BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old May 15, 2002, 06:05 PM   #1
Hippie_Lennon
Little Child

Default Butcher Cover Help

I Am looking on information on the butcher cover, Me and a friend found the Beatles, Yesterday and Today Record without the cover, and we are a bit excited... we looked up the description of the record, and it matches, but i don't know if it means anything.... It looks like its Machine stamped on the record:

STL 2553-49... i'm not sure about it though...

The center is black, and has the rainbow around it....

If anyone has ANY infomation on the Butcher cover, i would really appriciate it posted here or a web site given

Thanks, I hope you can help, We're probably getting excited over nothing though

*~Hippie~*

------------------
"Imagine All the People, Living Life in Peace." --John Lennon--
Hippie_Lennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2002, 08:08 PM   #2
bobdude
Dr. Robert

Default Re: Butcher Cover Help

Here's a site with most everything that you need to know about the Butcher cover http://www.eskimo.com/~bpentium/butcher.html
This should answer most questions that you have about the infamous cover.(Not my site by the way)

------------------
bobdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2002, 08:43 PM   #3
bearkat77
Administrator

Since HArb has SO many copies of the Butcher cover, maybe it would be a good idea to get some info from him.

------------------

Bearkat77's Beatlemaniac Page
Bearkat77's Tribute to John Lennon
Bearkat77's Tribute to Ringo Starr
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2002, 09:09 AM   #4
Hippie_Lennon
Little Child

Yes, I was going to ask Harb... But he wasn't on... It was the first Time i have had access to an instant messenger for almost 4 months.
Thanks alot for the information, I'm reviewing it now

Which ones does Harb have... Hm... i've only heard about them *counts on fingers* and seen them *counts on fingers*... I think i ran out of fingers... I better go hurry up and look up information

Thanks again~ Keep posting more info

*~Hippie~*

------------------
Old May 16, 2002, 09:54 AM   #5
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

It would be the same disc whether oit was the Butcher or Trunk covers.
However,the price guides claim it is worth $30 in VG condition,so it is of value just for the disc,plus in 1973 they changed the mixes of Dr. Robert and And Your Bird Can Sing.

------------------
Tim

Tim Brent's Yellow Submarine Page
The Beatles' Record Advertisements
The Beatles' Record Covers Yahoo! Club
The Beatles Video Theatre

[This Message Has Been Edited By Tim On May 16, 2002 10:55 AM]
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2002, 07:12 PM   #6
bobdude
Dr. Robert

Although I don't have as many as you Harb, I have a 2nd state mono and a 3rd state mono. I found the 2nd state mono looking through used vinyl at a local record store approx.6 years ago. But the most incredible thing was that I only paid $5.99 for it! Talk about getting a bargain,eh? It is the cornerstone of my collection.

------------------
bobdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2002, 11:11 PM   #7
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Yeah, I got 5 of 'em. I got pics of them on the net:
http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/paulisdead/butch2.html is the first one I ever got. A mono 3rd state.
http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/paulisdead/butch1.html is the second one I got. A mono 3rd state.
http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/paulisdead/butch3.html is my third. A stereo 3rd state.
http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/pau...utcher2nd.html is my forth. A mono 2nd state.
http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/pau...oodbut3rd.html is my fifth. My best mono 3rd state

------------------
Paul is Dead - The Conclusive Evidence - "OFFICIALLY The BEST Paul is Dead site on the internet!! EVERY clue ever found is listed using album covers and music excerpts as evidence!!!"
The Definitive Introducing the Beatles Authentification Guide - "Fantastic site. One of a kind in this subject and a site that all collectors can refer too."
TVGhosts - Exploring the fantastic phenomena known as TVGhosts. Faces that appear in turned off televisions in photographs.
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2002, 01:57 AM   #8
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Wow! my 2nd state cost me $300!

------------------
Paul is Dead - The Conclusive Evidence - "OFFICIALLY The BEST Paul is Dead site on the internet!! EVERY clue ever found is listed using album covers and music excerpts as evidence!!!"
The Definitive Introducing the Beatles Authentification Guide - "Fantastic site. One of a kind in this subject and a site that all collectors can refer too."
TVGhosts - Exploring the fantastic phenomena known as TVGhosts. Faces that appear in turned off televisions in photographs.
Old May 22, 2002, 09:51 AM   #9
Hippie_Lennon
Little Child

My friend is sitting beside me now......

Oh Harb... i thought you had a 1st state... or something like that... wait...

is 1st state the Trunk one... wat is what... I can't access the pictrues at school, because of the blocks, i'm suprised they even let me into the forum... ... I'm good... I'm working hard...

Well gtg... move onto 4th block

*~Hippie~*

------------------
Old May 22, 2002, 10:33 AM   #10
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

1st State
------------

This is a butcher cover that has not had anything glued on top of it. It is the butcher slick that has never had a trunk slick pasted on top of it.

2nd State
------------

This is a butcher cover where the trunk cover has been pasted over the top of the butcher slick, but has not been peeled off in any way. If you look closely at the example, you can see the V neck of Ringos overcoat just to the right of the trunk.

3rd State
------------

This is a butcher cover where the trunk cover has been peeled off, revealing the butcher slick underneath. Since the butcher slick had no lamination, many butchers were destroyed during the peeling process. Because of this, the good peels are worth more

I hope this helped you.

------------------

[This Message Has Been Edited By Harbidge On May 22, 2002 11:40 AM]

[This Message Has Been Edited By Harbidge On May 22, 2002 11:42 AM]
Old May 22, 2002, 10:48 AM   #11
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Tim's right about the disk though, since it's only a Butcher cover, the disk remained the same.

Back in 1966, when the record was recalled, hundreds of workers had to open the shrink of the butcher covers, and put the records and inner sleeves in one pile, and the cover in another.

Then, when the trunk covers were made, the records were put back in again.

------------------
Old May 24, 2002, 02:47 PM   #12
Sexy_Sadie
Mr. Moonlight

Harb or Tim, can you please PLEASE help me with something??? I just purchased The Beatles Yesterday and Today. The vinyl is in VG++ condition, but the cover isn't unfortunately. ( I got it really cheap so what can I expect?) The seams are ripped so the cover opens like a book now, and a lot of the writing is scraped off of the spine. Now what I was wondering is was the trunk cover placed over Yesterday and Today? Or were some manufactured with just the trunk cover as the real cover? This cover looks exactly like the trunk slick on the 3rd state album you have shown - it has "New improved full dimensional sound" written across the top. However, it has "Litho in Canada" printed down the side. Would the butcher cover still be under this? Do you know if the butcher slick was even printed in Canada? I'm sure the butcher cover is under the trunk slick, as the trunk cover appears to be a sticker since it is lifting up at the corners. Also, there is like a little rock under the trunk slick, causing it to lift up in the middle. However, I can't see the V neck in of Ringo's coat through the trunk slick. What I'm also wondering is would it be worth it to try to steam the trunk slick off? If so, how would I do this? ANY help you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!

------------------
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see..."
Sexy_Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2002, 03:02 PM   #13
Sexy_Sadie
Mr. Moonlight

One more question...
This comes from the site that Bobdude posted, talking about the Canadian Butcher (thanks by the way):
"There is however an original Stereo slick. "Beckett" is the watermark in the slick.

The butcher slick itself on both copies is factory laminated much the same as the American "Ain't She Sweet". In the lower right front of the Butcher slick is the small black print "Litho In Canada".

The back cover features the print "Printed in Canada" along with photos of other Beatles Canadian LP titles. The record number is the same as the U.S. one (S)T-2553 and was released in the summer of 66 as well."

Everything on my album matches that description, except the cover is the trunk cover. So would you think that this is rare? If so, I won't try to peel the slick off! Oh, and what does it mean by the "Beckett is the watermark in the slick" part?

------------------

[This Message Has Been Edited By Sexy_Sadie On May 24, 2002 04:02 PM]
Old May 24, 2002, 03:09 PM   #14
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

The great bulk of rainbow LP's will have just the Trunk cover on them,as they were pressed with it from June 1966 until 1968.

------------------
Tim

Tim Brent's Yellow Submarine Page
The Beatles' Record Advertisements
The Beatles' Record Covers Yahoo! Club
The Beatles Video Theatre
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2002, 02:01 AM   #15
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

I'm sorry, but your 'Yesterday and Today' LP is just a normal trunk cover.

Canada started to produce their butcher covers much later than America, and so a lot less were printed before Alan Livingstone phoned up Paul White of Capitol Canada to tell them that a new cover was being done, and that the butcher covers should be deleted.

Paul always had a mono and a stereo slick sent up to him so that he could see if there were any printing errors, and he had these in his office when the call to destroy the butcher slicks came through. Ultimately, these were the only survivors.

Paul gave the mono to a work collegue, and kept the stereo for himself.

In the 30 years after this, only one more Canadian butcher has been discovered. This is an unassembled stereo slick that must have been mislaid during the destruction process.

Sadly, there were no pasteovers.

------------------
Old May 25, 2002, 02:03 AM   #16
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Oh, and the watermark I believe was something that was on the original uncut slicks for authentification purposes. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong here.

------------------
Old May 26, 2002, 05:48 PM   #17
Sexy_Sadie
Mr. Moonlight

Awww, I thought maybe I had a butcher cover! Want to send me one of yours Harb? I'm sure you could spare just one So let me just get this straight though - the trunk slick on my cover is obviously a sticker because it is lifting. So when making the cover for this record in Canada, all they did was take a cardboard jacket and paste the trunk slick on top?
Thanks so much for all your info and for answering my questions guys!

------------------
Old May 27, 2002, 01:07 PM   #18
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

All covers up until the last 60's were made of 3 parts. The trunk skeleton, the back slick, and the front slick. If it were any different then it would have been impossible for an alternative skick to have been glued over another.

------------------
Old May 28, 2002, 12:12 AM   #19
Sexy_Sadie
Mr. Moonlight

Oh okay, thanks!

------------------
Old May 29, 2002, 02:12 PM   #20
LivingInTheMaterialWorld
Apple Scruff

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Harbidge:
Yeah, I got 5 of 'em. I got pics of them on the net:
http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/paulisdead/butch2.html is the first one I ever got. A mono 3rd state.
http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/paulisdead/butch1.html is the second one I got. A mono 3rd state.
http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/paulisdead/butch3.html is my third. A stereo 3rd state.
http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/pau...utcher2nd.html is my forth. A mono 2nd state.
http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/pau...oodbut3rd.html is my fifth. My best mono 3rd state

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW! Where did U find them? Im new 2 this site and also a young Beatles fan so I will probably never find anything collectible. :*(

------------------