BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Mar 22, 2004, 05:39 PM   #1
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Send a message via Yahoo to NaomiMcCartney
Default Question about Heather See

Has anybody heard anything about Pauls step daughter Heather See? (Lindas daughter) I hear about Pauls other kids every now and then, but nothing really much about his step daughter. [img]graemlins/thinker.gif[/img] I just was wondering that's all. [img]graemlins/wave2.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Mar 31, 2004, 12:33 PM: Message Edited By: NaomiMcCartney ][/size]
NaomiMcCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 05:53 PM   #2
EnchantingLennon
Dr. Robert

Default Re: Question about Heather See

Last I heard about Heather is that she lives on Paul's estate and that was in People magazine when they announced that Heather (the wife) was pregnant.

Heather (the wife) has mentioned Heather a few more times- in a 20/20 interview, she says that she talks to her almost everyday and is more closer to her. Also in the last Larry King interview, she corrected Larry that Paul has 4 children, not three.
EnchantingLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:11 PM   #3
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Her name's not Heather See, either...she's Heather McCartney. Paul legally adopted her when he married Linda.

Someone had asked about her on another list to which I belong, and I dug up some info about her and an interview with her from 1999. (This was before Paul's relationship with Heather (wife), or at least before it was public. I believe the housewares line they discuss here was a flop.) Here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/helenwheels_99/heather.html

Heather Louise Eastman See was born in December 31st, 1962, in Arizona, USA. She's Linda's daughter from her previous marriage to geologist Joseph Melvin See (aka as Mel). After her parents' divorce in 1965, Heather moved to NY with Linda.

Nowadays, Heather works as a ceramist. Her pottery art is well known throughout England. She's still single.

Some curiosities about Heather:

* Heather's natural father, Mel See, tragically commited suicide in 1999.

* When Linda married Paul in 1969, Heather was officially adopted as the couple's daughter (with previous consentment of Mel See). Her name changed to Heather Louise Eastman McCartney.

* Until Mel died, Heather called him "Poppa", while Paul was "Dad".

* The Sees marriage ended up when Mel wanted to move to Africa and take his family with him.

* Heather was into the punk rock movement in the late 70's and even dated punk rocker Billy Idol.

* When Heather moved to London in 1969, she had to face many problems, such as the bitterness of the press and the wrath of the "Apple Scruffs" against her mother, which couldn't be understood
by a 6-year old little girl, having to enter a new school where her classmates made fun of her American accent, and enduring a totally new lifestyle.

* While Linda worked as a photographer in NY, Heather usually have many celebrities baby-sitting for her, like Jimi Hendrix, and Jim
Morrison, among others.

* When she became interested in pottery, Heather even moved for a while to Mexico, to study the art of the Mexican Indians. She then lived with her father Mel See.

* After Linda died, Heather, who had already suffered from depression before, spent sometime at a London clinic to treat her problems.

http://www.jibboo.com/beatlekidsbb/_...s/0000017d.htm

Heather McCartney Interview!

From the Daily Mirror: This article first appeared in The Daily Telegraph.

MUM WAS ALWAYS THERE FOR ME THROUGH THE INSANITY OF LIFE. NOW THERE ARE DAYS WHEN I CAN'T GO OUT

Heather McCartney's resemblance to her mother is striking - the same stringy yellow hair, hawkish nose and square-edged forehead. Even her clothes could be Linda's - black jeans, desert boots and a sensible fleece.

But whereas Linda McCartney always had about her an air of confidence and defiance, Heather is hunched and nervy. A half-smoked roll-up - the first of many cigarettes over the next hour -
smoulders in the ashtray at her elbow.

Her eyes, rimmed with shaky liner, are watery with barely contained tears.

"You'll have to be patient with me. You'll have to help me here," she says, "because, each day, I don't know what I am going to be capable of.

"It sounds pathetic, but there are times when I can't pick up the phone, days when I can't get food in the house. I do what I can, but it is new ground for all of us."

It is ten months since Linda's death and, although the McCartneys are tight-knit and supportive of one another, Heather still feels an
aching void.

The others, while no less bereft, have immersed themselves in projects of new beginnings - Paul, for example, has absorbed himself in the animal rights issues that Linda promoted so vociferously, and Stella has hurled herself back into the world of high-profile couture.

Meanwhile, Mary the photographer daughter, has married and James is pursuing his music career.

Heather, the least public of the McCartney children, has always been the most emotionally closed.

"I have not talked to the people who are close to me, because they have known that I can't really deal with it," she says.

"My friends are very tolerant. They've said, 'We won't call you, but we're here if you need us, and you can knock on our door 24 hours a day'."

This year, she has decided, will be different.

In January, she finally emerged from a kind of self-imposed social purdah and flew to a trade fair in Atlanta, Georgia, to promote a designer collection of cushions, candles and other household goods that she has been working on for the past four years. Her father accompanied her for moral support.

I haven't known whether I can take my dog out each day, let alone stand there in front of all those people. But it had to be done," she says.

"And having my father there helped. I knew that if I felt overwhelmed, he would say, 'We've got to go now. Bye,' and he would get me out. He has always guided me like that. Protected me."

At 36, Heather has never quite broken away form the security cordon of her family - her home is a small cottage, only a couple of miles from the McCartney farm near Rye, East Sussex.

For our meeting, she chose an unassuming cafe off a Covent Garden side street in central London - it later transpires that it serves
food from the Linda McCartney cookbook. She has also brought along daddy's PR, who places a tape recorder on the table and helpfully shares his Marlboros with her when the roll-up tobacco runs out.

Heather may be the eldest of the McCartney offspring, but she is also clearly the most sensitive and fragile. Her voice wobbles
occasionally and she fidgets constantly with her turquoise and silver bangles.

Though Paul and Linda put great store by the "normal" life they provided for their children - raising them in the country, sending
them to state schools and letting them mix with ordinary people - Heather had a more complicated upbringing.

Her natural father is the American geologist Melville See - Linda's first husband - and her early years were spent in America.

That marriage lasted barely 18 months and, for almost four years, Linda raised Heather alone.

"She was a brilliant single mother - completely together," Heather recalls.

"She would get me to school, go and do a full day's work, get me back home, make sure I had eaten. I was very lucky that I got to be there at that part of her life."

Linda met Paul when her daughter was five. Their subsequent marriage meant that Heather not only had a new "father" - he adopted her soon afterwards - but that she also had to adjust to a new life in Britain.

It was undoubtedly an unsettling time. Within a couple of years, her half-sister Mary had been born; meanwhile Paul was going through the
break-up of the Beatles and Linda was being vilified for not being Jane Asher.

Heather adapted quickly to her new father, and remembers accompanying his new group, Wings, on tour wherever they went.

She never felt less than loved and cherished she says, but admits she had difficulties forming friendships with other children.

"I never actually fitted in. When I was at school, I was always the one who was standing back. I remember thinking: 'Those people over
there are doing that, and I am over here - and I don't know quite why.' We were moving round so much that I never settled in any school.

"There are a lot of gaps in my education. But I didn't feel isolated - I actually felt lucky. I was never told to behave in a certain way; I was just encouraged to be who I am."

She was 13 when the family finally settled in their Sussex homestead - perhaps too late for her to adjust to a conventional academic routine.

She did not do well at school ("I can't even spell," she says, shrugging), and unlike her high-achieving parents and more confident
sisters and brother, she had no idea what to do with her life.

She had various jobs - washing up in pubs, serving behind a night-club bar, working in a wildlife park - but she seemed to be drifting.

Finally, encouraged by her mother, she took up printing at the Photographers' Workshop in Covent Garden, and was talented enough to win the Young Black and White Printer of the Year award. Her success encouraged her to go on to art college, where she discovered a talent for pottery and design.

"It also gave me a time with normal people," she says, a touch wistfully.

In her early twenties, she had what was then described as a "personal identity crisis".

The facts are that she was admitted to a Sussex clinic, suffering from depression, but she refuses to elucidate any further.

Therapy helped, but the real turning point came a couple of years later when she travelled to Mexico on a whim, and spent several months living among natives of the Huichol and Tarahumara tribes.

"The first time I went down there, I had $200 in my pocket. My mum and dad didn't say, 'You're being taken care of here'. They allowed me to experience it for myself, and that was very important to me.

"I spent time with people who weren't interested in money. They didn't want the latest washing machine or television. They had nothing, but they were happy. They just wanted to be left alone and allowed me to be - and I could relate to that."

The experience was a kind of liberation. She returned inspired, and began work on new designs, beginning with a collection of pottery
that quickly had Wedgwood hailing her as "one of Britain's most exciting new talents".

Her latest work is a bold and brightly coloured range - called the Heather McCartney Housewares Collection - which she hopes to sell through major stores.

Even so, she lacks confidence: she barely talks about her new work and seems much more concerned about the environment, animal welfare, vegetarianism - all the things about which her mother cared so passionately. But above all, she just talks about Linda and her "true essence."

"We just want to keep it with us - none of us wants to dilute it."

Each of the McCartney children received a posthumous present from their mother to open on their first Christmas without her. Heather's
was an exquisite pot of Dame Lucie Rie, one of her favourite ceramicists.

"I think the biggest thing, the thing that is very hard, is that Mum was always there for me through the insanity of life," she says, fighting to control her tears.

"She would call, and suddenly I would think: 'Yes, everything is all right. Mum was very much like that - she kept everyone together.

"When people started missing the point and didn't know quite where they were, she could join the pieces back together. "It wasn't until
she died that I knew I would never again in my whole life meet another woman with the strengths that she had."

She sees her father frequently. Paul, she says, is showing a "huge amount of courage".

"He's doing everything that Mum did: he's doing it all. He gets up, he does his meditation, he cleans his vegetables for his evening meal and then he goes to work.

"When he comes home, he cooks, washes his own dishes, takes the dogs out."

As she talks, one has the strong impression that she remains somewhat in awe of her parents' relationship.

"I think relationships are very hard. My Mum and Dad were married 29 years, and I know it wasn't always easy. You have to work at it.

"I don't think anyone would share their life with me because I give people too much of a hard time. Maybe because I was originally a single child, I am very independent and stubborn.

"I stick with what I know because that gives me confidence, but it also means that anyone who comes into my life has to be very tolerant and very giving and generous. I'm very insecure, really, so I do all the wrong things.

"I get jealous at the wrong time. I don't normally wake up and put on my make-up. I don't really do the 'girl thing' and I think that's
very hard for men."

For all her advantages - adoring her parents, financial security, her evident creative talent - Heather remains very vulnerable.

Even her mother could not imbue her with the self-esteem that would appear to be her birthright.

I ask her why she is still so insecure, and there is a long pause.

"I think it's because there have been times when I've shown people what I am really like, and they've not been able to deal with it," she says eventually.

"And when that happens, it makes me question what it is about me that people can't cope with.

"But I'm through that now. I'm comfortable on my own.

"I don't need to be with other people - unless they actually feel they want to be with me."

[size="1"][ Mar 23, 2004, 05:08 AM: Message Edited By: HMVNipper ][/size]
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 03:41 AM   #4
Lynner

Perhaps Naomi wrote Heather See so that it would not be confused with Heather Mills McCartney.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 07:40 AM   #5
Magill
Sun King

Aww...my heart really goes out to Heather. [img]graemlins/sad1.gif[/img] She had such a closeness to Linda and even resembles her. I hope she's doing better now.
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 07:42 AM   #6
Magill
Sun King

Aww...my heart really goes out to Heather. [img]graemlins/sad1.gif[/img] She had such a closeness to Linda and even resembles her. I hope she's doing better now.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 08:15 AM   #7
beatlelover45223

I hope that times are better for this young McCartney girl, she probably had the hardest time of all the kids, you always need your Mom, I know, and thank goodness for me, mine is till here.
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 08:31 AM   #8
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

[img]graemlins/flower2.gif[/img] Yes that's why I did type in Heather See, but also, I didn't know she changed it legaly to McCartney after Paul adopted her. Not everyone knows everything about everyone. I feel bad for her losing her mother, and then losing her birth father the next year. Poor girl. [img]graemlins/sad1.gif[/img]
Old Mar 23, 2004, 09:16 AM   #9
Magill
Sun King

I don't know if this is true, but I had read that in his note Joseph had been so distraught over Linda's death (also battling depression) and never stopped loving her. He was so haunted by Linda's memory, he just decided to end it. [img]graemlins/cry2.gif[/img] Like I said, I don't know if this is true or not, but yeah. To lose your Mom and Dad so tragically like that must've been been so hard for her to deal with. I feel so bad for Heather. I really hope she finds happiness, if she hasn't already. I think she's way overdue!
Old Mar 23, 2004, 09:32 AM   #10
AnyRoad69
Banned

she is born 1963 not 1962
to find The Ultimate Beatles Encyclopedia by Bill Harry in the Book
AnyRoad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 02:19 PM   #11
EnchantingLennon
Dr. Robert

No, she was born in 1962. Danny Fields, who was Linda's good friend, confirmed it.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 01:20 AM   #12
AnyRoad69
Banned

i read many biography's to stand 1963
Old Mar 24, 2004, 03:02 AM   #13
TeoTorriate
Day Tripper

Yes it's 1963...I thought it would be funny if her and Julian hooked up...Hmmmm...
TeoTorriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 03:39 AM   #14
maybebaby
Rocky Raccoon

I'm with EnchantingLennon on the date of Heather's birth!

BTW It's unfortunately not the only mistake in Bill Harry's book!

[size="1"][ Mar 24, 2004, 04:40 AM: Message Edited By: maybebaby ][/size]
maybebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 05:49 AM   #15
EnchantingLennon
Dr. Robert

Bill Harry isn't the one to trust for on dates. He has everyone mixed up about Lee's birthday- November 11/17th (it's the 11th).
Old Mar 24, 2004, 06:16 AM   #16
AnyRoad69
Banned

May be correct, but stands here 1963 and these data are investigates
Dateline
Old Mar 24, 2004, 08:16 AM   #17
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

[img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] What is this, a contest to see who has the right year for Heathers birth! It sounds like a new topic idea! [img]graemlins/laugh5.gif[/img] Topic would ask, which year was Heather( See) McCartney born in? [img]graemlins/laugh4.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Mar 24, 2004, 09:24 AM: Message Edited By: NaomiMcCartney ][/size]
Old Mar 24, 2004, 03:45 PM   #18
TeoTorriate
Day Tripper

Well I do have Bill Harry's book and it is awfully full of mistakes...I still think it's '63 though [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
TeoTorriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 08:42 PM   #19
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

This is very interesting. I liked the part in "Let it Be" when Paul played with Heather. He was such a natural as a dad that it was heart warming.

I read that the Jojo in the song "Get Back," was Heather's natural dad "Jojo left his home in Tucson Arizona for some California grass."

Thank you for sharing this article. It's always nice to see updates.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote