BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Mar 02, 2003, 08:11 PM   #1
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

Default Bo Diddley says rap won\'t last....

I found this very short article in our paper this morning. It's about Bo Diddley and what he thinks of rap music. John was a fan of Bo Diddley (and the other Beatles too). Anyway, here's the article:

Bo Diddley is no fan of rap music. The 74 year old bluesman says rap "is not a thing that's going to last as long as I have. First of all, you can't understand what it is and it has no meaning," Diddley told an aundience this week at Dunnellon High School, 35 miles from Diddley's home in Archer, near Gainesville in north Florida. "The lyrics are very disgusting because you are a person, and a person deserves respect," he said. "I have daughters, my mother was a woman, and I don't like what I'm hearing."

Agree with Bo? Disagree?

The funny thing is, parents of the WWII generation said similar things about rock 'n' roll music when it first came out. Not everyone from the WWII generation disliked rock 'n' roll, but there were some who did. Now, the lyrics from the 50's and 60's music seems tame nowadays, but back then....
But then again, people seemed to have R-E-S-P-E-C-T in their music and respect in their musicians that they admired (i.e. the Beatles admiring the rock 'n' roll greats). Sure, there were 'teenage death songs like 'Teen Angel' and 'Last Kiss' but they didn't tell you how to kill your mother or say f--- all the time either.
What do you all think?
-Kristi
ImaginePeace78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2003, 11:47 PM   #2
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Default Re: Bo Diddley says rap won\'t last....

I dunno...

Bo and his grand-son did sound pretty good on the rap-type song "Kids don't do it" (1996).

But then again, Bo also once said...

"To me, R & B stands for rip-off and bull**it !"

Still, he is my Beatles equivalent for the 1950's !
[img]graemlins/thumbsup1.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Mar 02, 2003, 11:48 PM: Message Edited By: ABCKO ][/size]
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2003, 11:52 PM   #3
bearkat77
Administrator

I hope that C"rap" music doesn't last. It should disappear from the face of the Earth.
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2003, 05:07 AM   #4
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted By bearkat77:
It should disappear from the face of the Earth.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Wow, that's pretty harsh. I actually don't mind rap as long as it's got a positive message and some sort of melodic background....I don't like the violent, misogynistic songs, but then, I don't like violent, misogynistic songs of ANY genre.

I'd be surprised if it didn't last in some form. I think sometimes us older people don't realize how phenomenally popular it is among a lot of the younger people. And Bo is a LOT older than I am! (ha ha!)
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2003, 09:29 AM   #5
Danoota64
Wild Honey Pie

You know that old expression, if you can't say something good about something, then don't say anything at all?
Here's my post...
Danoota64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2003, 10:10 AM   #6
jtal909
Sun King

Who does he think he is? Bo Didddley or something?
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2003, 11:09 AM   #7
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

[img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

He does have a point though! I know a lot of it is done in a humourous vein, but a lot of the lyrics are demeaning to the human race in general!

And I find it annoying to listen to it also!(so I don't [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )
Savoy Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2003, 11:31 AM   #8
Magill
Sun King

In this case, I think Bo knows Diddley! I wish he were right, but it's already been around for 20 or so years [img]graemlins/images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] . At least we were able to obliterate disco! For that, we can be thankful! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

*hides from BeeGees fans on board*
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2003, 11:38 AM   #9
dav-here
Sun King

Send a message via Yahoo to dav-here

Quote:
Originally Posted By Magill:
At least we were able to obliterate disco! For that, we can be thankful! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/clap2.gif[/img] Praise the Lord!! [img]graemlins/clap2.gif[/img]
dav-here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2003, 02:15 PM   #10
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By bearkat77:
It should disappear from the face of the Earth.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Wow, that's pretty harsh. I actually don't mind rap as long as it's got a positive message and some sort of melodic background....I don't like the violent, misogynistic songs, but then, I don't like violent, misogynistic songs of ANY genre.

I'd be surprised if it didn't last in some form. I think sometimes us older people don't realize how phenomenally popular it is among a lot of the younger people. And Bo is a LOT older than I am! (ha ha!)
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Besides Will Smith,what other rapper has something positive to say?I was looking at Best Buy ad and every rap cd had the parental advisory sticker on them.Don't even tell me Eminiem cause he's the worst.I hate the fact he says he wants his ex-wife dead and his daughter is exposed to hearing that!
ChrisG134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2003, 02:25 PM   #11
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
I actually don't mind rap as long as it's got a positive message and some sort of melodic background....I don't like the violent, misogynistic songs, but then, I don't like violent, misogynistic songs of ANY genre.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Unfortunately, those types of songs are what gets the heavy publicity treatment and therefore they become what SELLS, it seems.
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2003, 02:25 PM   #12
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted By ChrisG134:
Besides Will Smith,what other rapper has something positive to say?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">A lot of them do, actually. Unfortunately, they tend not to be the ones who are the most popular. Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly care for most rap, but I just hate to dismiss it out of hand just like my parents did about rock and roll! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2003, 08:51 PM   #13
Beatleboydave
Little Child

I'll settle for a Silly Love Song.

You go Bo!
Beatleboydave is offline   Reply With Quote