BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products



Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

View Poll Results: Was John LOST or FOUND during his "Lost Weekend"
Lost. His songs attempted to mask his depression and loneliness 2 14.29%
Found. He was EVERYWHERE and his art was at an all-time high 1 7.14%
REALLY lost: prolific boozehound with a penchant for self-promotion (good and bad) 1 7.14%
REALLY found. Despite all posthumous criticisms, he seemed happy, creative & enjoying life 4 28.57%
In limbo. He needed this time to become the man he would later become 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:33 AM   #1
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight
 
4iiiis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 22, 2011
Location: Off the Walls & Over the Bridges
Posts: 946
Talking 'Lost Weekend' John

I had to create this see what some had to say. A few friends I know consider John's Lost Weekend period to be one of his most creative and exciting. However, it was also a period where he was making headlines for acting like a college frat boy on too many benders.I want to know what you have to say about John's creative heights during this period.
4iiiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:46 AM   #2
misfittoy
Dr. Robert
 
misfittoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2011
Posts: 1,074
Default

To be honest, I think there was an element of all these things during that period.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:59 AM   #3
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight
 
4iiiis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 22, 2011
Location: Off the Walls & Over the Bridges
Posts: 946
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
To be honest, I think there was an element of all these things during that period.
But you gotta vote for one!
4iiiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer
 
Snoopy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 11, 2009
Posts: 2,501

Post My vote

I voted for "found", though I'm aware that the Lost weekend had also dark sides. First, I hesitated with "he needed that period for the man he would become"; my opinion is a mix of those both statements. Thus, I mostly judge his musical achievements then, that's why I voted for "found"

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:05 PM   #5
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe
 
ringo_rama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 08, 2003
Posts: 3,114
Default

I've made the point before that I think John downplayed any positivity about the period out of obligation to Yoko. Obviously it wasn't free from emotionally and physically draining events but I think he felt a need to convince everyone--himself included--that it was a drag. I mean, I can't blame him--it's hard to imagine anyone sitting next to his wife, doing an interview for Playboy, and saying, "Man, that time when we were separated was a blast!"

I honestly believe that, had John lived, he would've eventually come around to admit that it wasn't as bad as he made it sound. He hung out with friends all the time. He was at one of his greatest creative peaks. His promotional push for Walls & Bridges has to be one of, if not the most genuinely and consistently fun period(s) of his public life.

But I also think that it was an adventure he was ready to move past once it was over. It may have lasted a few months too long.
__________________
I am the new way to go. I am the way of the future.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Apple Scruff
Sun King
 
Apple Scruff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 10, 2002
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 10,536

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
I've made the point before that I think John downplayed any positivity about the period out of obligation to Yoko. Obviously it wasn't free from emotionally and physically draining events but I think he felt a need to convince everyone--himself included--that it was a drag. I mean, I can't blame him--it's hard to imagine anyone sitting next to his wife, doing an interview for Playboy, and saying, "Man, that time when we were separated was a blast!"
I agree with this ringo. I think John felt guilty because he did have his cake and eat it to during this period. I mean, he was partying with his high-profile buddies, scoring top hits, making sick music. No doubt the circumstances that preceded the 'Lost Weekend,' which were the catalyst for John and Yoko's separation, may have been weighing heavy on John's mind for some time. In order to give his wife her dues, he felt the need to play it down. Not only that, he had become quite public with May during that period. All to Yoko's knowledge. To say, "Oh it was a grand time!" may have been the hardest slap to her face.

I understand what John was doing here, and I can respect it.

Quote:
I honestly believe that, had John lived, he would've eventually come around to admit that it wasn't as bad as he made it sound. He hung out with friends all the time. He was at one of his greatest creative peaks. His promotional push for Walls & Bridges has to be one of, if not the most genuinely and consistently fun period(s) of his public life.

But I also think that it was an adventure he was ready to move past once it was over. It may have lasted a few months too long.
This. All of it.
__________________
"Let me live in you..." ~ John Lennon
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Apple Scruff
Sun King
 
Apple Scruff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 10, 2002
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 10,536

Default

I really love the in limbo option. I guess I interpret it as John was sort of teetering between that wild side and the mature side. He needed that 'Lost Weekend' period. I love his own description where he said that he had never really been single. It was his time to get all the demons out- well, as many that he could for him- and realize that he didn't want to be that person.

To me, the 'Lost Weekend' was an incredibly vital period for John. He realized how much he wanted/needed to be with Yoko. He was finally ready to embrace maturity- to be a proper husband and father.

I honestly feel that the moment John held Sean in his arms...well, that may have been the exact moment he really did begin his transition into the mature, wise sage he would develop into.
__________________
"Let me live in you..." ~ John Lennon
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Maia 66
Sun King
 
Join Date: Sep 09, 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,360

Default

I voted for the first one... LOST. But I don't think his songs masked his depression and loneliness; I think they reflected his depression and loneliness.

imo, John was really scared during that time because it threw him for a loop when Yoko refused to put up with his BS. Having May by his side kept him from going too far afield... plus, I think it helped that Ringo was around a lot. BUT... even though there was a good deal of creativity during the period, the songs on Walls and Bridges seem to be tinged with a sadness that some of John's mid-Beatles "trough" period songs had.

I just don't feel like John was all, "Woo-hoo! I'm a bachelor and havin' a blast!" John was a man who needed deep connections with people... Stu, Paul, Yoko. Devoid of those connections, he resorted to drinking and partying, but I don't think those things were enjoyable to him... those were the ways he masked his depression and loneliness. When he decided all the L.A. nonsense was not fulfilling and he reined in his drinking, THAT was when he started writing and recording W&B, THAT was when he was ready to stop masking and start expressing what he was feeling.
__________________

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...


Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:40 AM   #9
misfittoy
Dr. Robert
 
misfittoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2011
Posts: 1,074
Default

yeah, but most of John's friends say they had better connections with him during that period then before and after with Yoko controlling everything.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:08 AM   #10
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer
 
Snoopy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 11, 2009
Posts: 2,501

Thumbs up Good point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
yeah, but most of John's friends say they had better connections with him during that period then before and after with Yoko controlling everything.
Absolutely

... and not only with his friends and former band-mates, but also with his first son Julian

"Yoko and controlling" sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble"... sorry, I changed a bit the lyrics of "Michelle"

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:31 AM   #11
Apple Scruff
Sun King
 
Apple Scruff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 10, 2002
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 10,536

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
yeah, but most of John's friends say they had better connections with him during that period then before and after with Yoko controlling everything.
I'm breaking out with my theory on this...

I think that these "friends"- for the most part- weren't really friends as much as pals that John got high and/or drunk with. He wasn't emotionally attached, and he knew what that association was doing to his life, health (both mental and physical), and overall quest to grow from within. I think John was happy to shed the craziness for some calm, and even if that calm was making him a tad stir-crazy at times- he needed it.

Going on all-night benders with Nilsson or snorting coke with Keef wasn't helping John in the way he needed it. It was amazing that he got back with his wife and then Sean was conceived. I truly believe John had no issue with Yoko taking the reigns when necessary to aid him in his tendency to go to extremes in ways that could damage his health. He didn't mind her playing bad cop. And she obviously loved doing it.
__________________
"Let me live in you..." ~ John Lennon
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:53 AM   #12
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer
 
Snoopy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 11, 2009
Posts: 2,501

Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
I'm breaking out with my theory on this...
Going on all-night benders with Nilsson or snorting coke with Keef wasn't helping John in the way he needed it. It was amazing that he got back with his wife and then Sean was conceived. I truly believe John had no issue with Yoko taking the reigns when necessary to aid him in his tendency to go to extremes in ways that could damage his health. He didn't mind her playing bad cop. And she obviously loved doing it.
Of course, it's true that there were some "true" friends and so-called friends who did John no good with just drinking around with him. Yes, John had the tendency to go to extremes and this behaviour could damage his health; he drifted in some dangerous fields then. This weakness of him, was the strength of Yoko and the main reason that he went back to her. I'm afraid that May was just too young and not enough experienced to hold him back.

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:56 AM   #13
Maia 66
Sun King
 
Join Date: Sep 09, 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,360

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
yeah, but most of John's friends say they had better connections with him during that period then before and after with Yoko controlling everything.
They had better connections with him, but what John needed was a deep connection with that one someone special, that soul partner (his Stu or his Paul or his Yoko)... which he did NOT have. (Nilsson, Ringo, Keith Moon, etc. did not fill that role.) That is what I meant.
__________________

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...


Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:30 PM   #14
hibgal
Sun King
 
hibgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 01, 2006
Posts: 26,650



Default The wherefore and why's

Before we can make sense of this period in John's life we need to determine why it happened. Yoko was fed up and kicked him out, oe so she has said. Okay, but WHY did she take such a drastic step? What was she fed up with? His infidelity? Emotional dependability? Jealousy? Something else? 'Soul mates' don't separate for no reason.

And he has said that he truly enjoyed the first six months or so. "Yipee! I'm a free bachelor again" type. Since he also has called Yoko his muse and guru, why did he need to be free from her? 'Soul mates' usually prefer to be miserable together rather than happy apart. So what gives?
__________________



Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:13 PM   #15
constance
Nowhere Man
 
Join Date: Aug 30, 2011
Posts: 210
Default

Wasn't his drinking an issue? I thought that Yoko did not want him to drink at all, as he had trouble with alcohol, to put it mildly. And he wanted to do as he pleased, at least for a while. The whole thing seems exactly like a "lost weekend" to me, only much longer. Lots of spouses have temporary splits where one or both "act out" for a period of time, affairs, drugs, whatever, but then resume their relationship.
constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:34 PM   #16
Johnsickofit
Fool On The Hill
 
Join Date: Apr 21, 2011
Posts: 11
Default

Well put.
Johnsickofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:35 PM   #17
Johnsickofit
Fool On The Hill
 
Join Date: Apr 21, 2011
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
I voted for the first one... LOST. But I don't think his songs masked his depression and loneliness; I think they reflected his depression and loneliness.

imo, John was really scared during that time because it threw him for a loop when Yoko refused to put up with his BS. Having May by his side kept him from going too far afield... plus, I think it helped that Ringo was around a lot. BUT... even though there was a good deal of creativity during the period, the songs on Walls and Bridges seem to be tinged with a sadness that some of John's mid-Beatles "trough" period songs had.

I just don't feel like John was all, "Woo-hoo! I'm a bachelor and havin' a blast!" John was a man who needed deep connections with people... Stu, Paul, Yoko. Devoid of those connections, he resorted to drinking and partying, but I don't think those things were enjoyable to him... those were the ways he masked his depression and loneliness. When he decided all the L.A. nonsense was not fulfilling and he reined in his drinking, THAT was when he started writing and recording W&B, THAT was when he was ready to stop masking and start expressing what he was feeling.

Well put.
Johnsickofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:46 PM   #18
Apple Scruff
Sun King
 
Apple Scruff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 10, 2002
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 10,536

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Since he also has called Yoko his muse and guru, why did he need to be free from her? 'Soul mates' usually prefer to be miserable together rather than happy apart. So what gives?
It was probably a combination of a number of things that was making it very difficult for them to stay together at that point:

1. The aftermath of the "John and Yoko" us-against-the-world-closeness. They were with each other so much, practically 24/7, that it no doubt became too much.

2. Yoko's resentfulness regarding her own career. I do believe she felt she had put her artistic endeavors on back-burner, in a sense, to become "Mrs. Lennon" and wasn't prepared for just how huge John's celebrity- and her backlash- would escalate.

3. John was probably overwhelmed with having to protect and defend his love over and over again. It became almost a chore/burden to make people see that he loved this woman and she was who he was with. The hatred, racism, cruelty she was subjected to was completely uncalled for. I imagine John was stunned and hurt in more ways than we can think of.

4. John's possessiveness/jealousy/insecurity, etc. probably got on Yoko's nerves.

5. Oh yeah...and John kind of, uh, banged that one chick in the other room, audibly, while Yoko sat outside trying to make small talk while, no doubt, deeply hurt.
__________________
"Let me live in you..." ~ John Lennon
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:41 PM   #19
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer
 
Snoopy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 11, 2009
Posts: 2,501

Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
4. John's possessiveness/jealousy/insecurity, etc. probably got on Yoko's nerves.
Oh, really... ? Poor Yoko

... and those were probably also the reasons why she cheated on him in the late 70's.

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:45 PM   #20
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer
 
Snoopy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 11, 2009
Posts: 2,501

Thumbs up Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Oh yeah...and John kind of, uh, banged that one chick in the other room, audibly, while Yoko sat outside trying to make small talk while, no doubt, deeply hurt.
I always suspected that this was the real reason, why Yoko kicked him out, besides the several miscarriages.

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found this article on John...it's extremely sad, but... Fly Menlove Avenue 35 Feb 22, 2012 11:16 PM
Question about Cyn's book JOHN LucyLennon4me Menlove Avenue 28 Sep 26, 2006 03:04 AM
My love for 'lost' Lennon I am the Paulrus Menlove Avenue 6 Apr 06, 2005 02:49 PM
Highlights of May Pang interview reveal new insights into John and Yoko beatlesfan2 I Read The News Today 2 Mar 05, 2005 07:55 AM
John's "Lost Weekend" ImaginePeace78 Menlove Avenue 28 Jun 28, 2001 06:55 PM


Advertisements

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Site Features
Search Links

  Advanced Search
Category Jump



BeatleMail

FREE E-MAIL
@ BEATLEMAIL.COM


Username


Password




New User Sign-Up!
Lost Password?
Beatles History




Donate
The costs of running our database and discussion forum are steadily rising. Any help we receive is greatly appreciated. Click HERE for more information about donating to BeatleLinks.
Extras
» Chat Room
» Current News
» Monthly Contest
» Interviews Database
» Random Site
» Banner Exchange
» F.A.Q.
» Advertise
» Credits
» Legal
» Contact Us
Copyright © 2000-2022 BeatleLinks
All Rights Reserved