BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:21 PM   #21
FPSHOT
Sun King

I saw Paul a year ago and he does a great performance

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:29 PM   #22
feelfab
Dr. Robert

I saw BB King a few years ago--he played sitting down, explaining: 'I'm 80 years old, have diabetes and a bad back. I'm playing sitting down.' He would do one song with vocals, and the next would be all or mostly instrumental. It was absolute magic, the voice still wonderful and the guitar playing was BB King playing guitar. Amazing and beautiful.
Luckily, Paul seems healthy and he isn't eighty, but he perhaps has some behind-the scenes concessions to being older. He's still doing great shows, he's playing with younger guys which probably gives him a push when he needs it, and he's got a song or two.
Artists make art, and the people can buy it or not. That's been true since 'Love Me Do'. I love the press: when someone is on the way up, jump on the bandwagon, ride it for a while, then start slagging the artist when it appears to be cool to do so. As the artist slips, kick 'em on the way down. Since Paul isn't really slipping, is still having fun, and people still enjoy his work, kick him anyway. It gets attention and makes the person doing the kicking seem hip or a rebel or something. It's such an old, old cliche, it's laughable.
feelfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:43 PM   #23
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
Only Paul would know if Paul was too old to perform. This is just plain madness!

I saw Paul last year and he commanded that stage for over 3.5 hours. When I saw and heard Paul doing his sound check and his "pre-concert concert," it was a bonus concert. Paul had the whole damn place rocking!
AMEN! :D
BeatleNut9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:50 PM   #24
Maia 66
Sun King

"We don't want to be the Crazy Gang or the Marx Brothers being dragged onstage playing She Loves You when we've got asthma and tuberculosis and when we're fifty." ~John Lennon

Paul is Paul and he's just being Paul. I'm not one for old rock & rollers replaying their hits over and over, but I love Paul and I'm glad he's still gettin' his groove on. But I can also understand this guy's point...

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:43 AM   #25
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Paul is a very versatile artist. I am glad he can continue performing. It's the man's job, entertainment.

What about people who, like me still enjoy Tony Bennett? The man is a senior citizen and he is very inspiring. He still performs and he sounds damn good. I mean, he is genuinely a Class Act and his music unites generations and will remain timeless. I am glad he is still performing and I think his can-do attitude, like Paul's will continue to take him far.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:40 PM   #26
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Paul is a very versatile artist. I am glad he can continue performing. It's the man's job, entertainment.

What about people who, like me still enjoy Tony Bennett? The man is a senior citizen and he is very inspiring. He still performs and he sounds damn good. I mean, he is genuinely a Class Act and his music unites generations and will remain timeless. I am glad he is still performing and I think his can-do attitude, like Paul's will continue to take him far.
YES! Tony is still amazing!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:49 AM   #27
Kaye.Lennon
Mr. Moonlight

I think it's up to Paul to decide when he stops performing, but I don't look for that to happen any time soon. You can tell he enjoys giving concerts, so as long as Paul's enjoying it, I say let the man be!

I completely agree with beatlebangs:

Quote:

♥Kaye
Kaye.Lennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 09:49 AM   #28
mariposa
Little Child

I've loved Paul McCartney for 30+ years. He has been a constant in the music world for my entire adult life. I know he loves performing and doesn't want to stop, and he's certainly earned the right to do whatever he wants. He has nothing to prove to anyone.

But at the same time, I hate to see him not at his best. He's kinda like a baseball player who can't catch up to a good fastball anymore. Eventually, he will become an embarrassment to himself. Plus, I hate for new fans to hear him and think that's how Paul's music sounds. That's not how his music sounds.

Paul McCartney and his mates defined pop music for decades. He and they will forever be the greatest band of all time.

But he sounded really bad in that clip. I don't want him to be the subject of ridicule. I hope he retires before people stop coming to see him, not after.

Last edited by mariposa : Dec 21, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
mariposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:38 AM   #29
AeolianCadence
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
I've loved Paul McCartney for 30+ years. He has been a constant in the music world for my entire adult life. I know he loves performing and doesn't want to stop, and he's certainly earned the right to do whatever he wants. He has nothing to prove to anyone.

But at the same time, I hate to see him not at his best. He's kinda like a baseball player who can't catch up to a good fastball anymore. Eventually, he will become an embarrassment to himself. Plus, I hate for new fans to hear him and think that's how Paul's music sounds. That's not how his music sounds.

Paul McCartney and his mates defined pop music for decades. He and they will forever be the greatest band of all time.

But he sounded really bad in that clip. I don't want him to be the subject of ridicule. I hope he retires before people stop coming to see him, not after.
I totally get what you're saying, but having seen him in concert just a few months ago, I honestly don't think he's reached that point. It's regrettable he had an off night on a relatively high-profile program, but he still has so much left to offer. (That's my opinion, anyway, but it appears to be pretty widely shared.)

Besides, he's been the subject of ridicule in some quarters for 40 years now. ; )
AeolianCadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:33 PM   #30
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Mariposa, I agree with your whole post. Very well said. You and I are definitely in the minority HERE but there are others who love the Beatles and Paul who share our opinion.

However, I also confess that I enjoyed seeing him at the Hollywood Bowl last March. Great show. I don't wish for him to stop performing, but maybe just not so much and not in such huge venues (and SNL is a humongous venue).

In an earlier post I quoted John, who had always said he didn't want to be onstage later in life recreating his earlier hits... and I think George was of the same mind. But Paul is Paul... performing and being in the spotlight has always been more important to him.

It just seems that lately he's been performing with a vengeance. For some reason, I get the feeling that Paul is scared to do the 1966 post-Candlestick thing all over again. Like if he stops performing, then what? And, somehow, I think it all has to do with his not having Linda in his life anymore... but that's just my opinion.

All I want is the truth

Old Dec 21, 2010, 01:06 PM   #31
Legs
Sun King

Anyone who has seen Paul live can only agree that he still puts on a three hour long fantastic show.

A short clip hardly does him justice, and even younger artists have an off night once in awhile. If he feels he can't do it anymore I am sure he will listen to himself and stop, but at this moment he isn't there yet.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:13 PM   #32
mariposa
Little Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianCadence View Post
Besides, he's been the subject of ridicule in some quarters for 40 years now. ; )
Yes, but never because of his inability to perform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs
A short clip hardly does him justice, and even younger artists have an off night once in awhile.
Yes, that's true. I didn't see the entire show. Was the rest of it better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66
However, I also confess that I enjoyed seeing him at the Hollywood Bowl last March. Great show. I don't wish for him to stop performing
I haven't seen him live, but have watched many clips on YouTube. He does put on a great show. I like that he doesn't prance all over the stage or destroy his guitars or any of that nonsense. He just performs his music.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:29 AM   #33
Legs
Sun King

Quote:

Yes, that's true. I didn't see the entire show. Was the rest of it better?
I haven't seen the rest, it might even be worse. However it's not something you can form your opinion on. Even if it was an terible concert, every artist has a few peformances that didn't went that well.

I had my fears when I saw Paul perform in 2002 at the jubilee concert.
His voice was really shot, especialy when singing "Blackbird". This was no longer the great beautiful voice and I thought this was it for Paul.
However a few months later I saw him live and it was a fantastic performance. The show last year was also great. Paul sounded better then ever, full of energy and that three hours long! That some concert recordings, and many happy fan experiences says to me that the time hasn't come yet for Paul to stop, and that he has nothing to be ashamed about.

Last edited by Legs : Dec 22, 2010 at 10:30 AM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:42 AM   #34
hibgal
Sun King

Remember Coachella last year? He was fantastic! Grandpa compared to the other acts and people kept talking about how he really cooked, leaving the youngsters in the dust. One year later he's had it?

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:38 PM   #35
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Well said, Mariposa. I've loved Paul since I was a very little girl and finally seeing him in concert was a Godsend.

Another good point was raised that if Paul stops performing, then what will he do? This has been the man's livelihood for decades. I don't see him settling into a sedentary lifestyle.

Even if he does retire any time soon, sadly people will still expect him to perform. That is tantamount to stopping someone after work to do more office work. The man is off the clock, but will his hordes of countless fans respect that? We would, but there are others who might not.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Dec 22, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:59 PM   #36
bobdude
Dr. Robert

For example sake. Let's just suppose he did retire, how long would it be until the media started bugging him about playing one more time? Just for old times sakes, Macca. You could get Ringo to join you and we could put holograms of John and George on stage with you. Wouldn't that be great Macca?
It's just ridiculous. I can't ever see him retiring. He might not tour the world much in later years, (as he ages), but he'll never stop performing and why should he? George Burns performed until he was nearly 100. Although he should've skipped over the Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band movie! That is a different topic.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:01 PM   #37
LetThereBeMusic
Bulldog

In my opinion, as long as he's selling tickets and filling venues like he is, let him perform. He enjoys it and so does the audience, isn't that what entertainment is anyway?

On the day the wall came down, The Ship of Fools had finally run aground...
Promises lit up the night, like paper doves in flight...
[/center]
LetThereBeMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:35 PM   #38
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeMusic View Post
In my opinion, as long as he's selling tickets and filling venues like he is, let him perform. He enjoys it and so does the audience, isn't that what entertainment is anyway?
AMEN! :D
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:12 AM   #39
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeMusic View Post
isn't that what entertainment is anyway?
There's entertainment... and then there's The Beatles.

All I want is the truth

Last edited by Maia 66 : Dec 27, 2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:49 AM   #40
mariposa
Little Child

Quote:
Another good point was raised that if Paul stops performing, then what will he do? This has been the man's livelihood for decades. I don't see him settling into a sedentary lifestyle.
It's the same question everyone asks when they retire :)

In Paul's case, surely he would keep on writing music. That seems to be even more a part of him than performing is. I doubt he could stop if he tried!