BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Old Aug 23, 2002, 09:24 PM   #21
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to ImaginePeace78 Send a message via Yahoo to ImaginePeace78
Default Re: Beatles Mary-Sue Test

No, MonaMe, my story is not on any site anywhere yet. I hope to get it on Rooftopsessions soon. But I have a while to go before that happens! Thanks for your interest in my story. I have some chapters written, if you're interested, I can send some to you. Or you could wait until the finished product gets on Rooftop Sessions. Whichever you prefer is fine.
-Kristi

------------------
"In the best of times, our days are numbered anyway. And so it would be a crime against nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that we would put off doing those things for which we were intended for in the first place, the oppurtunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to hit a ball and to bounce a baby." --Allistar Cooke

Kristi's Writing Desk
ImaginePeace78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2002, 10:08 PM   #22
MonaMe577
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlegirl9977:
For me, John and Paul are the easiest two to write convincingly. I can hear John's wisecracks in my head even before I need to write them. And as for Paul...well, when you've been obsessed with him for as long as I have, it's easy to write him (and Paul is fun to write, believe me!) For some reason I have the worst time writing a decent George or Ringo character, though.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you're the famous Tina Kukla, huh?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading both of your stories. In a way, you've written the Holy Grail of fanfiction--12CC is a standard that many try (and many others fail) to reach! I'm in awe ...

I'm trying my darnedest to write one of my own, but in these final days, I've discovered that editing is a bitch!!

Anyone, nice to hear from you, and keep appearing on the board!!

------------------
... she will cry when she learns we are two...if I fell in love with you ...

"Hello, Homer, I'm George Harrison."
"Oh my God! Where'd you get that brownie?" -- The Simpsons
MonaMe577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2002, 10:15 PM   #23
MonaMe577
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By ImaginePeace78:
No, MonaMe, my story is not on any site anywhere yet. I hope to get it on Rooftopsessions soon. But I have a while to go before that happens!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imagine - you too, huh?

Writing fan-fiction is one thing. Writing GOOD fan-fiction is a very SSSLLLOOOWWW thing ...

Anyway, I'd love to read some of your chapters. It might *cough* HELP *cough* with my story ... J/K!

------------------

Old Aug 23, 2002, 10:48 PM   #24
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By MonaMe577:
So you're the famous Tina Kukla, huh?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading both of your stories. In a way, you've written the Holy Grail of fanfiction--12CC is a standard that many try (and many others fail) to reach! I'm in awe ...

I'm trying my darnedest to write one of my own, but in these final days, I've discovered that editing is a bitch!!

Anyone, nice to hear from you, and keep appearing on the board!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the praise--positive feedback is what we writers live for! It sure wasn't an easy fic to write in many ways...but even I like to sit and read it sometimes.

Oh, believe me, editing is my worst nightmare. I'm trying to get 12CC in order for publication...and even after going through my extensive re-write six times, I'm STILL finding typos!

I *do* finally have my cover art about 90% done, though...I worked on it all day yesterday, and it will be ready to go after some fine-tuning. (A sneak peek of it is on the intro page for 12CC on my site, if anyone is interested...feedback is welcome...)

------------------
Beatlegirl's World -- Home of fan fics "The Beatles: Live at 12 Cold Creek Street" and "Days in the Life"
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2002, 11:01 PM   #25
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to ImaginePeace78 Send a message via Yahoo to ImaginePeace78

MonaMe,
Yes, writing quality fan fiction takes forever!! Sometimes I wish I were finished! But then I'd miss writing my story.
Let me know what your e-mail is and I'll send you some chapters I already have written.
-Kristi

------------------
"In the best of times, our days are numbered anyway. And so it would be a crime against nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that we would put off doing those things for which we were intended for in the first place, the oppurtunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to hit a ball and to bounce a baby." --Allistar Cooke

Kristi's Writing Desk
Old Aug 23, 2002, 11:13 PM   #26
MonaMe577
Bulldog

My e-mail is

monalisa_777@hotmail.com

If I start getting spam from anybody, I'm going to be MIGHTY upset

------------------

[This Message Has Been Edited By MonaMe577 On August 24, 2002 12:14 AM]
Old Aug 24, 2002, 03:49 AM   #27
BrazilianFlag
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlegirl9977:
For some reason I have the worst time writing a decent George or Ringo character, though.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ram on!
On my turn, I could never write a decent McCartney character...
I was so tired of not finding good romances with my favourite beatle (i.e Ringo) that I decided to write my own stories...not easy, though! It's hard to picture him!

Anna

PS - Tina, hope you remember me - I'm Anna from the Beatles' Embassy.

------------------
Been beat up and battered 'round
Been sent up, and I've been shot down
You're the best thing that I've ever found
Handle me with care
=-=-=-=-
I don't ask for much
I only want your trust And you know
It don't come easy
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
BrazilianFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2002, 10:16 AM   #28
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By BrazilianFlag:
Ram on!
On my turn, I could never write a decent McCartney character...
I was so tired of not finding good romances with my favourite beatle (i.e Ringo) that I decided to write my own stories...not easy, though! It's hard to picture him!

Anna

PS - Tina, hope you remember me - I'm Anna from the Beatles' Embassy.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I remember you! There's not many other Annas from Brazil that I've met online. Glad to see you here!

------------------
Beatlegirl's World -- Home of fan fics "The Beatles: Live at 12 Cold Creek Street" and "Days in the Life"
Old Aug 24, 2002, 10:26 AM   #29
BrazilianFlag
Bulldog

There's not many other Annas from Brazil that I've met online.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, and the offer of Brazilian Annas writing fanfics are even shorter!

Heard you'll be on Beatlefest - good luck!

Anna

------------------
Been beat up and battered 'round
Been sent up, and I've been shot down
You're the best thing that I've ever found
Handle me with care
=-=-=-=-
I don't ask for much
I only want your trust And you know
It don't come easy
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
BrazilianFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2002, 04:07 PM   #30
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Hey Anna, it's Susan from Rooftop Sessions here...I thought that might be you! Glad to see you on the Links!!

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. August 2002 Issue Now Up!

Come see me and your favorite Rooftop Sessions authors at the Chicago Beatlefest - August 16-18!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2002, 04:10 PM   #31
HMVNipper
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By MonaMe577:
Writing fan-fiction is one thing. Writing GOOD fan-fiction is a very SSSLLLOOOWWW thing ...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You better believe it...at least it is for me! I've got a story I've been working on for over a year...got stuck, unfortunately, and while I like the story overall, it's been slow going. Sigh...

But I also think that in order to write a good story, it shouldn't just be churned out quickly, because that's where a lot of errors arise and where poor writing skills show!

BTW, MonaMe, if you want someone to go over your story for extra editing, I'd be happy to...sometimes it really helps when another pair of eyes goes over something. Lemme know...

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. August 2002 Issue Now Up!

Come see me and your favorite Rooftop Sessions authors at the Chicago Beatlefest - August 16-18!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
Old Aug 24, 2002, 04:14 PM   #32
HMVNipper
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By lennon4:
Susan- I know what you mean about the good girl/bad boy thing. I'm pretty much as good as a girl can be, and my mom CANNOT understand why I'm obsessed with John Lennon and people that I think are similar to him. Oh well...I just can't help it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG, Kristin, I TOTALLY understand...my mom tried for YEARS to get me to like ANYONE but John, to no avail...and I spent all my dating life looking for a man who even came CLOSE in terms of wit and intelligence. I used to think I'd set an impossibly high mark that no one would ever reach until I met my husband!

I think it's the thrill...John's just that LITTLE bit scary, and it's exciting...

------------------

Old Aug 24, 2002, 04:47 PM   #33
MonaMe577
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By HMVNipper:

BTW, MonaMe, if you want someone to go over your story for extra editing, I'd be happy to...sometimes it really helps when another pair of eyes goes over something. Lemme know...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd appreciate that. First off, however, I've got to string a few coherent chapters together. See, that's my biggest problem as a writer--I write out of order. An idea comes to me about an event later on in the story, and I write it down quickly for fear of it blowing off in the breeze. Then I'm stuck with a chapter 7 when I have no chapter 5 or 6. Bad habit!!

------------------

Old Aug 24, 2002, 04:56 PM   #34
JDanRyan
Wild Honey Pie

Hey Tina, it's Jim, Nipper's husband. I finally joined up, and saw your post, below:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlegirl9977 [edited]:
... And as for Paul...well, when you've been obsessed with him for as long as I have, it's easy to write him (and Paul is fun to write, believe me!) ...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Out of curiosity, Tina, how would you characterize Paul as a character if you were writing him? I'm looking at doing a Paul piece for later consideration by Ye Editor, and I was working with the idea of Paul as a man blessed with good looks and charm with a healthy dose of good luck, a man who knows he has these and weilds them effectively. Is this a fair characterization, or is there something missing in this writer's guideline?
Thanks in advance for the consideration of this.

------------------
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - Dr. Strangelove
JDanRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2002, 05:08 PM   #35
JDanRyan
Wild Honey Pie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By MonaMe577 [edited]:
Section 4 - Super Powers
-- Does the character have any form of magical/superhuman powers? [2]
-- Is your character from another planet? [2]
-- Can the character fly? [1]
Without the aid of wings? [2]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, there goes my story involving John, Supergirl and the plan by Star Sapphire to use the Beatles to rule the world...

Ah who am I kidding? DC would have me shipped to the Phanotm Zone so fast I wouldn't get the last paragraph written... Ah well.

------------------
Old Aug 24, 2002, 06:49 PM   #36
HMVNipper
Sun King

I'd appreciate that. First off, however, I've got to string a few coherent chapters together. See, that's my biggest problem as a writer--I write out of order. An idea comes to me about an event later on in the story, and I write it down quickly for fear of it blowing off in the breeze. Then I'm stuck with a chapter 7 when I have no chapter 5 or 6. Bad habit!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HA! I do that too...which has left me with a lot of little bits that need stringing together on various occasions. Not an easy thing to do...so I've tried to wean myself off that habit.

Well, let me know if you want to send anything to me whenever you are ready, I'll be glad to help!

------------------

Old Aug 24, 2002, 11:45 PM   #37
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By JDanRyan:
Out of curiosity, Tina, how would you characterize Paul as a character if you were writing him? I'm looking at doing a Paul piece for later consideration by Ye Editor, and I was working with the idea of Paul as a man blessed with good looks and charm with a healthy dose of good luck, a man who knows he has these and weilds them effectively. Is this a fair characterization, or is there something missing in this writer's guideline?
Thanks in advance for the consideration of this.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Jim! I would say that's a good start as to characterizing Paul. It's also going to really depend what stage of his career you're concentrating on in your story. In general, to me he's always been quite a politician, even during the Beatle years (he would always have a softer follow-up to John's statements in many interviews, for example). He IS a businessman, though, when it comes down to it--how else would he have become Britain's richest musician if not for buying up publishing rights to various songs, etc.?

I do think you've got it right on that he's blessed with charm and good fortune and knows how to use 'em...especially when it comes to setting sky-high concert ticket prices that he knows people will pay if they *really* want to see him bad enough (like I did!)

Let me know if you need anymore help...it's no trouble at all...

------------------
Old Aug 25, 2002, 05:54 AM   #38
JDanRyan
Wild Honey Pie

Hi Jim! I would say that's a good start as to characterizing Paul. It's also going to really depend what stage of his career you're concentrating on in your story. In general, to me he's always been quite a politician, even during the Beatle years (he would always have a softer follow-up to John's statements in many interviews, for example). He IS a businessman, though, when it comes down to it--how else would he have become Britain's richest musician if not for buying up publishing rights to various songs, etc.?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Tina. That helps in letting me know that I'm going in the right direction.

I do think you've got it right on that he's blessed with charm and good fortune and knows how to use 'em...especially when it comes to setting sky-high concert ticket prices that he knows people will pay if they *really* want to see him bad enough (like I did!)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, too true, too true. That's also an interesting observation, which may get turned into a plot point. More than this, I cannot say now...

Let me know if you need anymore help...it's no trouble at all...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. If I have specifics, I'll hook up with you on that.

------------------
Old Aug 25, 2002, 01:31 PM   #39
MonaMe577
Bulldog

Susan--

I posted a little more under my original story heading, the thread called, "Last Rewrite, I promise!" Would you mind taking a look at that and letting me know what you think? I'd really apprecaite the input. Thanks!

--Lisa

------------------

Old Aug 25, 2002, 03:11 PM   #40
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

MonaMe577,

Did you get my e-mail I sent you? I sent it yesterday.
-Kristi

------------------

Kristi's Writing Desk