BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old May 01, 2006, 06:33 PM   #1
62hofner

Question "Butcher cover" owners... sound off!

I, myself, do not own The Butcher cover in either of the three "states". However, I am seriously considering getting a hold of a "2nd state" cover in the near future and peeling it (having it peeled) professionally.

I was at a New Jersey Beatlefest, with a buddy of mine, one year back in the 80's. We popped in on the auction that was going on that day, and at one point they had a non-peeled Butcher cover. The auction started at some insanely low price - but no one bid on it! My friend and I were climbing the walls! Had we only brought some extra $$$ with us, we would have bid jointly on it and we'd own it today.

So, who's got one... and in what "state"? I'm curious.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Cream Tangerine
Dr. Robert

I have one... My dad bought it when it came out and he had no idea how much it would be worth in the future, and he gave it to me as a 21st birthday prezzie. It's almost in mint condition (I say almost because of course my dad played it a few times back in the day, but it has no scratches, I'd say 2nd state). Last time I saw one for sale was at the Beatle Shop in London on Baker Street. It looked rather used like mine and even then it was costing 4,000 pounds.
I keep mine wrapped in bubble wrap and a plastic bag and very much put away with a few moth balls. I have no clue how much my copy is worth, but I'm quite sure it's a bit. Would I sell it? Only if it was to cover hospital bills that I could not afford in the event of someone dear to me being near death, otherwise, NO WAY. The more time passes, the more dough that baby is worth, and I do plan to have it valued and insured... as soon as I can afford to. In the meantime, it's safely put away.
Old May 01, 2006, 08:01 PM   #3
bearkat77
Administrator

I wish I had one. The master of "Butcher covers" here is Harb. I keep trying to get him to send me just one.
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2006, 08:59 PM   #4
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream Tangerine
I have one... My dad bought it when it came out and he had no idea how much it would be worth in the future, and he gave it to me as a 21st birthday prezzie. It's almost in mint condition (I say almost because of course my dad played it a few times back in the day, but it has no scratches, I'd say 2nd state). Last time I saw one for sale was at the Beatle Shop in London on Baker Street. It looked rather used like mine and even then it was costing 4,000 pounds.
I keep mine wrapped in bubble wrap and a plastic bag and very much put away with a few moth balls. I have no clue how much my copy is worth, but I'm quite sure it's a bit. Would I sell it? Only if it was to cover hospital bills that I could not afford in the event of someone dear to me being near death, otherwise, NO WAY. The more time passes, the more dough that baby is worth, and I do plan to have it valued and insured... as soon as I can afford to. In the meantime, it's safely put away.
If your dad bought it when it first came out, then you've got a "1st state" cover, and it IS worth a small fortune! Keep that thing safe (sounds like you are)!

The condition of record inside is of no consequence. The sleeve is where it's at. FYI... "1st state" means it was never pasted-over with the "trunk" cover slick.... "2nd state" means the original cover still has the "trunk" slick pasted over it... "3rd state" means it once had the "trunk" cover pasted over it, but it was peeled to reveal the original cover..... just in case you neded that cleared up.
Old May 02, 2006, 03:03 AM   #5
Beatleboy
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via AIM to Beatleboy Send a message via MSN to Beatleboy

I'm the proud owner of four Butchers, myself. Three of them are third-state (or peeled) mono covers, plus a third state stereo cover that I picked up a couple of years ago. The three mono covers vary from vg+ to fair (or beat up) condition. My stereo is in the vg- to g+ range. It's taken me some twenty years to get the four butchers I have now, but the thrill of the chase is always alot of fun. I've been looking to get a pasteover for quite sometime, but haven't been able to get around to it for whatever reason. Perhaps I'll put that on the frontburner, soon.

Yeah, I can play the guitar. I know all about virtuosos, and trembalos, and arpeggios. I can do it all! -Strong Bad

Beatleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2006, 05:36 AM   #6
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

*sigh* i looked at my mom's album just to make sure but she doesnt have a 2nd state one...not that i'd sell it if she did

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2006, 06:19 AM   #7
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner
I, myself, do not own The Butcher cover in either of the three "states". However, I am seriously considering getting a hold of a "2nd state" cover in the near future and peeling it (having it peeled) professionally.
Just to make sure, but a 2nd state is worth much more than a 3rd state. As more of them get peeled, the number of 2nd state butchers out there is naturally decreasing all the time, so their value is only going higher. If I were you, I would NEVER buy a 2nd state and then peel it. If you really want to see the butcher cover, then just buy a 3rd state, it's cheaper.

I have a 2nd state and 3rd state butcher cover, both in stereo. I also found a cheap copy of the recall letter, and framed them all on the wall...

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2006, 06:23 AM   #8
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

I personally own 6 Butcher covers. I have...

Poorly peeled mono 3rd state
Okay peeled mono 3rd state
Brilliantly peeled 3rd state
Really nice mono 2nd state
Okay peeled Stereo 3rd state
Awesome Japanese repro. I like to hang that one on the wall.
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2006, 06:32 AM   #9
twovirgins
Sun King

dont peel it PLEASE DON'T!! trust me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by twovirgins : May 02, 2006 at 06:32 AM.
twovirgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2006, 08:09 AM   #10
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by twovirgins
dont peel it PLEASE DON'T!! trust me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did you peel one Erik?
Old May 02, 2006, 08:35 AM   #11
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

hey! welcome back zim!
Old May 02, 2006, 08:36 AM   #12
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

jerry, what's the going price for a butcher cover?

I believe I saw one several years ago at a vintage record store for about 500$
Old May 02, 2006, 08:36 AM   #13
BeatlesFan4life
Dr. Robert

What is a butcher cover. Sorry If I am asking. I might want to get the butcher cover to yesterday and today. Do some stores have it in southern california. Thanks
BeatlesFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2006, 08:40 AM   #14
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatlesFan4life
What is a butcher cover. Sorry If I am asking. I might want to get the butcher cover to yesterday and today. Do some stores have it in southern california. Thanks
Call up The Record Baron in Anaheim, southern california, I saw a butcher cover there a few years ago, they might have one but like I said I think the guy wanted five hundred.

Jerry can probably answer your question as to what a butcher cover is.
Old May 02, 2006, 08:45 AM   #15
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
Just to make sure, but a 2nd state is worth much more than a 3rd state. As more of them get peeled, the number of 2nd state butchers out there is naturally decreasing all the time, so their value is only going higher. If I were you, I would NEVER buy a 2nd state and then peel it. If you really want to see the butcher cover, then just buy a 3rd state, it's cheaper.

I have a 2nd state and 3rd state butcher cover, both in stereo. I also found a cheap copy of the recall letter, and framed them all on the wall...

Thanks for the advice! So, no peeling of a 2nd state, huh?
Old May 02, 2006, 08:56 AM   #16
Cream Tangerine
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner
If your dad bought it when it first came out, then you've got a "1st state" cover, and it IS worth a small fortune! Keep that thing safe (sounds like you are)!

The condition of record inside is of no consequence. The sleeve is where it's at. FYI... "1st state" means it was never pasted-over with the "trunk" cover slick.... "2nd state" means the original cover still has the "trunk" slick pasted over it... "3rd state" means it once had the "trunk" cover pasted over it, but it was peeled to reveal the original cover..... just in case you neded that cleared up.
First of all... ZIMMERMAN! Welcome back!

Just goes to show how ignorant I really I am, hee hee. I always knew it was worth a pretty penny but had no clue what a 1st or 2nd state meant, I thought it meant in which condition of use it was. Nope, it doesn't have the trunk cover on it, it has all four fabs covered in red meat and severed doll's heads. And there's no indication of having ever had another cover pasted on it. Now you mention it's worth a small fortune. I already knew it would be worth quite a bit, but... just how "small" a fortune do you reckon it might be?

Last edited by Cream Tangerine : May 02, 2006 at 08:58 AM.
Cream Tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2006, 09:11 AM   #17
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

1st state butcher covers are extremely rare, worth several thousand for sure. Some 3rd states are perfectly peeled and repaired to look really nice. I was always under the impression that NO 1st states actually made it into stores, even on the first day. They were all either destroyed or returned. The only 1st states out there come from record store managers, record plant workers, DJs, or record executives that kept them. So you might want to check a few things to make sure. Bruce Spizer's book on the American LPs contains all the info you'll need. But Harbidge can give you a few pointers too. I still think eBay is the best place to see prices and what people are paying for them...
http://search.ebay.com/beatle-butche...eQ2aQ20butcher

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2006, 10:07 AM   #18
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Right, the Butcher cover...

The infamous Butcher cover is quite possibly the most well known album cover amongst the collecting world, and due to its extremely colourful history they're regarded as treasures in collections. People are prepared to pay a lot just so that they can say "I have a butcher cover".

The Butcher Cover story started back in 1966 when the Beatles were commisioned for another photo shoot for their latest US LP which was to be called 'Yesterday... and Today'. The photographer hired was called Robert Whittaker, who was known to be a bit of an off-the-wall photographer. The Beatles started the photo session as normal and soon became bored of doing another 'Beatle thing'. Robert, sensing this, decided to spice up the photo shoot a little by digging out some butchers smocks, some slabs of meat and 2 decapitated baby dolls. It was with this material that 12 photos were taken and developed.

Initially it was done to just relieve the boredom, but unfortunately Capitol didn't know this. They got hold of the butcher photos, and chose on one photo. This was to be the photo used on their latest LP.

Initially, 750,000 copies were printed and mailed out to DJs and Major stores for them to play the music and to get a sampling of the publics response. It was not good. People were not paying attention to the music but were instead transfixed with the cover. People hated it and DJs spent time on the air discussing it and it's vileness.

Capitol immediately began to recall all the copies it mailed out (with a couple leaking out into private collectors hands), and began the huge task of destroying them. Covers were either burned or buried at the local tip (there are documents to prove this). Meanwhile, the Beatles were called back in for another photoshoot which churned out the more innocent looking 'Trunk' Cover.

After Capitol had started destroying the covers, it soon transpired that it would cost a huge amount of money to destroy every single cover, and so a new idea had to be thought of. This idea resulted in simply pasting a new cover over the Butcher slick, hiding it forever. So the first batch of covers had the butcher slick underneath the new trunk slick.

When collectors got their copies of Yesterday... and Today, they tore the trunk cover off to see whether they had gotten an elusive butcher slick underneath. Those who did have a slick almost certainly ruined the butcher in the process.

These days 'Butcher' covers are incredibly hard to find. Through the years the majority have either been destroyed via peeling or have ended up in permanent collections.

This is a '2nd state' Butcher cover (my own copy). If you look within the red box you can see a faint V shape - this is the V of Ringo's Butcher smock and is the prime way of identifying copies.

This is my best Butcher cover and is what caused all the rucous. This is a copy where the 'trunk' slick shown above has been peeled off to show the Butcher cover underneath.

To elaborate on each state...

1st State
This is where an original 'Butcher' slick, one that had been sent out to promote the new LP had managed to escape from the massive recall and thus was never destroyed nor had the 'trunk' slick pasted over it. Only a very small handful of these LPs exist and prices for decent copies can be up to $10,000 for a mono and up to $20,000 for a stereo!

2nd State
This is where a 1st state has been recalled back to the pressing plant and escaped the destruction phase. The records were taken out of the covers and were sent to have the 'Trunk' slick pasted on top and then distributed around the country like this. Prices for immaculate copies are about $700 for a mono and over $1,000 for a stereo!

3rd State
This is where a fan has managed to get ahold of a 2nd state butcher and has peeled off the trunk slick to reveal the Butcher underneath. A lot of the time this process was unsuccessful, causing a horribly torn Butcher slick and ruining it altogether. Thus, decent peeljobs of the LP can cost around $500 for a mono nd around $700-800 for a stereo.

Remember, the 2nd states were only pressed in a strictly finite number. When they've gone there will be no more! And as people continually peel their 2nd states to show the Butcher underneath the number of untouched 2nd states keeps on going down and down. After 30 years the ratio has flipped so out of the many number of 2nd states released over 50% have now been peeled, possibly even over 60%! As such it is getting harder and harder to get them and it's highly recommended that if you have a 2nd state you leave it unpeeled! It's price is predicted to skyrocket as numbers continue to fall.
Old May 02, 2006, 10:09 AM   #19
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Yeah, 1st States never made it to the shops. Well, copies were sent but were recalled before the release day. The only 1st states out there that survived were DJ copies, copies where the shop manager craftally snuck a copy out before release for a friend or where a worker at the plant who was paid to open the shrink and take out the record and inner sleeve ready for the new cover snuck home a Butcher without their bosses knowing.
Old May 02, 2006, 10:49 AM   #20
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbidge
I personally own 6 Butcher covers. I have...

Poorly peeled mono 3rd state
Okay peeled mono 3rd state
Brilliantly peeled 3rd state
Really nice mono 2nd state
Okay peeled Stereo 3rd state
Awesome Japanese repro. I like to hang that one on the wall.
the japanese repro??? what is the signifigance of those? and are there many counterfiets?

I purchased one...just for grins really.....have no real knowledge of the differences.
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote