BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Dec 21, 2010, 09:48 AM   #1
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

Default Conservation

What are some of the things you all do at home, work, etc. to conserve energy, materials or resources? Here are just a few of the countless things I do.

1) Timer on my hot water tank.
2) Our computer at work prints countless reports. I flip the paper over and use both sides.
3) A reusable tote bag at the grocery store, or do not take bags for 1 or 2 items.
4) Recently upgraded to a more energy efficient air conditioner. And here in Phoenix, WE USE AIR CONDITIONING A LOT!
5) As old light bulbs burn out, I'm replacing them with CFL bulbs. Switched my Christmas lights to new super efficient LED's.
www.americanpatrol.com[/color]

Last edited by darkhorse23 : Dec 21, 2010 at 09:56 AM.
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Serena

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse23 View Post
What are some of the things you all do at home, work, etc. to conserve energy, materials or resources? Here are just a few of the countless things I do.

1) Timer on my hot water tank.
2) Our computer at work prints countless reports. I flip the paper over and use both sides.
3) A reusable tote bag at the grocery store, or do not take bags for 1 or 2 items.
4) Recently upgraded to a more energy efficient air conditioner. And here in Phoenix, WE USE AIR CONDITIONING A LOT!
5) As old light bulbs burn out, I'm replacing them with CFL bulbs. Switched my Christmas lights to new super efficient LED's.
Nothing. As George Carlin says, the planet has been here much much longer than us and has been through much much worse. Canvas bags and recycling cans won't make much of a difference. The Earth is a self-corrected system that continue to heal and cleanse itself long after we're gone.

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:38 PM   #3
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

I try not to fart too much.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:49 PM   #4
far_east_man
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Nothing. As George Carlin says, the planet has been here much much longer than us and has been through much much worse. Canvas bags and recycling cans won't make much of a difference. The Earth is a self-corrected system that continue to heal and cleanse itself long after we're gone.
Let's hope scientists and engineers studying things like global warming and our oil reserves are as smart as George Carlin was.
far_east_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:15 AM   #5
Beatle4
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New AimeeAndBeatles View Post
In that case, I will eat more beef so we can get rid of those planet killing fart machines.LOL
Beatle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:26 AM   #6
Serena

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_east_man View Post
Let's hope scientists and engineers studying things like global warming and our oil reserves are as smart as George Carlin was.
That's the point, this is not the first time the planet undergone global warming. It has been through and survived many stages of heating and freezing long before humans have arrived. There really is no certainty from scientists that humans are the main cause to the most recent warming, easy enough to blame anthropogenic modernization after about two hundred years of heavy industrial emissions, but somehow after four and a half billion years it still manged to survive numerous earthquakes, floods, heatings, ice ages, volcanoes, meteoroid collision and so forth. It is a self-correcting system that will continue to heal itself even without our help. But frantically 'going green' is not really going to make much of a difference now especially if the temperature is estimated to go up only one percent by 2055.

Besides people are really only interested in making a better and more comfortable environment for themselves, they don't give a shit about the planet itself. Oil reserves, are we still using these? Then again is always full of surprises, it may continue to reproduce more as well.

Old Dec 22, 2010, 05:14 AM   #7
hibgal
Sun King

There are more reasons for energy conservation than global warming! Switching to renewable energy sources and reducing our carbon footprint is for our common good NOW and never mind climate changes. Let's face it: We are more people sharing the Earth than ever before in it's history. We need to take care of our planet, not waste it. With 1/4 of the globe's population starving it's time for those of us living in affluent parts to pull our socks up and do our part. As it is now we're contributing to their misery by our spending of their resources.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:02 AM   #8
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

What do I personally do? Well, I recycle everything that I can (luckily, my building makes it easy, there are recycle bins right down the hall), I take public transportation to work and I drive a small, energy efficient car on the weekends. I try to remember to take my reuseable bags to the grocery store, but inevitably, I get there and they're still sitting on my desk at home. I do use the grocery bags for garbage bags though, so that's something, I guess. I'm not militant about it, but I do try not to waste things.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:10 AM   #9
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

http://flood.firetree.net/
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:14 AM   #10
kayinthelife
Sgt. Pepper

I'm doing my science fair project on whether greywater can be used to water plants and keep them healthy.
Make 'em feel okay

ROCKIN!

I'm certainly guilty at times of being lazy.
kayinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:20 AM   #11
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayinthelife View Post
I'm doing my science fair project on whether greywater can be used to water plants and keep them healthy.
If you want the answer, it's yes. I know a guy in Florida who does that all the time with wastewater from the washing machine, particularly in summer during water shortages. Depending on dilution, I may be a little more hesitant with water from dish washers due to the composition of machine wash detergent. But otherwise it's okay.

Forgot to ask, what plants are you trying to grow?

It always happens when
Who don't pretend

Last edited by hibgal : Dec 22, 2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:46 AM   #12
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

Quote:
That's the point, this is not the first time the planet undergone global warming. It has been through and survived many stages of heating and freezing long before humans have arrived. There really is no certainty from scientists that humans are the main cause to the most recent warming, easy enough to blame anthropogenic modernization after about two hundred years of heavy industrial emissions, but somehow after four and a half billion years it still manged to survive numerous earthquakes, floods, heatings, ice ages, volcanoes, meteoroid collision and so forth. It is a self-correcting system that will continue to heal itself even without our help. But frantically 'going green' is not really going to make much of a difference now especially if the temperature is estimated to go up only one percent by 2055.

Besides people are really only interested in making a better and more comfortable environment for themselves, they don't give a shit about the planet itself. Oil reserves, are we still using these? Then again is always full of surprises, it may continue to reproduce more as well.
I agree with the first paragraph. Even though there does seem to be proof global warming is happening, I am not so quick as to blame man. As you noted, we've had ice ages, meteor impacts and the like, and yes, the planet and it's inhabitants evolve.

I totally disagree with your 2nd paragraph. I know most of my friends and neighbors DO care. I am not so selfish as to recycle or use less just so I can have an easier life. Must suck to be that selfish and feel that way.
www.americanpatrol.com[/color]
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:53 AM   #13
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Well the main way I convinced my mom to buy some more re-usable bags was by showing her how easily the plastic bags broke. We had about 2 already and I took some heavy things and put them in and showed her that the plastic ones would break faster.

Last edited by The New AimeeAndBeatles : Dec 22, 2010 at 06:54 AM.
The New AimeeAndBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:04 AM   #14
Legs
Sun King

Not that much I admit, except for chaning the light bulbs to Led's.
Recycling has became an habit. It's relativly easy to seperate paper, glass, and now also plastic among other things. And apart from trying to turn things of when they are no longer in use, not much else.

I am a bit sceptical about all these experts claiming all different things. But, and I agree with hib, at the same time it won't hurt to look for different energy sources then the traditional ones like gas and oil. They won't last forever, and another conflict between the Ukraine and Rusland and half of Europe has a gas shortage again. Tho there is an Rusland friendly goverment in the Ukraine now, but you never know.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:07 PM   #15
hibgal
Sun King

What do I do personally? Well, for one thing we tossed out the big oil tank and converted our furnace to burning pellets made from recycled paper. A shower-head that conserves water and a toilet that uses less to flush, plus recycled unbleached bathroom tissue of course, since we still use that! Do full loads od laundry and hang dry when possible. Bringing my own bags to the store and sort for recycling we've done for almost two decades now. Buy food produced nearby when possible. Combine shopping trips with other activities for less driving. Since we're out in the countryside and the busses are far between public transportation is rarely an option. Actually turning off electric appliances by unplugging them. You'd be surprised how much energy your computer or tv pulls when on standby.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Dec 22, 2010, 02:38 PM   #16
feelfab
Dr. Robert

Quote:
I love George Carlin, but I disagree with him on this one---and who knows if he really meant it. Anyway...
Regardless of whether climate change is a result of people or not, it is real, and it will make things difficult in the future. The earth will go on, but will it be an environment that people can survive in? Just because something is due to nature doesn't mean we shouldn't attempt to soften the consequences. We build earthquake proof buildings, storm shelters, etc. all in response to natural phenomena. So we should attempt to reduce the effects of global warming and climate change. And pollution is most definitely a by-product of humans.
Organic farming, buying locally produced products, recycling, energy efficiency all contribute to the well-being of the planet. It seems common sense to waste less, and don't make garbage that we can't get rid of or re-use somehow.

Last edited by feelfab : Dec 22, 2010 at 02:39 PM.
feelfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 07:00 PM   #17
Serena

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse23 View Post
I agree with the first paragraph. Even though there does seem to be proof global warming is happening, I am not so quick as to blame man. As you noted, we've had ice ages, meteor impacts and the like, and yes, the planet and it's inhabitants evolve.

I totally disagree with your 2nd paragraph. I know most of my friends and neighbors DO care. I am not so selfish as to recycle or use less just so I can have an easier life. Must suck to be that selfish and feel that way.
But why would anyone care what will happen to the planet if we aren't living on it? All the other planets are not our concern because we are not living on them and they are out of our reach. To soften the blow of natural eradication really concerns us and our comfort more than the planet itself. What happens, happens and the Earth will continue its cycle of self-recuperation when we are gone. Most of these expensive products for 'going green' are really just marketing schemes and contribute very little to solution. I am not denying climate change, I just don't see it as a huge threat to humanity at least for another several hundred to thousands of years from now. But its not much of a threat to the Earth, it's going through another one of its natural cycles. The fate of the Earth is really determined by the sun, which could annihilate anytime between now and twenty billion years. Maybe its the sun we should be looking after more, then again it too ages and dies off.

I am concerned with the conservation of trees and wildlife, but the best thing to do is to just leave them alone and let nature take its course.

Old Dec 22, 2010, 07:27 PM   #18
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

When I need a blank sheet of paper, I take it out of the printer instead of printing a blank page. This saves electricity.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 04:03 AM   #19
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
I am concerned with the conservation of trees and wildlife, but the best thing to do is to just leave them alone and let nature take its course.
Except that they're NOT left alone! Flora and fauna are going extinct in a unprecedented rate and the root cause is humanity. It's not climate change that's turning the Sargasso Sea into a floating garbage dump and endangering the lives of animals living there. It's not global warming that brought the big cats to the near extinction. Three years ago more than 16,300 species were on the brink of extinction and at that point the total number of KNOWN recently extinct species reached 785, with another 65 species only found in captivity. Link to article. That's just a partial list since we don't even know how many species there are on Earth. Don't talk to me about humans leaving nature alone!

It always happens when
Who don't pretend