BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Apr 24, 2008, 08:25 PM   #41
digdad
Sun King

Yaida Hitomi - Daiya-monde (alas, about a 15-day wait until it arrives from overseas)

digdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:59 PM   #42
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

"The Best of the Shirelles". Of course, I was waiting eagerly to hear their recording of "Boys" and "Baby It's You", but much as I've liked them, my favourite song by them is still "Will You Love Me Tomorrow".
Old Apr 25, 2008, 03:59 AM   #43
jagatinho
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gos Coix View Post
my favourite song by them is still "Will You Love Me Tomorrow".
"Will You STILL Love Me Tomorrow"
That reminds me of Carole King, the author of that song.
Her TAPESTRY was the first CD, that I've ever bought.

Last edited by jagatinho : Apr 25, 2008 at 04:00 AM.
jagatinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 05:49 AM   #44
hibgal
Sun King

I blew the whole music budget for the month and bought Fleetwood Mac Live from 1968, Gary Moore Power of the blues, Styx Equinox/Crystal Ball and Edgar Winter Live at The Galaxy so now I'm broke but with lots of nice music to listen to!
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 06:27 AM   #45
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagatinho View Post
"Will You STILL Love Me Tomorrow"
That reminds me of Carole King, the author of that song.
Her TAPESTRY was the first CD, that I've ever bought.
Oh, I've got this song in two CDs, and both list it as "Will You Love Me Tomorrow". But it doesn't matter, it's a great song, whichever its title is. It seems that it's Carole King's doorbell sound.

Well, I didn't mention it, because I haven't opened it yet, but at the same time I bought the Shirelles CD I bought another one, a compilation of songs in German, English and French by Marlene Dietrich.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 02:52 AM   #46
jagatinho
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gos Coix View Post
Oh, I've got this song in two CDs, and both list it as "Will You Love Me Tomorrow".
You're right about the title, sorry.
I automatically thought the title is the same as the lyric.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:12 AM   #47
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagatinho View Post
I automatically thought the title is the same as the lyric.
"Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except For Me and My Monkey" taught me not to do so . Not to mention "Anna (Go to Him)".

Anyway, I've listening to it this weekend, and the Shirelles actually sing the title after the first verse! I had always thought they sang it all the times with the word "still", but they don't!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:51 PM   #48
guitargirl
Apple Scruff

Here's what I've picked up in the last couple of months:

The Rutles - The Rutles
George Harrison - Brainwashed
Paul McCartney - Run Devil Run
The Beatles - Live At The BBC
The Beatles - Anthology 1
ELO - Greatest Hits
The Cars - The Cars
R.E.M. - Green
Buddy Holly - Best Of
Hitsville USA - The Motown Singles Collection 1959-1971
Ravi Shankar - The Sound of the Sitar

Last edited by guitargirl : Jun 30, 2008 at 07:22 PM.
guitargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2008, 06:39 AM   #49
Asha
Sun King

Here's what I've gotten lately...

"Spirit" - Leona Lewis

& with a little help from my friends I also got...

"Yours Truly, Angry Mob" - Kaiser Chiefs
"Who Killed the..." - The Zutons
"Tired of Hanging Around" - The Zutons
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2008, 06:40 AM   #50
sadie
Sun King

I love the Zutons, I like the way the girl does the hippy dance at the end of a gig.

Last one I bought was Rockferry - Duffy.
Old Jul 01, 2008, 07:32 AM   #51
VersusBatman
Sun King

The Revolver album

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:02 AM   #52
digdad
Sun King

Just the other day I picked up two vinyl Beatles albums at Goodwill, both in great condition. The White Album (rainbow band reissue) and Rubber Soul (Apple reissue). I paid a whopping $1.06 each.

digdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:15 PM   #53
I like Ringo
Apple Scruff

The last album I bought was "Third" by Portishead.
I like Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:41 PM   #54
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Stripped Down ~~ Steve Carlson :)
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 09:42 PM   #56
hibgal
Sun King

Wednesday Morning, 3 AM - Simon & Garfunkel
Fifth Dimension - The Byrds

Also the concert DVD Return To Paradise by Styx. This is a really great live performance, they guys are having lots of fun, plays with verve, nice chatter in between the songs and it's well produced too, no dead spots here! Even if you're not a dedicated Styx fan you'll probably like this one. My hubby did!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 06:31 PM   #57
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Since my last update--most of these were purchased at the amazing Princeton Record Exchange for less than $5.

A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step. I got this for the Smashing Pumpkins connection, as James Iha was in APC. Well, I found out that he's not a part of this album so I was kind of disappointed but it's not a bad disc. I'm not as into APC as some of my friends are but they're ok.

Alanis Morissette - The Collection. Her best-of. I thought about just getting Jagged Little Pill since that's pretty much where my Alanis interest ends but she has a few other songs I like so I went with this. Meh. I just can't take her voice for such a long period.

Alice in Chains - Alice in Chains. Tough to decide whether it's better than Dirt but they're both amazing.

Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies. Wasn't as impressed by it as I expected but the opener is fantastic.

Alice in Chains - Live. A mishmash of live stuff from their whole career. A couple of amazing performances mixed with mostly stuff faithful to the studio versions.

Alice in Chains - Music Bank box set. Kind of a rip-off, it's a three-disc box set of a band that released a whopping three studio albums, one live album, and two EPs up to that point with a dozen or so demos.

Alice in Chains - Sap. Fantastic EP, way better than Jar of Flies.

Melissa auf der Maur - Auf der Maur. This was amazing, wasn't expecting to love it the way I did but so much of it is fantastic and there's only one meh track.

Beck - "Mixed Bizness" single. A bunch of remixes which are surprisingly really good; I normally don't care for remixes.

Beck - Modern Guilt. His newest album which is really short but other than two tracks is really good.

Ben Folds Five - "Battle of Who Could Care Less" single. Good song, blah b-sides.

Ben Folds Five - Naked Baby Photos. A pretty neat odds-and-ends disc.

Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner - A little jazzier than the Ben Folds I usually enjoy but it has some good stuff.

Blind Melon - For My Friends. Their first album in 13 years, albeit with a new lead singer. Has some stuff I love and the rest I like. Doesn't feel as much of a cash-in as most "reunions" of these circumstances.

Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning. His first solo album, wasn't expecting much but it was pretty good. Not as good as Soundgarden but decent.

Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffles His Feet. It's semi-monotonous, a lot of the songs sound the same thanks to the lead singer's voice, but it's grown on me.

Filter - Anthems for the Damned. I usually don't care for modern-day political songs but even though it's a concept album full of them I really enjoyed this.

Filter - "Hey Man Nice Shot" single. A bunch of remixes, one of which I liked a lot so it was worth the $1.99.

Filter - Short Bus. Their first album, way too many songs sound the same but the highlights ("Hey Man Nice Shot," "Dose," and "It's Over") are great.

Filter - "Where Do We Go From Here" single. Another bunch of remixes with one really good one.

Garbage - Bleed Like Me. Their latest album (which is like three years old), had some really good stuff and some forgettable songs.

Garbage - "Only Happy When it Rains" single. Great song backed by two b-sides, one really good and one so-so.

Garbage - "Stupid Girl" single. Ok, so it has a remix but it also has a new song that's like Shirley Manson orgasming set to music. I'd say it was a good buy.

Gin Blossoms - "Follow You Down" single. Some BBC tracks as b-sides that sound pretty similar to the album versions unfortunately.

Jason Mraz - We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things. His latest and easily best album, the only one so far where I've enjoyed all the tracks.

Jason Mraz - We Sing; We Dance; We Steal Things EPs. Three separate EPs of alternate versions and bonus tracks. Mostly they differ noticeably from the album versions and one of the bonus tracks is fantastic so it was worth getting the bundle.

Jerry Cantrell - Boggy Depot. The solo debut from the Alice in Chains mastermind. Way better than expected.

Jimmy Chamberlin Complex - Life Begins Again. A jazzy side project from the Smashing Pumpkins drummer. If it wasn't $2.99 I wouldn't have bought it but it makes for nice background music.

Liz Phair - Juvenalia. A semi-rare and long out of print EP with a couple of neat early demos. Was pretty surprised to find it but glad.

Mad Season - Above. A side project with the lead singer from Alice in Chains and some Pearl Jam people. Pretty good but not as good as AIC.

Nirvana - From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah. Various live stuff, some good, some meh.

No Doubt - "Hella Good" single. Awful, awful remixes. I hate being a completist sometimes.

Paul McCartney - "Off the Ground" single. One of my favorite solo Macca songs and some decent but nothing special b-sides.

Queen - At the BBC. Talk about a rip-off, it's pretty short (8 songs) and only two of the songs are noticeably different from the album versions.

Queen - Queen Rock Montreal. A repetitive live album with a tracklist that almost entirely duplicates their last archival live release. Lame.

Queen - "You Don't Fool Me" single. D'oh, remixes!

Radiohead - The Best Of. Better than I was expecting but I still don't exactly get what all the fuss is about.

Sara Bareilles - Careful Confessions. An early birthday gift from my sister. It's her pre-major label debut with a mix of studio and live stuff. Really glad I got a copy.

Simon & Garfunkel - Live 1969. A really nice performance but I wish there were more album tracks.

Smashing Pumpkins - "1979" Mixes. A remix single, but it's not that bad. I guess.

Smashing Pumpkins - Peel Sessions. A short EP with an excellent version of "Siva" and then some forgettable stuff.

Soundgarden - Down on the Upside. Their final--and best--album.

Soundgarden - Louder than Love. A good sophomore album but less polished than it should be.

Soundgarden - Songs from the Superunknown. An EP with the title track from Superunknown and a few b-sides.

Soundgarden - Ultramega OK! If LTL is unpolished, this one is...even less so. Great opener but most of it falls flat.

Stone Temple Pilots - "Days of the Week" single. Thank you, STP, for avoiding remixes. Two nice live b-sides here.

The Chipmunks - The Chipmunks Sing the Beatles Hits. Um...yeah. A neat novelty but that's it.

The Monkees - Pool It! Let's just say that this 80s reunion album is the definition of "dated."

The White Stripes - Elephant. Found it for really cheap so I took the plunge. Love it.

Various artists - Singles soundtrack. This was the ultimate achievement for grunge music, but the highlight here is actually a Led Zeppelin cover by Ann and Nancy Wilson. Whoda thunk it?

Various artists - Stoned Immaculate: The Music of the Doors. A Doors tribute album with STP and, interestingly enough, the surviving members of the Doors. I guess that's one way to ensure you'll like your tribute album.

Veruca Salt - American Thighs. Their debut, with a few really good songs and a few meh ones. If it weren't for Nina Gordon, it'd be an almost-total dud.

Veruca Salt - Eight Arms to Hold You. Love it, absolutely love it. Best female album ever possibly.

Veruca Salt - IV. And now we get to the post-Nina years. Eww.

"Weird Al" Yankovic - "Headline News" single. Ok, this is why I hate remixes. I bought it for the b-side which is supposed to be a remix of "Christmas at Ground Zero" but there's no difference at all.

Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea. It sucks that Billy Corgan couldn't keep this band together because this is better than 90% of Smashing Pumpkins stuff.

Various artist - Tommy Boy soundtrack. I love the dialogue excerpts and a few of the songs are pretty good.

Stuff I've bought but haven't listened to yet:
Blind Melon - Nico
Blind Melon - Tones of Home: The Best of Blind Melon
Cranberries - Wake Up and Smell the Coffee
Crash Test Dummies - A Worm's Life
Crash Test Dummies - The Ghosts That Haunt Me
Elvis Presley - Second to None
Filter - The Amalgamut
Foo Fighters - "Next Year" single
Garbage - "Androgyny" single
Garbage - Beautifulgarbage
Garbage - "Cherry Lips" single
Garbage - Garbage
Garbage - Version 2.0
Hanson - 3-Car Garage
John Sebastian - The Best Of John Sebastian
Nina Gordon - Tonight and the Rest of My Life
No Doubt - "Underneath it All" single
Pearl Jam - "Dissident" single
Sam Cooke - The Rhythm and the Blues
Smashing Pumpkins - "Cherub Rock" single
Smashing Pumpkins - "Disarm" single
Smashing Pumpkins - Lull
Soundgarden - Screaming Life/Fopp
Stone Temple Pilots - "Plush" single
Veruca Salt - Resolver
"Weird Al" Yankovic - "Amish Paradise" single
Various artists - The Concert for New York City

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 11:51 PM   #58
Legs
Sun King

Quite some list, I thougth I had bought a lot of new stuff recently but fortunately my list is rather short compared to yours.

Letter from Egypt - Morten Harket.

Dot of black in the blue of your bliss - Magne F
Sollo albums from two A-ha members.
While Morten has the voice Magne has the songs. Tho there are some typical melodic ballads on Morten's album Magne has more interesting songs in a new direction I like more.

Among the stars - Mike Pinder

Remastered edition. The original version of this album by former Moody Blues member, might sound better

Boy - U2

new expanded re-release with lots of interesting bonus tracks on the second cd.

October - U2,

see above. Now this is the way The Beatles catalogue should be re-released. Original album on cd 1 and interesting outtakes, live stuff on the second cd.

Northern Soul - The Verve
Urban Hymns - The Verve

I tried Oasis and Blur back in the 90's, however I just found out that The Verve was the real deal all this time. Forget Blur and Oasis. Two albums I should have bought back then, strangely I did buy Richard Ashcroft's first solo album the day it was released. One of the best albums ever imo.

If pre-orders count
Forth - The Verve.
I migth be the last one to buy Urban Hymns, but I am sure going to be the first buying the new one. I already downloaded the "Love is noise" ep.

Isle Of Wight - The Moody Blues

Looking forward to this, I do have a bootleg which was already very good, the official release ought to be better.

If downloads count.

Live in Paris - U2
Great live versions of the songs up to the Joshua Tree album.

Been awhile since I bought some vinyl.

Last edited by Legs : Aug 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 01:45 PM   #59
BeatleChick
Sgt. Pepper

Wow...

I can't believe I've been missing this thread, especially considering I started it, and I've probably bought hundreds of albums since! Lol.

Anyway... my 'latest' (like, in the last few weeks) acquisitions are:

Paul Weller--22 Dreams (deluxe editon) (well, got that a little ways back...)
Foxboro Hot Tubs (they're not bad, surprisingly): Stop Drop and Roll
Velvet Underground--White Light, White Heat
VU--VU
VU--Live Vol 1 & Vol 2
Housemartins--London 0 Hull 4
Arthur Alexander--A Shot of Rhythm and Soul
Sara Bareillis--Little Voice
She and Him--Volume 1
Flying Burrito Brothers--Burrito Deluxe
FBB--The Gilded Palace of Sin
The Verve--Forth
Seasick Steve--Dog House Music
British Sea Power--The Decline of British Sea Power
Modey Lemon--The Curious City and Thunder & Lightning
The Editors--An End Has a Start and The Back Room
Fleet Foxes
The Stones--England's Newest Hit Makers
The Stones--12 x 5
The Stones--Out of Our Heads (both the US and the UK versions)
The Stones--December's Children (and Everybody's)
The Stones--Now!
The Stones--Aftermath (US and UK versions)
Mary Hopkin--Earth Song, Ocean Song
Booker T and the MGs--Melting Pot
Booker T and the MGs--Soul Men
The Complete Stax Volt Singles (1959-1968)
Dexy's Midnight Runners--Don't Stand Me Down
DMR--Projected Passion Revue
DMR--Too Rye Ay
Moody Blues Live At the BBC
Wild Billy Childish Christmas 1979

And I *think* that's it...

lol

Just a few, I know...

(And I should note, I wasn't very impressed with Modey Lemon, or the Editors... and I'm still making up my mind about British Sea Power, and the Fleet Foxes)

Last edited by BeatleChick : Aug 24, 2008 at 01:46 PM.
BeatleChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 02:43 PM   #60
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatleChick View Post
Wow...

I can't believe I've been missing this thread, especially considering I started it, and I've probably bought hundreds of albums since! Lol.

Anyway... my 'latest' (like, in the last few weeks) acquisitions are:

Paul Weller--22 Dreams (deluxe editon) (well, got that a little ways back...)

The Verve--Forth

Moody Blues Live At the BBC
Some great choises, tho I have yet to hear Paul's albums and the one by The Verve completly. What did you think of those.
Moody Blues at the BBC is excelent.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote