BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old May 28, 2010, 08:24 AM   #41
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by yol View Post
Name one great song that came from this album
Well, if you don't think A Day in the Life is a great song, then there's not much to discuss...

However, I'm not going to argue because Pepper has never been my favorite album. I do love ADITL, of course, as well as Lucy, Lovely Rita, and the title track & reprise. And there's just something about With a Little Help that I find irresistibly charming... and Kite is ok, interesting lyrics. But I could live without the rest.

But there is something magical about the album. I remember being fascinated with the cover when I was a kid, staring at it and trying to make sense of it. And then reading the lyrics on the back cover over and over...

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 06:03 AM   #42
Matildamother
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by yol View Post
I think Pepper is their worst. It's a pile of junk. It is evidence of what happens when you put people in a studio who no longer have to work for a living: you get pretentious, self-absorbed rubbish.
I think the true test is whether a great song came from an album.
Name one great song that came from this album--surely not "With a Little Help...", which is a dull filler. Surely not "Lucy..." or "Getting Better"--would you list either of these among the great Beatles' songs? What else is there among the self-absorbed nonsense of the album?
I can see how it made an impact (I'm actually not an idiot!) and that it led to great changes in music, but that doesn't make it intrinsically good; nor does it make it their best work.
Honestly, compare this with the vibrancy of "Please Please Me" or the maturity of "Rubber Soul".
In my opinion, after the death of Epstein, their reputation as a popular music group rests on a few big songs--mostly McCartney's songs: Hey Jude, Let it Be, Get Back, The Long and Winding Road, Back in the USSR, Lady Madonna; with perhaps Something and Here Comes the Sun by Harrison; to be nice, I'll throw in Come Together and Across the Universe by Lennon.
The rest, well... it's nice and all, but you could do without it on your desert island.

Fire at will.

Well, Sgt Pepper didn't have the pop song genius of Rubber Soul, or the artistry of Abbey Road. I think the songwriting was better on Revolver with maybe one of the most groundbreaking songs in "Tomorrow Never Knows" where avant music, classical Indian, psychedelic rock meets pop music in one song. It didn't have the White Album weirdness that younger musician admire. Heck the songs on "A Hard Day's Night" were brilliant approaches to pop music.

I don't think Sgt Pepper was their best songwriting album but it wasn't known for that reason like most Beatles albums. Sgt Pepper wasn't influential just because of it's album on tour concept and linking various songs with cross-fades. Until Sgt Pepper was created, vocals had been the focus of most pop productions. The instruments were mere supporting players. There were exceptions like Phil Spector, Pet Sounds and Revolver.

IMO Sgt Pepper is hurt by not having "Penny Lane/"Strawberry Fields Forever" which would make it the Beatles greatest album IMO. What Sgt Pepper does it turn convention upside down compared to Pet Sounds and Phil Spector. The Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows" hinted at this. You have the spliced calliopes of "Being for the Benefit of Mr., Kite", the classical Indian instrumentation on "Within You Without You", the tamboura, bizarre electronic effects and shifting meters on "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, the sampled animal sound collage fade-out on "Good Morning Good Morning" and the orchestral orgasm and sustained 40 second sustained piano chord on "A Day in the Life".

So it's influence is that Sgt Pepper tapestry is the sound of four guys going against musical convention by the world most popular group. In doing so these guys were hugely influential in opening the door for the sonic experimentation in all of rock and popular music.

Last edited by Matildamother : May 29, 2010 at 06:04 AM.
Matildamother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:26 PM   #43
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

I just sat down and listened (and did NOTHING but listen) to Sgt. Pepper in its entirety. Anybody who even for one second thinks this even MIGHT BE over-rated needs to rush themselves over and immediately check themselves into the nearest mental facility.
www.americanpatrol.com[/color]
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:45 AM   #44
bluefox4000
Apple Scruff

Send a message via Yahoo to bluefox4000

Just Listened to it also. Right now I love it. However, There will be a period where I want to toss it out my window lol. That's just my relationship with the album.

Oh yea, Pepper is 1 of 2 albums, the other being the White album, that I like better in Mono

Mick

-Leonard Cohen

Last edited by bluefox4000 : Jun 22, 2010 at 05:52 AM.
bluefox4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:15 PM   #45
Keri
Fool On The Hill

Default No currently it's more likely to be underrated

i wanted my first post on this board to be about Sgt Pepper as it is my favourite Beatles album and maybe my favourite album.

This is a question that seems to pop up and to me it shows that there has been a backlash against Sgt Pepper. When it came out it was regarded as a resounding triumph, it encapsulated the summer of love, it was colourful, imaginative, psychedelic and optimistic. We tend to be more cynical now and i think that is part of the reason for the backlash.

It is not really a concept album, but more than any other Beatles album the tracks all seem to flow together to make some kind of kaleidoscopic whole. When i listen to that album it takes me on a journey from the first sounds to the last and I feel really good at the end of it.

This album was the last one that the Beatles worked so co-operatively together.

I am so glad to finally have a beautifully mastered mono version of this. Particularly Lucy in the Sky is so much better, that little touch of phasing makes all the difference.

A fantastic album, i love it to bits.
Keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:24 PM   #46
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

I think on every album, there's bound to be a few songs fans are not going to be thrilled with. That's the nature of music.

Last edited by peanut333 : Dec 31, 2011 at 06:24 PM.
peanut333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:11 PM   #47
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri View Post
i wanted my first post on this board to be about Sgt Pepper as it is my favourite Beatles album and maybe my favourite album.

This is a question that seems to pop up and to me it shows that there has been a backlash against Sgt Pepper. When it came out it was regarded as a resounding triumph, it encapsulated the summer of love, it was colourful, imaginative, psychedelic and optimistic. We tend to be more cynical now and i think that is part of the reason for the backlash.

It is not really a concept album, but more than any other Beatles album the tracks all seem to flow together to make some kind of kaleidoscopic whole. When i listen to that album it takes me on a journey from the first sounds to the last and I feel really good at the end of it.

This album was the last one that the Beatles worked so co-operatively together.

I am so glad to finally have a beautifully mastered mono version of this. Particularly Lucy in the Sky is so much better, that little touch of phasing makes all the difference.

A fantastic album, i love it to bits.
Well-said, Keri!

Although not my favorite Beatles album, I still regard it and recognize it as the break-through album that it was at the time... the album that crowned the Summer Of Love, as you said. It was the sign post for a cultural shift—the pivot for all that came before it and all that would come after it.... the album that allegedly broke Brian Wilson's heart, and ended the little "call and response" thing they had going, on top of everything else.

I don't think "Pepper" can ever be over-rated. It's too important. Doesn't mean we all have to gush over it constantly. But it deserves the attention that it has always gotten.

Last edited by 62hofner : Dec 31, 2011 at 11:14 PM.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:15 AM   #48
wallrus59
Bulldog

Default overrated ?

i think not...as keri said cynical folks, to me, now more than ever.

i always wonder how it would have been if george martin had his way and it would have had SFF and PL included...
and would have he/the beatles replaced some songs or just added to the mix...

on my ipod i added SFF and PL in between side one and side two, it is a good listen.
to me anyway...your mileage may vary.

gk.

Last edited by wallrus59 : Jan 01, 2012 at 03:17 AM. Reason: it's cool out..
wallrus59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2012, 11:00 PM   #49
hibgal
Sun King

Sgt. Pepper is my favorite Beatles album. Like somebody else said, not every song may be a winner but the album is knitted together so well that one song effortlessly flows into the next and carries the listener along on the tide. I have a hard time picking songs from Pepper, preferring to play it from beginning to end, and I don't feel that as strongly with the other albums.

Besides that, any album with A Day In The Life on it gotta be pretty much a winner anyway.

And you're right W59, Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane definitely has the Pepper 'feel' to them. Never tried to insert them into the album though. Interesting idea!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:53 PM   #50
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Well said.

My short answer is no, the collection is not overrated. It is of extraordinary caliber!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:09 PM   #51
ChrisG134
Sun King

Impossible!The Beatles never had an over-rated album.They were all great!Not many artist can say that.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:00 AM   #52
Keri
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Sgt. Pepper is my favorite Beatles album. Like somebody else said, not every song may be a winner but the album is knitted together so well that one song effortlessly flows into the next and carries the listener along on the tide. I have a hard time picking songs from Pepper, preferring to play it from beginning to end, and I don't feel that as strongly with the other albums.

Besides that, any album with A Day In The Life on it gotta be pretty much a winner anyway.

And you're right W59, Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane definitely has the Pepper 'feel' to them. Never tried to insert them into the album though. Interesting idea!
Yes, Pepper has the flow and like the Beatles themselves it is greater than the sum of its parts. For me there are plenty of excellent tracks. With a Little help from my Friends shows Paul and John writing the perfect song for Ringo, it so fits his charcter, it is charming with a little sad look in his eye. The mono Lucy is fantastic, the harpsichord intro is just magical, all that psychedelic lyrical imagery. I've seen that quite a few people don't rate Being for the benefit of Mr Kite, but I love this Victorian Circus poster come to life, it oozes colour and collapses time, fabulous! Again Within You Without You I think is George's first great song, it gives the album a seriousness and thoughtfulness as well as a sense of peace. I also rate Good Morning, Good Morning much more highly than most, it drives along nicely, is an amazing use of speech rhythms and is a great slice of life as are a lot of Paul's story songs. As for a Day in the Life, well, its a masterpiece.

For me the album is sequenced so well I wouldn't think to put Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields into it. These are absolute classics and shows how the Beatles were on a roll in the Pepper period. But I think they fit well on the Magical Mystery Tour CD.
Keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:23 AM   #53
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I too dont really know how Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane would fit in the sequence, but its fun to think about. I once saw an actual Sgt Pepper cd that had them on there, but I dont quite remember where they were listed. I think they were just stuck at the end....

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:49 PM   #54
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

1. Song for song as a whole, or when looking for favorite tunes, Sgt Pepper may play second fiddle to other album(s) for many Beatles fans, both die hard, casual, and anywhere in between.

2. But for sheer importance in music history, innovation, an album perfectly representing a moment in time or an era, as well as being so influential that it's hard to actually measure... imitated, influenced by, adored by other musicians, timeless, instantly recognizeable sonically as well as revolutionary cover art, musical variety.... Sgt. Pepper has no equal.

Based on #1, Pepper it is not my favorite. I play Abbey Road more

On #2... there is not even reason for discussion imo.

Perhaps the original poster was using his/her version of my #1 above. On that note, have at it. But don't forget #2 when making blanket statements on a message board filled with modern Beatlemaniacs.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:00 AM   #55
Ispin
Fool On The Hill

Here's a bold statement from a "newbie" ... whoever thinks "Sgt. Pepper's" is overrated is an idiot and should be hung upside down on a remote deserted island listening to a continuous tape loop of this ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWOzUzJd6wM

The Sgt. Pepper album broke new ground ... period. Take a few minutes (out of your all too busy schedule ... but I already know you won't) to read and learn about it in Wikipedia. Then come back with your tail between your legs and apologize like the dirty "dawg" that you are.
Ispin is offline   Reply With Quote