BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:23 PM   #21
digdad
Sun King

I just picked up two new CDs today.
Sheryl Crow - Detours
Vampire Weekend - self-titled album

digdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 09:16 PM   #22
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Latest pick-ups:

*Billy Corgan - TheFutureEmbrace. His only solo album, and it's definitely different from Pumpkins or Zwan. Not crazy about it overall but my favorite song on here is excellent, and since I got it used, definitely worth the price tag.

*Smashing Pumpkins - Machina/The Machines of God. Heard it before and wasn't crazy about it but I finally picked up a copy and it's not as bad as I remember. Not nearly as strong as their previous work, but it's pretty nice.

*Smashing Pumpkins - Adore. The follow-up to MCIS. It's nothing like that double album but it's still phenomenal. Much artier than most albums I listen to but I love it. Fantastic opener too.

*Smashing Pumpkins - American Gothic. Their new acoustic EP. Much better than the reunion album; they should consider making their next album fully acoustic because this really works.

*Counting Crows - Films About Ghosts: The Best Of.... I don't really know why I got this other than that it was on sale. The only songs of theirs I really knew were "Mr. Jones" and "Big Yellow Taxi," and while I really like the latter, I think the former is overrated. I guess it was a worthwhile purchase since I discovered a few good songs that I'd never heard before but it doesn't really make me want to delve into their regular albums either.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 09:26 PM   #23
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Since the last update...

*Smashing Pumpkins - "Stand Inside Your Love" single. For the excellent B-side "Speed Kills." The A-side is one of my favorite SP songs too and one of the few love songs that has a genuine, blissful feeling without being too schmaltzy.

*Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger. Everyone says this is on par with Superunknown, but while I immediately loved that record, this one is probably going to have to take some time to grow on me, although I liked a few songs from the start (notably "Jesus Christ Pose").

*Jason Mraz - Live & Acoustic 2001. Before his major label debut, and this is probably my favorite album of his. Not too glossy or desperate to impress; it's a simple recording but it works well.

*Gin Blossoms - "As Long as it Matters" single. Woohoo for B-sides, although none of these are actually new songs to me; they're either live versions or remixes. But I'm a completist so that's not a problem. And since one of the live songs is "Allison Road," I had to get this one.

*Smashing Pumpkins - Still Becoming Apart. I didn't get into the Pumpkins until late last year (as you can see in this thread, I picked up most of their output in recent months), so I had to go to eBay to get this 5-track promo disc that was bundled with Machina when it first came out at Best Buy. I had two of the recordings already, and one of the other three was an acoustic version of a song I had and one of the others an instrumental. But like I said, I'm a completist.

*Various Artists - Saturday Night Live: The Musical Performances, Vol. 2. Really inconsistent but it was less than six bucks so it was worth it for the Beck and Nirvana songs.

*Filter - Title of Record. I found a sealed copy for less than four dollars so I had to get it even though the only song on it that I knew was "Take a Picture." But I love that song and the only other song of theirs I was familiar with (from another album) so I took the gamble. Well worth it--some of the tracks definitely mesh together but TAP and the nearly eight-minute "Welcome to the Fold" were worth the price of admission.

*Alice in Chains - Dirt. I've had their best-of for a while and kept debating whether or not I should delve into their back catalog. After hearing this, I'm friggin' pissed off at myself for not getting into it sooner. "Dam That River" immediately became my favorite AiC song.

Yay!!!!!!
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:57 PM   #24
BeatleChick
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdad View Post
I just picked up two new CDs today.
Sheryl Crow - Detours
Vampire Weekend - self-titled album
What do you think of Vampire Weekend? I think they're amazing. Great album, that.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:59 PM   #25
BeatleChick
Sgt. Pepper

Last ones I got (which was just the other day) were:

The Hives--Veni Vidi Vicious

Nick Drake--Made to Love Magic

Madeleine Peyroux--Half the Perfect World
Old Mar 22, 2008, 07:26 AM   #26
jtal909
Sun King

Shelby Lynne new one w/dusty springfield songs
Old Mar 22, 2008, 04:32 PM   #27
Ivan P
Nowhere Man

Wings - Venus and Mars
Old Mar 22, 2008, 09:13 PM   #28
instant karla
Sgt. Pepper

kings of leon - youth and young manhood
instant karla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:48 PM   #29
digdad
Sun King

My copy of Pizzicato Five - Playboy & Playgirl just arrived in the mail.
I've got another ebay buy on the way, Shiina Ringo - Tsumi to Batsu (three-song single), but that one is coming from Japan--it might be a while.

Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:52 PM   #30
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
I've got another ebay buy on the way, Shiina Ringo - Tsumi to Batsu (three-song single), but that one is coming from Japan--it might be a while.
Which Japanese site do you order from, and how is the service?

The last albums I bought were three early Genesis albums. "Foxtrot" "Trepass" and "Nursery Crimes".
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 01:10 PM   #31
Georgie Girl
Sun King

This is the last one I bought:

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 01:47 PM   #32
digdad
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
Which Japanese site do you order from, and how is the service?
This one is a used CD from ebay. There are a handful of reputable sellers there in Japan, and there's also a good one I've dealt with in Hong Kong. I usually order new CDs from YesAsia, but I know others who prefer CD Japan. YesAsia is slightly more expensive per disc, but if you go over $25.00 (which isn't difficult) shipping is free. CD Japan is the better deal if you are buying many at a time, which I never do. Both are very reliable and have fairly quick service. I've also heard that HMV Japan is good, and they carry vinyl and will ship it internationally, but I haven't tried that yet.

Old Mar 31, 2008, 02:08 PM   #33
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

The last Vinyl album was Van Halen's 5150 when it was released. From that point forward I have only purchased CD's.

My last CDs were bought together a couple of weeks ago, Amy Winehouse - Back to Black with BB King's - Live at the Regal.
Old Apr 06, 2008, 12:55 PM   #34
digdad
Sun King

I just bought a bunch of albums, EPs, and singles on Ebay today (or as they prefer to say, "won").

Brilliant Green - Stand By Me (CD single)
Every Little Thing - 3 different CD EPs (a 3-song, a 4-song, and a 6-song EP)
Chara - Sweet (album)
Pizzicato Five - Happy End of You (2LP vinyl)
Puffy - AmiYumi (album)
Puffy - Solosolo (album) [edit: This is my absolute favorite Puffy album, and the pride of this bunch. It is thick with Beatles influence. )
Puffy - 4 different CD singles

Not a bad haul for the price of 2 CDs at a record store (and that's including the shipping costs).

Last edited by digdad : Apr 06, 2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2008, 01:15 PM   #35
SandySunshine
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie Girl View Post
This is the last one I bought:

Ooh!!! I've got that one too!!! It was the picture on the cover that first drew me towards it.....

Last CD I bought was The Very Best of Adam and the Ants!!!

I do believe the Captain's trodden on my parrot!!!!!
SandySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2008, 01:23 PM   #36
Legs
Sun King

Sorry I forgot which thread I posted this question in.
Thanks for the reply, will try one or both when I am in need of something rare or Japanese.

Last albums I bought where a couple of Beatle vinyls.
"With The Beatles" dutch stereo
A mexican mono version of "Sgt. Pepper's."
Germand "Please Please Me" and "Help!"
and a couple of bootlegs.

Quote:
This one is a used CD from ebay. There are a handful of reputable sellers there in Japan, and there's also a good one I've dealt with in Hong Kong. I usually order new CDs from YesAsia, but I know others who prefer CD Japan. YesAsia is slightly more expensive per disc, but if you go over $25.00 (which isn't difficult) shipping is free. CD Japan is the better deal if you are buying many at a time, which I never do. Both are very reliable and have fairly quick service. I've also heard that HMV Japan is good, and they carry vinyl and will ship it internationally, but I haven't tried that yet.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:45 AM   #37
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I think this is everything since the last update...

*She & Him - Volume One. If you saw Elf, you know that Zooey Deschanel has a beautiful voice. So I'd been waiting for her to do an album for a while now. Well, I think it's safe to say I won't be picking up Volume Two. I don't mind the old-timey style; it suits her voice well and it's a nice throwback, but while most of the songs are individually nice, the album as a whole just doesn't go anywhere. It's just the same thing track after track. It does include covers of "I Should Have Known Better" and "You Really Got a Hold on Me" which are nothing special but decent.

*Ace of Base - The Sign. I really only wanted the title track but when I found a used copy of the full album for $5 I figured what the heck. I'm glad I got it, because there were some other songs on here that I knew and liked but had forgotten. Again, I'm definitely not interested in getting any other AoB releases, but it's good to have.

*Stone Temple Pilots - "Interstate Love Song" single. The packaging on this is awesome, it folds out and shows a bunch of their past releases. I got it for some live versions of "Vasoline" and ILS, two of my favorite STP hits. They don't really offer much variety from the album versions but it was only $3 and I'm a completist anyway.

*Nirvana - Incesticide. I'd heard pretty much everything off of it years ago but I'd just never gotten around to picking it up. I was surprised at how good it is considering it's just a B-sides album. It's way better than the Smashing Pumpkins' two B-sides albums although obviously it's weaker than their three main albums.

*Beck - Stereopathetic Soulmanure. If this weren't $8 and I wasn't a Beck completist, I would absolutely be selling this piece of crap. Seriously, I have no idea how this was ever approved for release. There are some nice little ditties, but at least 2/3 of this is pure noise for the sake of noise. It sounds like a third-generation cassette tape too.

*Blind Melon - Blind Melon. Saw it on Amazon for really cheap and I'd always loved "No Rain," so I figured I might as well. "No Rain" is probably the best song but I was pretty surprised to find that the overall record is pretty good. Not earth-shattering but it has its share of cool tunes.

*Blind Melon - Soup. Less than a week after I got the above, I went to a used book store and they had a copy of this for $6 so I decided to get it. Wow, this is way better than the debut album. It's got a ton of different styles and just works better as an album. I saw it on a Worst Albums Ever list but I don't really understand why; maybe people were expecting more of the same and were just disappointed that the band branched into a totally different direction. But it's really good.

Yay!!!!!!
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:55 PM   #38
jtal909
Sun King

Dusty In Memphis
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:30 AM   #39
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

I bought Laura Pausini's best of.