BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Goodnight Vienna

Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:02 AM   #101
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Chart Beat Thursday: Vampire Weekend, Train, Shakira
by Gary Trust | January 21, 2010 5:55 EST

YOU'RE 58: Ringo Starr notches his highest-charting album on the Billboard 200 in more than 33 years, as "Y Not" opens at No. 58.

Starr last ranked at a higher spot with "Ringo's Rotogravure," which debuted on the chart dated Oct. 16, 1976, and peaked at No. 28.

"Y Not," which features vocal contributions from Paul McCartney, Joss Stone and Joe Walsh, marks Starr's 14th post-Beatles entry on the Billboard 200. He first appeared when his solo debut "Sentimental Journey" bowed the week of May 16, 1970.

Source: http://www.billboard.com/column/char...04060953.story
LennonStarrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:23 AM   #102
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Ringo tries to rekindle past magic in ‘Y Not’
By Marc Basham

| Published: Monday, January 25, 2010

Updated: Monday, January 25, 2010

Like many people, I was raised listening to The Beatles.

When I heard Ringo Starr was releasing a new solo album, I knew the sounds of my childhood would be resurrected.

With his first album since 2008’s critically acclaimed "Liverpool 8," Starr has taken a new direction with his music in "Y Not" and, with a little help from his friends, Starr aims to quench fans’ musical thirst with a well-written, creative album.

The first thought going into this album for anyone would have to be: "Does Paul McCartney make an appearance?"

For those still living within the realm of Beatlemania, Starr and McCartney do collaborate on "Y Not" with the song "Walk With You."

With catchy lyrics, a good beat and a nostalgic feel, "Walk With You," shows fans Starr has not completely lost his musical talent, unlike other artists from his generation.

McCartney’s presence on the track, simply adding backing vocals on the chorus, isn’t a make-or-break aspect of "Walk With You."

It’s a good track, with or without the head Beatle in the background.

The guest appearances don’t stop at McCartney, who also provides the bass line in the track "Peace Dream."

The opening track, "Fill in the Blanks," features help from former Eagles frontman Joe Walsh.

With a more electric sound on this album than any of his previous efforts, Starr seemed to enlist the best of the best in this area, and it really shows in "Fill in the Blanks."

Walsh’s heavy guitar playing adds to the song and provides a previously undiscovered sound for Starr, one that really highlights his abilities.

Pop star Joss Stone also makes an appearance in "Y Not," pulling a writing credit in "Who’s Your Daddy," and Stone outshines the former Beatle by leaps and bounds on the track.

Unfortunately, the track highlights a weakness in Starr’s vocal abilities.

In "Who’s Your Daddy," little editing was done to avoid altering Stone’s amazing vocals, but the track showcases Starr’s weakened abilities.

It’s evident throughout the album that Starr’s vocals have been touched up a bit thanks to the modern wonders of editing.

But hey, it is not like he was The Beatles’ lead singer to begin with.

Since the breakup of the "Fab Four," Starr has maintained his celebrity status, continuing to release albums on a regular basis.

In the end, he is still Ringo Starr, and there are few band things to say about him or his "Octopus’s Garden."

Grade: B

Source: http://www.thedaonline.com/a-e/ringo...-not-1.1086068
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:27 AM   #103
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Fab Fourum Review Y Not: http://www.podarama.com/fab_fourum/blog.php
Old Feb 01, 2010, 04:36 AM   #104
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

My copy was posted out on Friday so I'm hoping it's at home when I get back from work. :)

www.metaltalk.net for Daily Metal News, Reviews and Opinions
johnnymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:05 AM   #105
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

Got it last night and on a first listen, it's a good album. I think after a few listens I'll grow to like it a lot more, though.

The booklet with the CD is a bit of a let down. No decent pictures of Ringo (or the musicians who recorded it) and no lyrics - just writer and production credits.

www.metaltalk.net for Daily Metal News, Reviews and Opinions

Last edited by johnnymain : Feb 02, 2010 at 06:05 AM.
johnnymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2010, 04:56 AM   #106
darkhorse
Sun King

You pretty much represent my opinion about the album. To me, it's a good collection, and a huge step ahead after the Liverpool 8 letdown. The standout track, to me, is "Walk With You", but "Peace Dream", "Mystery of the Night" and "Fill in the Blanks" are pretty good songs as well, except for the name-checking on "Peace Dream", which I'm not really a fan of. I like the fact that he added "Everyone Wins" to his "official" list of tracks, and I like the fact that he sings with Joss Stone because I really like her voice.

But the booklet is really a letdown. At just two pages, it is almost an invitation to buy the digital tracks or simply to illegally download the album.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote