BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Jan 13, 2003, 10:56 AM   #1
Magill
Sun King

Default "Fat Elvis" Period

We've all heard of this from John himself, because of his depression. This must've been the mid-sixties Rubber Soul era of he's referring. Personally, I liked him better with some meat on his bones. Compared to the others, it made him look more masculine, for some reason, in my eyes. I didn't really see it as fat but as being a bit muscular. Yes, I do realize it was fat, but it really doesn't look like it. I didn't like how think he got towards the end. That was much too thin. What do you all think?
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 11:02 PM   #2
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart
Default Re: "Fat Elvis" Period

I think he looked just fine then, but I too tend not to like really skinny guys. He may have been a little on the chubby side, but I definitely wouldn't have referred to him as "fat". I think it was more of a self-confidence issue than an actual weight problem.
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 11:03 PM   #3
Danoota64
Wild Honey Pie

During the movie Help! (winter/spring 1965) was what he called his Fat Elvis period and how everyone could see how big he was up on the screen.....he also said that song was his cry for help. I preferred him with meat on his beautiful bones, as opposed to how thin he was late in life. But whatever he weighed, he was GORGEOUS. [img]graemlins/wink3.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/peace.gif[/img]
Danoota64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 11:09 PM   #4
Magill
Sun King

I think we'd all take John anyway we could get him. I just think he was being hard on himself. I didn't see any protruding "Elvis" gut action going on. I wonder if the guys gave him a hard time about his weight gain. [img]graemlins/thinker.gif[/img]
BTW, I thought he look just yummy in Help!, especially in the ski and beach scenes. [img]graemlins/eyebrows.gif[/img]
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 11:17 PM   #5
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

One of my very favorite pictures EVER of John was taken during the filming of Help! I thought he was very nice-looking at that time...I also prefer him with a little meat on his bones, as it were...and no way was he EVER really fat! Of course, John was also always his own worst critic, whether it was his weight, his singing voice, or whatever. I think he was feeling very trapped by the whole Beatle thing at the time of Help! and was letting himself go rather more than he usually did, that's all -- but to him, that was out of control and all those other negative things he frequently heaped on himself.

I also think he was TOO thin near the end...he looked good, very chiseled, but seeing full-figure photos of him from that time reinforces how very thin he had gotten from that macrobiotic diet he was on. I can't imagine he'd have sustained that for years and years...most people can't!

But overall -- I'm in agreement with all those who said no matter what he weighed, John was gorgeous! That was one VERY sexy man, no doubt about it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Jan 13, 2003, 12:27 PM: Message Edited By: HMVNipper ][/size]
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 11:25 PM   #6
angelgodiva
Bulldog

The reason John was so insecure about his appearance was just a thoughtless comment made by a reporter. Remember when someone called Karen Carpenter Richard's chubby sister? She ended up developing anorexia.
Well, some woman referred to John as "the fat Beatle", and he was a very sensitive guy, insecure to begin with and carrying a big chip on his shoulder to cover that up. He took it to heart and became obsessed with his weight. He loved sweets, but he would beat himself up mentally for giving in to his sweet tooth. Sometimes he would "behave" and deny himself for a while, then go on a chocolate "bender", which led to all sorts of self-loathing and mental anguish.
I heard that he became bulimic in later life, but I cannot say if this is true.
In any case, I found him very beautiful no matter what he weighed, but I honestly did not think he looked fat, and he didn't feel fat, either. He was quite firm, and he had good muscle tone in his arms. I agree with you, too--he definitely did get too thin later on.
Oh, and I don't know if any of you ever saw it, but there was one picture taken of John in which he really WAS fat-- he probably weighed 200 pounds-- not too long after Elvis died. He went to a "fat farm" and lost it in a few weeks, however.

[size="1"][ Jan 13, 2003, 12:27 PM: Message Edited By: angelgodiva ][/size]
angelgodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 05:56 AM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

John was not fat -- he was slightly stocky and he had a fuller face in those days (Moptop Era - Ford Falcon era) than his bandmates.

Stand him next to ectomorphic, almost gaunt George and he is considerably larger, but he was not an unreasonable size. Sad John had a poor self image - I thought he was so adorable in Help! as many people did.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 01:57 PM   #8
beatlemania5grace
Day Tripper

I was just talking about this a day or two ago with some friends!
But I agree,
Chubby cheeks work extremely well for John (:
(And they where absolutely adorable too!)

I personally think he wouldn't look the least bit aged when Abbey Road came around if he would have kept a bit of chub-chub (:
I do think it made him look tuns older when he lost some weight.

Lucky John!
He looks better with the fat! (if you could call it fat)
Id kill to eat a pound of ice cream, insisting it would make me look better (:

A gang of rogue, militant Beatles fans who will destroy anyone who insults or undermines the work of the group, or any of it's members.
When Sally offended the Beatles Mafia by saying that the Rolling Stones were better, she woke up with Henry The Horse's head on her pillow
-Urban Dictionary
beatlemania5grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 05:13 AM   #9
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

John was pinchably cute, that Cheeky Chief Beatle!

Did John eat pounds of ice cream in those days, 5Grace?

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : May 15, 2008 at 05:13 AM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 02:06 PM   #10
EnchantingLennon
Dr. Robert

I never found John fat at all, skinny maybe, especially during the Yoko years but in 1965 to which John dubbed it the "fat Elvis" year? No. Maybe he felt fat, he did say he was eating like a pig...well remember he was smoking pot! Pot makes you eat (well, it did for me). Even so, he certainly never got as big as Elvis did.
EnchantingLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2008, 05:49 AM   #11
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Me neither. I never considered him to be fat. Obviously he felt that in his own mind but I never saw it.

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2008, 12:20 PM   #12
starstruck
Apple Scruff

Send a message via AIM to starstruck Send a message via MSN to starstruck Send a message via Skype™ to starstruck

Erm, "fat Elvis" is many female Beatle fans favourite John period. C'mon, he's a complete and utter sweetie in all the pics from around the time! But then again I adore fat Beardy Paul...I know it's well documented but it's the chunky looks I like! :-)

All my friends are pirates and they sail the BBC....
starstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2008, 12:42 PM   #13
Sarandipity
Dr. Robert

John is certainly the hottest "Fat Elvis" I've ever seen. He was much too hard on himself.

Myspace

Facebook
Sarandipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2009, 01:48 PM   #14
the ninth walrus
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via Yahoo to the ninth walrus

from phots i've seen that are around the hepl and revover era i dontthink he was fat mabey a lttel chubbe but not fat

there's nothing like an afternoon of drinking homemade butter milk and listing to old music.

sǝɯıʇ ʇɐ ǝɟıl

me i'm part Irish
the ninth walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2012, 11:32 AM   #15
J.Winston.L
Nowhere Man

I remember reading that John said of that so-called fat period that he was "living on bacon and scotch".
I love a good highly peated scotch like Laphroaig but not enough to get fat on, bourbon on the other hand is a different story so I work out to burn off those bourbon calories.
Old May 06, 2012, 03:14 PM   #16
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

I'm into weight gain and I write Beatles weight gain fantasies, especially John. I once wrote to Dan Savage about this and he accused me of being a guy posing as a girl because no girl is into weight gain.

I thought, "I am so cool. I confused Dan Savage"
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2012, 10:50 PM   #17
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Winston.L View Post
I remember reading that John said of that so-called fat period that he was "living on bacon and scotch".
I read that he said "I was eating like a pig, too much red wine and meat". That's the reason why apparantly he reduced his meat consumation in 1966.

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2012, 04:56 PM   #18
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
I read that he said "I was eating like a pig, too much red wine and meat". That's the reason why apparantly he reduced his meat consumation in 1966.

Snoopy
funny too since it's the simple carbs and sugars that make one fat
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote