BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Beatles For Sale

Old Mar 22, 2014, 09:50 AM   #1
Bongo
Nowhere Man

Default Looking for original UK LPs, any advice????

After buying the 2012 re-release UK LP's, I've decided to buy the real mcCoys!

Any advice, as I see tons on Ebay????

Last edited by Bongo : Mar 22, 2014 at 09:51 AM.
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:20 AM   #2
Bongo
Nowhere Man

Question

Anyone???

Should I buy the Originals in Stereo or Mono?

what's your take on it?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 09:53 AM   #3
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

The stereo versions of the early albums are rarer as fewer were pressed. Mono versions get pricey right around Rubber Soul. They seem to be more collectible and desirable. The White album is very collectible in mono, though I actually prefer the stereo version. Nice copies of TWA go for hundreds. I collected all the mono versions available, I'm embarrassed to say how much I've spent. First pressings are the most desirable. Familiarize yourself w the matrix numbers. That will tell you exactly what you're getting.
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Bongo
Nowhere Man

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
The stereo versions of the early albums are rarer as fewer were pressed. Mono versions get pricey right around Rubber Soul. They seem to be more collectible and desirable. The White album is very collectible in mono, though I actually prefer the stereo version. Nice copies of TWA go for hundreds. I collected all the mono versions available, I'm embarrassed to say how much I've spent. First pressings are the most desirable. Familiarize yourself w the matrix numbers. That will tell you exactly what you're getting.
Txs for the great write-up

That's what I've noticed since doing my homework, and like you I expect to be spending more than I'd like to.

But if you really think about, what we spend on re-issues, anniversary sets, box sets, CD box sets, at least this way we are getting the real (original) thing.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:43 AM   #5
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Just using the White Album as an example; I bought it as a kid on vinyl. I later bought it in the cassette format. Later I bought it in the new CD format. Then there was a 30th anniversary CD re-issue. So then I decided to go back to collecting vinyl, so I bought a new copy. Then I had to have an original mono copy. Then came the remasters. I bought both the stereo and mono box sets in CD. And finally came the vinyl remasters. Had to have that set. Oh, and somewhere in there there was a white colored vinyl issue that I had to have. And inevitably there will be a mono vinyl remaster. And guess who'll buy it. I haven't bought every album this many times. But almost.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:07 AM   #6
Winston O' Boogie
Day Tripper

The German release on vinyl is vastly superior to any edition on vinyl.

"German DMM pressing are considered by many to be the best-sounding versions of the album. This is due to the use of the famed Neumann lathe on the 1978 export pressing and the use of the DMM process on the 1985 pressing."

Last edited by Winston O' Boogie : Mar 24, 2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: text errors
Winston O' Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:41 PM   #7
Bongo
Nowhere Man

Thumbs up I love the Monkees!

Quote:
Just using the White Album as an example; I bought it as a kid on vinyl. I later bought it in the cassette format. Later I bought it in the new CD format. Then there was a 30th anniversary CD re-issue. So then I decided to go back to collecting vinyl, so I bought a new copy. Then I had to have an original mono copy. Then came the remasters. I bought both the stereo and mono box sets in CD. And finally came the vinyl remasters. Had to have that set. Oh, and somewhere in there there was a white colored vinyl issue that I had to have. And inevitably there will be a mono vinyl remaster. And guess who'll buy it. I haven't bought every album this many times. But almost.
And I'm just realizing it now how much I've spent on those damn bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston O' Boogie View Post
"German DMM pressing are considered by many to be the best-sounding versions of the album. This is due to the use of the famed Neumann lathe on the 1978 export pressing and the use of the DMM process on the 1985 pressing."
I guess if your a fan of phonograph, it would be worth it, but it's funny how re-issues are costing more than Original LP's. They make them in limited numbers, to suck us in!

Man they got us hooked!!!!!!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

These albums sold in the millions. There's no reasonable explanation as to why they are so pricey. But they are. And people pay it. I am speaking of the UK versions. The US Capitol versions remain fairly reasonable. I will add that if you have a good sound system, there's no better way to hear these albums than in glorious analog vinyl.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:36 AM   #9
Bongo
Nowhere Man

Quote:
I will add that if you have a good sound system, there's no better way to hear these albums than in glorious analog vinyl.
Damn, your talking me into buying a phonograph player again, which I haven't owned since shortly after the CD player first came out!

And NO, I am not going to buy another CD player.....