BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:36 AM   #1
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Default Review - 'A Date With a Beatle' is a great little tale of a fan's dream to meet one

Review: 'A Date With a Beatle' is a great little tale of a fan's dream to meet one

http://www.examiner.com/x-2082-Beatl...am-to-meet-one

One of our favorite Beatle-related movies is "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," the charming tale of a group of Beatle fans who won't let anything stop them in their quest to see the Fabs on "The Ed Sullivan Show." Well, if you liked the bubbly good fun of that film, you'll like Judith Kristen's book "A Date With a Beatle."

The plot centers around a group of female Beatle fans in 1964, one of them named Judy, who plot how to skip school to see the Beatles land at Kennedy Airport without their parents finding out. They later decide to sneak into their hotel to try and see them in person. But Judy has an even bigger idea: She wants to meet George Harrison.

The narrative of the short 171-page book plays like a "chick flick", though guys will find it amusing, too. The descriptive text brings you back to the height of Beatlemania in 1964 and makes the book seem very much like a movie. It's a lot of fun to read.

All that's missing are the screams of the fans in the theater every time a Beatle appears on the screen.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:41 PM   #2
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

I definitely need to read this. I LOVE the movie "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" for those very reasons! It feels like you're one of the group going on the adventure! :D
BeatleNut9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2010, 11:41 PM   #3
MeanMsHorseySauce
Fool On The Hill

Aw, that sounds cute! I just may have to read this book.
Old Apr 07, 2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Terri287
Little Child

I read this little treasure, (and got to meet the author at BeatleFest!), and highly recommend it! Without spoiling the read for anyone who hasn't, what makes it all the more pleasurable is that it all actually did happen! This isn't fiction! God, those were wild days, huh?

"Is there anybody going to listen to my story...?"
www.dasliebchenkind.com
Original Beatles Fan Fiction
Terri287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2010, 02:26 PM   #5
Rebecca Ramon
Fool On The Hill

Oh yeah, I saw this book floating around at the BeatleFest in NY! It sounds cute, I will probably give it a read :)
Rebecca Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 04:13 AM   #6
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

Default A Date with a Beatle ...

Truthfully, this book, "A Date with a Beatle" was almost NOT written.
I am an educator who also has written over a dozen books - (generally young adult books and humane education books)!!!

AND... as a child of the 60s, I was also a HUGE Beatles fan!
When I was 15 and 16, no stone was left unturned in order to make my dream come true - the dream to meet George Harrison!

I had told these true stories for decades, you know, right after they happened... and they were in demand for 46 years! Last year a friend nudged me into putting them into print because there are now more 2nd and 3rd generation Beatles fans than 1st generation!

So... it was time.

I never had more fun writing anything in all of my 62 years on this planet.
To see it all in print was to bring it all back in living color! ... cutting school to see them land at Kennedy, getting into The Plaza Hotel... the crazy night at their first-ever American concert in Washington, D.C... The Delmonico Hotel incident... and eventually, although NOT even CLOSE to what I had planned... the night I actually met George Harrison, face to face, in Atlantic City, New Jersey!
My God... what a beautiful man he was! I mean that with all of my heart. He was just so kind and compassionate to me, and I, (without ruining the story) was in a pretty ugly situation at the time.

If you enjoy reading it even HALF as much as I did living it and writing it.... then you are in for a very, very good ride right back to 1964! :)

Beatles 4 Ever.

~Judith Kristen
JudithKristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Terri287
Little Child

Hey Jude! (Sorry, I couldn't resist! )

I'm glad your friend did talk you into putting your story into writing to share! What a fantastic experience! I greatly admire your tenacity, especially at so tender an age. I enjoyed meeting you at the Beatles Fest , (I'll never get used to calling it by that other name!), and hearing you talk about the genesis of your book. One of these days I'd love to hear about the bits you "left out"! Best of luck in Chicago this summer!

"Is there anybody going to listen to my story...?"
www.dasliebchenkind.com
Original Beatles Fan Fiction
Terri287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 01:12 PM   #8
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

Default What I left out....

Hi!!!

I am so happy I got to meet YOU at The Fest... along with so many other genuinely lovely Beatles people!

We're really looking forward to Chicago!!!

When I see you in New York next year... I'll fill you in on some of the stuff I left out. :)

NOTHING as juicy as meeting George... but fun stuff just the same!

Peace and Love and Beatles....

:)

~Judy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudithKristen View Post
Truthfully, this book, "A Date with a Beatle" was almost NOT written.
I am an educator who also has written over a dozen books - (generally young adult books and humane education books)!!!

AND... as a child of the 60s, I was also a HUGE Beatles fan!
When I was 15 and 16, no stone was left unturned in order to make my dream come true - the dream to meet George Harrison!

I had told these true stories for decades, you know, right after they happened... and they were in demand for 46 years! Last year a friend nudged me into putting them into print because there are now more 2nd and 3rd generation Beatles fans than 1st generation!

So... it was time.

I never had more fun writing anything in all of my 62 years on this planet.
To see it all in print was to bring it all back in living color! ... cutting school to see them land at Kennedy, getting into The Plaza Hotel... the crazy night at their first-ever American concert in Washington, D.C... The Delmonico Hotel incident... and eventually, although NOT even CLOSE to what I had planned... the night I actually met George Harrison, face to face, in Atlantic City, New Jersey!
My God... what a beautiful man he was! I mean that with all of my heart. He was just so kind and compassionate to me, and I, (without ruining the story) was in a pretty ugly situation at the time.

If you enjoy reading it even HALF as much as I did living it and writing it.... then you are in for a very, very good ride right back to 1964! :)

Beatles 4 Ever.

~Judith Kristen
Old Apr 17, 2010, 08:31 PM   #9
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Sounds like a book after my own heart!

I have the early 1978 movie "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and just love it.

Judy, I'm getting that book and I will give it a good review!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Apr 17, 2010 at 08:32 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:26 AM   #10
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

Default A Date with a Beatle...

I am thrilled and honored (and pleased as punch :) to hear all the nice things about "A Date with a Beatle"
I recalled those days with much love and fun as I put it all down on paper.

It was a joy to write and a joy to live through it... and I will forever see those beautiful chocolate-brown eyes of George Harrison's looking at me ... with that crooked smile on his face!

This book was written with the teenage heart that still beats within me - all thanks to those lovely lads from Liverpool. :)
Old Apr 18, 2010, 07:53 AM   #11
valerieinthegallery
Rocky Raccoon

Oh, that crooked smile...
valerieinthegallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:40 PM   #12
Kait_Sing
Fool On The Hill

George is by far my most favorite of the Beatles. I had the biggest crush on him when I was 12

I would have loved to go to the New York fest, but I was not able to.

Fest 2011--I plan to be there ! :)
Kait_Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 04:20 PM   #13
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

I'll be looking forward to seeing you at the 2011 Fest!!!!

We George Harrison fans gotta stick together! :)
Old Apr 19, 2010, 03:12 PM   #14
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

George Harrison was a sexpot - that beautiful, slender ectomorphic body build he had; that thick wavy hair; those deep set Harrison eyes; that thick wavy hair; that trademark Franco-Harrison smile; that beautiful wavy hair; the master of deadpan; that lush wavy hair; that deep, sexy voice that the Queen would not place high on the social scale; that luxuriant wavy hair; that nonpareil guitar playing; that bountiful wavy hair; that gift for natural expression and nonpareil lyrics; that beautiful, rich wavy hair and how his music helped people discover their own spirituality.

No wonder people love George!

Judy, I would love to meet you.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 02:20 AM   #15
valerieinthegallery
Rocky Raccoon

Judith, as you may have noticed BB is a BIG fan of wavy hair - especially when it's attached to Mr Harrison...
valerieinthegallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 03:27 AM   #16
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

It really makes me smile when I meet people who have that same sense about George that I saw and felt waaaaaaay back when.

I will tell you, in person, even that brief time we had together, I stared at him (when he wasn't looking) trying to take as much as I could in... yes... I LOVED the hair too...and it was as shiny as a Pantene commercial... and he smelled GREAT. I wanted to ask him what he was wearing, but... well, under the circumstances, it just didn't seem right somehow.

His hands were beautiful, those long, artistic fingers ... and when he handed me that coca-cola bottle and my hands touched his... I remember how warm they were.

Be still my foolish heart!!!!!!!! :)

And that accent?

No one in this lifetime or any other, will EVER have a perfect Liverpudlian accent like George did. ... or that crooked smile... or those beautiful, seductive eyes... or....

:::sigh:::

I'd better stop now.

:)
Old Apr 20, 2010, 03:59 AM   #17
FPSHOT
Sun King

You stared at him and did not know what he was wearing?

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 05:50 AM   #18
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

:) When I said, "I wanted to ask him what he was wearing" .... I meant the cologne. :)

Physically he was wearing a grey chesterfield jacket, white shirt (sorta wrinkled except for the collar which looked like it had LOTSA starch... his matching pants were a bit wrinkled ... and his black boots had heels that looked about 2" high were very highly polished... no rings, no watch... no necklace...

And he smelled like a cross between cigarettes and wonderful cologne. :)

He looked like he napped in a chair in those clothes.... but he was just beautiful... I mean it, THIS was a very, very handsome man!

::::Sigh::::

Last edited by JudithKristen : Apr 20, 2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:00 AM   #19
Georgie Girl
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudithKristen View Post
I am thrilled and honored (and pleased as punch :) to hear all the nice things about "A Date with a Beatle"
I recalled those days with much love and fun as I put it all down on paper.

It was a joy to write and a joy to live through it... and I will forever see those beautiful chocolate-brown eyes of George Harrison's looking at me ... with that crooked smile on his face!

This book was written with the teenage heart that still beats within me - all thanks to those lovely lads from Liverpool. :)
OMG, Judith, you're killing me and Valerie, lol! I have GOT to read this!
I may be going to Chicago fest, maybe I'll get one then!

Yes, I still sometimes look at George with bobby-sockser eyes, too, he was so cute.

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:06 AM   #20
FPSHOT
Sun King

Why do women always relate to chocolate?

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote