BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Old Aug 26, 2002, 04:50 AM   #41
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964
Default Re: Beatles Mary-Sue Test

Jim! Glad you're here and posting on the Beatle boards!

I'm one of the folks who are about as pro-Paul as you'll find and my method is to write about fictitious characters around the Beatles without giving fictitious accounts of history or of the moptops themselves.

For me, Paul is an easy Beatle to write fan fic about because he was very much the public persona; like you said, Paul is the ultimate businessman; Paul appears to be very gracious to his public at large and his work is fun to discuss and write about.

I find it is a real skill to write fiction about real people that I don't even know; in so doing, I find myself thinking, "it's not really Ringo, it's just a fictitious character with his name;" or "it's not really Paul, it's just a made up character based on Paul." In reading Rooftop Sessions contributions, I have seen where any number of contributors have written really good stories where their "literary" Beatles are believable; their "literary" Beatles are assigned lines and characteristics that don't deviate from the public personas that the world at large knows. That is a real skill.

Like Susan, I've had a story burning in my mind for a long time now, but fleshing it out on paper is going to take some doing. In some cases, it can be a tad frightening to take the plunge -- giving physical "form" to a story that has been a "private thought" for a long time is indeed a challenge. That is one of many reasons I love Rooftop Sessions so much -- it provides you with a forum to tell stories and hone your skills as a story teller.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964

[This Message Has Been Edited By beatlebangs1964 On September 08, 2002 07:41 AM]
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 02:56 PM   #42
MonaMe577
Bulldog

Imagine--

Yes, I did get it. I haven't really had a chance to read it yet, because today was MonaMe's first day back to college! I promise, I will send you some feedback soon.

Lisa

------------------
... she will cry when she learns we are two...if I fell in love with you ...

"Hello, Homer, I'm George Harrison."
"Oh my God! Where'd you get that brownie?" -- The Simpsons
MonaMe577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 05:31 PM   #43
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By MonaMe577:
Susan--

I posted a little more under my original story heading, the thread called, "Last Rewrite, I promise!" Would you mind taking a look at that and letting me know what you think? I'd really apprecaite the input. Thanks!

--Lisa

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lisa, I read your post and commented...just wanted to make sure you saw it. I thought it was GREAT, can't wait to see the whole story!!!!

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. August 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 09:20 PM   #44
angelgodiva
Bulldog

Well, Destiny from I WISH YOU LOVE scored well (a 10), but of course I also had I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU, which was a no-no, (my own name for the main character because it was non-fictional). I am biracial (half Irish, half Native American), but I never happened to mention that in the story, because it didn't seem relevant.
I am most comfortable writing John, and it was my mother's fault that he was my favorite--she just hated him SO MUCH after that whole Jesus deal! If not for her, I probably would not have done more than say hello to him when we chanced to meet. (Thanks, mom!)
The stories I am doing at the moment don't have any fictional characters in them, so I guess they're safe...

------------------
PEACE ON YA!
angelgodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2002, 08:56 AM   #45
MonaMe577
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By angelgodiva:
I am biracial (half Irish, half Native American), but I never happened to mention that in the story, because it didn't seem relevant.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Angel--

I don't think being bi-racial in itself makes a character a Mary-Sue; it's only when the author makes a big deal out of it (like devoting two pages to her "creamy mocha skin" and "dazzling sapphire eyes.")

I'm a John writer myself; the story I'm working on right now features John. However, I have a much harder time trying to write him, partly cause I'm such a control freak about his dialogue. I really want to make sure it sounds authentic, like the John of the mid 60's: cocky and cynical, but capable of so much affection. Easier said than done, but it's coming along.

------------------

Old Aug 27, 2002, 12:47 PM   #46
MonaMe577
Bulldog

Does anyone ever actually read the feedback on www.fanfiction.net! God, that's almost funnier than the actual story!! You get some crazy, perfect Mary-Sue in her nauseating story, and the feedback all basically reads like this:

OMG! OMG! That was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!

To quote "A Hard Day's Night" (kinda)--they come from a large family!

------------------

[This Message Has Been Edited By MonaMe577 On August 27, 2002 01:47 PM]
Old Aug 27, 2002, 02:54 PM   #47
beatlegirl273
Rocky Raccoon

Can someone give me the address for that? I'd rather take that on the site than reading it on here. If that's possible.

------------------
Give me that beat, boy, and free my soul. I want to get lost in your rock and roll and drift away.
(Check out the pic. Think of Linda saying it...)
beatlegirl273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2002, 03:16 PM   #48
HMVNipper
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By MonaMe577:
Does anyone ever actually read the feedback on www.fanfiction.net! God, that's almost funnier than the actual story!! You get some crazy, perfect Mary-Sue in her nauseating story, and the feedback all basically reads like this:

OMG! OMG! That was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!

To quote "A Hard Day's Night" (kinda)--they come from a large family!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is why *I* have submission guidelines, MonaMe! I expect stories I publish to live up to certain standards, and Fanfiction.net has no guidelines at all, people can just post whatever they want.

I like to think that Rooftop Sessions caters to the discerning Beatles fanfic reader -- and this is not to say that I won't publish Mary Sues, either, but as I said earlier, it's all in the approach! Maybe I'm a harsh critic, but judging by the feedback Rooftop Sessions gets, we've got readers with much more discriminating tastes!

If you're talking about the Rooftop Sessions URL, beatlegirl, it's in my sig.

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. August 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
Old Aug 27, 2002, 05:49 PM   #49
beatlebangs1964

[quote]Originally Posted By MonaMe577:
Is YOUR character a Mary-Sue?

Section 1 - The Name Game

Is the character named after you? (This can be any part of your first name, middle name, last name, nickname, or online identity.) If so, stop now. Put your pencil (mouse?) down and turn in your test. [35] NO, NEVER! Even when I was a little girl I didn't like having my name put in stories. My characters are never born in my birth month and none of my characters ever have my birthdate regardless of month either.

DO NOT NAME YOUR CHARACTER AFTER YOURSELF.
DO NOT NAME YOURSELF AFTER YOUR CHARACTER.
THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS!!!

-- Is the character's name an unusual spelling of a more common name or word? [1] No, never

-- Is the character's name unusual in another way? No, never

A female with a male-sounding name? [1] No

A female version of any Beatle’s name?[3] No, never! Too obvious, like parking a large truck in the middle of a room.

A name the character chose for herself, because she "didn't want to forget" something? [1] No

A noun or adjective not normally used for a name (i.e. Tranquility) [1] Ugh! Never!

-- Does the character’s name have a pronunciation that isn’t readily obvious? [1] No, because that can make readers feel shut out

-- Is your character named after any Beatles song (i.e. Julia, Eleanor, Michelle)? (1) No, because that's just too obvious. And no lovely Ritas or Lindas, Heathers, Janes, Patties, Olivias, Cynthias, Yokos, Maureens, Barbaras, Prudences or Lucys either.

-- Does the character have an unusual nickname that everyone uses instead of her real name? (i.e. Her name is Jane, but everyone calls her Butterfly.) [1] No! And female characters are not Magill who call themselves Lil, but everyone knows them as Nancy, either.

-- Does the character have a “really cool” name that you wish you had? [1] No.

-- Is the character's name in the title of the story? [5] No

-- Did you spend more than a day looking for just the right name? [1] No. In my case, the characters just "arrive" with names intact.

-- Would you ever give your child or a pet the character's name? [1] no

Section 2 - Physical Attributes

-- Is the character the same gender as you? [1] It depends on the story. Some of my stories have male protagonists, others female and in some cases child protagonists. My stories have protagonists of all ages and a myriad of backgrounds, e.g. religious, ethnic and national as well as differing ideologies.

-- Is the character from the same racial group as you? (Note: answer yes to this question if the character is an alien or a magical being.) [1] My characters are different races based on the story and how the "characters" came into literary being.

-- Is the character multi-racial? [1] None of my female protagonists are. I have had other characters who were members of more than one racial group. It depends on the story and how race fits in.

More than two races? [3] If this question is about a female protagonist, the answer is no. However, I have had other characters who belonged to more than one racial group, but never any female protagonist.

-- Does the character have traits that are not common to her particular race? (i.e. a character who is Japanese and has blue eyes.) [4] No.

-- Is the character a teenager or in her early twenties? [1] My characters are all ages. More often than not, the protagonists are adult characters.

-- If not, does the character look like she is a teenager or in her early twenties
for no apparent reason? [2] No.

For a magical or special scientific reason? [2] No, never.

That you plan on making a plot point later? [1] No.

-- Is the character stunningly beautiful? [1] Naah, that's just too trite, too cliche and too implausible.

-- Do one or more of the Beatles find the character highly attractive? [1] No, this is just not applicable.

Do the other Beatles see her as a threat because of this? [1] No. Again, this does not apply.

-- Does the character have an unusual eye color (violet counts)? [3] No, and none of my characters have kaleidoscope eyes, either.

Will this be a plot point later? [1] About eye color? No, never.

-- Does the character have really nice hair that you describe more than once, or on the first page? [1] No. If there is any reaon to mention the hair, there will be a relevant description in a relevant place in the story, but emphasis will not be placed on it.

-- Do you give us a complete physical description of the character on the first page? (height, weight, age, hair, eyes, etc.) [2] No. That generally comes later in the story if it is relevant.

Section 3 - Personal Traits

-- Is the character the long-lost child/descendent/sibling of a Beatle? [1]
No, never.

-- Was the character adopted or did she live with people who were not her parents as a child? [1] No, never.

-- Did the character have a tragic youth? (Examples: abuse, neglect, abandonment, sexual trauma, second or third-class cultural status, slavery, extreme poverty, forced criminality, or being the sole survivor of any disaster) [3] No, none of my protagonists. The above listed adversities are not found in any of my stories. Peripheral characters have "given" personal accounts of adversities of one degree or another, however. Again, it depends on how the characters "arrive" and "present" themselves. None of my characters have the completely implausible "perfect life of halcyon days without hitches" and I'd like to think they sound like plausible literary people folks can relate to and identify with to a certain degree.

-- Does the character suffer from guilt about something terrible that she did in the past? [1] No.

-- Do the other characters eventually convince her that it wasn’t her fault? [1] No, never.

-- Did the character have an unusual birth? [1] No.

-- Does the character have a twin or a clone of the same gender? [2] No.

About whom you plan on writing another story later? [2] My stories tend to be self contained. My characters are "Dixie Cup" characters -- used once and that's it as a general rule.

-- Does the character have an extraordinary singing voice? [2] No.

Or play a musical instrument amazingly well? [1] Some of my characters are musical.

The guitar or flute, for instance? [2] Some do, but they are in the minority and they aren't Beatles or characters who even know the Beatles personally.

More than one instrument? [2] No.

-- Does the character do what you do for fun or profit? (This includes having the same job you have, or would like to have, or having a job that sounds like a lot of fun even though you know nothing about it.) [1] No. None of my characters have ever held down any job that I have had. Ever. The characters have jobs tailored to their literary needs, endowments, abilities and job offers and also how this fits into the story. Some of my characters have had jobs nobody could pay me to do!

-- Is your character extremely intelligent? [1] Most of my characters are very bright. Since I am very bright, that is often reflected in how the characters express themselves, the literary dynamics among the characters and in how the story is written. I have had characters who were nonverbal for any number of reasons; others who have had major challenges and some who were mute for various reasons.

-- Does she know facts that most ordinary people would not normally know? (i.e. the batting average of every member of the New York Yankees, from 1945-1950) [1] No.

-- Is the character a professional singer? [3]
An actress? [2]
A model? [1]
A songwriter/dancer/producer/band
manager? [2]
A fan? [5]
No to all of the above.

-- Is this character royalty of any type? [3] No, never.

That she does not originally know about? [3] No, never.

-- Does the character make more wisecracks than John Lennon? [1] No.

Because John Lennon is your favorite Beatle? [1] No. I'm a McCartney-Harrison fan and my characters are not based on Paul or George.

-- Does everyone end up liking your character (at least among the characters you like)? [1] Good question. Some of my characters have been impossible to like. In fact, some of my characters were so odious I didn't like them! It really depends upon the character and the story.

Section 4 - Super Powers

-- Does the character have any form of magical/superhuman powers? [2] No, never!

-- Is your character from another planet? [2] No, never.

-- Does the character have telekinesis or telepathy? (Answer yes if the character has a twin.) [2] No, never.

-- Is your character psychic, or does she just "know things" for no apparent reason? [2] No, never.

-- Can the character fly? [1] No, never.

Without the aid of wings? [2] And without the aid of Paul McCartney, too! My characters don't fly unless they're in an aircraft.

-- Do animals (especially cute, fuzzy ones) instinctively like the character? [2] This is not a major point in any of my stories, but in some stories, characters have pets. None of my characters are "animal magnets." At no time are animals the protagonists or focal points in any of my stories.

Section 5 - The Love Connection

-- Does the character fall in love with and/or have sex with one or more of the Beatles? [3] No, Never!

Because you want to have sex with one or more of the Beatles? [1] No, never.

-- Does the character fall in love with and/or have sex with another person from the music world? (Think: A Beatle’s brother, a dancer, a producer, a songwriter, etc.) No, never. My characters do not have intercourse with Beatles or real people even remotely associated with the Moptops.

[1] (Add an extra point if that person is Brian Epstein.) Subtract an extra bonus point if it isn't.

With whom you would like to fall in love and/or have sex? [1] No.

-- Does the character fall in love with and/or have sex with another original character? [1] No. Some stories are about couples and let's face it, intercourse is part of the marital relationship, but I don't write about it.

With whom you would like to fall in love and/or have sex? [1] No, never. Fictitious characters don't hold an erotic appeal for me.

-- Does the story feature the character's wedding? [1] No.

To a Beatle? [2] No, never.

And is attended by one or more Beatles and/or Brian Epstein, Mal Evans, etc.? [2] No, never.

Section 6 - The Real World and Your Character

-- Would you like to be friends with the character if you met in real life? [1] No, never. I never thought about it and in response, this does not apply. n/a

-- Do you think everyone who reads the story should automatically like the character and want to be friends with the character? [1] I never thought about that either. Nobody is obliged to like my stories or my characters. In fact, some of my characters have been right bastards!

-- If someone tells you he/she doesn't like your character, do you take it as a personal attack on you? [1] No.

-- Do you ever pretend, just to yourself, that you are the character? (Be honest!) [1] No, never!

Section 7 - The Fiendish Plot

-- Do you introduce the character and give us her complete life history on the first page of the story? [2] No. To quote George Harrison, "It's All Too Much!"

-- Do you tell the story from the character's point of view, all or mostly? [1] Yeah. I "keep out" of my stories.

-- Does the character meet the Beatles, and after a few tense pages of plot, become friends with them? [2] No, never.

-- Does your character die for any reason? [5] None of my female protagonists have died. However, some of my "peripheral" characters have died from illness or in accidents. Again, it depends on the story in question.

When she dies, do one or more of the Beatles go into deep mourning? [1] No, and again, this doesn't apply.

Is she brought back to life by the end of the story? (This includes your character being presumed dead, but turning up alive after all.) [4] No, never. Whenever any of my characters meet up with a literary demise, it is ball game over, curtain down, final curtain, the end of that character.

Is she brought back to life in a sequel? [4] No, never.

-- Does the character manage to develop a friendship with an otherwise villainous character, and through this friendship, reform the other character? [2] No, never.

Is the villain in question Yoko Ono? [1] No!

Is the villain in question Mark David Chapman? [10] (Note: DON'T write a story like this. Ever.) I never would. And no, the Jerk of Jerks is never in any story I write!

-- Does the villain become evil again after the character dies, but retain some last vestige of goodness from his/her interaction with the character, evidenced in one selfless action at the end of the story? [4] No, too cliche for me.

-- Does the character save the day and/or another character's life? [3] Another worn out, tired old chestnut IMHO. No, never.

Through magical/mystical intervention? [1] This hoary old chestnut is never used by me.

Through dying? [3] No.
Through almost dying? [2] No.
-- Do you plan to write many more stories revolving around this character? [1] No. As I said earlier, my characters are used once and then it's final curtain.

Scoring:

0-14: Developed character, unlikely Mary-Sue.

+8. Whew, what a relief!

[size="1"][ Apr 22, 2003, 10:43 AM: Message Edited By: beatlebangs1964 ][/size]
Old Aug 28, 2002, 12:07 PM   #50
beatlebangs1964

How did the name "Mary-Sue" get coined? And by whom?

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Aug 28, 2002, 12:18 PM   #51
BrazilianFlag
Bulldog

I heard a version on which Mary Sue was a damsel in disgrace character at Star Trek fanfics. Never got to know whether it was true or not!

Anna

------------------
Been beat up and battered 'round
Been sent up, and I've been shot down
You're the best thing that I've ever found
Handle me with care
BrazilianFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2002, 12:47 PM   #52
HMVNipper
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By lisa465:

I don't know - I've seen some pretty damn good writing on fanfiction.net. Even though a lot of it is crap, there are some gems in there. I don't think it's as bad a place as a lot of people make it out to be. And I'm not one of the "OMG" people either. I'm pretty discerning - I'm working on a MFA in Creative Writing.

I do like your Rooftop Sessions Susan, and you're right - it is probably more "top notch" than any other place. I think one of the reasons fanfiction.net is interesting to me is because it has all levels and all scopes of stories and people are "free" to post whatever they want. It's kind of cool. To me, anyway.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Point well taken, Lisa...I've not found anything I care for on fanfiction.net, but that doesn't mean there isn't anything worth reading there...perhaps I've just missed it. I'm always willing to read stories -- in my case, though, they have to engage me pretty quickly or I give up!

If you can think of anything you've read there that's worth pursuing, I'd be glad to know the URL or the title and give it a try...I'm not so arrogant that I can't be proven wrong!

Thanks, though, for your kind comments regarding Rooftop!
------------------

[This Message Has Been Edited By HMVNipper On August 28, 2002 01:48 PM]
Old Aug 28, 2002, 04:10 PM   #53
MonaMe577
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By BrazilianFlag:
I heard a version on which Mary Sue was a damsel in disgrace character at Star Trek fanfics. Never got to know whether it was true or not!

Anna

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true. The original Mary-Sue was a perky ensign in a piece of Star Trek fan-fiction from 1972 or 1973. She has an absolutely stunning singing voice, manages to seduce both Kirk and Spock, saves the day when the three of them are locked in an enemy cell (she jimmies the lock with a hairpin), and dies in a blaze of glory, sending both Kirk and Spock into deep mourning. Yeesh!

------------------

Old Aug 28, 2002, 05:07 PM   #54
JDanRyan
Wild Honey Pie

This is true. The original Mary-Sue was a perky ensign in a piece of Star Trek fan-fiction from 1972 or 1973. She has an absolutely stunning singing voice, manages to seduce both Kirk and Spock, saves the day when the three of them are locked in an enemy cell (she jimmies the lock with a hairpin), and dies in a blaze of glory, sending both Kirk and Spock into deep mourning. Yeesh!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

God, another thing to blame on the Trekkers...

Nice people, most of them; some of my second-best friends, you know, but boy, what they do to property values. You understand...

And I just KNOW someone's going to take me to task for this...

------------------
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - Dr. Strangelove

"Democracies die behind closed doors" - Judge Damon J. Keith
JDanRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2002, 08:14 PM   #55
beatlebangs1964

Mr. Spock has a Beatle haircut. There's the Beatle connection right there, yeah, yeah, yeah!

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Aug 28, 2002, 08:30 PM   #56
JDanRyan
Wild Honey Pie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:
Mr. Spock has a Beatle haircut. There's the Beatle connection right there, yeah, yeah, yeah!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Supposedly, it was the Beatles that gave Walter Koenig his big break. According to Shatner's STAR TREK MEMORIES, while officially Roddenberry claimed Chekov was added to the bridge to show that the Russians were invited to the 23rd Century, the real reason he got the job was his close resemblence to one of the Beatles. (He never says which, although he does have a lot of George's and John's features...) There's good reason to doubt most of Shatner's claims, both in the book and elsewhere, but then again a few seasons later NBC did commission THE MONKEYS, so hey hey...

("We are the Beatles of Borg, luv; we all live in a great big gleaming cube, a great big gleaming cube, a great big gleaming cube")

------------------
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - Dr. Strangelove

"Democracies die behind closed doors" - Judge Damon J. Keith
JDanRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2002, 11:59 PM   #57
lisa465
Day Tripper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By HMVNipper:

Which is why *I* have submission guidelines, MonaMe! I expect stories I publish to live up to certain standards, and Fanfiction.net has no guidelines at all, people can just post whatever they want.

I like to think that Rooftop Sessions caters to the discerning Beatles fanfic reader -- and this is not to say that I won't publish Mary Sues, either, but as I said earlier, it's all in the approach! Maybe I'm a harsh critic, but judging by the feedback Rooftop Sessions gets, we've got readers with much more discriminating tastes!

If you're talking about the Rooftop Sessions URL, beatlegirl, it's in my sig.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know - I've seen some pretty damn good writing on fanfiction.net. Even though a lot of it is crap, there are some gems in there. I don't think it's as bad a place as a lot of people make it out to be. And I'm not one of the "OMG" people either. I'm pretty discerning - I'm working on a MFA in Creative Writing.

I do like your Rooftop Sessions Susan, and you're right - it is probably more "top notch" than any other place. I think one of the reasons fanfiction.net is interesting to me is because it has all levels and all scopes of stories and people are "free" to post whatever they want. It's kind of cool. To me, anyway.

------------------
lisa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2002, 05:51 AM   #58
BrazilianFlag
Bulldog

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the enlightment, Mona...Yeesh times ten! I didn't know the story was THAT bad...

Just for the record, friends - of all Mary Sue traits, which's the one you hate the most?

Anna

------------------
Been beat up and battered 'round
Been sent up, and I've been shot down
You're the best thing that I've ever found
Handle me with care
BrazilianFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2002, 06:54 AM   #59
beatlebangs1964

I never cared for the romance genre. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings because the romance genre has a strong following, but it is just not my cup of tea.

I don't like Mary-Sues because I personally find them trite and cliched. The outcome is predictable and you can usually sum the story and its outcome up inside of a few seconds. Also "Mary-Sue" herself is too good to be believed and is a character most folks can neither empathize with nor relate to.

That's just my take on it.

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964

[This Message Has Been Edited By beatlebangs1964 On September 08, 2002 08:34 AM]
Old Aug 29, 2002, 06:54 AM   #60
beatlebangs1964

darn double posts

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964

[This Message Has Been Edited By beatlebangs1964 On September 08, 2002 08:37 AM]