BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Old Feb 20, 2005, 09:46 AM   #1
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Send a message via Yahoo to NaomiMcCartney
Question What would you say is your favorite Beatle book that you own

I think my all time favorite Beatle book that I own is The Beatles Lost Archieves book! I simply love it! There are so many photos in that book that I have never seen before. I got it for my 23rd Birthday and it truly is awesome.

Last edited by NaomiMcCartney : Feb 20, 2005 at 09:50 AM.
NaomiMcCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:00 AM   #2
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

My favorite has got to be 'Anthology'. My mojo book comes a distant second.
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:08 PM   #3
child of nature
Nowhere Man

Of course, the Anthology is the pinnacle of Beatles books! However, I am particularly fond of John C. Winn's books, Way Beyond Compare: The Beatles Recorded Legacy vol. 1 1957-1965 and That Magic Feeling: The Beatles Recorded Legacy Vol. 2 1966-1970. I have so many favorites that cover different types of information about the Fabs. I also have to mention Ray Coleman's Lennon, Doug Sulpy & Chip Madinger's books, Bruce Spizer's books, Revolution in the Head by Ian MacDonald, and Andy Babuik's Beatles Gear. The Mojo book is very beautiful and filled with top-notch analysis and articles, too. It's too difficult for me to pick just one book because I am Beatles-book obsessed!

For some uncommon Beatles/Lennon photos, bootleg reviews, screen caps, etc., please visit:
Watching Rainbows: Photos and Commentary
child of nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:43 PM   #4
Maxine
Dr. Robert

There are tons of good Beatles books out there and I have many of them myself, but 'The Beatles Anthology' is the book that first comes to mind. The whole story in their own words, it can´t get much better than that. Another one I really like is a book about the Beatles visiting Sweden, called 'Yeah Yeah Yeah: The Beatles erövrar Sverige''. I also quite like MOJO´s 'The Beatles: 10 years that shook the world'. And there are many other good ones, too.

Last edited by Maxine : Feb 20, 2005 at 12:44 PM.
Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:49 PM   #5
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

I own over 250 Beatles books, many of which are out of print. It's difficult to pick a favorite, but among my faves would definitely be Ray Coleman's "Lennon," and this little book I picked up in England called "Love Me Do: The Beatles Progress" which was written in 1963 at the cusp of Beatlemania, and which is brutally honest and pulls no punches. If you can ever find a copy, it is WELL worth a read.

I think the Anthology is beautifully put together, but funnily enough it is not my favorite Beatles book. It is important because it is a primary source (e.g.,written by the participants themselves), but there are actually some better secondary sources out there, believe it or not.
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 01:52 PM   #6
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to ImaginePeace78 Send a message via Yahoo to ImaginePeace78

My favorite book is "Waiting for the Beatles: An Apple Scruffs Story."
-Kristi

'He (Elvis Presley) turned out to be fantastic. I remember rushing home with the record 'Heartbreak Hotel' and saying, 'He sounds like Frankie Laine and Johnnie Ray and Tennessee Ernie Ford!'' --John Lennon
ImaginePeace78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 05:46 PM   #7
matt2791
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via AIM to matt2791 Send a message via Yahoo to matt2791

My favorite is Postcards from the Boys, by Ringo:)
No, we need money first!
matt2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 06:24 PM   #8
LovinLennon909
Taxman

Anthology, Coleman's "Lennon" and my 1970 and 1980 Lenno/Ono interview books. I am currently trying to sell 30 Beatle books, several out-of-prints, if anyone's looking ;)
Old Feb 20, 2005, 08:26 PM   #9
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourmilkpinky
My favorite has got to be 'Anthology'.
Me too! I don't own too many Beatle books yet, but Anthology is definately my favorite so far.

Last edited by DizzymissLizzy909 : Feb 20, 2005 at 08:27 PM. Reason: i can't type properly
DizzymissLizzy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 08:28 PM   #10
luvsthebeatles
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to luvsthebeatles Send a message via Yahoo to luvsthebeatles

Since I only have about 2, right now it's the George Harrison Encyclopedia. :p
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:44 AM   #11
AnyRoad69
Banned

The Beatles Lost Archieves

What is this for a Book?
Has you a Cover Picture from book??

or did you mean the book here??

Last edited by AnyRoad69 : Feb 21, 2005 at 02:04 AM.
AnyRoad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:15 AM   #12
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Send a message via Yahoo to NaomiMcCartney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyRoad69
The Beatles Lost Archieves

What is this for a Book?
Has you a Cover Picture from book??

or did you mean the book here??

Yes, that is what I meant. I couldn't remember the exact title since I had packed it away because I'm moving into a new home by the end of the week.

NaomiMcCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:02 AM   #13
Dr. Dreamer
Mr. Moonlight

My favorite would be "Hamburg Days". Truly, I have a top ten list of the ones I own, but I think this one would still be #1. It is a Genesis Publication so it's expensive but for me was well worth the price. Stunning photos and of course Klaus' art book that comes with the book of text.
Anthology would run a close second but then I'd have to list John's two books from his Beatle days immediately after that. The other six of my list would be Pete Shotton's book, the two by George Martin, The Literary Lennon by John Sauceda, The Art & Music of John Lennon and finally Ray Coleman's book. But there are so many more I have enjoyed as I am sure you all have too.

Last edited by Dr. Dreamer : Feb 21, 2005 at 08:04 AM.
Dr. Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:22 PM   #14
pepperland67
Dr. Robert

Of course I have the Anthology book, and I consider it to be one of the best. Some of my other favorites are the Ray Coleman book on John, The Day John Met Paul, The Making of Sgt Pepper, The Longest Cocktail Party (not all Beatles)...and this other amazing book I have that focuses on the rehearsals for the Our World broadcast of All You Need Is Love. (Just for the record girls, there are some stellar drool-worthy pictures in that one!)

"Sometimes the things that you liked the best and that have meant the most to you are the things that meant nothing at all to you when you first heard or saw them." - Bob Dylan
pepperland67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:58 PM   #15
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Ooooooo... this is a toughie. Great idea for a topic, though! It's interesting to read what y'all like.

For me, I have a have to separate them out into picture books, and actual book books. I love the Anthology book, and it fits into both categories too! Tons of great pics, and great content. Ok, now for picture books. I echo Amanda's comment about the Our World book. It's called "All You Need is Love", and yes, ladies..... definite drool worthy pics. If you're a sucker for the Beatles in their "freak outs" (what Paul called their psychedelic clothes), then this is a definite must-have. I also love Linda McCartney's book "The Sixties". Granted, it's not all Beatles, but the Beatles pics she has are stellar, as are the other pics in there.

In the way of book books, I have a lot of faves. "Many Years from Now" by Barry Miles (Paul's biography), "With a Little Help from My Friends" by George Martin (the story of the making of Pepper), "Lennon" by Ray Coleman, "The Day John Met Paul" by Jim O'Donnell, and "With the Beatles" by Alistair Taylor. I hope I'm not forgetting any of my faves......

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 03:03 PM   #16
MaccaGirl2891
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via MSN to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Yahoo to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Skype™ to MaccaGirl2891

Since I own about three, I have to say Beatles and John Lennon Unseen Archives!
George Harrison - 2/25/1943--11/29/2001
Michael Joseph Jackson - 8/29/1958--6/25/2009
MaccaGirl2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 03:52 AM   #17
Sally
Sgt. Pepper

For a purely sentimental reason its the Hunter Davis Biog, its the first book I bought with saved up pocket money about the Beatles when I was 11 and wanted to learn more about them.
Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 04:17 AM   #18
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMVNipper
I own over 250 Beatles books, many of which are out of print. It's difficult to pick a favorite, but among my faves would definitely be Ray Coleman's "Lennon," and this little book I picked up in England called "Love Me Do: The Beatles Progress" which was written in 1963 at the cusp of Beatlemania, and which is brutally honest and pulls no punches. If you can ever find a copy, it is WELL worth a read.

I think the Anthology is beautifully put together, but funnily enough it is not my favorite Beatles book. It is important because it is a primary source (e.g.,written by the participants themselves), but there are actually some better secondary sources out there, believe it or not.
Ditto. Many of my Beatle books are out of print. My list of favorites are:

Harrison by the editors of Rolling Stone
the George biography by Alan Clayson as part of the Beatle Box Set
The Beatles' Literary Anthology, which is a delightful compilation of essays about the Fab 4
Ticket to Ride by Larry Kane

As much as I love the Beatles' own "Anthology," it is not my favorite. It IS a beautiful book and a vitally necessary one, but I agree that there are some better secondary sources as well.

I really love Simon Leng's biography of George and "Before He Was Fab," the book about George's first visit to the U.S. in September of 1963. That for me is a "feel good" book. This time last year when I had a terrible case of bronchitis, I kept "Before He Was Fab" at close reach because it is a "comfort" book and one I find lots of fun. You can finish it very quickly, but it is still, for me one of those pleasant, soothing accounts. I just love it.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 04:18 AM   #19
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaomiMcCartney
Yes, that is what I meant. I couldn't remember the exact title since I had packed it away because I'm moving into a new home by the end of the week. :thumbsup2:
Yeah, this one is a real treasure trove. I love it!
You get treated to some delightful pictures and
the book has a chronology. I got this one for
Christmas 2002 and it is another "feel good"
book. :thumbsup2:

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 04:57 AM   #20
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I have 3 real favs that stick out in my mind. The Walrus was Paul and the Beatles book of lists are 2 of them. I think my absolute fav is Beatletoons by Mitch Axelrod. I love the beatles cartoons and it was the first beatle book I ever got. I was so excited to get it, plus it had plenty of pics for me to draw so I think that's why i like it so much

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote