BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Jun 17, 2002, 06:09 AM   #1
C-Moon
Wild Honey Pie

Default Mike McCartney Speaks: It\'s Great Macca\'s Happy

It's great Macca's happy
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,5-2002271490,00.html

By CHARLES YATES

SIR Paul McCartney’s brother yesterday gave the inside story on the wedding of the year.

Mike McCartney was Macca’s best man when he married Heather Mills at the private family ceremony in Ireland.

And yesterday he said: “It’s great that Our Kid has found someone to be happy with.”

Mike, 58, revealed that he walked his brother into church humming Irish band
Thin Lizzy’s hit The Boys Are Back In Town.

And he told how he bought Paul a FRISBEE as a wedding present.

Mike said the unorthodox entrance won praise from former Beatles drummer Ringo Starr.

Talking for the first time about the hush-hush do at Castle Leslie, Co Monaghan, Mike said: ““I’d whispered to the relatives on the right of the church ‘The Boys Are Back In Town’ as we walked past them.

“After that I couldn’t get the song out of my head.

“Ringo told me afterwards, ‘I loved the entrance’.”

Mike told how his son Joshua, 19, was an usher at the service in a 17th century chapel on the castle estate.

One of his jobs was to hold the box containing the wedding rings.

Mike said: “Joshua is a drummer himself in a rock ’n’ roll band called Trilby but at the wedding Paul dubbed him The Lord of The Rings.

“I thought I should introduce Joshua to Ringo but it never happened — we were too busy.”

Mike was a pop star himself in Sixties novelty group Scaffold, who had hits
with Lily The Pink and Thank U Very Much.

He was clearly moved by the wedding. And he agrees all you need is love.

He said: “I’ve been at the epicentre of the explosion. Things will be coming back from that day for months to come.

“Over there I was just feet away from two people who love each other — that’s all you want in life. If you’re lucky and you both love each other, that is all anybody needs.”

Mike said that Paul, 59, felt lucky before the wedding because he had spotted a bright double rainbow the previous day.

And for extra luck he wore a “magic buttonhole” to marry former model Heather, 34.

“Not only did he have a pink McCartney rose but he had a sprig from Dad’s lavender bush and Mum’s favourite flowers — two buttercups — in his lapel.

“That lavender bush came from our family home in Forthlin Road, Liverpool. All our lives we had lavender around us.

“Mum would put it in little sachets and leave it in drawers and Dad would burn it in his ashtray.”

Mike revealed that he was Master of Ceremonies at Paul’s wedding as well as
Best Man.

He said: “I introduced the first dance, Tony Bennett singing The Very Thought Of You. It was Paul and Heather’s favourite song and it was lovely.

“At the start there was just Bennett’s voice singing. Then all of a sudden the song broke off and Tony was talking on a specially-made recording.

“He said, ‘So Paul and Heather, how great it is to be part of this great occasion. This is my wedding present to you’.”

Mike also revealed a couple of snippets from his best man’s speech.

He said: ‘I warned Heather’s family of the insanity they were coming into.

“I told them the family sayings. I reckon our lot must have invented surrealism centuries ago. Popular phrases used by our lot include ‘the answer is, there is no answer’ or ‘in goes your eye out’.

“Or as Aunty Milly would say, ‘here we are, where are we?’ The whole McCartney clan have been brought up on these absolutely bizarre and magic sayings for years.

“I say them and never explain them. They always get you thinking. Nobody ever explained any of them to Paul or me.

“I’ve got six kids and a grandchild just 18-months-old and they’ve all heard them.”

Mike also weaved a line into his speech to give the result of Ireland’s 3-0 World Cup triumph over Saudi Arabia.

He said: “I was changing the speech even as Heather’s sister Fiona was making hers before me.”

For Mike it was his second spell as best man for his famous brother — he gave a speech when Paul married photographer Linda Eastman in March, 1969, at London’s Marylebone register office.

Mike, speaking at the home he shares with wife Rowena, 39, in Heswall, the Wirral, recalled how Paul was devastated by Linda’s death from cancer in April 1998.

The brothers had already lost their mother Mary, a midwife, from the disease in 1956 when Mike was 12 and Paul 14.

Their father Jim died 20 years later. Mike said: “When we heard that Linda had died, Ro said, what are you going to do? I just got in the car and went down to Paul’s house on the south coast. There are some times when talking isn’t enough.

“It knocked Paul for six. That’s the most important time that anybody should bother about anybody else, when death happens. With the passage of time grief gets less, but it never ever leaves you.”

Mike added: “When we talk about Dad or Mum to this day it all comes back. But there’s also a thing where you have to get on with your life. Time goes on with you and without you.

“What is great is the fact that our kid has found someone to be happy with.

“I am lucky in the fact that I am still in love with the lady that I married 20 years ago.

“Paul was best man on that day and his speech was more relaxed and shorter than the one I gave this week. He just ad libbed.

“Like Paul and Heather there was an age difference between us — it’s 18 years.

“Some people said our marriage wouldn’t last 20 years ago — but it has.”

Mike added: “Paul was going out with Jane Asher when he was best man for my first marriage. Then when I got remarried 20 years ago in Penny Lane he did the job again.”

Mike was not surprised when Sir Paul harked back to his childhood after the speeches at this week’s wedding.

He said: “At the end of the day we’re two little Liverpool lads — that is exactly what we are. We’ve never really changed — the world has changed all around us.

“But every time we get together we are just the way we were. He’s remained sane amid all the madness.

“There we were in this big posh castle and Our Kid throws the frisbee I bought him as a wedding present. It had P and H written on it.

“I am glad they found each other — you’ve got to be. I wish Paul and Heather all the luck in the world.”

------------------
"Oh that magic feeling, no place to go..."

"I can see the world tonight, Look into the future, See it in a different light. I can see the world tonight."
C-Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2002, 06:23 AM   #2
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart
Default Re: Mike McCartney Speaks: It\'s Great Macca\'s Happy

Thanks for posting this, C-Moon. I've met Mike Mac several times and let me tell you, Paul didn't get ALL the charm in that family! I haven't seen a pic of Mike in a few years - I'm dying to see what he's looking like these days!

------------------
I go back so far, I'm in front of me...
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2002, 07:03 AM   #3

Good luck to you Paul I wish you lots of happiness! and if this thing doesn't work out. You know who you could turn to for a shoulder to cry on.
Hey check out my page guys: http://profiles.yahoo.com/vonda1974

------------------
" What's wrong with that? I'd like to know? Cause here I go again"--Paul McCartney
Old Jun 17, 2002, 09:24 AM   #4
ahme623
Wild Honey Pie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By C-Moon:

Paul dubbed him The Lord of The Rings.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*que groaning

------------------
"Love is wanting to be loved."
~ John Lennon
ahme623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2002, 09:38 AM   #5
HeyBeatle
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HeyBeatle Send a message via MSN to HeyBeatle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By ahme623:

*que groaning

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey that actually made me laugh.

------------------
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else is.

~If you don't mind, I'm going to bed before either of you come up with another idea to get us killed, or worse expelled!
~She needs to sort of her priorities.
HeyBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2002, 09:47 AM   #6
FiendishThingie
Bulldog

Boy! Time's gotten away from me! How can Joshua be 19! How old does that make Max now? And when did he have the 6th one? I'm out of the Mike Mac link! I'm a failure! My life is a complete loss!

FT

------------------
"I would say that it doesn't matter whether you're the king of a country
or you're the sultan of Brunei or you're a fabulous Beatle;
it's what's inside that counts." George Harrison
FiendishThingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2002, 02:28 PM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Paul doesn't need toasters and blenders. Mike brought a fun gift that showed some imagination.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2002, 03:15 PM   #8
Lynner

Both the McCartney men are cute and charming. I'm glad that we got to hear something from Mike about the ceremony. Anyone know what he's been up to these days?

------------------
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2002, 11:19 PM   #9
shyGirl
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By C-Moon:
And he told how he bought Paul a FRISBEE as a wedding present.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess it's better than getting a toaster or a blender.

------------------

Song of the moment-Come Together

shyGirl's Hideout
shyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2002, 12:24 AM   #10
Sexy_Sadie
Mr. Moonlight

And for extra luck he wore a “magic buttonhole” to marry former model Heather, 34.

“Not only did he have a pink McCartney rose but he had a sprig from Dad’s lavender bush and Mum’s favourite flowers — two buttercups — in his lapel.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aww how sweet! Thanks for the great article.

------------------
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see..."
Sexy_Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2002, 06:00 AM   #11
FiendishThingie
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Lynner:
Both the McCartney men are cute and charming. I'm glad that we got to hear something from Mike about the ceremony. Anyone know what he's been up to these days?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right Lynner! Both are very charming & very nice!
Last I heard was that Mike had a photo exhibit in early Spring 2002. Don't hear much about him most of the time, tho'.

FT

------------------
"I would say that it doesn't matter whether you're the king of a country
or you're the sultan of Brunei or you're a fabulous Beatle;
it's what's inside that counts." George Harrison
FiendishThingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2002, 12:11 PM   #12
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I saw Mike at the 1984 Beatlefest in NYC. I'd like to see more updates on him. Thanks for this.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2002, 03:31 AM   #14
Lynner

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By AmandaLennon:
beatlefest in 1984 in NYC?
were you there?
gosh...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm confused - why is this so funny?????

------------------
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote