BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Mar 18, 2015, 09:53 AM   #21
zipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by watching the wheels go by View Post

The first word böwakawa SHOULD be spelled: bäwakawa this means, in Swahili "beetles"

The first word isn't a challenge. It's french. It means (when a noun is in front of it as in this case) pushed

So. It means: beetles pushed.

In which case poussé should have an s at the end if it's a plural, thus 'poussés'.

It would be pronounced the same way.

But what are pushed beetles ?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:40 AM   #22
hibgal
Sun King

Doesn't poussé also mean probing or searching?

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:01 PM   #23
watching the wheels go by
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Lol, I don't speak French... But a friend of mine speaks Swahili and recognized the first word right away. Of course, it means beetles as in the bug, not the band.., but..

I have a hard time believing that the words mystically came to him when the first word means beetle,.. IMHO. :-)
watching the wheels go by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:02 PM   #24
watching the wheels go by
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp View Post
In which case poussé should have an s at the end if it's a plural, thus 'poussés'.

It would be pronounced the same way.

But what are pushed beetles ?
No idea what he was trying convey... But when a friend of mine who speaks Swahili was in the car with me and heard it, he recognized the word.l. I thought it was ironic so I thought I'd share
watching the wheels go by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2015, 02:52 PM   #25
zipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
The verb pousser has two main meanings : to push or to grow.

If we assume that we are dealing with swahili beetles and that our 'poussés' is a plural adjective then we get 'pushed beetles' or 'grown beetles'.

A secondary, or derivative meaning of pousser is, as you suggest, to push further, to advance, to go into detail. This meaning could be used with an idea or an enquiry or an investigation for example but doesn't go very well with beetles.

Now in French the end of a word is not pronounced. Whoever wrote down the lyrics may have got it wrong.

Here are the different ways of writing what we hear :

pousser
poussé
poussée
poussés
poussées
poussez

The last one is interesting since it's not an adjective but an order.
This would then give us 'Beetles!Push!Push!' or 'Beetles!Grow!Grow!'.
It's also what you say to a woman about to give birth : 'Poussez, Madame'.

To be really complete, poussée is also a noun. It means a thrust or a push or a surge.So we could have a composite noun meaning 'thrust-thrust-beetles'.I'm not sure what they would look like and I don't think I want to know!

Last edited by zipp : Mar 19, 2015 at 02:53 PM.
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2015, 07:12 PM   #26
hibgal
Sun King

Well, frankly, it may well be that somebody said (pure spec here) that Beatles was Bäwakawa in Swahili, then intentionally misspelling ä as ö, just as the band name has ea instead of ee. And the p word spelt in French to elude censorship.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2015, 02:35 AM   #27
zipp

So you're suggesting it means 'Beatles pussy' ?

Sounds weird to me.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 07:40 AM   #28
Winston O' Boogie
Day Tripper

In this podcast episode of LENNONNYC : Beyond Broadcast I believe Roy Cicala the engineer on Walls and Bridges sheds light on what Lennon intended to say with the song lyric ... the results and not what one would expect

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmast...y-cicala/1660/
Winston O' Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 AM   #29
zipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston O' Boogie View Post
In this podcast episode of LENNONNYC : Beyond Broadcast I believe Roy Cicala the engineer on Walls and Bridges sheds light on what Lennon intended to say with the song lyric ... the results and not what one would expect

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmast...y-cicala/1660/
OK I've listened and this confirms that John originally sang 'pussy' but Roy Cicala says his ex-wife suggested he sang as if it was French.

A shame he doesn't explain böwakawa! Goodness knows what that replaced!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 07:18 PM   #30
Winston O' Boogie
Day Tripper

Quote:
OK I've listened and this confirms that John originally sang 'pussy' but Roy Cicala says his ex-wife suggested he sang as if it was French.

A shame he doesn't explain böwakawa! Goodness knows what that replaced!
Here is another explanation from a forum post at Steve Hoffman Music Forum:

In a weird synchronicity...there are two threads here tonight one on songs with "Sha La La" in them & one on the meaning of John Lennon's #9 Dream chorus- "Ah! bowakawa pousse' pousse'"
Well, here we go...when I was living in NYC ('94-'00) I deeply immersed myself in your basic do it yourself basement Shamanism...the mantra I made up was to evoke Love & Magic & it was "Sha La La, Ah Bowakawa Pousee Pousee; Ah Bowakawa Pousee Pousee Sha La La", or if you prefer "Ah Bowakawa Pousee Pousee, Sha La La; Sha La La, Ah Bowakawa Pousee Pousee".
The Sha La La was meant to evoke Love, as it's been used in so many songs as something so jubilant & joyful, and the Lennon phrase because it came to him in a dream, but I had heard, though he didn't know this, that it was an incantation & I used that to invoke Magic.
Well I became friends with a non-native New Yorker, from which country in Africa I sadly can't recall the detail of, & when we were talking about mysticism one day I happened to tell him about the incantation/mantra I'd made up. His eyes got huge & he exclaimed, "How in the world do you know about 'Ah Bowakawa Pousee Pousee'?!?!". I explained it was from a John Lennon song, & while he didn't elaborate a whole lot (he was fairly busy that day with customers) he confirmed that it was most certainly a phrase used in some non-Western, non-White (meaning race, not White vs. Black Magic) form of Mysticism/Shamanism. He used to call me by that name, as in "Hey 'Ah Bowakawa Pousee Pousee'!!", and get this huge grin on his face when he did so. He was very surprised & amused that any White New Yorker would have had any contact with this.
It came to Lennon in a dream, but it was a very Mystical dream, & I wish I could recall all the details (maybe I'll look it up again someday), but he said he thought it was just a nice sounding phrase. I think it was a Magical phrase that was delivered to him. "#9 Dream" cracked the top ten (made it to #9 actually) & put a Magical incantation out across the airwaves (which I believe is VERY powerful medicine for the world), just as he might have done in the 60's had "Across The Universe" ever become the hit single it should have been with "Jai Guru Deva Om".

The mystery just got a little more twisted
Winston O' Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2015, 04:43 AM   #31
GenX23
Fool On The Hill

Hello Everyone! Brand Spankin' New Member here making her first post. So strange how I came across this thread, I literally woke up today thinking about the first song I recorded off the radio (anyone here remember doing that?) when I was a wee thing & it was No. 9 Dream. An online lyrics quest lead me straight here & since this is a recent thread I felt it was meant to be for me to chime in!

I think WTWGB & Zipp pretty much nailed it: The mysterious lyrics are "Ah Beatles, Grow! Grow!" That translation makes the most sense to me whether John was honestly trying to recall the dream phonetically or whether he was putting in an affectionate "poke" to his former band mates. Out of all the possible translations, doesn't it make the most sense to you?

Last edited by GenX23 : Mar 27, 2015 at 04:50 AM.
GenX23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2015, 08:52 AM   #32
zipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX23 View Post
I think WTWGB & Zipp pretty much nailed it: The mysterious lyrics are "Ah Beatles, Grow! Grow!" That translation makes the most sense to me whether John was honestly trying to recall the dream phonetically or whether he was putting in an affectionate "poke" to his former band mates. Out of all the possible translations, doesn't it make the most sense to you?
Welcome to the board !

I don't think much of this makes any sense at all but we seem to be getting a lot of references to Africa and pussy. Make of that what you will !
Old Mar 28, 2015, 06:26 AM   #33
GenX23
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Welcome to the board !

I don't think much of this makes any sense at all but we seem to be getting a lot of references to Africa and pussy. Make of that what you will !
Well, considering John was recalling the words from a dream, I think he was trying to remember phonetically so it just may be that his ex-wife's more politically correct suggestion turned out what the "spirits" in the dream were actually saying!

"Beatles Grow, Grow" certainly has more import & makes more sense than the mind-in-the-gutter translation.
GenX23 is offline   Reply With Quote