BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Jun 09, 2002, 10:43 PM   #61
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

Default Re: Fifa World Cup 2002

Here's the story from Canadian Press:Violence erupts in Russia following World Cup loss to Japan, Brazil advances

Canadian Press

Sunday, June 09, 2002

(CP) - Fan violence reared its ugly head in Moscow following Russia's 1-0 loss to Japan at the World Cup while Brazil advanced to the second round without playing on Sunday.

One man was killed and an estimated 27 hospitalized in riots near the Kremlin where Russian fans had watched their team go down in defeat on a big screen. Store windows were smashed, cars were set on fire and a group of Japanese musicians attending a Tchaikovsky musical competition were attacked.

A spokesman for the mayor of Moscow said the city would stop showing the matches on big outdoor screens.

The riot was "an insult to the millions of people who supported the Russian team," said Alexei Volin, deputy chief of the Russian cabinet's staff.

A 1-1 tie between Costa Rica and Turkey allowed Brazil, winner of its first two games, to clinch a second-round berth out of Group C and join Spain as the only teams to advance so far.

Mexico put the pressure on Italy in Group G with a come-from-behind 2-1 win over Ecuador.

On Monday, the U.S. was to meet co-host South Korea in a game that South Korean President Kim Dae-jung elected not to attend because of security concerns, according to FIFA, the world governing body of soccer. An estimated 10,000 police in and around the stadium in Daegu were expected to oversee the match.

Japan earned its first World Cup win ever when Arsenal midfielder Junichi Inamoto scored his second of the tournament to beat Russia 1-0.

The co-hosts now need only a draw in their final first-round game against Tunisia on Friday to reach the round of 16.

Atsushi Yanagisawa made a perfect one-touch pass from midfield to Hidetoshi Nakata, who found Inamoto near the front of the goal in the 51st minute.

"Sure, I'm happy to score again," said Inamoto. "But team results are more important than individual ones and we still need to qualify for the second round."

The jubilant scene near Tokyo's Shinjuku train station was in stark contract to Moscow's violence as young Japanese fans jumped and danced in circles, clapping and singing and giving high fives to anyone wearing blue Japanese soccer jerseys, which was a rare outpouring of emotion in this country.

"I hugged total strangers," said Kazuhiko Ohkawa, who wore a Japanese flag plastered on his cheek.

Winston Parks kept the Costa Ricans from disaster with a left-footed shot in the 86th minute, to the dismay of Turkish fans gathered to watch the game in the city squares of Ankara and Istanbul.

Emre Belozoglu's goal for Turkey in the 56th minute had sent shopkeepers in a mall in Ankara running out and yelling "Goal!" and "Turkey! Turkey!", only to be silenced by Parks' goal.

Mexico sits atop the table with six points followed by Italy and Croatia with three. The Italians, still reeling from two disallowed goals in a loss to Croatia the day before, meet the Mexicans in the last game of the first round on Thursday.

"If we can play a good match against Italy, we will be just fine," said Mexican defender Melvin Brown. "We just have to suffer a little more."

Southampton striker Agustin Delgado scored Ecuador's first World Cup goal in the fifth minute, but Jared Borgetti replied for Mexico in the 28th minute, one-touching a Ramon Morales pass.

Gerardo Torrado scored the go-ahead goal in the 57th minute when he blasted home a soft pass from Joahan Rodriguez.

In other news, Calgary's Owen Hargreaves will undergo a scan on Monday to determine the extent of a leg injury suffered in a collision with England teammate Michael Owen in Friday's 1-0 win over Argentina. An X-ray has shown Hargreaves did not break any bones.

But coach Sven-Goran Eriksson is working on the assumption the 21-year-old Bayern Munich midfielder will not be able to play in Wednesday's game against Nigeria. Canadian assistant referee Hector Vergara of Winnipeg has been assigned to that game.

French star Zinedine Zidane trained well with his team for a second straight day, which has further raised France's hopes that he can save the defending champion from elimination in Tuesday's game against Denmark.

© Copyright 2002 The Canadian Press

------------------
Tim

Tim Brent's Yellow Submarine Page
The Beatles' Record Advertisements
The Beatles' Record Covers Yahoo! Club
The Beatles Video Theatre
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2002, 04:11 AM   #62
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

Wow! France's out

------------------
"Because there wasn't any reason left to keep it all inside"
- Paul McCartney, 1982
Amalthea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2002, 04:46 AM   #63
Dale
Apple Scruff

God!!

France shocked me!

------------------
George
Paul
John
Ringo
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2002, 04:52 AM   #64
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

France are the first holders since brazil in 1966 not to go through to the 2nd round.

------------------
Tim

Tim Brent's Yellow Submarine Page
The Beatles' Record Advertisements
The Beatles' Record Covers Yahoo! Club
The Beatles Video Theatre
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2002, 06:29 PM   #65
darkhorse
Sun King

And the first ones not to score a single goal.

The results:

Group A
Denmark 2 - France 0
Senegal 3 - Uruguay 3

Final Positions
---------------
Denmark - 7*
Senegal - 5*
Uruguay - 2
France - 1

Group B

Germany 2 - Cameroon 0
Ireland 3 - Saudi Arabia 0

Positions
---------
Germany - 7*
Ireland - 5*
Cameroon - 4
Saudi Arabia - 0

------------------
"Take my smile and my heart, they were yours from the start
The pieces to omit are mine" ~ George, 1987

[This Message Has Been Edited By darkhorse On June 11, 2002 06:34 PM]
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2002, 06:33 PM   #66
darkhorse
Sun King

Surprises about France... and more surprises to come as all the groups come to an end:

Today -
Argentina v Sweden
Nigeria v England
(Group F)

Spain (qualified) v South Africa
Eslovenia v Paraguay
(Group B)

------------------
Old Jun 11, 2002, 08:42 PM   #67
HeyBeatle
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HeyBeatle Send a message via MSN to HeyBeatle

Who won on the Korea/US match up. I saw a bit of it on television but never saw the end.

------------------
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else is.

~If you don't mind, I'm going to bed before either of you come up with another idea to get us killed, or worse expelled!
~She needs to sort of her priorities.
HeyBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2002, 11:14 PM   #68
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

Usa Korea, 1:1

And... England, England, England, England, England, England, England... *crosses fingers*

------------------
- Paul McCartney, 1982
Old Jun 11, 2002, 11:31 PM   #69
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

Noooooooo, I woke up, I was waiting to watch the match, and what I discover? They ain't gonna air it! There's instead Argentina-Sweden... I know it's more important, but they could've used another rai channel.

------------------
- Paul McCartney, 1982
Old Jun 12, 2002, 01:32 AM   #70
lucyinthesky_84
Taxman

Argentina's out. I can't believe it. I bet on Arg & France to be the finalists and now... they're not even in the 1/8 finals!

And yay! England ARE!!

------------------
Half of what I say is meaningless...
lucyinthesky_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2002, 08:58 AM   #71
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

YES! Thanks for the good news, lucy!!

And, in spite of all, I am sorry for Argentina... I admit I was happy when England won last Friday, but actually, they deserved to pass in the octaves... not for all, but in fact, that would have brought the country some distraction, and maybe some popularity they really deserved... that makes more sad, since I know that Sweden won't go that far, and Argentina could've had... well, we say del senno di poi son piene le fosse (something like it's easy to sayu things later)... let's see the next few days, now

------------------
- Paul McCartney, 1982
Old Jun 12, 2002, 06:49 PM   #72
darkhorse
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Amalthea:
they deserved to pass in the octaves... not for all, but in fact, that would have brought the country some distraction<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It was so heartbreaking to see our Argentine neighbours (usually our traditional rivals), summed up in a terrible political/economical chaos, who put all of their hopes in this group of football players and got terribly disappointed. It was the crying of a country that was living for the soccer. That's what makes it so sad... But then again that's what football is about... "There's no use in crying, it's all over".

Anyway, for the record:

Group F
Argentina 1 - Sweden 1
England 0 - Nigeria 0

Positions
---------
Sweden - 5*
England - 5*
Argentina - 4
Nigeria - 0

In the other group, Spain saved Paraguay, and the south american team luckily qualified with just one goal of advantage against South Africa... Results:

Group C
Spain 3 - South Africa 2
Paraguay 3 - Slovenia 1

Positions
---------
Spain - 9*
Paraguay - 4*
South Africa - 4
Slovenia - 0

Confirmed games for next round
England v Denmark
Sweden v Senegal
Germany v Paraguay
Spain v Ireland

------------------
Old Jun 12, 2002, 06:52 PM   #73
darkhorse
Sun King

And today, please please please let's hope that Italy doesn't go away (I know you'd like it Carola, but still I'm very much an Italy fan... )... they're up against Mexico in the end of Group G:

Italy v Mexico
Croatia v Ecuador

and in other group, Costa Rica play all of their luck against qualified team Brazil... Let's see what happens in the last matches of Group C

Brazil v Costa Rica
Turkey v China

------------------
Old Jun 13, 2002, 12:54 AM   #74
Sally
Sgt. Pepper

That's it, we are now through to the next round, what a relief. It was wierd this morning with no traffic and no rush hour while the footie was on, we were lucky enough to have big screens set up outside in the square.

------------------
"But they do though don't they though, don't they?"
Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2002, 04:42 AM   #75
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

Match is on now, streets are empty, my house is full...

------------------
- Paul McCartney, 1982
Old Jun 13, 2002, 08:04 AM   #76
lucyinthesky_84
Taxman

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Amalthea:
Match is on now, streets are empty, my house is full...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe... I guess your house is very happy now.

------------------
Half of what I say is meaningless...
lucyinthesky_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2002, 08:22 PM   #77
darkhorse
Sun King

Group G
Mexico 1 - Italy 1

Mexico and Italy both confirmed their presence in the second round with a hard-fought draw in Oita, Japan, as a goal five minutes from time by Alessandro Del Piero dramatically equalised Jared Borgetti’s tremendous first half header.

Mexico were minutes away from recording their first ever victory over the Italians, but the desperate Europeans poured on the pressure until the goal came their way thanks to Del Piero, who had come on the field only minutes before.

Filippo Inzaghi had the first chance of the game, but his ambitious volley from 25 metres was taken in by Mexico goalkeeper Oscar Perez (8’). Inzaghi beat Perez on a second chance from the top of the penalty area, but was ruled offside (13’).

Match facts
Mexico enjoyed an edge in possession over the first quarter hour, but their patient attack did not produce any shots until Gerardo Torrado’s 25-metre chance sailed well over the crossbar (17’).

Italy were unlucky again when Francesco Totti missed wide from 12 metres with only Perez in the way. Inzaghi dribbled through a crowd at the edge of the penalty area and fed Totti at the left side of the box. The AS Roma striker had time to settle the ball but curled his shot outside the far post (19’).

Christian Vieri, who had scored each of Italy’s three finals goals entering the match, followed with a volley from 18 metres that was saved by Perez (22’).

Some strong defence and a little luck were with Mexico and when their possession game had seemed to lull Italy to sleep, Cuauhtemoc Blanco laid a beautiful chip to the near post onto the head of Jared Borgetti, who spun in the air and flicked a header past Gianluigi Buffon, who never moved (1:0, 35’).

Gianluca Zambrotta had another great chance for Italy as he ran onto a drop-pass from Vieri 16 metres out but fired well wide (40’). And when the half ended, the Azzurri only had a deficit and several near misses to their credit.

Italy continued to come at Mexico as the second half began, and it was Inzaghi who nearly pulled his side level when he was sent in alone on goal. Perez was able to disrupt the run when he sprawled to get a hand on the ball as Inzaghi tried to dribble past him (51’).

A clinical one-two by Jesus Arellano and Blanco nearly concluded with Arellano netting the second for the Tricolores, but Buffon got a hand on the shot and his defence cleared the rebound (54’).

Italy’s growing frustration at not finding the net became evident when Zambrotta and Vincenzo Montella were each cautioned in the space of two minutes.

Mexico followed with a shot from the left of the area by Ramon Morales that sailed high (57’) and a chance from Joahan Rodriguez that drifted just wide (61’).

As they had in the first half, Italy found the back of the net again when Montella lobbed over a charging Perez, but for a second time, the assistant referee’s flag had been raised, signalling offside (64’).

Perez and his outstretched frame were vital again for Mexico when Vieri was sent in from 25 metres. The Inter Milan forward tried to settle the ball and direct a shot toward goal, but Perez slid in and parried the ball out for a corner kick (72’).

When Rafael Garcia fouled Zambrotta just outside the area, Italy were presented with another opportunity, but Montella’s free kick did not clear the wall (83’).

A throw-in on the right side turned into the equaliser for Italy when Montella played a sharp cross over his shoulder into the area and late substitute Alessandro Del Piero raced in unmarked to head past Perez (1:1, 85’).

Ecuador 1 - Croatia 1

Positions
---------
Mexico - 7*
Italy - 4*
Croatia - 4
Ecuador - 4

Group C

Brazil 5 - Costa Rica 2
Turkey 3 - China 0

Positions
---------
Brazil - 9*
Turkey - 4*
Costa Rica - 4
China - 0

------------------
Old Jun 13, 2002, 08:25 PM   #78
darkhorse
Sun King

Saint Ecuador saved Italy from a disasterous elimination, because they played a horrid game against Mexico... Thankfully Del Piero scored a great goal in the '85 minute and Italy's in the next round... Strangest things have happened in this World Cup.

Today it's the time for deciding the last four qualified teams:

Tunisia v Japan
Belgica v Russia

Portugal v Korea
United States v Poland

Good luck, y'all.

------------------
Old Jun 13, 2002, 11:37 PM   #79
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

Yep, Amy... pretty an happy home, thanksfully it emptied out soon after the end of the match, since you know, it's working time that hour

And I got a question, maybe someone can asnwers me:

How come that England played its match Wednsesday and the octave match is Saturday, and, for example, Italy played in Thursday and is going to play Tuesday? Why we just got 2 days, and others, like Italy, 4 days?

------------------
- Paul McCartney, 1982
Old Jun 14, 2002, 07:19 AM   #80
Hari's Chick

I just heard Poland won...but the US is going on anyway...??? Does Poland also? Hope so!! Yeah, Poland!!!!

------------------
"The Lord or God, has got a million names, whatever you want to call Him, it doesn't matter as long as you call Him."
Check out Prtha's site: www.geocities.com/priitaa/gh_and_sp.htm
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote