BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Oct 28, 2005, 01:56 PM   #1
gberman
Day Tripper

Default "WABeatlesC" radio site

I found a great site just over a week ago that really made me flip. It's dedicated to the old 77WABC radio station in New York, which, of course was a major force in spreading the word about the Beatles not long before they "invaded" the U.S. in '64. And, of course, it had one of the most powerful signals in the country, so even those of you who did not grow up in the New York area might be familiar with it. Cousin Brucie, Dan Ingram, Scott Muni, and the other DJs have become icons in the decades since their voices and corny jokes graced the New York airwaves from the early '60s onward.
This site has hours and hours of audio goodies, ranging from brief montages of old promos/commercials/jingles, to full-length broadcasts as they aired in their original form, from the early 60s to the early 80s. I've been taping them off my computer speakers so I could listen to it in the car!
Please check out the incredible segments of Cousin Brucie and Dan Ingram reporting live from a room at the Delmonico Hotel in '64, as the Beatles ended their first tour, with thousands of fans below listening to them on their transistor radios. The actual communication between the DJs over the air to the frenzied fans on the street (while waiting for Ringo and Paul to stop by for a chat) is absolutely breathtaking. Murray the K had nothing on these guys. It is a long segment, so sit back and go back in time to that moment. Another great clip is from the following year, this time from the Warwick, where you hear a near-riot break out in front of the hotel, as the Beatles fool the fans by arriving from the wrong direction on the one-way street (thanks to a clever move by the NYPD). Angie McGowan was there to give Ringo back his lost St. Christopher's medallion. The DJs treated it with the importance of the Camp David Peace Treaty, but made the best of a rather awkward meeting between Ringo, Angie, and her friends.
This site has lots of Beatles-related stuff--contests for tickets to the Paramount gig, and for the Shea concert, a phone call to one of the winners, promos, and a lot more. It's not the easiest site to navigate, but I suggest you begin by going to Musicradio77.com.
You may have to go back to Google and type in "Cousin Brucie 1965", and that should help get you to the page with all of the on-air reports from the hotels (I'm only computer semi-literate, so I sometimes have to do things a bit ass-backwards).
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts about it.

Last edited by gberman : Oct 28, 2005 at 01:58 PM.
gberman is offline   Reply With Quote