BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Jun 28, 2008, 02:14 AM   #1
Ivan P
Nowhere Man

Default Wings At The Speed of Sound

I've read back through old topics regarding this album, and the common opinion seems to be that this was among Wings' weakest records, with the overall tone being somewhat boring. I have to say that I disagree with this, it's one of my favourite Paul and Wings albums, and I find every song quite listenable (even Cook of the House).

LET 'EM IN - I will say that I think this goes for a little too long, overall it's a nice track but the chorus seems to be repeated so much considering there is so little other lyric. Love the piano, however.

THE NOTE YOU NEVER WROTE - This is a very, very strange track in both how long it takes for anything to happen (it's something like 30 seconds before Denny's singing even starts), and the structure of the lyrics (some words feel quite out of place)...the harmonies during the chorus are really quite haunting and give me a strange feeling.

SHE'S MY BABY - My least favourite track on the album, though it isn't terrible or anything. The main thing I dislike is the basicness and, at times, stupidness of the lyrics (do I need to explain the line?). However, I do really like the intro, with the bass suddenly coming in while Paul's singing.

BEWARE MY LOVE - Very strong track even if, like The Note You Never Wrote, it takes a while to begin. For some reason it reminds me of Band on the Run, with the start of the track being broken into different segments...that isn't a bad thing.

WINO JUNKO - I adore this song, I personally find the opening to be very catching and Jimmy's singing, although not great like Paul's, goes very nicely with the music (I have no idea why, but I have a soft spot for the way he says "wino junko"; why-noh junn-koh).

SILLY LOVE SONGS - One of my favourites on the album (along with the previous two tracks and Warm and Beautiful); I've known for a long time that it was based on a John Lennon quote about Paul, but only recently have I discovered just how hilarious it is to listen to the song while keeping it's context in mind (how at first it seems like Paul is mocking himself, before turning into a more of a "TAKE THAT!" sort of thing).

COOK OF THE HOUSE - Now, Linda may not be the best singer, and even the lyrics and musical arrangement bothers me a little, but overall I still find it somewhat entertaining. I don't think anything else has to be said, apart from the sound effects at the start and end interrupting the flow of the album.

TIME TO HIDE - One of my favourite Denny compositions, I find the combination of his singing, the drumming, and the harmonica to go together really, really well (although I do prefer the version on Wings Over America).

MUST DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT - Although not the worst track, it is the one I forget whenever I list the tracks (for whatever reason). It's not bad or anything, just forgetful.

SAN FERRY ANNE - Quite an odd song, and sounds rather different to anything else on the album. Kinda...average.

WARM AND BEAUTIFUL - Great closing to the album, there is nothing that I don't like.

What are your thoughts?
Old Jun 28, 2008, 04:09 AM   #2
fabgirl
Apple Scruff

I bought this record when it came out and disliked it so much that I gave it away. I remember being so disappointed how how bad the songs were, considering that I had always loved Paul's music in the Beatles and in the first McCartney album.
fabgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 04:35 AM   #3
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Most of Paul's albums only supply me with one or two songs that I really like. This album is no exception.

I really like
Let 'Em In &
Silly Love Songs
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 04:42 AM   #4
Lynner

There are some very nice songs on this album, certainly. I still cannot say that this is one of my favorites, as I just don't care to listen to it from beginning to end. Easier for me to pick out the songs I like:

Let 'em in: enjoy the listing of various family members, the horns. It's not a deep song, but just a fun one.

Silly Love Songs: One that sometimes I like and sometimes I don't. Remember this from when it first came out and totally loved it. But now...well it's just too long of a song for me, I think.But I do like Linda's vocals and the various backing vocals weave in and out. And yes, a very good bass line! (are you reading this, Rell'? )

Cook of the house: What I like about this one is that Linda just doesn't take herself seriously. Thank goodness. I really do think she did fine on backing vocals, but a lead singer. Nope, not strong enough.

Time to Hide: I just like this song. For the most part, I enjoy all of the songs he did with Wings.

As for the rest of the album, just not really my thing. Can't even tell you the last time I played it.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 06:06 AM   #5
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynner View Post
And yes, a very good bass line! (are you reading this, Rell'? )
Ha ha ha ha. Yes.

I tend to agree with the general consensus that it's not the greatest album. Kind of forgettable, in my mind, to tell you the truth. I love "Beware My Love" and "Time To Hide" (heard Denny play that live last year and I swear I was the only person in the audience who knew it...lol...) and I like "Silly Love Songs" (I agree on the "TAKE THAT!" attitude, most people don't see that, it seems!) and "Warm & Beautiful". But the rest just kind of fade away. Well, except for "Let 'Em In", which is, to me, one of the worst things Paul's ever released, definitely the worst of any of his singles, in my opinion. Can't stand that song.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 09:03 PM   #6
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

The bad thing about this album is that about half of it can be found in superior versions on Wings Over America. The only studio version that even compares to the live version is "Silly Love Songs."

Quote:
Well, except for "Let 'Em In", which is, to me, one of the worst things Paul's ever released, definitely the worst of any of his singles, in my opinion. Can't stand that song.
Whew, I thought I was the only person who thought so. I guess the horns are cool but wow, what an uncreative and lame song. Don't know if I'd say it's his worst single (hard to beat "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and some of the Press to Play stuff for that) but it's easily his worst hit single.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote