BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old May 14, 2003, 09:39 PM   #1
shyGirl
Sun King

Default Magical Mystery: Was this John Lennon\'s guitar?

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/515johnguitar.html

Imagine moving into John Lennon's home and finding a guitar in the loft!

A solid Dallas Tuxedo guitar, found in the loft at Mendips - Johnıs childhood home - goes on display at The Beatles Story from Friday 16 May. Why was it abandoned in the loft? Where did it come from? Could this have been Johnıs guitar?

Research so far has revealed that the guitar came to light * quite literally * in 1996 when builders found a few items gathering dust in the loft at 251 Menlove Avenue (known as Mendips and now owned by The National Trust). Ernest Burkey had lived there since the late 1960s unaware when he moved in that the house had a Beatles connection. Not being a fan himself he had not explored the loft, and in fact was often outspoken to the local press about the unwanted attention his home received from the fans. Even Yoko Ono could only see the house from the street!

In the same year, guitarist Johnny Byrne (who was very ill at the time all this happened) asked Alan Stratton to see whether his uncle, Ernest Burkey, would allow his friend Larry Wassgren into his home (Larry, a Beatles expert and collector of early Beatles memorabilia, was visiting from the USA). Alan duly approached his uncle Ernest, and Mendips' doors were opened to the privileged guests. Larry could not believe his luck when Ernest produced the guitar and two banjo magazines and gave them to him saying "You like The Beatles * you'd better have these". Overwhelmed at the gesture, Larry declared that Alan should have the guitar.

Since that momentous day, both Alan and Larry have been searching for confirmation that the guitar did, in fact, belong to John Lennon. There is no written or photographic evidence to support this theory, although they both remain utterly convinced that there must be a demonstrable connection to John.

Alan Stratton, just returned from meeting again with Larry Wassgren in the USA, says "This Dallas Tuxedo guitar was the first electric solid guitar produced in England. I feel very proud that I can be instrumental in bringing the guitar back to the people of Liverpool and indeed fans from all over the world as this is potentially a significant piece of Beatles history. I think that John would be pleased - and Yoko too. It's far better that the guitar is on display at The Beatles Story than in my kitchen!"

The Beatles Story curator, Sandra Quayle, is also intrigued by this magical mystery, and wants to widen the research: "By exhibiting the guitar, we hope to open up new avenues for an answer to the question - was this John Lennonıs guitar?". The probability cannot be ruled out that it was. If you have any real knowledge of this Dallas Tuxedo guitar, visit the website www.beatlesstory.com where you will find all the details currently on file - maybe you can help fill in the gap. Serious responses only please. Any information leading to confirmation of the guitar's provenance will be appropriately acknowledged.

Editorıs Notes: Ernest Burkey told his captive audience (Alan and Larry) that builders had recently carried out some work in the loft and had discovered a few items gathering dust up there: a Dallas Tuxedo guitar dating back to the late 1950s and two banjo magazines.

Although the two banjo magazines, dated 1939 and 1941, almost certainly were Julia Lennonıs (Johnıs mother), as it was she who showed John the basic skills on the banjo, no definite link between John and the guitar has as yet been uncovered Ernest Burkey was a stonemason * in fact, he carved Brian Epstein's headstone, and that of Mr Epstein senior. Johnny 'guitar' Byrne played with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes.

The Beatles Story, Albert Dock, Liverpool: The award winning Beatles Story is the ultimate tribute to Liverpoolıs most famous sons John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr. The magical history tour passes through the cobbled streets of Hamburg, Mathew Street, home of the Cavern Club, through the madness of Beatlemania, flower power to the eventual break up of the group.

Recent acquisitions include:
Lennonıs 'Den' "No one I think is in my tree I mean it must be high or low" from Strawberry Fields Forever. Part of John's tree house is also on display at The Beatles Story. In the elm tree in Mendips' back garden was John's 'den' - he loved the seclusion of his 'tree house' and would spend many hours there dreaming, drawing and writing poetry. Sadly the tree had to be cut down in 1979, but a board from John's 'den' was salvaged by Alan Stratton, who has loaned it to The Beatles Story.

George Harrison's First-Ever Guitar: George Harrisonıs first-ever guitar, valued at half a million pounds, is on display for the first time in the UK. This has been made possible by the generosity of the private UK collector who recently purchased the guitar - determined to bring it back to its rightful home of Liverpool.

John Lennon's Orange-Tinted Glasses: Recently donated to The Beatles Story, these legendary, orange-tinted round spectacles are today valued at over £1million - making them the most significant spectacles in the world. They were a central part of the Lennon image from 1970-1973.

John Lennonıs Imagine Jacket: Liverpool actor Jack Marsden has loaned John Lennonıs black velvet jacket to The Beatles Story - the jacket Lennon wore on the Imagine film. The jacket, currently insured for £250,000, is displayed in a glass case in the ŒWhite Roomı - where Imagine plays in the background.

The Quarrymen & Skiffle exhibition: Some of the original Quarrymen instruments are featured, including a banjo played by John Lennon.

The Beatles Story Open seven days a week (except Christmas and Boxing Days). 10.00am - 6.00pm. Free car and coach park in Albert Dock. The Beatles Story, Britannia Pavilion, Albert Dock, Liverpool L3 4AA
shyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 04:13 AM   #2
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9
Default Re: Magical Mystery: Was this John Lennon\'s guitar?

Wow. That's cool. The chances are high that it probably is John's guitar. I would've liked to find something like that...
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 07:37 AM   #3
LuvLennon
Wild Honey Pie

Imagine living in such a historic home and not even taking the time to poke around the attic! What an interesting find!
LuvLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 06:59 PM   #4
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4

Too bad there isn't a picture...they'd be more likely to get a response that way, anyway.

I think it's cool that John had a tree house, too. I never knew about that. Anyone have a picture of it?

-lennon4
lennon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 07:44 PM   #5
shyGirl
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By lennon4:
Too bad there isn't a picture...they'd be more likely to get a response that way, anyway.
-lennon4
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Ask and you shall receive. I found a pic of the guitar.

shyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 08:27 PM   #6

Let's review this, shall we? There are two big contradictions.

Quote:

). Ernest Burkey had lived there since the late 1960s unaware when he moved in that the house had a Beatles connection. Not being a fan himself he had not explored the loft, and in fact was often outspoken to the local press about the unwanted attention his home received from the fans. Even Yoko Ono could only see the house from the street!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">How could he be unaware of the Beatles connection while at the same time talking to the press about the unwanted attention? It can either be one or the other.
Old May 16, 2003, 09:06 AM   #7
jtal909
Sun King

Why that no good......

[img]graemlins/wink3.gif[/img]
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 08:52 PM   #8
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted By shyGirl:
Ask and you shall receive.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Hey, thanks! I'll have to do that more often. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-lennon4
Old May 17, 2003, 09:44 AM   #9
Lynner

Quote:
Originally Posted By walrusegg:
Let's review this, shall we? There are two big contradictions.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">

). Ernest Burkey had lived there since the late 1960s unaware when he moved in that the house had a Beatles connection. Not being a fan himself he had not explored the loft, and in fact was often outspoken to the local press about the unwanted attention his home received from the fans. Even Yoko Ono could only see the house from the street!

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">How could he be unaware of the Beatles connection while at the same time talking to the press about the unwanted attention? It can either be one or the other.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">My guess is that he was unaware of the connection when he bought the house. I would guess it was brought to his attention soon after that.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2003, 10:02 AM   #10
Sgt.McCartney
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to Sgt.McCartney

Whoa. You know how cool that would be just to find sitting up in the attic? Thanks for the awesome story, shyGirl.
Sgt.McCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2003, 10:07 AM   #11
Jongo McHarrison
Nowhere Man

I was in Liverpool a few days ago and the article I read in the local paper has an additional comment from the owner of the house. Buckley said that between the time John moved out and he moved in, there was no one who lived at the house that could've brought the guitar in. I can't remember the exact wording, but it seems to give credence to the idea that the guitar was John's.

LuvLennon's comment reminds me of The Simpson's episode with the carny displaying Hitler's car. "Some people say that Der Furher's body is in the trunk. Now I'm a busy man myself so I haven't checked".

Speaking of The Beatles Story, can anyone tell me if the instruments on display are those that were used by the Quarry Men in that famous 1957 Woolton Fete photo or are they just replicas? ie. is the washboard the one used by Pete Shotton for instance (or did John smash that over his head)?
Jongo McHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2003, 12:24 PM   #12
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jongo McHarrison:
Speaking of The Beatles Story, can anyone tell me if the instruments on display are those that were used by the Quarry Men in that famous 1957 Woolton Fete photo or are they just replicas?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I'm not sure about the instruments, but I know a lot of the clothing, etc, are replicas. The website probably will tell you, too.

-lennon4