy angle, BB...I haven't laughed so hard in a LONG time...

OMG!

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. September 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
Old Sep 09, 2002, 06:25 PM   #50
beatlebangs1964

Aw, thanks, guys! You make a comedy lover like me Thanks!

I still like the one with the Eggman and the Joker.

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Sep 09, 2002, 07:07 PM   #51
MonaMe577
Bulldog

I'm really curious, everyone who says they've read a few good romance stories. Can anyone give me an example of one? I'd love to know what everyone considers a "good romance", and then read it to see what makes it so good.

Personally, my favorite love story is the one I just finished watching with my boyfriend: "My Fair Lady". I don't know what it is about Rex Harrison. He's not exactly a sexpot, but there's something so appealing about him--a cold, practical, unfeeling man who shows a little emotion. It's heartbreaking!! Maybe that's why I like John so much...

------------------
... she will cry when she learns we are two...if I fell in love with you ...

"Hello, Homer, I'm George Harrison."
"Oh my God! Where'd you get that brownie?" -- The Simpsons
Old Sep 09, 2002, 07:11 PM   #52
MonaMe577
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By EasternBird:
I, personally, could never write a romance story at all, because I know I'd just fall into the "Mary Sue" traps. I'm not a skilled enough writer to be able to construct an original character who can stand on her own merits. Which means I'm all the more impressed by those who can.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, but EasternBirdy! Your last story was so kewl!!!! When do I get to read the five sequels?

------------------
... she will cry when she learns we are two...if I fell in love with you ...

"Hello, Homer, I'm George Harrison."
"Oh my God! Where'd you get that brownie?" -- The Simpsons

[This Message Has Been Edited By MonaMe577 On September 09, 2002 08:11 PM]
Old Sep 09, 2002, 08:25 PM   #53
beatlebangs1964

Yeah, 'Bird, I want to read the sequels.

Good romances -- "Hello, Dolly!" which is a good comedy as well as a good romance. I love it!

"My Fair Lady" - pure class. I think Rex appeals to you because he had class.

How's this for a Mary-Sue:

Idiota, a wee bonnie lass with eyes the color of shamrocks and as round as Ford taillights were in the 1960s, muscles as taut as Paul's bass strings and hair the color Rose Kennedy's was when she had a good color job yearned for her fave Beatle, Paul. (Ain't Clairol great!) Paul wasn't one to mess with mental midgets, so Idiota was given her walking papers from Sir Paul. One thing she forgot was to get his signature, so she couldn't get anybody to buy them. "Idiota" was no misnomer.

Idiota had an ass as compact as the back seat of a 1962 Chevrolet Impala. "You talk about cool classics more than I do about sex," said one digruntled chap. "You have to have more experience with sex to be able to talk about it," cawed a blackbird. The bird then dropped a deposit onto Idiota's head. Poor Idiota thought it was natural color for her hair.

Just then Mr. City P'liceman busted her for vagrancy and loitering . Idiota ended up in the cooler. Lucy in the Sky was doing time for dealing and while there, Lucy gazed at this new jailbird and it was love behind bars. Those two caged birds sang many a happy Beatles' tune. "Their" song was "Free as a Bird."

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964

[This Message Has Been Edited By beatlebangs1964 On September 09, 2002 09:53 PM]
Old Sep 09, 2002, 08:27 PM   #54
beatlebangs1964

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By HMVNipper:
You better believe it, baby...

Wait, there are worse ones on that site...go on, read, they're all the same...just nauseating. There's even one where she uses her own name for her character -- classic crappy Mary Sue-ism!!! And of course, all her little "fans" think the stories are "sooooooooo kewl!"

Believe it or not, her stuff used to be WORSE!!!

And I'm with you on the "Winston" thing -- ditto "Johnny." I dunno, I'm not a nickname person anyway, but to me, JOHN was never a "Johnny." Gets to me EVERY TIME!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I confess, "Winston" is my least favorite name. I don't mean to insult anyone, but I think it is a gruesome name and I don't blame John for wanting to ditch it.

Yeah, that site does post some hair raising material. I wonder if some of our parodies and the Mary-Sue test might help folks formulate stories of higher caliber? At least they could "seriously " take up comedy!

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Sep 09, 2002, 08:37 PM   #55
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

I used to belong to a fanfic writer's group online and there was one chick there who had no clue...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that's the same group I'm still subscribed to (I took myself off the daily mailings over a year ago, though I pop in on the website once in a great while to see what's going on), the membership and number of postings has severely dwindled since last summer. *gasp* Maybe the Mary Sues have finally run out of ideas!

------------------
Old Sep 09, 2002, 08:50 PM   #56
beatlebangs1964

I'm no fan of the Mary-Sue genre, but do you think the folks at the Mary-Sue board would like our Mary-Sues? I think they're a SCREAM!

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Sep 09, 2002, 08:54 PM   #57
EasternBird
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to EasternBird

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By MonaMe577:
Oh, but EasternBirdy! Your last story was so kewl!!!! When do I get to read the five sequels?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, you shouldn't tempt me...

Angelina and Paul are very happy together in San Francisco. Angelina goes to school and Paul - or should I say William - is the night manager of a Chick-Fil-A. And the only other person who knows who Paul really is is Angelina's best friend, Destinee Sabrina DeBeaumarchais. Destinee is a HUGE Ringo fan, with radiant auburn ragweed pollen dust mold pet dander hair and sparkling emerald ruby diamond eyes.

Everything is just gear! Except that John, George, and Ringo (who are all still alive, y'see, due to Angelina's interference) are miserable because Paul left them back in 1966 and "Sgt. Pepper" never happened. But one day John spots Paul and figures out the truth. John begs Paul to go back to 1966 so they can be together again (A/N: No, not that way! EEEEEWW!) But Paul refuses because John is so old and scary. But Destinee wants to meet Ringo, and Angelina feels bad because the Beatles are so sad without him, so Paul agrees to take them back for a visit.

They go back and Paul realizes how much he missed his old mates, so he and Angelina stay back in 1966. Destinee falls in love with Ringo, who is mesmerized by her incredible singing voice and mastery of many musical instruments, especially the mellophone. (A/N: I play the mellophone in band! It's kewl!!!!) They get married and live happily ever after. (A/N: Oh yeah, Ringo was married then. OK, Maureen cheats on him or something.) And Paul and Angelina live happily ever after and have 3 kids named Vera, Chuck, and Beyonce. John reconciles with Cynthia and they live happily ever after (A/N: because I hate Yoko!!). And George inexplicably disappears halfway through the story. But it's safe to assume he lived happily ever after.

------------------
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry

Stop Worrying: A Tribute To "HELP!"
Old Sep 09, 2002, 08:57 PM   #58
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

BTW, if anyone wants the URL for the website with some examples of what I mentioned earlier, send me a private email, I won't post the URL here because that's too cruel...but you'll die laughing, EVERY STORY is completely pathetic -- EXACTLY what we're all sneering at here!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I remember that site very well...you don't even need to say the name of it! Definitely makes me want to cringe.

Unfortunately, it IS true that a LOT of fan fic out there is of that caliber. I don't read much fan fic online anymore because most of it is written by 14-year-olds (yes, I was once 14 too and had no clue, but even then I knew better about spelling things right and checking punctuation), and I don't have *time* to sort through what's good and what's not. I write what I would like to read, and that's typically something original. Even if it's a typical Beatle-meets-girl story, it's ALL IN THE APPROACH, as it's been said time upon time.

And here I've been ripping my own story apart getting it ready to publish in book form, thinking it's awful. Well, that's us Virgos for ya--we're perfectionists. At least I can use spell-check and know where to put punctuation, so even if the story sucks, the English mechanics are okay.

Sorry for the rambling...this is what tends to happen to me at the end of the day. Heck, I wrote half my fan fics at this point of the day!

------------------
Old Sep 09, 2002, 09:03 PM   #59
beatlebangs1964

I love this thread! I haven't laughed this hard since Beatlefest Chicago! You guys have certainly brightened up my day and night, yeah, yeah, yeah!

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Sep 09, 2002, 09:12 PM   #60
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

I love this thread! I haven't laughed this hard since Beatlefest Chicago! You guys have certainly brightened up my day and night, yeah, yeah, yeah!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, we all have to get together and chat and make up some more Mary Sues together! I bet if we all put our heads together like, OMG, we can put together the BEST Mary Sue EVER!! I could give up my day job and live off the profits of those stories alone! Do you think anyone will mind if I steal Clarity Krystal Amber Delacroix Merrriweather-yellow-matter-custard Haven's name and use it in my story?

I miss Beatlefest!! I don't know about the Boston one for me (I may be in the middle of a job switch by then--who knows), but Chicago next year is already penciled into my planner.

Okay, somebody needs sleep! This is what working with two-year-olds does to me!!

------------------
Closed Thread