BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

View Poll Results: Was John LOST or FOUND during his "Lost Weekend"
Lost. His songs attempted to mask his depression and loneliness 2 14.29%
Found. He was EVERYWHERE and his art was at an all-time high 1 7.14%
REALLY lost: prolific boozehound with a penchant for self-promotion (good and bad) 1 7.14%
REALLY found. Despite all posthumous criticisms, he seemed happy, creative & enjoying life 4 28.57%
In limbo. He needed this time to become the man he would later become 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:28 PM   #21
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

I voted for "In Limbo", and before I looked at the actual totals. I see that option is leading the pack! I do think John needed a break from his routine to get his creativity jump-statred. Whether or not the way he did it was the best, that's debatable. I think he could have taken a well-needed rest without all the controversy and questionable practices. But, when you are having something of a nervous breakdown...and I think he was...being rational is the last thing on your mind. We all do spontaneous and careless things from time to time, and sometimes they have a way of working out for the best. I think certainly they did for John after his bender. But, it always comes at a cost. Steely Dan said: You know you'll have to pay it all...You'll pay today or pay tomorrow John and his loved ones paid a heavy price for his "lost weekend", but he left the world some unforgettable gems in return.
4iiiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:37 PM   #22
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4iiiis View Post
But, when you are having something of a nervous breakdown...and I think he was...being rational is the last thing on your mind.
Yes, I pretty much agree on this point... which is why I think he was lost. To me, the Dakota Years after the Lost Weekend was the well-needed rest you speak of.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:16 AM   #23
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Question What price ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4iiiis;1107390 But, it always comes at a cost. Steely Dan said: [i
You know you'll have to pay it all...You'll pay today or pay tomorrow[/i] John and his loved ones paid a heavy price for his "lost weekend", but he left the world some unforgettable gems in return.
So what was the "heavy price" John and his loved ones had to pay for the lost weekend; what do you mean ? Julian didn't pay anything; he had the chance to meet his dad at least.

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:48 PM   #24
hibgal
Sun King

Yeah, I like to know the answer to that too, 4iiiis. I can see the drugs and booze taking it's toll on JOHN but who are the "loved ones" that paid? It was Yoko's idea so I can't see what she has to complain about! Sean wasn't born yet and, as Snoopy said, it was to the good for Julian.

I think John had it up to here with togetherness and Yoko cutting him off from his musical colleagues and she did, plenty of evidence about that, so no need to elaborate the point. Musically the Lost Weekend was a revival for John but the excessive lifestyle nearly killed him. To me it was a watershed for John and he had to chose between his musical creativity plus drugs and Yoko with sobriety. I know the possibility of dying from a drug or alcohol overdose scared John very much (he's said so himself) and no doubt that contributed to him finally choosing Yoko. The ONLY way he could live with that choice was to withdraw from the music world altogether. I don't see the period following the Lost Weekend as a rest period. THAT was when John was in limbo, NOT when in California.

Personally, I think Yoko forced a choice on John he shouldn't have been asked to make. As an artist (although not musician) I know what it's like to be denied an outlet for your creativity. It's not truly living: it's just existing. To be fulfilled as a person John NEEDED his music and writing. Life with Yoko denied him that unless it was together with her. How restrictive, how selfish, how cruel.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:12 PM   #25
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I was torn between "lost" and "in limbo." John, from all accounts WAS depressed during this "Lost Weekend" and he acted a fool; wrote songs reflecting his naked emotions and rode it out until Yoko was ready to take him back.

I also think John was in an earthly limbo as he needed the time and maturation to become the even more creative artist, man and personality that he was.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote