BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Old Oct 04, 2002, 06:29 PM   #61
karma70
Fool On The Hill

Default Re: The Beatles and \"Slash\"

LOVE Slash!! I've been writing it since I was 14!! My first was Ringo/John. It was stupid, and I admit I'm sick, but it was pretty PG-13ish. They just kiss, not like total graphic sex or anything (I got the idea after watching "Help" of all things, heh).

Anyway, it seems to me that the Beatles are beyond human, they're so big and fans are so rabid, the imagination just flows you know.

Oh and sorry, but Harry Potter slash ROCKS!! The HP crew is usually put at an older age level, most are 18 yr old Harry/Draco or whatever. Cool.

p.s. I admit there are some sick ones out there, but who cares. Nobody forces anyone to read them anyway.
karma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2002, 08:18 PM   #62
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4

karma-

Didn't you have anything better to do when you were 14? What's the point of writing something so gross and unbelievable?

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine.

~All You Need Is Love~

*Need Beatles Art? E-mail Me!*
lennon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2002, 10:11 PM   #63
angelgodiva
Bulldog

I've seen HELP! dozens of times, but I can't remember anything being in it that made me think that John and Ringo might want to kiss.
As I said before, I have no use for Beatles slash. I think it's libelous. I would not write anything that put obviously straight men into gay situations. If I want to write a story with homosexual situations, I will either invent fictional characters or use guys who are known to actually be gay.

------------------
Paul is still alive.
angelgodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2002, 03:37 AM   #64
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

I'm not even going to comment other than to say that maybe kids today (geez, I sound OLD) know more than I did at 14...I was hardly aware of what HETEROSEXUAL sex was when I was that age, forget HOMOSEXUAL...

And for the record, not ALL Harry Potter slash (Jeez, the mere IDEA of that is disgusting!) is with the characters "older." I even saw one page...well, let's just say that in the REAL world teachers have been lynched for less! I won't talk about it, but let's just say that I hope that when J.K. Rowling finds out about this twisted perversion using her characters, she sues the pants off the perpetrators!

I'm just sitting here shaking my head that there are so many extremely young people wasting their time and talent writing and reading this stuff!

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. October 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain

[This Message Has Been Edited By HMVNipper On October 06, 2002 04:40 AM]
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2002, 05:06 PM   #65
lennon4
Paperback Writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By HMVNipper:
I'm just sitting here shaking my head that there are so many extremely young people wasting their time and talent writing and reading this stuff!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't add anything more to that (although I will, if pressed to do so).

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

Old Oct 06, 2002, 08:43 PM   #66
bitagirl
Bulldog

Maybe...I'm the minority here
But it personally doesn't bother me...if anythign else...I give it a good laugh
You can't control what people write, so i just leave it alone.
Not saying I like it, not saying I don't...I just don't know what I could do about it...so I let it be

------------------
"Madness is the first sign of dandruff!"-JL
bitagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2002, 04:58 AM   #67
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I'm with Angel, Lennon4 and Susan on this one.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

With a love like that, you know you should be glad, yeah, yeah, yeah!
-- Beatles, 1963

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2002, 09:54 AM   #68
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to ImaginePeace78 Send a message via Yahoo to ImaginePeace78

I'm with the four of youse guys in this one! (Beatlebangs, lennon4, Angel and Susan). Harry Pottor Slash...oh...my...God, what's next!! That's terrible and disgusting!
-Kristi

------------------
"In the best of times, our days are numbered anyway. And so it would be a crime against nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that we would put off doing those things for which we were intended for in the first place, the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to hit a ball and to bounce a baby." --Alistair Cooke

Kristi's Writing Desk
ImaginePeace78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2002, 07:32 PM   #69
lennon4
Paperback Writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:
I think J. K. Rowling has good grounds for instituting a lawsuit.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously, can she sue? What would get in her way of doing it? If there's nothing blocking her, then why hasn't she?

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

Old Oct 08, 2002, 07:41 PM   #70
angelgodiva
Bulldog

Well, maybe she doesn't KNOW about it yet. It's not like this--er--STUFF is widely advertised.

------------------
Paul is still alive.
angelgodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2002, 08:01 PM   #71
lennon4
Paperback Writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By angelgodiva:
Well, maybe she doesn't KNOW about it yet. It's not like this--er--STUFF is widely advertised.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd think that someone would've gotten to her about it by now. Anyone know her e-mail address (lol)? We all can send her a great big Beatlelinks information awareness card.

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

Old Oct 08, 2002, 11:16 PM   #72
beatlebangs1964

I think J. K. Rowling has good grounds for instituting a lawsuit.

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

-- Beatles, 1963

BB1964
Old Oct 09, 2002, 02:00 AM   #73
beatlebangs1964

Yeah, but do you have her e-mail address?

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

-- Beatles, 1963

BB1964
Old Oct 09, 2002, 03:35 AM   #74
HMVNipper
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By lennon4:
Seriously, can she sue? What would get in her way of doing it? If there's nothing blocking her, then why hasn't she?

-lennon4

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of COURSE she can -- see, here's a great example of how fanfic about fictional characters that belong to someone else can get you in trouble. Rowling and her publisher, Scholastic, own Harry, Ron, Hermoine, Draco, etc. You write any fanfic about them, you're technically violating copyright.

I seem to remember reading that she does indeed know about fanfic people who use her characters, but is loath to crack down on them because she was a fan once herself. Her publisher, however, is not happy about that. I do believe, though, that SLASH about her characters, which is not only a copyright violation, but liable to make people believe she APPROVES of it if she does nothing, is another story...and it is quite possible that they either do not know that it actually exists or aren't looking that hard for that kind of thing.

Frankly, if I were her or her publisher, I'd be coming down on the slash writers pretty damn quick -- but I also don't want to be the "informant," because it might make people take a closer look at ALL fanfic...even stuff like RS publishes...as much as I disapprove of Harry Potter slash, or Beatleslash, I won't turn in the people who write/publish it...

It is definitely a quandary, because as much as I don't like slash, I also don't believe in censorship -- at least in the case of Beatleslash, I might not like it, but I won't actively STOP anyone from writing/publishing it. But as I said, using Rowling's COPYRIGHTED CHARACTERS in those situations is something else again...

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. October 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
Old Oct 09, 2002, 04:15 AM   #75
JDanRyan
Wild Honey Pie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By lennon4:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In answer to your questions, in order:

1) Yes, she can. As all the characters are covered by copyright (and quite possibly are also trademarks, which make them even more valuable), she has every right to go after whoever uses her stuff without her permission. And in this case, I doubt there's anyone not already fated for a trip Azkaban who believes that she'd say yes to HP slash.

2) Nothing, really. As most of the fans posting this stuff live in Berne Copyright Convention-signatory members, and are therefore subject to enforcement, there's nothing that can save these folks. (And if the judgements being heard this week in Los Angeles against KaZaA rule that US copyright law can apply to a company that has no real presence in the US and makes it stick, her hand would be even stronger.)

3) The main reason is one of discovery; she (or more precisely her agents in interest, like Scholastic and AOL-Time Warner) has to find the stuff before they can unleash it. Of course, they could be doing what both Viacom and Fox did a little while ago in protecting their respective STAR TREK and BUFFY properties, which is collect a large list and then go en masse against all of them at once. The reason for doing this is to demonstrate their force of presence and to scare everyone through their sheer size.

In short, not only can she, she and her partners are probably getting together to go after them as we speak. Properties this big usually don't let the sucker fish stay on them that long. If you really like this stuff, catch it while you can, because it's going to be vaporware sooner rather than later.

------------------
"Democracies die behind closed doors" - Judge Damon J. Keith

"Like Kurasawa I make mad films
Okay I don't make films
but if I did they'd have a Samurai"
-Barenaked Ladies
JDanRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2002, 09:07 PM   #76
bitagirl
Bulldog

I think she knows if not directly, than someone in her circle has to know..

Anyway, my opinion is live and let live
If it makes people feel better about writing/reading slash...then go right ahead.

Yes, I know its real people...but you can't change peoples though patterns no matter how screwy you think they are.

If they feel better, then let them be

------------------
"Madness is the first sign of dandruff!"-JL
bitagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2002, 11:58 PM   #77
lennon4
Paperback Writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By JDanRyan:
If you really like this stuff, catch it while you can, because it's going to be vaporware sooner rather than later.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Believe me, I don't even read this stuff, much less like it. Well, I hope she at least knows about it...it'd be horrible to find out about something like that once it's WAY out of proportion.

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

Old Oct 09, 2002, 11:59 PM   #78
lennon4
Paperback Writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:
Yeah, but do you have her e-mail address?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll trade you for John Lennon's.

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

Old Oct 10, 2002, 03:47 AM   #79
HMVNipper
Sun King

I agree, bitagirl, about the "live and let live" thing...I know I can't stop anyone from publishing slash or reading it or whatever. I wouldn't even try. That does NOT mean I have to like it, though.

Rooftop Sessions has a guideline regarding slash and other homosexual fic -- it's okay as long as it adheres to all the other guidelines regarding the coherence and graphic nature of the story. But I've yet to receive any submissions of that type at all, and I HIGHLY doubt I'd publish one because it'd be awfully hard to convince me that any story of that nature would be worth my time, let alone the time of my readers. The slash I HAVE seen is all the kind I heartily dislike -- stupid, angst-ridden, self-important and poorly written, and that kind of stuff is unacceptable for RS even if it's NOT slash!

As for the Harry Potter slash, I DO hope Rowling sues...I mean, anyone who has a site called the "Severus Snape Fuh-Q-Fest" is an extremely disturbed individual, IMO. Makes my skin crawl.

------------------

Old Oct 10, 2002, 03:55 AM   #80
beatlebangs1964

Amen to what Susan said.

Although I don't like slash at all and feel uncomfortable with seeing real people who are straight being portrayed as gay or having other contrasts to their real cores, I certainly won't even try to stop anyone from reading, writing or enjoying it. Just because it isn't my cuppa tea doesn't mean that others won't enjoy it.

Earlier I was curious about Beatle slash because I had not come across it before. I read some of the slasher/stalker stories and in fairness, now that I know about it, I really don't like slash stories and I especially dislike Beatle slash stories.

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

-- Beatles, 1963

BB1964