BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old May 10, 2010, 03:35 PM   #1
The_Taxman
Rocky Raccoon

Send a message via AIM to The_Taxman
Default Unpopular Beatles Opinions

Do you have an opinion about The Beatles or their music or anything like that which isn't commonly thought?

Example: I think Revolution 9 is the best song on The White Album.

Get it?

I'll start...

I like "McCartney" more than "Plastic Ono Band", or "All Things Must Pass"
The_Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 04:08 PM   #2
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Paul >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> John in practically every field of comparison.

I'm looking more forward to the Badfinger and Paul solo remasters than the Beatles ones.

I'm actually starting to like McCartney II.

Anthology 3 is way better than Anthology 2.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Loony_leo
Bulldog

There could be no Lennon without McCartney, and no McCartney without Lennon. They were BOTH such amazing musicians, and taught each other so much about the song writing process.

It seems like, among the Beatle fandom, if you're a Lennon fan you can't be a McCartney fan and vice versa. Professional writers can't praise one of them without totally slandering the other.

It's a shame, because deep down they had such a respect for each other's work, and such an amazing collaboration.
Old May 10, 2010, 04:33 PM   #4
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I don't deny any of that. But it seems like 85% of fans worship John and use every opportunity they can to slag off Paul. I know, I used to be one of them. But I find Paul to be a far better writer and singer and person and whatnot. It doesn't mean I don't respect or admire John but preferring Paul is like sacrilegious if you're a Beatles fan. Except if you're a grandmother. Grandmothers can get away with preferring Paul to John and nobody bats an eye. So when you knock me for what I said, think about that--you're bashing grandmothers all over the world.

And while I'm on the subject...I know I'll get knocked for this one but in terms of John tribute songs, "Here Today" > "All Those Years Ago." Granted, people grieve differently but ATYA doesn't really feel like a tribute; it's too bouncy and upbeat. It's a good song but it wasn't even written entirely for John; he just rewrote something he already had lying around.

Yay!!!!!!
Old May 10, 2010, 05:43 PM   #5
The_Taxman
Rocky Raccoon

Send a message via AIM to The_Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
I don't deny any of that. But it seems like 85% of fans worship John and use every opportunity they can to slag off Paul. I know, I used to be one of them. But I find Paul to be a far better writer and singer and person and whatnot. It doesn't mean I don't respect or admire John but preferring Paul is like sacrilegious if you're a Beatles fan. Except if you're a grandmother. Grandmothers can get away with preferring Paul to John and nobody bats an eye. So when you knock me for what I said, think about that--you're bashing grandmothers all over the world.

And while I'm on the subject...I know I'll get knocked for this one but in terms of John tribute songs, "Here Today" > "All Those Years Ago." Granted, people grieve differently but ATYA doesn't really feel like a tribute; it's too bouncy and upbeat. It's a good song but it wasn't even written entirely for John; he just rewrote something he already had lying around.
I see what you're saying. It seems like there are more John fans who bash Paul than Paul fans who bash John.

Although I agree with leo, why can't everybody love both? (and George and Ringo of course!)
The_Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 06:21 PM   #6
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I do love them both. Like a father loves his sons who posed nude on an album cover with the women he was having an affair with, or went to Japan with a big ol' suitcase full of pot, or became a heroin addict and just started randomly screaming all the time, or released albums like Press to Play. I'm disappointed in my boys sometimes, but dammit, Daddy's always gonna be there for them. And that goes for George and Ringo too. Although let it be known that Ringo gets his massive schnozz from his mother.

Yay!!!!!!
Old May 10, 2010, 07:32 PM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I prefer McCartney and All Things Must Pass to Plastic Ono Band.

When George got those ghastlyass perms, his naturally beautiful wavy hair looked like total ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama
Paul >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> John in practically every field of comparison.
Amen, Brother Rama! I think Paul was infinitely more talented than John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama
I do love them both. Like a father loves his sons who posed nude on an album cover with the women he was having an affair with, or went to Japan with a big ol' suitcase full of pot, or became a heroin addict and just started randomly screaming all the time, or released albums like Press to Play. I'm disappointed in my boys sometimes, but dammit, Daddy's always gonna be there for them. And that goes for George and Ringo too. Although let it be known that Ringo gets his massive schnozz from his mother.
Well said above, 'Rama. And George got his beautiful wavy hair from Harold Sr. and his intensity from Louise. He had a Franco-Harrison smile. Damn, he was fine!

On a Ringo note, I have to take issue with Starkey, Sr. The man nearly loses his only child 3 times and he does not do jack for him. The man's own immediate family stepped up to the plate and where in the Sam Hill was Starkey, Sr.? According to folks who knew him, off pub crawling, looking for a dance and not doing a damn thing for his only child. Right prince of a guy he is! I think he could take a page out of Jim McCartney and Harold Sr.'s book. Hell's bells, I think the Messrs. Jim McCartney and Harold Sr. should have just LENT him the book!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : May 12, 2010 at 08:28 AM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 07:36 PM   #8
beatlebangs1964

I never liked "Bithday," "Helen Wheels," "Wild Honey Pie" or "Freedom."

While Paul's heart was in the right place, I still think "Freedom" is the equivalent of a D composition from an A+ honor student!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Old May 10, 2010, 07:45 PM   #9
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
it seems like 85% of fans worship John and use every opportunity they can to slag off Paul.
omg ~ it is soooo the other way around! Especially 'round here. Just goes to show you, we all have our very different perceptions.

To wit...

My unpopular Beatles opinions: I actually love Yesterday. It is always in my top 10 favorite Beatle songs. It just gets better with age.

BUT, I really don't like the vocals in Here, There, and Everywhere. I think it's a gorgeous song, but I have never liked the way it was sung. (And I'm not slagging on Paul... just giving my unpopular opinion.)

AND, I actually think Help! is a great album. I'm one of the few people in the world who thinks that... and who thinks that Another Girl and The Night Before are great songs.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 11:36 PM   #10
The Duke
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
On a Ringo note, I have to take issue with Starkey, Sr. The man nearly loses his only child 3 times ...
Ringo has three kids- Zak, Jason and Lee. I believe the incident you may be referring to concerned his daughter Lee and took place after his drinking days. So that seems a bit unfair. Saw her a while ago and she seems fine!

I can't believe all the Paul fans say this forum is John-biased, it's definitely the other way round- I love all four Beatles equally and understand that it needed all four to be The Beatles. It seems that Paul fans get very upset if every thread doesn't start with how fantastic Paul is, but relax, that's a given, it's a BEATLES board, get it?!
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 11:38 PM   #11
The Duke
Day Tripper

Quote:
I don't think these are unpopular opinions, surely no-one considers any of those songs to be more than throaways!
Old May 10, 2010, 11:40 PM   #12
The Duke
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
... I'm one of the few people in the world who thinks that... Another Girl and The Night Before are great songs.
Wow, and on an album with Yesterday, I've Just Seen a Face, Help!, You're Going to Lose That Girl and Ticket to Ride, you still think Another Girl and The Night Before are great songs?!! That is an individual opinion alright!
Old May 11, 2010, 12:34 AM   #13
BeatleBetti
Little Child

Send a message via MSN to BeatleBetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
AND, I actually think Help! is a great album. I'm one of the few people in the world who thinks that... and who thinks that Another Girl and The Night Before are great songs.
Me too!!! Omg I love these songs so much! I could listen to them for hours...in fact The Night Before has always been one of my favourites. And I feel the same way with Lady Madonna. They are so full of life and energy. It doesn't have to have a soooooo sooo sooooo deep meaning to love it. The Beatles weren't just made of Yesterdays, Let It Bes and Strawberry Fields Forevers I think

And who wouldn't have wanted to be the girl Paul was playing on during Another Girl in Help!
BeatleBetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 03:06 AM   #14
hibgal
Sun King

I love Michelle and the spectorized Let It Be!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 04:52 AM   #15
Fighting Irish
Little Child

Quote:

While Paul's heart was in the right place, I still think "Freedom" is the equivalent of a D composition from an A+ honor student!
Nobody liked "Freedom" or "Wild Honey Pie".

"Birthday" is a fun throwaway. And "Helen Wheels" is one of Mac's best rockers. The lyrics and wordplay are quite clever.

On a side note, I still don't get the lyrics of "Jet" and "Junior's Farm". But Mac has always had this annoying habit of including too many inside jokes in his words. His writing seems to have cleared up since he stopped smoking pot.
Fighting Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 05:01 AM   #16
taxman
Taxman

I like Birthday and The Word, two of the most unpopular Beatles songs. Also like the Help! album.

Don't like very much the backing vocals on Here There and Everywhere, if there was less b.v. it would sound better, I think.

Also, I don't like some of their "slightly gayish" promo photos from the early days (1963/1964).
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 05:31 AM   #17
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Wow, and on an album with Yesterday, I've Just Seen a Face, Help!, You're Going to Lose That Girl and Ticket to Ride, you still think Another Girl and The Night Before are great songs?!! That is an individual opinion alright!
Actually... I didn't say those were my favorite songs on the album... those would be Ticket to Ride, Help!, Hide Your Love Away, Yesterday, I've Just Seen a Face. I was just showing how much a John fan can love Paul... I love him so much that I think AG and TNB are great. (And I love I Need You, to boot!)

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 06:28 AM   #18
dogman
Nowhere Man

Another Girl and The Night Before ARE great songs, both are among my very favourite fab four numbers. the help lp is in my top four favourite albums of the beatles too.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:58 AM   #19
beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Ringo has three kids- Zak, Jason and Lee. I believe the incident you may be referring to concerned his daughter Lee and took place after his drinking days. So that seems a bit unfair. Saw her a while ago and she seems fine!

I can't believe all the Paul fans say this forum is John-biased, it's definitely the other way round- I love all four Beatles equally and understand that it needed all four to be The Beatles. It seems that Paul fans get very upset if every thread doesn't start with how fantastic Paul is, but relax, that's a given, it's a BEATLES board, get it?!
I was talking about RINGO's father, Richard Starkey, Sr. We all know Ringo had chronic illnesses as a boy and from all accounts the man didn't do jack for Ringo. THAT is who I was talking about. He was no Harold Sr.!

I am about as pro-Paul as you will find. To prefer the work of one Beatle over that of another is not to condemn the other(s). Why slag Paul if you prefer John and vice versa? Good question raised - I get sick of the Paul bashing as I would get sick of anyone being bashed. You can enjoy John or whomever, but you had to have all 4 or it wasn't the Beatles. Ain't no disloyalty there - I prefer the music of the Messrs. Harrison and McCartney and feel Paul was much more talented, but I still enjoy John. I am not as avid a fan of Ringo's early solo work, but c'est la vie. I liked it better when Ringo didn't do covers of classic hits. That is JMHO. Simple as that.

Gestaltist, really. The sum was far greater that the sum of its individual parts.

Old May 11, 2010, 09:43 AM   #20
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

I love Revolution #9 on the White Album. It sounds even better when played backwards... =p
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote