BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Old Aug 19, 2001, 06:53 AM   #61
jtal909
Sun King

Default Re: The Essentials in Beatle Reading!

The version that I have (just got it on ebay)is a 1985 first American edition.
Bearkat, that is a good guess. I bet you're right.

------------------
"Why don't you say it in your famous James Mason impersonation?"
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2001, 07:59 AM   #62

jtal, check out this link I found... Yoko herself gives an explanation about the mystery person:

From -
http://www.instantkarma.com/iknews_052200_3virgins.html

[So..Who is the Third Person in that "Two Virgins + One" Picture?

(Entered May 22, 2000)

There's been a discussion on the Yoko Ono listserv, Ono-Net, about the identity of the man who is standing naked beside John and Yoko in a different version of the famous "Two Virgins" photograph. Was this third person a cameraman who helped set up the camera and remote? Was it an assistant? Or was it someone who used trick photography to insert himself into the origiinal picture? IK! has received an answer to this question, from someone who was there. Yoko replied to the "Three Virgins" question with the following:

"(Regarding) the 'Two Virgins' photo with another person standing beside us. The only one I know is the one that a professor sent to us at the time, saying he liked the Two Virgins photo idea so much that he joined in. He was standing naked in the picture next to us! John thought it was funny, I didn't like it that much. The professor looked just as 'au naturel' as us, meaning, you knew he came from the preGym generation! Other people probably must have done it, too. This one the professor sent us was a huge photo -the size of a large poster- with a decent frame around it. I don't know where it went. We lost it."

Yoko has reiterated to IK! that there was no one else being photographed with John and Yoko for the "Two Virgins" photo session.

Jordan Scoggins ( The Yoko Archives ) told Ono-Net a picture with a third person standing in the photo with John and Yoko was published in the book: "Imagine: A Celebration of John Lennon."

The picture, or one using the same trick photography idea, has been floating around since the "old days" because I can remember seeing it several years ago.]

------------------
Old Aug 19, 2001, 09:00 AM   #63
jtal909
Sun King

Thanks, NWM. that explains it. It really is funny, then. John though it was funny and liked it enough to keep it displayed leaning on the floor against other clutter in his clutter room.

------------------
"Why don't you say it in your famous James Mason impersonation?"
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 04:41 AM   #64
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By Tim:

3. Mersey Beat:The Beginnings of The Beatles(Facsimilies of many Mersey beat pages)

[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I just got a copy of this from a customer!! What a great read!! Really cool.
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 03:55 AM   #65
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Quote:
Originally Posted By bearkat77:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By beatlesquia:
hey!! what about the anthology book!!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">And yet another fine piece of literature every Beatle fan should own.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Yet another book that I still havent finished reading yet! lol! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Feb 26, 2004, 04:55 AM: Message Edited By: lennonluvr9 ][/size]
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 01:38 PM   #66
GladYaCame68
Fool On The Hill

I barely look at other Beatle books, since I got the Anthology. I mean, COME ON! They fookin' wrote the book! Why settle for some book about them whe they weren't even THERE?! I'll settle for the one the boys themselves wrote. It has 8 page bios of each of the boys. And it has funny childhood stories, (like when Paul and George were hitchiking, and Paul got a burn mark across his ass.)
GladYaCame68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:38 PM   #67
beatlelover45223

Quote:
Originally Posted By bearkat77:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:
Another good resource tool is the Beatlemania game (the Beatle version of "Trivial Pursuit," of sorts). I ordered mine back in the mid-1980s from Beatlefest and I sure have the DARNDEST time finding anybody who'll play it with me!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Join the club.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Sign me up too !
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 01:35 PM   #68
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Quote:
Originally Posted By GladYaCame68:
I barely look at other Beatle books, since I got the Anthology. I mean, COME ON! They fookin' wrote the book! Why settle for some book about them whe they weren't even THERE?! I'll settle for the one the boys themselves wrote. It has 8 page bios of each of the boys. And it has funny childhood stories, (like when Paul and George were hitchiking, and Paul got a burn mark across his ass.)
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Yeah, but you know what? I don't believe everything in there either. Because memories are faulty things...and if you read the Anthology you will find that each of them has a different story about the same occurrance some of the time. Nothing is foolproof (or should that be Beatleproof?), so even they are not the best authorities on the Beatles! I think in order to get a good picture of the Fabs and their story and impact on the world, you have to take a combination of reliable and reputable books (which leaves out Goldman and Giuliano, among others) and glean what you can from all of them.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 09:30 AM   #69
beatlelover45223

I would also recommend "The Beatles Diary" by Barry Miles, a good read...
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:39 AM   #70
Jason Byzewski
Nowhere Man

My picks are Many Years From Now, I Me Mine, Cellar Full Of Noise, and of course The Beatles Anthology written by the Fabs themselves.
Jason Byzewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2004, 07:33 AM   #71
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

As Susan said, memories are not infallible. That has been demonstrated quite plainly in the much beloved Anthology. George Harrison's sister and her co-author of Before He Was Fab, a book I truly love relate instances where members of the Four Vests, a local band had differing accounts of the same incident.

One example that stands out was a conflict over whether or not George sang "Happy Birthday" to somebody in Benton that summer of 1963.

Still, warts and all, I just LOVE these books!
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2004, 07:10 AM   #72
Beatlebomb85
Fool On The Hill

Does anybody else completely love Beatlesongs by William J. Dowdling (I think that's his name)? It's so awesome. I think that The Love You Make by Peter Brown is a terrible book, anybody else agree? I mean, he had his facts screwed up at times. Like he said John was the oldest? Then he said Neil Aspinall was surely the fifth Beatle, and then he goes off and credits Brian Epstein as being the fifth Beatle. It may have been alright at times, but by the end of the book I felt that I had read a biography of Brian Epstein, not the Beatles, sort of like Shout! by Phillip Norman (or what was it? Norma Phillips? That's classic!).
Beatlebomb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2004, 05:06 AM   #73
BeatlesScruff
Mr. Moonlight

[ QUOTE ]
Beatlebomb85 Posted:
Does anybody else completely love Beatlesongs by William J. Dowdling (I think that's his name)? It's so awesome. I think that The Love You Make by Peter Brown is a terrible book, anybody else agree? I mean, he had his facts screwed up at times. Like he said John was the oldest? Then he said Neil Aspinall was surely the fifth Beatle, and then he goes off and credits Brian Epstein as being the fifth Beatle. It may have been alright at times, but by the end of the book I felt that I had read a biography of Brian Epstein, not the Beatles, sort of like Shout! by Phillip Norman (or what was it? Norma Phillips? That's classic!).

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> I loved the Love You Make. It was the second Beatle book I read, second to A Day In A Life (which I didn't like that book - boring). But I loved the Love You Make. Did Peter have an affair with Brian? That is what I heard!

Tiff Lennon </font>
BeatlesScruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2005, 06:55 AM   #74
child of nature
Nowhere Man

I've enjoyed reading everyone's recommendations in this thread. We had a similar discussion at the John Lennon Forum, so I thought I would add my list of favorites to this thread as well:

RECORDING SESSIONS, TV APPEARANCES, CONCERTS, BOOTLEGS (These are centered on the music and are not biographies):

1.Anything by Mark Lewisohn, such as The Complete Beatles Chronicles and Recording Sessions

2. Way Beyond Compare: The Beatles' Recorded Legacy Vol. 1 1957-1965--John C. Winn

3. That Magic Feeling: The Beatles' Recorded Legacy Vol. 2 1966-1970--John C. Winn

4. Eight Arms To Hold You: The Solo Beatles Compendium--Chip Madinger and Mark Easter

5. The 910s Guide To The Beatles' Outtakes 2004 Edition--Doug Sulpy (also his Core Collection book)

6. Not For Sale: The Beatles' Legacy as Archived on Unauthorized Recordings

7. Revolution In The Head--Ian MacDonald (even though Paul doesn't like it)

8. Beatlesongs--William Dowlding

9. A Hard Day's Write--Steve Turner

10. All of Bruce Spizer's beautiful books: The Beatles' Records on Vee-Jay, The Beatles' Story on Capitol Records vols. 1 &amp; 2, The Beatles Are Coming!, and The Beatles on Apple Records

11. Beatles Gear--Andy Babiuk (history of all the Beatles' instruments)

12. Beatles Undercover--Kris Englehardt

BIOGRAPHIES, AUTOBIOGRAPHIES, TIMELINES, etc.

1. The Anthology

2. Lennon--Ray Coleman

3. Many Years From Now--Barry Miles &amp; Paul McCartney

4. I, Me, Mine--George Harrison

5. The Beatles: A Diary--Barry Miles

6. The Beatles After The Break Up--Keith Badman

7. All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono--David Sheff (Playboy Interviews)

8. Lennon Remembers--Jann Wenner

9. Ticket To Ride--Larry Kane (Information about their US tours; Kane is a respected journalist who was with them on the tours--he loves the guys, and wrote a wonderful book with many insights!!)

10. A Twist of Lennon--Cynthia Lennon (Twist)

11. Loving John--May Pang

12. John Lennon In My Life--Pete Shotton with Nicholas Schaffner

13. Lennon: A Journey Through John Lennon's Life And Times In Words And Pictures--John Robertson (he also wrote The Art and Music of John Lennon)

14. The Beatles: Ten Years That Shook The World--The Editors of Mojo Magazine

15. Postcards From The Boys--Ringo Starr (not really an autobiography or biog., but Ringo reveals some interesting stories, and we get to see these fantastic postcards from John, Paul, and George!!)

16. The Beatles: The Authorized Biography--Hunter Davies (Their "official" biography, first published in 1968.)

17. Gimme Some Truth: The John Lennon FBI Files--John Weiner

Now, I'm going to recommend a couple that you really have to read with a grain of salt. I don't trust Phillip Norman at all. Also, these have some sordid stories...

Shout!--Phillip Norman (Norman wrote a horrible attack on George in a newspaper when George died--I hate this guy. However, this was the first biography on the Beatles I ever read, and I enjoyed it. Fans should read it, just carefully.)

The Love You Make: An Insider's Story--Peter Brown with Steven Gaines (Peter Brown started as director of NEMS and was close to the Beatles throughout their career. He duped Paul, Linda, George, Ringo, Neil Aspinall, Maureen, Pattie, Alex Mardas, Cynthia Lennon, Derek Taylor and soooo many more into giving lengthy interviews to him for this book. They didn't know how he would use the information. I think everyone felt betrayed when it came out. I've read it more than once, and I didn't love them one bit less, but it's not for the faint of heart. Be prepared.)

Readers have to always remember that the biography is an imperfect science. We have to recognize that these books may or may not contain false information. The writers may have an agenda of some sort. So, please be careful and mindful of these things as you read these books.
Use your critical thinking skills!
child of nature is offline   Reply With Quote