BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Jul 17, 2004, 09:42 PM   #21
EnchantingLennon
Dr. Robert

Default Re: songs you dislike (or hate)

[ QUOTE ]
luvsthebeatles Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
EnchantingLennon Posted:
My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you dead serious?? I've always loved that song!

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I like it but then it played and played and played until I was ready to kill
EnchantingLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 04:17 PM   #22
motherTheresa
Old Brown Shoe

war by edwin starr (?)

i heard this in the car today & i'm like, " i hate this

song!"
i know it's trying to make a point, but with

all the BOMBAST, the message gets lost...."war, GRUNT, GOOD

GOD Y'ALL!"

arrgh...
motherTheresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 07:02 AM   #23
Sexie Sadie
Rocky Raccoon

"Space Cowboy" by The Steve Miller Band always kills me...and any RAP, bubblegum pop, punk pop, nu metal, psudointellectual garbage, and contemporary r&b...ew
Sexie Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 07:20 AM   #24
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

"Squeeze Box" by the Who. I have ALWAYS hated that song...and I'm a huge Who fan! Ugh, ugh, ugh! Sexist, tasteless, disgusting...I could go on, but you get the idea...I'll forgive Pete Townshend nearly anything, but not that song!

Nearly any rap song. Of course, in my book, "rap" and "music" are mutually exclusive terms. I don't mind ones where you can actually understand the words and they aren't foul, but those are few and far between.

"No Apologies" by Nirvana -- I can't understand a blessed thing he's saying, it sounds like the whining and slurring of a drunk man to me. Ditto for "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

"My Heart Will Go On." Celine doesn't really bother me, I think she has a nice voice, but that song...ugh, talk about overplayed. If I never heard it again it would be too soon.

"Burnin' Love" by Elvis Presley -- a hunk-a hunk-a burnin' dreck as far as I'm concerned! I got sick of that one in the 70s!

Anything by Titney, Christina, Backside Boys, N'Suck...you get the idea...overproduced, manufactured pablum by no-talent no-accounts.

I know there are more, but those are at the top of my annoyance list today!
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 08:53 AM   #25
jtal909
Sun King

[ QUOTE ]
Sexie Sadie Posted:
"Space Cowboy" by The Steve Miller Band always kills me...

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya on this one, Sadie.
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:04 AM   #26
EL PARANOIA
Apple Scruff

My heart will go on, by Celine Dion
The greatest love of all and I will always love you, by Whitney Houston
Let me roll it, by you already know who

Too many to mention...
EL PARANOIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 07:52 PM   #27
Beatle_soul
Dr. Robert

[ QUOTE ]
Mr.Mustard Posted:
"going to the chapel and were gonna get married".I'm not sure if thats the name or who it's by. it was out in the early-mid 60's. I hated it as a little kid when it was out and dislike it even more now.

[/ QUOTE ]

ooooh i hate that! it was stuck in my head for two days!
Beatle_soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 09:58 PM   #28
Blackguard
Paperback Writer

[ QUOTE ]
HMVNipper Posted:
"Squeeze Box" by the Who. I have ALWAYS hated that song...and I'm a huge Who fan! Ugh, ugh, ugh! Sexist, tasteless, disgusting...I could go on, but you get the idea...I'll forgive Pete Townshend nearly anything, but not that song!

"No Apologies" by Nirvana -- I can't understand a blessed thing he's saying, it sounds like the whining and slurring of a drunk man to me. Ditto for "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

[/ QUOTE ]

Well on first listen Squeeze Box would sound sexist, I agree. Then comes the subsequent listens...and the real meaning of the song becomes clear. The slang term for an accordian is a squeeze box. It's a tounge in cheek song about learning to play the instrument.

Question: Why is it only Ray Davies and Pete Townshend can get these 3 minute dirty jokes on the radio?

But I whole heartedly agree on the Nirvana point you make. Kurt Cobain was the most overrated songwriter in the grunge genre. Some have said he was the second coming of John Lennon. Hello! Anyone listening? Cobain got famous for writing formulaic tripe. He songs would start in his normal voice. THEN HE GOT LOUD! Then for effect the next verse was very soft almost spoken. The song would then end in his normal singing voice. When ever did Lennon write songs like that? Top it all of to say that the only other person who would mumble and garble his lyrics like Cobain did was and is Bob Dylan. The most honored marble mouth ever.
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:31 PM   #29
scott500
Apple Scruff

the worst song ever award goes to , ' Never been to me" by Charlene. It is the worst, hows some of the words in that pathetic piece. " the same man your going to make love with tonight. thats true , thats love" ha ha how bad is that.
scott500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 03:49 AM   #30
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

[ QUOTE ]
Blackguard Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
HMVNipper Posted:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well on first listen Squeeze Box would sound sexist, I agree. Then comes the subsequent listens...and the real meaning of the song becomes clear. The slang term for an accordian is a squeeze box. It's a tounge in cheek song about learning to play the instrument.

Question: Why is it only Ray Davies and Pete Townshend can get these 3 minute dirty jokes on the radio?

But I whole heartedly agree on the Nirvana point you make. Kurt Cobain was the most overrated songwriter in the grunge genre. Some have said he was the second coming of John Lennon. Hello! Anyone listening? Cobain got famous for writing formulaic tripe. He songs would start in his normal voice. THEN HE GOT LOUD! Then for effect the next verse was very soft almost spoken. The song would then end in his normal singing voice. When ever did Lennon write songs like that? Top it all of to say that the only other person who would mumble and garble his lyrics like Cobain did was and is Bob Dylan. The most honored marble mouth ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed with you re Nirvana and Kurt Cobain...absolutely. And frankly, to even mention Bob Dylan in the same sentence is an insult to Bob!

But...re the song Squeeze Box...oh, I know what it's slang for, but I remember reading an interview years ago with Pete where he said that it was indeed about...well...you know...because, as I recall he put it in the interview, he "loves t*ts." If that ain't sexist, then I don't know what is! So, yes, I know what it's SUPPOSED to be, but frankly, he knew exactly what he was REALLY saying. (And mind you, the Who have a few other songs that could be construed as sexist too -- but I don't mind those anywhere near as much. I simply cannot stand that particular song!)

And speaking of sexist and misogynistic -- here's another song I can't stand: "Under My Thumb" by the Rolling Stones. Makes my blood boil -- and no, I'm not trying to place today's values on an old song, either. I think those lyrics were demeaning to women even back then in the days before so-called "women's lib." Ugh!
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:39 AM   #31
BrazilianFlag
Bulldog

Billy Paul's version of "Your Song" (Elton John) makes me run for cover. For one reason or another, a DJ at my favourite radio station always played that one on the morning show...talk about torture!

Also, anything by N'Sync. I'm highly resistant to Britney, Christina and others (having three younger sisters, I had to grow a thick skin on this matter), but N'Sync gets me screaming "bloody mercy!"
BrazilianFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 07:52 PM   #32
Ailurophile
Nowhere Man

Such pain to hear any of your favorite songs maligned . . . but it's okay. I hope I don't hurt anybody too much with what I'm about to say.

[ QUOTE ]
HMVNipper Posted:

Nearly any rap song. Of course, in my book, "rap" and "music" are mutually exclusive terms. I don't mind ones where you can actually understand the words and they aren't foul, but those are few and far between.

"Burnin' Love" by Elvis Presley -- a hunk-a hunk-a burnin' dreck as far as I'm concerned! I got sick of that one in the 70s!

Anything by Titney, Christina, Backside Boys, N'Suck...you get the idea...overproduced, manufactured pablum by no-talent no-accounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Christina" is a hard name to work with, eh?

I completely agree with you about rap/synthesized pop. People only listen to that because they've never paid attention to anything good--it's easy not to ever really listen to the Beatles when all the oldies stations are playing "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "Love Me Do" all the time. You get accustomed to it and you don't even think about it. I also hate self-indulgent prog rock, eighties metal, nu-metal, goth, thrash metal, speed metal, poser punk (i.e everything except Ramones and Sex Pistols), and eighties pop.

Do you mean "All Apologies"? I've never heard of "No Apologies", so maybe I'm talking about a different song. But All Apologies is actually the only thing by Nirvana I really like, it's the only thing they ever did that was really kind of pretty. I can understand most of what he's saying . . . "all and all is all we are." Which of course means something very deep *cough*. But it's light years above Teen Spirit/As You Are/Lithium &c. &c. &c.

And as for the hunk a' hunk of burning dreck . . . this to my ears is a PERFECT description of everything ElvPres ever did! I can't for the life of me understand what anyone sees in him or, more importantly, why anyone would ever listen to him . . . he never even wrote his own songs! It's a mystery to me. I know the Beatles loved him and everything, but still. I hate his voice, I hate his face, I hate his clothes, I hate his hair, I hate his songs, I hate his name, I hate his attitude! People say is voice is "sexy", but I just don't understand, I guess. It sounds fat and gross to me. Which is the same way he looks. And they say he has "passion". . . but I can hear nothing but burning dreck.
Ailurophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 06:59 AM   #33
jtal909
Sun King

Elvis lost his edge when he started doing Vegas in overweight jumpsuits.
It's too bad that that overshadows his early pre-Beatles work like Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel, and Love Me Tender when he brought a new rock sound and style to the main stream.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 09:31 AM   #34
IWantToTellYou
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to IWantToTellYou

[ QUOTE ]
HMVNipper Posted:

[/ QUOTE ]

Manufactured Pablum?!? I have fallen and I can't get up! Hilarious! I agree...

Here are a few of my own personal "unfavourites":

Stairway To Heaven. Yes, so sue me. I HATE this song. Everytime I hear it I become enraged. I want to pull my hair out, and want throw the stereo out the apartment window. I loathe this song with the passion of 1,000 white hot desert suns.

If I Had A Million Dollars. Awww, isn't it sweet. The Bare Naked Ladies, Canada's darlings. I cannot stand any of their songs for that matter, I hate the guys. They can't sing, and they aren't even anything to look at. Sure, they can play instruments, but why the hell are these guys so popular, I'll never figure it out?

Takin' Care Of Business. Okay, it seems I am picking on the Canadians a bit here. This song has worked itself...to death.

Okay, I have more, but even thinking about these songs that I hate makes me want to go and punch something. So, I think I will stop here for now.
IWantToTellYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 09:35 AM   #35
luvsthebeatles
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to luvsthebeatles Send a message via Yahoo to luvsthebeatles

[ QUOTE ]
HMVNipper Posted:
...Backside Boys, N'Suck...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! They both are terrible!
luvsthebeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 09:36 AM   #36
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

"The Name Game," a late 1964 atrocity by Shirley Ellis. I think it is the most asinine and atrocious thing ever recorded. If that word salad is a song, then I'm a Beatle! I hate it so much that I just can't listen to it and when I was little, I'd run into the room and turn off the radio if it came on. One time I climbed from the back seat over to the front seat of the Ford Falcon to turn it off and another time I ran out of a store when I heard it. (I was very little then). I still abhor it to where I just can't listen to it and for me it is torture.

"I Want Candy," a 1965 atrocity by the Strangeloves. I still hate it.

"Everybody Loves Somebody Sometimes" by Dean Martin. I would rather have otitis media, hear sirens, car alarms, train whistles and foghorns than this one. I'd also rather hear a stick across canvas :eeek: because as painful and atrocious as that is, it's preferable to this song.

"Can't Help Myself," a 1965 punishment by the 4 Tops. I hate the 4 Tops and when I was little, I said "Sugarpie is bad! I hate it!" I still hate the song and find it tantamount to screechy chalk on a blackboard. It is punishment for my ears.

I can't stand the Hollies' 1967 "Carrie Ann."

The Supremes' 1968 "Love Child" is very upsetting to me. I think it has a very bad message ("before we end up hating the child we may be creating. Love child - never meant to be.") I hate the song and the lyrics even more.

I don't like the 4 Seasons and Frankie V's voice makes me think of a screeching cat. (sp).

Any Celine Dion.

"Every Breath You Take," the overplayed 1983 Police song. I got so sick of that song that to this day I am soured on it. I wouldn't hate it today had I not been saturated with it when it came out.

Titney, the Backside Boys, Spice Ghouls, In Suck and 98 Degrees Fahrenheit and others of their ilk don't work for me either.

Shania Twain's 1995 "Any Man of Mine." I hate the violins in this one. It makes my bangs stand on end!
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 10:45 AM   #37
jtal909
Sun King

[ QUOTE ]
IWantToTellYou Posted:

Here are a few of my own personal "unfavourites":
Stairway To Heaven. Yes, so sue me. I HATE this song. Everytime I hear it I become enraged. I want to pull my hair out, and want throw the stereo out the apartment window. I loathe this song with the passion of 1,000 white hot desert suns.

[/ QUOTE ]

That and also Free Bird. Two songs that are so played out but I never liked them in the first place.
Every aspiring guitarist would learn Stairway and you'd hear it played badly by 3 different people in a music store at a time trying out guitars.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 10:48 AM   #38
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I hate the Knack's 1979 "My Sharona."

I can't stand "On My Own." That one got so over played I still hate it. My former neighbor played that one out when her partner left her and since it was summer, people had their windows open and I bore the brunt of that dreadful song. (She lived below me and that damn tune would be played quite loud).

I also hate "Who Let the Dogs Out." That one should be impounded!
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 12:52 PM   #39
luvsthebeatles
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to luvsthebeatles Send a message via Yahoo to luvsthebeatles

[ QUOTE ]
beatlebangs1964 Posted:
I also hate "Who Let the Dogs Out." That one should be impounded!

[/ QUOTE ]
Amen!
luvsthebeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 06:01 PM   #40
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

[ QUOTE ]
IWantToTellYou Posted: Stairway To Heaven. Yes, so sue me. I HATE this song.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you're not alone. I hate that song too. TOTALLY overrated. But then, I've never "gotten" the whole Zep thing at all...

Another one I hate? I HAAAAAAAAATE Billy Joel's "She's Always A Woman". I normally like the guy (at least his early stuff), but this sounds like a Geritol commercial.

Oh, and I agree about "Under My Thumb"...the lyrics are so awful that I can't even forget them and just listen to the cool COOL sound of that song.
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote