BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:39 PM   #241
flying_cupcake61842
Bulldog

What some people just don't seem to get about autism is that having autism is just a part of a person, like being a good artist or a terrible swimmer. If I'm describing my best friend and I say she's excellent at cooking, gets fantastic grades, and loves animals, the person whom I'm talking to has good images of her. But then if I mention she has autism, the person empties out all the good things I said about my friend and only thinks about the part about autism. Someone with autism doesn't spend every moment of their life thinking about their disability, they have other aspects of their life, too.

I have a very high EQ—something, like, 3,000 hertz. If I think too hard, my brain hertz.
~George Harrison~

Cassandra
flying_cupcake61842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2010, 06:35 PM   #242
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Cupcake, I am raising my glass to your post.

It is a damn crying shame that people often discredit, discount and dismiss a person and their abilities and good qualities the minute they learn that the person has autism. You said it far better than I ever could have. I will continue to bang on the drum on behalf of all people on the spectrum.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:07 AM   #243
VersusBatman
Sun King

I have a question for those on the spectrum: Do metaphors and similes confuse you?

My son has a hard time with those as well as sarcasm.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:56 PM   #244
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersusBatman View Post
I have a question for those on the spectrum: Do metaphors and similes confuse you?

Metaphors sometimes do because I think they mean it literally but Ive got some of them figured out. Similes not so much.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:06 PM   #245
feelfab
Dr. Robert

Amazing thread, wonderful. I posted last year here, thanking you all. And I say it again, thank you all. We have a grandson with autism, and I'm fascinated by these posts, and much more importantly, learning.
Aren't people great?
feelfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:32 PM   #246
VersusBatman
Sun King

Yes they are. How is your grandson? My son is eleven.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:32 AM   #247
beatlebangs1964

Each person is different. I know an adult with Asperger's who credits an excellent English teacher with making clear the difference between similes and metaphors.

Many people I know with AS use similes and metaphors quite well. I think it is more of a question of reading what people's intentions are and gauging from their tone the context that proves problematic for many Aspies.

I once knew a 9-year-old Aspie who hated sarcasm and was quick to recognize it in most cases. In fact, the child was often the brunt of sarcastic comments and would say, "I hate it when you're sarcastic" and "I hate sarcasm."

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Dec 18, 2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:33 AM   #248
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

What I have trouble with sometimes, I dont remember the names of that, but phrases like "pull your socks up." I remember being confused because my socks were pulled up.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:35 AM   #249
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

By the way, I found this in a TPATH newsletter (May 1995). Middle column. Quite cool

Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:03 PM   #250
feelfab
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Yes they are. How is your grandson? My son is eleven.
He's eight. He's getting better about using speech. He barely spoke at all a couple of years ago, but through different therapy and lots of work, he uses words more. A big battle is getting him proper nutrition as he is very particular and only eats a very few things. They do a lot of super-juice supplements, sneak vitamins and mineral into his foods just to maintain good growth and health-- tricks like that. Progress is there so that's positive.
Part of his school day is with 'mainstream' kids, and part is in special ed type things and his teacher last year had a terrific program in the classroom: as a reward for good work or behavior, the mainstream kids would get to be 'helpers' for the kids with special needs. What a cool way to build acceptance and a positive attitude towards the kids who weren't exactly like most of the others. And the kids all loved it!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:52 AM   #251
VersusBatman
Sun King

My son goes to a speech therapist and a special ed teacher a few times a week. In the past, he's had difficulties doing schoolwork. We recently found out it's because of sensory overload. The different commotions no matter how soft, made it hard for him to think. So we arrange it for him to go to his special ed class by himself if the noise gets to him. It seems to work for him.

Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:10 PM   #252
feelfab
Dr. Robert

Thanks, I'll pass that along.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 03:17 PM   #253
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:

I'm not on the spectrum myself but... I've noticed that literal-minded people, which many on the spectrum are although not limited to them, find figures of speech (metaphors, similes, idioms etc.) difficult to comprehend. They're really shorthand to express a though in several dimensions at once.

Sarcasm and irony rely a lot on intonation and facial expressions so I'm not surprised your son have difficulty with that, VB. One of the reason to look people in the eye, difficult for some, I know, is just to determine whether the speaker is serious or not. For those not on the spectrum, the Net can serve as an example. The written word often lacks those subtle nuances so it's easy to misunderstand a comment made in jest to be seriously meant. That's why we have these tiny little symbols. ->

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 03:36 PM   #254
LetThereBeMusic
Bulldog

I've known many people with Autism, and each of them have been able to function normally. In fact, each of them has something that they are complete whizzes at, such as one man I knew. Anything at all about baseball, what year, batting averages, who won, anything at all.
So, I think people with these 'disabilities' make up for it with extreme talent in other areas. When I was in grade school, we had a class for people with Autism and I was often chosen to go and visit them. Many of them could do something that many people couldn't...

And I might add that Albert Einstein and Sir Issac Newton themselves may very well have had Autism, and are regarded as geniuses by many, if not all, people.

On the day the wall came down, The Ship of Fools had finally run aground...
Promises lit up the night, like paper doves in flight...
[/center]

Last edited by LetThereBeMusic : Dec 22, 2010 at 03:39 PM.
LetThereBeMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:42 PM   #255
beatlebangs1964

Not all people with autism have special talents and less than 10% of people with autism fall into the savant category. Dr. Darold Treffert is a leading expert on savantism.

Many people with autism who are higher-functioning and Aspies often have special interest. It is not surprising that many people on the spectrum have the Beatles as special interests.

Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:47 PM   #256
LetThereBeMusic
Bulldog

I wasn't saying that they all have a special talent, just the people I have met in my own life.

And that's interesting :D

On the day the wall came down, The Ship of Fools had finally run aground...
Promises lit up the night, like paper doves in flight...
[/center]
LetThereBeMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:49 PM   #257
beatlebangs1964

It is.

I have seen some good movies about people with autism like "Miracle Run." The book is excellent too.

Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:50 AM   #258
mariposa
Little Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
Autism is something people have. It is NOT what they are.

From what you said, the meds aren't working for you. Is there a way you can get out of taking them at all?
beatlebangs, I'm sure you mean well, but unless you are a qualified professional you should not be dispensing this sort of advice, nor should you even be making the suggestion. You have no idea what these medications were intended to do, nor why they were diagnosed. To suggest that a person try to "get out of taking them" is extremely irresponsible.

And I believe that many autistic/Asperger's people have themselves noted that austism IS part of what they are.

I have never heard anyone on the spectrum take such offense at the movie "Rain Man" as you have. Was the Dustin Hoffman character a representative portrayal of autism? Of course not. It singled out a very unusual case, as you pointed out. But so what? That's Hollywood for you. Everyone on the spectrum that I have encountered was fascinated by the movie.

And yes, I have intimate experience with the condition.

Last edited by mariposa : Dec 27, 2010 at 01:52 AM.
mariposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 07:11 AM   #259
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Eh, if I miss my meds I go pretty nuts sometimes. I learned this the hard way.

Seriously, Aspergers is part of me... not the whole of me, but if you take away the Aspie part I aint the same person. I mean... it aint just slapping a bunch of symptoms and traits onto me and if you remove those you get a version minus the Aspie traits. You'll get a whole different personality. Not there's anything particularly wrong with the Aspie traits, you know?

Last edited by The New AimeeAndBeatles : Dec 27, 2010 at 07:13 AM.
The New AimeeAndBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:01 PM   #260
beatlebangs1964

I have very intimate experience with AS.

Many people automatically make RM comments, e.g. "Your brother is autistic? Is he like RM? Can he do match box tricks?" Some cruel people have lampooned people with autism by doing parodies of that character. That is the equivalent of a minstrel show. Prodigious savantism is extremely rare.

My moan was that many people with autism have been marginalized. Discrimination of any kind of any people is something that is offensive.