BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:16 PM   #1
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Default Is Paul McCartney Too Old to Perform?

I saw this on Fox News Chicago. This Neil Steinberg has never seen Paul McCartney in concert. So, who is he to say that Paul is too old to perform?! Email your comments to him: nsteinberg@suntimes.com

Is Paul McCartney Too Old to Perform?
Updated: Tuesday, 14 Dec 2010, 9:58 PM CST
Published : Tuesday, 14 Dec 2010, 9:47 PM CST

FOX Chicago News

Paul McCartney performed last weekend on "Saturday Night Live" and there's been some chat about how he looked and sounded.

He's 68 years old... and we all know age does things to your body.

But after this show, some people are saying McCartney is too old to be doing this. We talked about it live with Neil Steinberg of the Sun-Times.

Watch this and then reply:
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news...o-old-20101214

Last edited by I am the Paulrus : Dec 14, 2010 at 07:25 PM.
I am the Paulrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:32 PM   #2
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

OOH...I am a very nice person, but don't mess with my boys! "I've got a feeling" he's going to receive some comments from me in his inbox if I can put my fury into words, lol! His voice may have sounded a little exhausted on SNL [though still perfection to my ears] but last night at the Apollo, he was golden all over again. I've seen Paul 5 times, the last time being only last year, and he BY NO MEANS should be retiring, in my opinion! Luckily, Paul says he never will, so it doesn't matter anyway...

Thank you for sharing this and his email address. I don't understand the world's obsession with always trying to dethrone the Beatles! Goodness...
BeatleNut9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:03 PM   #3
AeolianCadence
Wild Honey Pie

I haven't watched the video yet (husband sleeping next to me; don't want to wake him), but no, Paul is not too old to perform. I wouldn't say his performances on SNL showed him to best effect, but there are still moments when "young Paul" flashes across his face and it's just a wonder to behold. KWIM?

ETA: Yay, I've been promoted to Day Tripper. Which I had a blast singing along with Paul earlier this summer. I love that harmony on "sooooooooo long."

Last edited by AeolianCadence : Dec 14, 2010 at 09:05 PM.
AeolianCadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:59 PM   #4
beatlelover45223

Lightbulb

I noticed Paul's band/vocalists singing were off key, their volume seemed to be set lower than Paul's, they were not loud enough for the background vocals with Paul, Paul's voice cracked a couple of times, so what, that happens to all singers, he has been all over US t.v. lately, he has been rehearsing a lot knowing Paul.... Too the author of the article, you just wish you had a teeny bit of Paul's talent!

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:44 PM   #5
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Yeah, right... Paul's too old to tour...

... with the likes of Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Bo Diddley (RIP) touring well into their 70's and 80's...

Define "too old" to tour ?

As long as an artist does not start forgetting his lyrics (like Sinatra did in his last couple of years), fumbling for the notes on his instrument, or pooping on stage...

If Paul, or anyone else, started playing even a little lousy, word would get arround, and he would no longer be able to fill big venues at high prices...

At worst, they may one day come a point where he would look a little out of place doing a song like, say, "Helter Skelter" (but by no means then confine himself only to "Yesterday" like songs)

Last edited by ABCKO : Dec 14, 2010 at 11:51 PM.
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 01:38 AM   #6
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

I haven't seen the SNL stuff yet but I have seen Paul play on stage for up to 3 hours at a time and NO he is not too old. In fact he appears to be higher energy now than he was back during the tour when I first saw him in 2003.

So there.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:25 AM   #7
Serena

Just set him up with some intermissions from auto-tune. Sure it may defeat the purpose of a 'live show' but better than losing him all together right? Then again, who needs talent anymore in this age anyway?

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 04:26 AM   #8
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

I don't think he's too old to perform but certainly think his age is down to why he's doing his last ever World Tour (as opposed to stopping playing live completely).

www.metaltalk.net for Daily Metal News, Reviews and Opinions
johnnymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:24 AM   #9
hibgal
Sun King

I really don't get this. Isn't it PAUL who decides when it's time to retire? Last I heard he didn't have to ask this Neil Steinberg for permission on how to live his life.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:50 AM   #10
Badgirl66
Banned

not he is old his voice
Badgirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:22 AM   #11
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
I really don't get this. Isn't it PAUL who decides when it's time to retire? Last I heard he didn't have to ask this Neil Steinberg for permission on how to live his life.
Precisely. I get so tired of self-important youngsters telling older people they should retire or otherwise quit doing things they enjoy because THEY think it's time for them to stop. Neil, if you think Paul's too old and you don't enjoy him anymore, then please, by all means, just don't go see him. Nobody's holding a gun to your head, forcing you to attend shows by older musicians.

This is a hot button for me in general though, since I get told CONSTANTLY that I should quit doing this thing or that thing that I enjoy because I'm "too old" or it's "not dignified for someone of your age" (since when do I want to be DIGNIFIED, for god's sake?!). Apparently, everybody under about 35 wants to put people my age out to pasture and thinks all we're capable of is sitting in a lounge chair watching television. Screw that. And I'm glad Paul agrees.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:31 AM   #12
AeolianCadence
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCKO View Post
At worst, they may one day come a point where he would look a little out of place doing a song like, say, "Helter Skelter" (but by no means then confine himself only to "Yesterday" like songs)
Funnily enough, I think he pulls off the rockers like "Helter Skelter" more convincingly than the down-tempo numbers where the voice itself is the thing. He's still a fine interpreter, of course, but there's no denying the voice isn't what it was. Still adore him and would pay $$$ to see him again.

I finally watched the clip and felt total sympathy for the interviewer, who clearly disagreed strongly with his obnoxious, ill-informed guest but was doing his best to remain diplomatic. It's true that if this was the only time you'd heard Paul singing in the past five years -- which evidently was the case for Mr. Steinberg -- you might reasonably conclude that he no longer "has it." But we all know that isn't the case. (And it didn't help that Steinberg was so very abrasive. For me, the most off-putting part was his repeated assertion that he was merely relaying what all of Chicago had told him. By the way, I followed the link to his columnist page and didn't see any columns about Paul on SNL, which led me to wonder why all of Chicago was e-mailing him about Paul's supposed has-been status.)

Last edited by AeolianCadence : Dec 15, 2010 at 06:51 AM. Reason: finally watched the clip in question and felt compelled to comment
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:12 AM   #13
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

If this SOB is going to complain about Paul performing at his age, then he'll be wining about Ringo, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Bob Dylan, and Robert Plant, etc. performing because of their ages. They are doing just fine, thank you, Mr.Steinberg!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:52 AM   #14
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

Everyone here has got it right! Leave him alone, Neil!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:29 AM   #15
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianCadence View Post
he was merely relaying what all of Chicago had told him.
I don't think he checked in with me or Paulrus. LOL
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:17 PM   #16
AeolianCadence
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post
I don't think he checked in with me or Paulrus. LOL
Well, now you know he's the spokesman for the Windy City, you'll know where to send your e-mails. : D
Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:11 AM   #17
maribeatlecrazy
Nowhere Man

Well, if the guy thinks so... what can we do?

I just ask myself one question: why is it only Paul that people almost beg to retire? Why not Bob Dylan, Pete Townshed, Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones or even Ringo?

Take a sad song and make it better =)

maribeatlecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:20 AM   #18
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maribeatlecrazy View Post

I just ask myself one question: why is it only Paul that people almost beg to retire? Why not Bob Dylan, Pete Townshed, Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones or even Ringo?
I've even heard Paul himself talk about how irritating it is. He said that every time he tours, it comes out that it's his last, but he says never to believe it because he'll never stop. THANK YOU, GOD! :]
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:28 PM   #19
AeolianCadence
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maribeatlecrazy View Post

Oh, people make jokes about the Stones being too old all the time. And if you think this guy was harsh on Paul, just think back to the reaction to The Who's Super Bowl halftime performance earlier this year.

I really haven't heard a lot of people saying Paul's too old. When he came to my town, I heard a bunch of people saying "what, is he still around?" but no one out-and-out asserting that he needed to get out of the way and give some up-and-coming stars a chance. Far more often, people talk about how vibrant and engaging Paul still is. I'm not sure why this Steinberg guy was invited on the news; I assumed he'd written a controversial column that lots of people in Chicago were talking about. But I didn't see anything like that on his newspaper's website (granted, I didn't look too hard).

And to be fair, I didn't think Paul's band sounded as tight as usual on SNL. As I said, if this was the only Paul performance you saw in the past five years, you might have reached the same conclusion as this columnist. (But I'd hope you would have actually heard him play live before you went on television and proclaimed his career over.)
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:19 AM   #20
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Only Paul would know if Paul was too old to perform. This is just plain madness!

I saw Paul last year and he commanded that stage for over 3.5 hours. When I saw and heard Paul doing his sound check and his "pre-concert concert," it was a bonus concert. Paul had the whole damn place rocking!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote