BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old May 03, 2010, 05:46 PM   #1
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Default Gene Simmons Talks Liverpool, The Beatles

Friday, April 9, 2010 - 8:42 PM

By Jade Wright

Gene Simmons of KISS talks Liverpool, The Beatles and why modern bands look like pizza delivery boys

ON a leather sofa in the library of his hotel room sits Gene Simmonds, the blood-spitting, fire-breathing, tongue-wagging frontman of KISS.

It's the morning after the band's fanclub show at the Islington Academy, and he's sipping a cup of tea. It's so dark I can barely see him, but he repeatedly calls on room service to dim the lights, to the point where I can just make out his features, minus that famous make-up.

"That's better," he sighs. "Come and sit here, next to me."

The show in the 1,000 capacity Academy was like seeing a quart squeezed into a pint pot. The KISS show fits an arena, and Gene, 60, has more than enough charisma for 10,000 fans to share. So sitting two feet away from him is like watching a film with my nose pressed against the cinema screen.

Next month Gene and the band - "Starchild" Paul Stanley, guitarist Tommy Thayer and drummer Eric Singer - take to the ECHO arena stage.

"It's the first time we've been to Liverpool, ever I think," says Gene in that big husky voice that I've heard on all the Rock School replays, and belting out on Guitar Hero. "Which is strange because it's somewhere I've always wanted to play. I've been fascinated by the place ever since I heard The Beatles.

"There is no way I'd be doing what I do now if it wasn't for The Beatles. I was watching the Ed Sullivan show and I saw them. Those skinny little boys, kind of androgynous, with long hair like girls. It blew me away that these four boys in the middle of nowhere could make that music.

"Then they spoke and I thought 'What are they talking like?'. We had never heard the Liverpool accent before. I thought that all British people spoke like the Queen. The only time you heard a British accent was when they played the Nazi in war films.

Suddenly he switches into a surprisingly good Scouse accent.

"Overnight I became an Anglophile," he chuckles. "I read up on The Beatles, who they were, where they were from. I learnt about Liverpool, Rory Storm and the Hurricanes, Ringo's band, and The Quarrymen and all that.

"I read up everything they did in the news. I followed their failures and their successes.

"The Beatles were a band, of course, and I loved their music. But they were also a cultural force that made it OK to be different.

"They didn't look like everyone else, and they still made the girls scream."

Source: http://www.planet-kiss.com/2010/04/g...l-beatles.html

Last edited by LennonStarrFan : May 03, 2010 at 08:56 PM.
LennonStarrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 08:12 PM   #2
abbey_dahling
Fool On The Hill

After all the crap he has recently said about Michael Jackson in interviews lately, I could care less what he thinks about anything. He's a nasty, mean man.

Having said that, a friend of mine is a producer of his show so she spends a lot of time with him, both on-set and off and some of the pictures she posts of the two of them are hilarious. It's pretty funny, the life she leads, considering we graduated from a high school that had just under 500 students enrolled.

At least he has nothing bad to say about our Fab Four.
abbey_dahling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 08:57 PM   #3
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

What has he said about MJ?
LennonStarrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 09:23 PM   #4
abbey_dahling
Fool On The Hill

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...-abuser-235539

I don't know what's worse - judging a man because no woman has ever spoken of being intimate with Michael (which isn't true, by the way) while at the same time bragging about "bedding" close to 5,000 women? Or saying things that are completely just not true at all (about the tour) or not knowing ANY facts of the cases but making assumptions based on what the news reported..

I'm not saying I know for a fact Michael didn't do any of that. But I don't pretend to know. I feel that he did not, and until I know otherwise (KNOW, not guess) I am going with that.

I can't imagine saying such awful things about someone with no proof to substantiate any of it.
abbey_dahling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

Well, I've never had any respect for Simmons, and his praise for the Beatles really doesn't change any of that.

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2010, 11:19 AM   #6
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

My kids were HUGE Beatles fans (naturally) but as they got older KISS was their thing and I took them to see The Dynasty Tour in 1978. The tour was amazing - visually.
I liked a few of their songs, but a fan of Gene Simmons? Don't hold your breath. He's just skeevy.
In the toughest of economic times he jokes that "mother of his 2 kids" Shannon spent 100,000 betting on a horse! He brags about women he's slept with, there have been at least 10 KISS farewell tours over the last dozen years or so... (puh-leeze) and he appears to have no respect for anyone or anything but money. Even if he does worship at the Liverpudlian alter... it doesn't endear the man to me one iota.
JudithKristen is offline   Reply With Quote