BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Old Jun 28, 2006, 05:59 PM   #61
rwbarnes
Rocky Raccoon

Send a message via AIM to rwbarnes Send a message via MSN to rwbarnes Send a message via Yahoo to rwbarnes

Well, I just finished "Here, There and Everywhere" and I loved it!!!!

I'm going to start Cynthia's "John" tonight. I'll let you know how I like it, though I haven't read "A Twist Of Lennon.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:16 PM   #62
eppylover
Apple Scruff

Beatle books that don't lower themselves with hypotheses, speculation and wishful thinking?
Books that are Purely Beatles? They would be ~

The Beatles by Hunter Davies (the original Eppy-authorized Beatle bio)
and
old Beatles friend/assistant Tony Bramwell's Magical Mystery Tours-My Life With The Beatles.

God, Bramwell is good.
Don't confuse him with publicist Tony Barrow, though, who also has a (not as good) book out! The Boys weren't as chummy with Barrow as they were with Bramwell, and threw a lot of dry leg-pulling his way, much of which he seems to have taken seriously.

For a winning Beatles-oriented book with a lot of Brian, the wonderfully devoted Alistair "Mr Fixit" Taylor gives us 2003's With The Beatles
(a rewrite of his 2001 A Secret History).

Finally being who I am, I feel obliged to very highly recommend these books about Brian with heavy Beatles content ~ I adore
The Man Who Made The Beatles by Ray Coleman, and
The Brian Epstein Story (aka ~ In My Life:The Brian Epstein Story) by Debbie Geller.
Actually, the last two are my all-time favorites, but we're talking mainly Beatles here, so I listed the others first.
eppylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 01:23 PM   #63
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Talking

I know that everyone (including Paul) hates this book but I looooove "The Love You Make" by Peter Brown. When I finally found my very own copy (well my Dad found it for me years ago) I was so happy.
I also love my copy of Cynthia's "John" because it has a her signed dedication to me in the front!!
Another fav has to be my hard cover anthology book.
I love all my Beatles books almost equally....the decision is too hard for me to make!
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:01 PM   #64
eppylover
Apple Scruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy
I know that everyone (including Paul) hates this book but I looooove "The Love You Make" by Peter Brown. When I finally found my very own copy (well my Dad found it for me years ago) I was so happy.
I agree that "The Love You Make" is a very compelling, enjoyable and entertaining read. Brown's a great storyteller, and Gaines can write Brown's stories to perfection.

But that's what a lot of it is: just STORIES. Embellishments vaguely based on truths.

Loooove it if you wish; however, BE CAREFUL YOU DON'T BELIEVE WHAT HE WRITES.

Beatlefest banned him for a reason.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:24 PM   #65
eppylover
Apple Scruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantingLennon
I don't trust "The Love You Make" by Peter Brown, Albert Goldman, or Geoffrey Guiliano.
Very intuitive and observant of you, EnchantingLennon!
The biggest unreliability tipoff on P.Brown would be that he and his tabloidy ghostwriter Gaines stooped to lying to the inner circle in order to steal their private thoughts and remembrances, certainly stuff not meant for publication. When he couldn't pry goodies out of someone directly, he chose to print tawdry speculation as fact. Especially about Brian.

Imagine how in 1983, the then 32-year-old (me) who idolized Brian for almost 20 years reads The Love You Make and is re-introduced to Eppy in this awful way. Then attends Beatlefest that year to meet Mr Brown and has him autograph that book. I'm ashamed.

Beatlefest later banned the man I now call "backstabber Peter Brown" from being a guest at any of their functions, because of his deception.

It's too late for Brian now. Brown's version of the "Little Lord Fauntleroy" (he actually wrote that!) Eppy is forever burned in most of the general public's minds because it was their first (and usually only) impression.

To make things forever worse, Albert "The Lives of John Lennon" Goldman used material from Peter Brown's book, and Goldman's book picked up from there and expanded further with much damaging fantasy on top of Brown's speculative innuendo.

This is the road upon which Eppy's reputation was dragged down and sullied.
I'm forever pondering: What can I do now, at my age and level of obscurity, to restore the fully-deserved adulation, respect and dignity that Brian Epstein possessed in the 60's?

Not many other people seem to care. Damn it, somebody has to.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:43 AM   #66
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Talking

Yeah, yeah I know! I still like it though - just can't help myself!
I know it is mostly lies and was done in a very nasty way and that is why I covered myself by saying that I know everyone is anti it!

And yeah like I said, I do have other favs!
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 08:07 AM   #67
chachaBOOM909
Apple Scruff

Anthology without a doubt!
Old Jul 25, 2006, 08:12 AM   #68
Mccartney-rocks
Apple Scruff

Send a message via AIM to Mccartney-rocks Send a message via MSN to Mccartney-rocks

i don't have a fav book but if u will count a best book that is out there i would say...... The Anthology, A life in pictures, and teenagers guide!!!! ya
Old Jul 25, 2006, 08:21 PM   #69
AndersonCouncill
Taxman

I don't own any
Old Aug 07, 2006, 12:03 PM   #70
Everywhere Man
Apple Scruff

Send a message via MSN to Everywhere Man

I think it's hard to beat Anthology. It's all their own words (although that might not be the best source?) and there are plenty of pictures.

I also enjoyed Larry Kane's Ticket to Ride because it was written by somebody who was there (for the 1964-65 US tours) and doesn't have something against the guys. Epstein tried to seduce Larry.

Last edited by Everywhere Man : Aug 07, 2006 at 03:00 PM.
Everywhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:42 PM   #71
John Cee
Day Tripper

There are some very well researched Beatle books out there, and there are a lot that just spread rumours and gossip. I put Peter Brown's book ("The Love You Make") into the latter category -- as a Beatle insider, he makes all sorts of sensational but unsubstantiated claims (among them, George's alleged affair with Ringo's wife Maureen that destroyed both marriages -- his proof? "No one will confirm this, but no one denies it either!" How can a supposed "friend" of someone publish, for the world to see, something like that, based on that sort of evidence?)

I think the best Beatle books I own are:
Lennon -- by Ray Coleman (his original version published in the 1980's contained a few errors, but he corrected them in the 1990's)
A Day In The Life: The Music and Artistry of the Beatles by Mark Hertsgard (1995). (very well researched, focuses on the music rather than the band's private lives, a critical look at the contributions of all four members of the band, rather than focusing on just one, as so many books do; the notes in the back, outlining where he got his facts, is almost a book within a book, full of interesting info)
Recording Sessions by Mark Lewisohn (the bible of Beatle music -- encyclopedic and essential)

I've got nothing to say, but it's okay!
GOOD MORNING!
GOOD MORNING!!
GOOD MORNING!!!
John Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 04:08 PM   #72
mccartneymaniac
Dr. Robert

Cool books

lennon's poetry, larry kanes books, photo ones love to just see pics i have others but those i like best
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:47 AM   #73
MacLen Walrus
Apple Scruff

Talking Another Tough Question!

I would have to say, John Lennon In His Own Write. I love the info books on the Beatles and have yet to read Anthology, but this book remains my favorite, as it was bought originally by my mother (she also bought A Spainiard In The Works), and is just a classic.
A side note: I once contemplated writing a humour book about dogs with the working title "A Spaniel In The Works."
Old Sep 07, 2006, 06:34 PM   #74
jetblackduojet
Banned

just finished reading "the music of george harrison:while my guitar gently weeps" by simon leng and i would recommend it to anyone who wants a deeper opinion on his music and his influences.
jetblackduojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 04:30 PM   #75
mccartneymaniac
Dr. Robert

Smile book

by a beatle john's in his own write because it got me started writing.after that a few larry kane's ticket to ruide, beatles forever, beatle songs, betales and each in their own words and foir the memory growing up and the beatles are coming spizers books are good.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 06:41 PM   #76
wildewoman
Taxman

I used to have TONS of Beatle books, but a lot of them got donated or sold along my long and winding road, unfortunately.

Two I wish I'd held onto was "The Beatles Forever" by Nicholas Schaffner and "Growing Up With the Beatles," by Ron Schaumberg. Schaumberg's was unique in that, although it had plenty of Beatle information, it was really the author's "coming of age" story in which the Beatles and their music were always with him, like good friends. His story was interesting and there was enough Beatle information to keep a rabid fan interested.

I actually prefer "Shout" to "Anthology." I still have a copy of "Shout" on my shelf. (I also have two copies of "Anthology" -- two people bought me the same gift for Xmas the year it was published).

As far as books about John go, I liked Coleman's bio and also a book by Anthony Fawcett called "One Day at a Time," which I read at the age of 13. That book swayed me from favoring Paul to favoring John (although I'm probably a rare fan in that I love BOTH of them and can sympathize with both sides of that relationship).

As far as Paul bios go, "Many Years from Now" was great.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 06:54 PM   #77
kazgirl
Wild Honey Pie

Whatever one I'm reading dimplomatic don't cha think? Guiliano and Goldman books make fantastic doorstops thats the nice thing I can say about them

Kaz
when it all works out,
it doesn't matter much to me

Last edited by kazgirl : Sep 27, 2006 at 11:43 PM. Reason: inspiration
kazgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:54 AM   #78
JimmyMcCullochFan
Rocky Raccoon

Send a message via MSN to JimmyMcCullochFan

"John" by Cynthia Lennon and "Here There and Everywhere" by Geoff Emerick just to name a couple.
"Wings IV introduced Jimmy McCulloch, a spunky lead guitarist with grit, able to spur Paul on unlike any previous soloist. His debut track, the magnificent single `Junior's Farm', stands as one of Wings' finest emotional and technical releases."
JimmyMcCullochFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:12 AM   #79
Lennonfan56
Fool On The Hill

A Hard Day's Write
Lennonfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote