BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Bootleg Network

Old Oct 04, 2003, 06:40 PM   #1
onosideboards
Taxman

Default Paul\'s Unedited Unplugged

Does anyone else have a copy of Paul's complete, unedited Unplugged performance? I just realized I had downloaded it and it's soooo great. Here's what I think is great about it:

1. Hammish does "Ain't No Sunshine" two times in a row by popular demand. But what's exceptional is that Paul plays drums. Call me ignorant, but I had no idea!

2. Paul flubs the words to "We Can Work It Out" not once, not twice, but THREE times. I knew about two times because I read it somewhere (maybe here), but I assumed that the released take was the second try. Oh no, after a 15-minute break and Hammish's stint as lead, Paul admits they have to do a couple more numbers because the "cameras screwed up" (he's kidding).

3. There were several songs that I hadn't heard before. Always a nice treat.

4. Linda was on stage, but I coudln't figure out what she was there for. Paul even rarely looked at her.

5. Are those jogging pants and a vest he was wearing? Or maybe some Stella creation?

My copy is incomplete as of yet, but it is already over 90 minutes long. Love it!
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2003, 07:39 PM   #2
darkhorse
Sun King

Default Re: Paul\'s Unedited Unplugged

I know he did an all song called "The Fool" which was never used for the CD (at least it is not on my CD). I think he also did "Things We Said Today"... and I've always wondered, too, what was Linda doing. She can barely be heard in any song (except at the end on "Singalong Junk", playing the harmonium)...

Your comments sound very interesting. It would be great if you manage to post a complete tracklisting to see what are we really missing.

Oh yes, and Paul played drums on "Ain't No Sunshine"; not only on that concert, but also in the whole New World Tour, which was a nice feature... He also did it in his chilean show, which was the last one of that tour. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2003, 09:29 AM   #3
onosideboards
Taxman

Yeah, I wish I had been keeping track while I watched it. I don't know some of the song titles. I'll just make an outline of it now:

I. Intro, Paul rambling and band intros (calls the drummer the wrong name on purpose and "forgets" Hammish). He appears to be nervous

II. Song 1: Mean Woman Blues

III. Brief banter (the welcome included on the album)

IV. Song 2: Matchbox (over intro comments that it's the same song as the previous one, but in a different key)

V. Song 3: Midnight Special (over the intro Paul tells the story of the train by the Sugarland jail; he also comments on how hot it is on stage)

VI. Paul thanks someone named Heather for the mandolin. He then introduces the next song and its chord structure.

VII. Song 4: I Lost My Little Girl (Linda can be seen with maracas or something)

VIII. Paul has more water and comments on the curl line in the previous song.

IX. Song 5: Here, There and Everywhere

X. Paul asks for a towell for his dripping set and asks for the audience to talk amongst themselves. Introduces the next song by Rambling Jack Elliot, "son of T.S." [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The other guitarist (sorry, forgot his name) uses a slide on a Hawaiian guitar for the first time.

XI. Song 6: San Fransisco Bay Blues

XII. Huge applause. Paul asks for more romping, then jokes to Hammish and begins to beat out the next song.

XIII. Song 7: We Can Work It Out. Paul flubs immediatly, realizes his mistake. This is the false start you hear on the official bootleg. He starts again after asking about the words, then screws up again by saying "our love may not last long." He realizes his mistake again and rolls his eyes, shakes his shoulder. Just as the chorus begins, he stops the band and asks if the audience wants to sing it because they are audibly angry at him stopping the song again. He isists that he knows the words, and seems insulted that people are offering them to him. Then he goes through them, mumbling. He becomes very serious and visibly angry at himself. He says that if he doesn't get it right this time, they'll just pretend he did. They begin again and Paul makes the same mistake, "our love may not last long" but is unphased by it. This version also lacks Paul's distint backing vocal on "fussing and fighting." Linda is on tamborine in her little corner.

14. Paul goes for a drink of water to big cheers. Silence for a bit until Paul comments on the weather. Introduces the next song.

15. Song 8: Blue Moon of Kentucky. Linda cannot be seen during this song.

16. Paul plays with his quasi-mullet a lot between songs. More water.

17. Song 9: I've Just Seen a Face. No Linda visable here either.

18. Tuning. Paul says "That's near enough...for skiffle" with regards to his tuning job.

19. Song 10: Every Night. No Linda here either, very surprisingly.

20. After talking to Robbie, Paul asks that they have 5 minutes to "swab down." It must be very hot up there. The break is edited out.

21. Song 11: Be-Bop-A-Lula. Linda's playing something, maybe maracas. Barely visible though. I think that's what she's doing every song, but they just don't show her.

22. Song 12: She's A Woman. Fade out.

23. More water. He asks if they're having a good time and admits "as if you'd say no." Introduces the next song.

24. Song 13: And I Love Her.

25. Standing ovation and Paul calls them a grand audience. Tuning, Robbie's having trouble and Paul hums the note. Introduces the next song.

26. Song 14: The Fool. The song is almost out of Paul's range as he has to sing some of it very low. I bet John would do a better job (ha). Linda's on a little drum kit, or so it appears. Maybe that's what she's normally doing, it's hard to tell.

27. Paul cheers along with the audience.

28. Song 15: Things We Said Today. Linda's on keys. Someone flubs (I don't think it's Paul) the lyrics at one point, which may be why it wasn't included on the album.

29. Paul bows, another standing ovation. Introduces the next song, comments on the title of his first solo album.

30. Song 16: That Would Be Somthing.

31. Lots of adjustment as Paul sits in front of the psychadelic piano to play "Blackboard." An MTV worker had asked if Paul was going to play "Blackboard." "She's a big fan," jokes Paul. Then she suddenly appears and gets in the shot.

32. Song 17: Blackbird. A brief false start. I guess he needs to sit for this one. Robbie plays along, standing. This is an abbreviated version.

33. Everyone resumes their positions. Paul wipes his face. Paul plays with his hair a lot. Long pause.

34. Song 18: Hi-heel Sneakers.

35. Paul thanks the audience while Hammish tunes and Paul says that they used to play entire sets out of tune, now only part of sets.

36. Song 19: Good Rockin' Tonight. Linda appears to be on maracas.

37. Paul introduces the next song and teases the MTV worker again.

38. Song 20: Singalong Junk.

39. Someone suggests a 15-minute break, I think an MTV person. You get to see some of this break. At the beginning of the tape, a message states that this video was intended for MTV execs would could not make the filming.

40. Paul explains they're going to do just a couple more things "then you can go home." Someone whines. Lots of band adjstment, Paul starts drumming.

41. Song 21: Ain't No Sunshine. Robbie's on piano.

42. Paul jumps back up front and grabs his guitar. An MTV person suggest they do it again, not sure why. Paul asks the crowd to a lukewarm response but they do it anyway. Paul sings the "I know I know" line before starting to drum again.

43. Song 22: Ain't No Sunshine. Hammish is visibly flattered. This version is much more lose than the released one, some improvising too. Paul sings some response vocals.

44. Hammish fakes wrecking his guitar a'la the Who. Someone ask for "Ain't No Sunshine" again and Paul asks if the guy would like to do it, or maybe drum. Paul proceeds to say they have to do a couple more numbers for the cameras and winks. He says he might have learned the words to "We Can Work it Out."

45. Song 23: We Can Work it Out. Finally, the released version.

46. Paul thanks the audience "although it was a bit of a sweat." He says that if they havne't enjoyed it, too bad.

And that concludes my copy of the unedited unplugged. A total of 94:02 so far. I'm for sure missing one song, probably the last one.

[size="1"][ Mar 14, 2004, 02:53 PM: Message Edited By: onosideboards ][/size]
Old Oct 05, 2003, 10:18 AM   #4
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

Thanks for that onosideboards. Definitely a few songs missing from the CD I have, notably Matchbox and Midnight Special. Sounds the whole thing was fantastic. Was definitely great though to hear Paul do versions of some of those old songs: Down By The Sanfrancisco Bay, Singing The Blues and Blue Moon of Kentucky (the 'long' version [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) on the released CD.
Savoy Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:14 AM   #5
darkhorse
Sun King

Thank you very much for that list! It sounds as a very interesting show, much more than the already great Official Bootleg CD. How many "We Can Work It Out"'s Paul had to do... hehehe. I believe "Midnight Special" and "Things We Said Today" were released somewhere else (yes, there they are on the Biker Like An Icon CD single [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ). Sad that we also miss "The Fool", which I think it's a great song, even though, as you said, is sort of out of Paul's range.

Thanks again. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:17 PM   #6
joelcrowservo
Dr. Robert

"The Fool", really? Is this the same thing as a 50s hit which goes something like 'so drink to the fool, cause I'm the fool that told my baby goodbye.." Is that it, cause I'd love to hear Paul (or John!) sing it!
joelcrowservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:30 PM   #7
onosideboards
Taxman

Thanks for reminding me of "The Fool" because I was listening to a Day by Day disc (as I have been for months because it's taking me that long to find the time for all of them), and John tries to sing this song! He's mostly fooling around but I was right, it's much more suited for John's range [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

And you're welcome!
Old Oct 11, 2003, 04:26 AM   #8
biglou114
Bulldog

Send a message via AIM to biglou114

I thought there were two versions of "Blue Moon of Kentucky" one fast one slow.
biglou114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2003, 06:44 AM   #9
onosideboards
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By joelcrowservo:
"The Fool", really? Is this the same thing as a 50s hit which goes something like 'so drink to the fool, cause I'm the fool that told my baby goodbye.." Is that it, cause I'd love to hear Paul (or John!) sing it!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">The words are quite difficult to understand, so I really don't know and I don't have time to hear it righ tnow. I'm sure it's an old 50s hit though.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 06:45 AM   #10
onosideboards
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By biglou114:
I thought there were two versions of "Blue Moon of Kentucky" one fast one slow.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Well, he plays it normally and then has a little really fast reprise. Maybe that's what you're thinking of? But, like I said, I'm pretty sure I'm missing a song still so maybe it's a slow version I'm missing.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 04:17 PM   #11
onosideboards
Taxman

I just realzed that one of the songs I didn't know the name of is called "Mean Woman Blues." Just about every rocakabilly guy has done it.