BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Your Mother Should Know

Old Oct 12, 2001, 02:56 AM   #21
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Default Re: One and only...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Nowhere Man:
very sloppy they were in recording around this time.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And thank you for your critical little analysis there NWM!

I wouldn't say that a group that was sloppy would be capable of recording something like All You Need is Love (or any other post-Pepper track for that matter) in any number of tracks - let alone 58.

Maybe the reasons for songs being recorded over and over was due to a number of factors - not all relating to being sloppy or not.

------------------
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2001, 03:42 PM   #22

There sure were a number of reasons, Luce! Quote (from Ian Macdonald's 'Revolution In The Head')...

"One of the Beatles' less deserving hits, Lennon's 'All You Need Is Love' owes more of its standing to its local historical associations than to its inspiration which, as with their other immediate post-Pepper recordings - is desultory. Thrown together [written at the last minute] for Our World, a live TV broadcast linking 24 countries by global satellite on 25th June 1967, the song is an inelegant structure in alternating bars of 4/4 and 3/4, capped by a chorus which, like its B-side 'Baby You're A Rich Man', consists largely of a single note. The order in which the group's recordings of this period were issued concealed the slapdash atmosphere in which they were made and to some extent disguised the slopiness on show in 'All You Need Is Love' (a false impression reinforced by the razzmatazz surrounding it). The fact was, though, that the Beatles were now doing wilfully substandard work: paying little attention to musical values and settling for lyric-first thoughts on the principle that everything, however haphazard, meant something and if it didn't - so what? Their attention to production, so painstaking during the Pepper sessions, had likewise faded. (The engineers at Olympic, where the backing track was prepared for the TV broadcast, were shocked by the carlessness with which the mixdown was made).

Drug-sodden laziness was half the problem. In Lennon's case, this was complicated by his oscillating confidence, which had him either wildly overestimating the Beatles ('We're as good as Beethoven') or flatly dismissing them (and art in general) as 'a con'. The rest of the trouble sprang from the ethos of 1967 itself - a passive atmosphere in which anything involving struggle, conflict, or difficulty seemed laughably unenlightened. 'It's easy' - the half-ingenious, half-sarcastic refrain of 'All You Need Is Love' - expressed both this starry-eyed mood and the Beatles' non-evaluative attitude to their music in the dazzling light of LSD. All you had to do was toss a coin, consult the I Ching, or read a random paragraph from a newspaper - and then start playing or singing. Anyone could do it, everyone could join in. ('All together now...')

During the chaotic sessions for 'It's All Too Much', the group filled several tapes with instrumental ramblings to which they never later returned, although they were presumably under the impression that they were doing something worthwhile at the time. By mid-1967, their enthusiasm for 'random', which had begun as a sensible instinct for capitalising on fortuitous mistakes, was starting to degenerate into a readiness to accept more or less anything, however daft or irrelevant, as divinely dispensed. Lennon's lyric for 'All You Need Is Love' shows the rot setting in: a shadow of sense discernible behind a cloud of casual incoherence through which the author's train of thought glides sleepily backwards.The various musical quotations - collaged onto the backing track by George Martin, working to the Beatles' offhand instructions - are in the same vein, if more to the point, underlining an ambiguity implicit in the orchestra's blowsily derisive rejoinders to the chorus. The presiding spirit of 'All You Need Is Love' nonetheless has more to do with comfortable self-indulgence than redeeming self-parody."

So you see, they were very lazy during this period and just expected everything they touched to turn to gold.

Quote from Lewisohn's Recording Sessions...

"'I don't know if they had prepared any ideas [for the live TV event] but they left it very late to write the song,' says Geoff Emerick. John said, 'Oh God, is it that close? I suppose we'd better write something...'

It was, as one might well imagine, a hectic, unforgettable day for all concerned. 'Horrendous, there's no two ways about it,' recalls Emerick. 'To attempt to record what we recorded even without the link-up was ridiculous!'

'It was getting very panicky by transmission time, anything could have gone wrong,' says Abbey Road balance engineer Peter Vince. 'I wouldn't have been in Geoff's shoes for all the tea in China!'

'Of course he wouldn't!,' jokes Emerick. 'We actually went on air about 40 seconds early. George and I were having a welcome shot of Scotch whisky when we got the word over the intercom. There was a big panic to hide the bottle and the glasses. We were shoving them under the mixing console!'"

These problems continued on...

"Magical Mystery Tour was terribly badly organised and it's amazing that anything ever came out of it,' says George Martin. 'They were into their random period - they said 'If Laurence Olivier walks in this room we'll record it and it'll be great'. All That sort of thing, the John Cage influence. It was chaotic. The [coach] tour itself was dreadful, apparently, but I didn't go on that.'

'I tended to lay back on MMT and let them have their head. Some of the sounds weren't very good. Some were brilliant but some were bloody awful. 'I Am The Walrus' was organised - it was organised chaos. I'm proud of that. But there was also disorganised chaos that I'm not very proud of.'"

That's pretty much the gist of it.

------------------
Old Oct 13, 2001, 11:07 PM   #23
joe
Taxman

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Nowhere Man:
Which Beatles' song was recorded in only one take?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey NWM,it sounds like you only thought of one, and i've already named two.
what's up?

------------------
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2001, 05:27 AM   #24
SF4-EVER

Thanks for posting those quotes from Revolution in the Head and Recording Sessions, Boris.

------------------
"It is better to light a candle than to damn darkness." -- Confucius

Author of "Move Over Ms. L." and the sequel "To Thine Own Self Be True,"
hosted at www.rooftopsessions.com
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2001, 10:40 PM   #25
**DONOTDELETE**

There sure were a number of reasons, Luce! Quote (from Ian Macdonald's 'Revolution In The Head')...

"One of the Beatles' less deserving hits, Lennon's 'All You Need Is Love' owes more of its standing to its local historical associations than to its inspiration which, as with their other immediate post-Pepper recordings - is desultory. Thrown together [written at the last minute] for Our World, a live TV broadcast linking 24 countries by global satellite on 25th June 1967, the song is an inelegant structure in alternating bars of 4/4 and 3/4, capped by a chorus which, like its B-side 'Baby You're A Rich Man', consists largely of a single note. The order in which the group's recordings of this period were issued concealed the slapdash atmosphere in which they were made and to some extent disguised the slopiness on show in 'All You Need Is Love' (a false impression reinforced by the razzmatazz surrounding it). The fact was, though, that the Beatles were now doing wilfully substandard work: paying little attention to musical values and settling for lyric-first thoughts on the principle that everything, however haphazard, meant something and if it didn't - so what? Their attention to production, so painstaking during the Pepper sessions, had likewise faded. (The engineers at Olympic, where the backing track was prepared for the TV broadcast, were shocked by the carlessness with which the mixdown was made).

Drug-sodden laziness was half the problem. In Lennon's case, this was complicated by his oscillating confidence, which had him either wildly overestimating the Beatles ('We're as good as Beethoven') or flatly dismissing them (and art in general) as 'a con'. The rest of the trouble sprang from the ethos of 1967 itself - a passive atmosphere in which anything involving struggle, conflict, or difficulty seemed laughably unenlightened. 'It's easy' - the half-ingenious, half-sarcastic refrain of 'All You Need Is Love' - expressed both this starry-eyed mood and the Beatles' non-evaluative attitude to their music in the dazzling light of LSD. All you had to do was toss a coin, consult the I Ching, or read a random paragraph from a newspaper - and then start playing or singing. Anyone could do it, everyone could join in. ('All together now...')

During the chaotic sessions for 'It's All Too Much', the group filled several tapes with instrumental ramblings to which they never later returned, although they were presumably under the impression that they were doing something worthwhile at the time. By mid-1967, their enthusiasm for 'random', which had begun as a sensible instinct for capitalising on fortuitous mistakes, was starting to degenerate into a readiness to accept more or less anything, however daft or irrelevant, as divinely dispensed. Lennon's lyric for 'All You Need Is Love' shows the rot setting in: a shadow of sense discernible behind a cloud of casual incoherence through which the author's train of thought glides sleepily backwards.The various musical quotations - collaged onto the backing track by George Martin, working to the Beatles' offhand instructions - are in the same vein, if more to the point, underlining an ambiguity implicit in the orchestra's blowsily derisive rejoinders to the chorus. The presiding spirit of 'All You Need Is Love' nonetheless has more to do with comfortable self-indulgence than redeeming self-parody."

So you see, they were very lazy during this period and just expected everything they touched to turn to gold.

Quote from Lewisohn's Recording Sessions...

"'I don't know if they had prepared any ideas [for the live TV event] but they left it very late to write the song,' says Geoff Emerick. John said, 'Oh God, is it that close? I suppose we'd better write something...'

It was, as one might well imagine, a hectic, unforgettable day for all concerned. 'Horrendous, there's no two ways about it,' recalls Emerick. 'To attempt to record what we recorded even without the link-up was ridiculous!'

'It was getting very panicky by transmission time, anything could have gone wrong,' says Abbey Road balance engineer Peter Vince. 'I wouldn't have been in Geoff's shoes for all the tea in China!'

'Of course he wouldn't!,' jokes Emerick. 'We actually went on air about 40 seconds early. George and I were having a welcome shot of Scotch whisky when we got the word over the intercom. There was a big panic to hide the bottle and the glasses. We were shoving them under the mixing console!'"

These problems continued on...

"Magical Mystery Tour was terribly badly organised and it's amazing that anything ever came out of it,' says George Martin. 'They were into their random period - they said 'If Laurence Olivier walks in this room we'll record it and it'll be great'. All That sort of thing, the John Cage influence. It was chaotic. The [coach] tour itself was dreadful, apparently, but I didn't go on that.'

'I tended to lay back on MMT and let them have their head. Some of the sounds weren't very good. Some were brilliant but some were bloody awful. 'I Am The Walrus' was organised - it was organised chaos. I'm proud of that. But there was also disorganised chaos that I'm not very proud of.'"

That's pretty much the gist of it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where do you find the time???

------------------
"If not for you my sky would fall, rain would gather too
Without your love I'd be nowhere at all, I'd be lost if not for you"
Old Oct 14, 2001, 11:26 PM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By SF4-EVER:
Thanks for posting those quotes from Revolution in the Head and Recording Sessions, Boris.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're welcome.

------------------
Old Oct 14, 2001, 11:32 PM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By joe:
hey NWM,it sounds like you only thought of one, and i've already named two.
what's up?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did say that there was more than one answer.

I can assure you that there are at least 12 others that were recorded in only one take. 2 of these have never been released (one has been in the news recently). Another was scrapped after recording and only ever officially released on the Beatles Anthology.

------------------
Old Oct 15, 2001, 08:10 PM   #31
bearkat77
Administrator

Could one of them be "How Do You Do It"?

------------------

Bearkat77's Beatlemaniac Page
Bearkat77's Tribute to John Lennon
Bearkat77's Tribute to Ringo Starr
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2001, 08:15 PM   #32
bearkat77
Administrator

Two that I'm pretty sure were done in one take are "Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby" and "Rock And Roll Music".

------------------

Bearkat77's Beatlemaniac Page
Bearkat77's Tribute to John Lennon
Bearkat77's Tribute to Ringo Starr
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2001, 08:33 PM   #33
**DONOTDELETE**

I think he means the ones written by The Beatles, though, Kat.

------------------
Old Oct 15, 2001, 09:37 PM   #35

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By bearkat77:
Could one of them be "How Do You Do It"?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This one had 2 takes, and while the others you mentioned did only have 1, all of these were not written by the Beatles - Marissa was right in saying that I was specifically looking for Beatle-written songs.

------------------
Old Oct 15, 2001, 09:58 PM   #36

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By 4thGenFan:
Hello Little Girl?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This one I have no idea about, nor does anyone else - they did it during home rehearsals in 1960, then for the DECCA audition, then gave it away to Gerry & The Pacemakers - no one really knows how many takes of it were done so your guess is as good as mine.

------------------
Old Oct 16, 2001, 11:14 AM   #37
mindgames
Sgt. Pepper

"All Together Now"

------------------
This space for rent.
mindgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2001, 07:58 PM   #38
**DONOTDELETE**

This one I have no idea about, nor does anyone else
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We'll just say I'm right, then.

------------------