BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Nov 02, 2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

Default Any SMiLE freaks here???

I happen to be listening to Brian Wilson's 2004 completion of the legendary "lost Beach Boys' album" SMiLE. This may have already been discussed in earlier threads, but I just thought I'd ask, are there any big fans of this project around here?

I have collected SMiLE bootlegs over the years, and speaking strictly for myself, I was totally thrilled with the 2004 release by Brian Wilson and his band of the completed work. I was very pleased that Van Dyke Parks was brought in to finish up the lyrics (which would be the only way that the project could be finished legitimately). I have listened to the album many, many times, and never tired of it.

Is there anyone else that has a deep interest in Brian Wilson's SMiLE and the "SMiLE Sessions" from '66 and early '67?

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 08:35 AM   #2
numbernine
Little Child

Default i love smile.

due to fan remixes and interpretations of what could have been of the album .. i have like 5 different version of the album,.. a great album that was 30 years in the making.
Old Nov 03, 2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Legs
Sun King

It's fascinating stuff shifting through these recordings on bootlegs.
Got a few of these.
For a finished version I go to Brian's 2004 release, which is fantastic. The bootlegs I have are good study material, but don't work well as an finished album.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 09:12 AM   #4
FPSHOT
Sun King

Fascinating stuff and mister Legs and I at that time - 2004? - saw Brian in concert Live standing just so close to him in the end we could have even shaken hands with him.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 09:38 AM   #5
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

I got to see SMiLE live in Atlanta in October of 2004. It was almost surreal, like a dream. I had lived with a lot of the music for 10 years or so (ever since the Good Vibrations box set had come out, and also I had procured some other bootlegs in the meantime) and it just seemed impossible that here he was performing this music onstage, with completed lyrics and all.

After the release of the album in September of '04, I think I played it every day for something like three months. It was very significant for me. I felt this man had paid his debt to the world by being willing to finish the masterpiece that had all but ruined his life, and I owed it to him somehow to listen to it with disciple-like devotion for a while.

I've often wondered what would have happened if it had been released in early '67 as originally planned. I'm pretty sure that people wouldn't have gotten it. It was way, way outside of where the culture was. Was he ahead of his time, or just in another realm of art that belongs to no era or epoch? I tend to think the latter.

I think it was probably best, as it turns out, that he waited until 37 years later to complete the project. What was amazing about it was that, to my ears (as well as many other admirers), the finished work actually managed to live up to the legend that had haunted it for decades.

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 03, 2009, 11:01 AM   #6
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I liked it.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 07:41 AM   #7
BeatleFanForever
Little Child

Forgive me, this is another late add. I own 6 different SMiLE Sessions CD's, they are as follows:

SMiLE - T 2580-2
SMiLE - T 9002 Second Edition
SMiLE - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 16 (1966-1967) Sea of Tunes,
C 9949
SMiLE - Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 17 (1966-1967) 2-CD set
Sea of Tunes, C 9950, C 9951 and C 9952
SMiLE - Archaeology (1966-1967) 5-CD set, Picareqsque label
SMiLE - SMiLE Sessions 2-CD set, Vigotone label, Vigo 110/111

I love the sound quality on these CD's. The 2004 SMiLE release almost sounds identical to the original SMiLE 1966-1967 sessions. Take care.
BeatleFanForever is offline   Reply With Quote