BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Dec 18, 2010, 04:21 AM   #1
mariposa
Little Child

Default Did your parents like the Beatles?

Or were they critical?

I was born in 1965 and my parents were huge Beatle fans when I was growing up. In fact, my mother was one of the screaming girls in the audience at their first Ed Sullivan show.

But my father was an even bigger fan, which might be surprising considering that he was a career military officer. He didn't like the drugs and the politics, but I remember him saying to me that those things had nothing to do with the music. Which was why he thought all the hoopla over John's "Jesus remark" was ridiculous.
mariposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 04:56 AM   #2
flying_cupcake61842
Bulldog

My parents are huge Beatles fans, they're the ones who introduced me to the Beatles. I think I'm now a bigger fan than they are, though.

I have a very high EQ—something, like, 3,000 hertz. If I think too hard, my brain hertz.
~George Harrison~

Cassandra
flying_cupcake61842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 05:27 AM   #3
Badgirl66
Banned

Are here Fans from 1966 was burning his Records??

When Yes Stupid American Idiots
Badgirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:23 AM   #4
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

My mom [who was about 14 when Beatlemania hit] is a fanatic like me, and lucky for her, both of her parents actually loved them too! :D
BeatleNut9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:45 AM   #5
LetThereBeMusic
Bulldog

Neither of my parents were born then, but my grandparent were. I don't get to talk to them much though.

My dad despises John Lennon, but he accepts that I like him and even pointed out a t-shirt with him on it. So I suppose after our dispute, all is forgiven.

My mom likes all the 'greats', like Elvis , Rolling Stones, etc. The Beatles are just another band to her.
But they both go along with my obsession, so it's fine with me =D

On the day the wall came down, The Ship of Fools had finally run aground...
Promises lit up the night, like paper doves in flight...
[/center]
LetThereBeMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:57 AM   #6
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Thanks to me, my family has taken a direct Beatles' hit. I've made fans out of some relatives and others, well, let's just say they at least appreciate the Beatles. One relative told me, "Thanks to you I'm a Beatles' expert by default. I didn't set out to be one, but you've made me one."

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 01:58 PM   #7
flying_cupcake61842
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeMusic View Post
Neither of my parents were born then, but my grandparent were. I don't get to talk to them much though.

My dad despises John Lennon, but he accepts that I like him and even pointed out a t-shirt with him on it. So I suppose after our dispute, all is forgiven.

My mom likes all the 'greats', like Elvis , Rolling Stones, etc. The Beatles are just another band to her.
But they both go along with my obsession, so it's fine with me =D
That's kind of like my family—my dad doesn't really like John Lennon and my mom liked a bunch of bands, except the Beatles were her favorite band.

I have a very high EQ—something, like, 3,000 hertz. If I think too hard, my brain hertz.
~George Harrison~

Cassandra
flying_cupcake61842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:12 PM   #8
kayinthelife
Sgt. Pepper

My parents played oldies music and ONLY oldies music on the radio ever since I was can remember (and I can only remember about 8 years) so they introduced me to the Beatles.
Make 'em feel okay

ROCKIN!

I'm certainly guilty at times of being lazy.
kayinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 03:28 PM   #9
Maia 66
Sun King

My parents were in their 30s when Beatlemania (and I) were born. My mom was into pop music, so of course she liked the boys... but she was not a super fan or anything. Her favorite song was Michelle... and she used to sing us Here Comes the Sun when we didn't want to get out of bed on Saturday mornings.

The only Beatles song my dad can name is I Want to Hold Your Hand! He remembers them from Ed Sullivan and doesn't really have any idea what happened to them after that!

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 03:29 PM   #10
the ninth walrus
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via Yahoo to the ninth walrus

both of mine are
(thoug not as big as fans as me i know odd right)

there's nothing like an afternoon of drinking homemade butter milk and listing to old music.

sǝɯıʇ ʇɐ ǝɟıl

me i'm part Irish
the ninth walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:12 AM   #11
OzBeatleFan
Apple Scruff

My mother was mainly into Country and Western music, even though she went to a Beatles concert in 64. Didn't impress her much , however, she did admit to me a couple of years ago that she had a favourite Beatle and that was George! I guess it runs in the family!!

"Rock on George for Ringo one time"

Last edited by OzBeatleFan : Dec 19, 2010 at 03:13 AM.
OzBeatleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:24 AM   #12
mariposa
Little Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBeatleFan View Post
My mother was mainly into Country and Western music, even though she went to a Beatles concert in 64.
I vaguely remember seeing an interview (I think it was George, but I could be mistaken) where it was revealed that the Beatles were all fans of country music.
mariposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:24 AM   #13
jackieburgundy
Little Child

I was born in 1968, so of course I had no consciousness of the Beatles while they were together, but I was encouraged to love them by my mother & my sister. My mom has said that when I was three and starting to like (gulp) Grandpa Jones & Sonny & Cher, she introduced the Beatles to me to steer me in the right direction :) My three year old loves the Beatles, too, and can identify all of them except George. He also astutely commented one day, "John is quiet". I didn't want to tell him that George was actually the "quiet one", but I was proud nonetheless!!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 08:22 AM   #14
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Ringo liked country and his covers of "What Goes On" and "Act Naturally" are country-rock.

A Beatles' concert in 1964! Talk about lucky!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:37 AM   #15
Kaye.Lennon
Mr. Moonlight

I don't think my parents were really Beatles fans until I started listening to them. (My mom was born in '63 and my dad in '64.) My mom likes the Beatles, meaning she doesn't mind listening to them, while my dad doesn't really care for them. I wish they would have been Beatles fans, though, so I could have been introduced to the Beatles earlier.

♥Kaye
Kaye.Lennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:52 AM   #16
kayinthelife
Sgt. Pepper

My parents were born in the early 60's, which means by the time they were my age the Beatles had broken up.
Make 'em feel okay

ROCKIN!

I'm certainly guilty at times of being lazy.
kayinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:12 PM   #17
thebeatlesgirl14
Nowhere Man

Yeah my parents were beatles fans...they were both born in 1964 and I'm 15...they introduced me to the beatles when I was very little. and I'm bigger fans of the beatles than they are. My entire family tells me to shut up about them cuz every conversation we have I always end up talking about the beatles in it lol ;) and when they say that, I say "well at least I don't have 'bieber fever.'" lol
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:26 AM   #18
Hari's Chick

My Mom and Dad had more concervative taste in music and weren't really Beatles fans. Mom liked the easy listening vocalists and Dad liked classical and some Johnny Cash/Marty Robbins. They soon grew to know a lot about the Beatles though.

Dad would take me out looking for records and Beatles memoribilia in Hollywood, while he looked at record shops for his classical records. We had great fun. Mom never minded when I would play the Fabs at home or in the car. She grew to really, really love George as a person. She really loved George a lot, respected him... she took me to England and we took a picture together outside Friar Park.

Even though Mom had/has alzheimers, and even though she forgets many friends and relatives... she will still most often remember George. When I update her on Dhani mostly, I will ask her, "do you remember Dhani, George's boy?" and she will remember. I think that speaks a lot to how much George meant to her.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:37 AM   #19
Mr.Mustard
Apple Scruff

My Mom thought they were pretty good, but didn't like there "long" hair. My Dad thought they were a joke & would be forgotten in 6 months. I was 11 in 1964 & He used to tell me by the time I became a teenager I'd look back on this passing fad & wonder what all the fuss was about. My Stepdad thought they were nothing more than a sick joke that were going to take boys & turn them into "queers" ( his words) with the long hair & music.
Mr.Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:52 AM   #20
AeolianCadence
Wild Honey Pie

Nope, my parents were and still are pretty much clueless about the Beatles. Once my kids asked if they could name the Beatles and my dad was like, "Well, there was that one who got shot ... he was married to that Japanese woman ... Lennon, was it?"
AeolianCadence is offline   Reply With Quote