BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Dec 08, 2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Smile Thoughts about John this December 8th...

I can't believe it's been 33 years! It seems unreal, but then again Julian did turn 50 this year- 10 years older than his dad got to live. And Sean turned 38. Sean! 38. It's just incredible how fast time seems to have flew, and so bittersweet because John should be here as well. Instead of dwelling too much into sadness, I thought I'd create a thread for any of us to share our thoughts about John and what you're thinking about most regarding him on this day.

I've been playing John's solo music on my drive to work for the past month and it never fails to amaze me how great his work was. I love practically everything. I love how John could be biting and direct, but also achingly sentimental and romantic. He had so any sides to his personality and each one was so interesting.

I had hoped that I could have finished the "Rock & Roll Analysis" and we could have started "Double Fantasy" in November and be able to reflect on those songs now during this (extremely sad) anniversary, but it didn't happen. Things happen for a reason, so it's ok. I think any analysis of any John albums is a great thing to do because it allows you to go back to songs you may have not listened to in a long time and recognize the power of his voice all over again.

So right now I just want us to use this thread as a little back and forth of things you love, and miss most about John, or random thoughts you have in this day. I hope we can make a few more threads. Let's spam in John's memory this day!

Unbelievable. 33 years...miss you all the time John.

Old Dec 08, 2013, 10:34 AM   #2
wallrus59
Bulldog

Default Missed.

gk.

wallrus59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2013, 10:38 AM   #3
wallrus59
Bulldog

gk. :(

Old Dec 08, 2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Post On this sad day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
I can't believe it's been 33 years! It seems unreal, but then again Julian did turn 50 this year- 10 years older than his dad got to live. And Sean turned 38. Sean! 38. It's just incredible how fast time seems to have flew, and so bittersweet because John should be here as well. Instead of dwelling too much into sadness, I thought I'd create a thread for any of us to share our thoughts about John and what you're thinking about most regarding him on this day.
Yes, it's unbelievable that John has gone for 33 years now; time really flies... Still, he lives on, not only in his (and Beatles) music, but also in his art and books. I've been regularly listen to his music since my childhood, so he won't ever be dead to me for sure.

It's just a pity that neither Sean nor Julian have gotten half the popularity of their famous dad; still waiting and hoping for some hits, well... Another dream of me would be some kind of CD or even box with some bootlegs of John. Would be nice to have some new release, it's about time... Yoko, don't you hear me ??

But meanwhile I guess there is enough stuff of John's legacy to discuss and analyse, it's just up to the other John-fans in this forum to bring up enough interest to make John's spirits live in Menlove Avenue (and not just Apple Scruff). But where the hell are they ??

Nevertheless, John shall never be forgotten !

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Winston O' Boogie
Day Tripper

Missing John ....

I have to disagree with the comment that Sean and Julian have not found the fame as Johns, I've always admired what they have given in terms of music can't hold them to their father's talent as they have plenty of there own.

Both have done some interesting compositions, seeing Sean live for me proves
that Yokos and Johns creative prowess has been inherited.

It's all how you look at one's creativity.
Winston O' Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
Yes, it's unbelievable that John has gone for 33 years now; time really flies... Still, he lives on, not only in his (and Beatles) music, but also in his art and books. I've been regularly listen to his music since my childhood, so he won't ever be dead to me for sure.

It's just a pity that neither Sean nor Julian have gotten half the popularity of their famous dad; still waiting and hoping for some hits, well... Another dream of me would be some kind of CD or even box with some bootlegs of John. Would be nice to have some new release, it's about time... Yoko, don't you hear me ??

But meanwhile I guess there is enough stuff of John's legacy to discuss and analyse, it's just up to the other John-fans in this forum to bring up enough interest to make John's spirits live in Menlove Avenue (and not just Apple Scruff). But where the hell are they ??

Nevertheless, John shall never be forgotten !

Snoopy
I appreciate your sentimental thought son John, Snoopy. I can see how much you ove him through your posts.

I don't really agree with what you said about Julian and Sean. Firstly, Julian had hit songs! His entire Valotte album was a hit and it contained several popular songs they still play on the radio stations (at least in Cleveland). But I don't really think Sean was chasing to have hits. Think about it: for his debut album, he could have immediately signed to a huge record label and focused on making more popular stuff if he wanted to, but he went with an indie label (Grand Royal) and he released an eclectic album that allowed him to express himself on his terms. I think he's done fantastic and Friendly Fire is a wonderful album. I don't see Sean going after making hits at all.

Hit songs aren't what they once were. Years ago, people may have put a little more effort into making something artistic and poignant. Nowadays, any Joe can have a hit song and it's, like, three words over and over to a fast beat. That isn't really impressive to me.

AND it bring me back to JOHN. When I listen to all his non-hit songs I am reminded so much how truly singular and brilliant he was. The non-hits blow away much of the so-called "hits" I hear playing on stations these days. He had a gift for expression in music that was entirely his own. He may not have had the musical prowess of Paul, but he went over and above with the gifts he had. A true genius.
Old Dec 08, 2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallrus59 View Post

My gawd this is beautiful.
Old Dec 08, 2013, 01:44 PM   #8
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallrus59 View Post

Oh no, you didn't, wallrus! That is the saddest song of ALL time. Every time I listen to it, the tears can't be held back.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Maia 66
Sun King

Every December 8th, I can't help but think back to that horrible night and remember the shock and sadness that I felt, the worldwide reaction, and my concern for poor Sean, Julian, and Yoko. I know some people like to focus on his life or choose only to celebrate his birthday, but I can't help it... it's like PTSD, I can relive all the emotions I went through from the moment I heard the announcement on tv.

Today I'm choosing to also think about my earliest memories of John, which was when I was finally old enough to understand the the Beatles were four individuals. It's hard to go back that far because John and the Beatles have been with me my whole life. I remember watching A Hard Day's Night on tv, and the "I bet you can't guess what I was in for" scene really stuck with me. I remember looking endlessly at the White Album poster and the back of the Sgt. Pepper's album, fascinated by John's different looks. I remember news reports about the Bed-Ins and thinking how cool he was. I remember seeing him on the cover of my sister's Rolling Stone. I remember hearing Imagine on the radio in 1971 (when I was 8) and thinking that John must have been the leader of a mass movement of peaceniks and that I wanted to join him. And I remember buying bootleg records (and tapes!) at the Capitol Records swap meet—I got interviews and DJ appearances and other non-musical stuff that introduced me to John the man.

He was like no one else. Still no one as cool and original and real as him. I miss you, John. Roll on...

All I want is the truth

Old Dec 08, 2013, 03:47 PM   #10
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Beautifully stated Maia! I'm actually reliving those memories with you...ok, in my imagination. I feel sort of envious of you, Snoopy, Wallrus, wilde, 4iiiis and others who were old enough to experience John while he was still alive. And those kinds of memories- seeing a new issues of "Rolling Stone" with a new interview of his, being excited for a new album by him, seeing him live on TV, etc. those are things I never got.

So yeah I'm envious, but also SO happy you had them. I love to hear your stories.

So come on others! Post some videos, songs, pictures, ANYTHING...let the celebration of John's life last for the rest of the month and however longer in this thread. I am seriously SO ready to respond to everyone's thoughts.
Old Dec 08, 2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Post some videos, songs, pictures, ANYTHING...let the celebration of John's life last for the rest of the month and however longer in this thread.
Part 1 of a 12-part interview with Klaus, all about John. Great stuff in all the vids:

All I want is the truth

Old Dec 08, 2013, 04:48 PM   #12
Winston O' Boogie
Day Tripper

His humor ... plain and simple ... and reading his books "A Spaniard in the Works", "In His Own Write" and the wonderful "Skywriting by Word of Mouth" only lead us to think he would perhaps have become more involved in writing maybe even his memoirs. That laugh and the funny bits ... his voice so stern yet intimate at times. A joy will always be there for us to hear laugh and yes cry.

Winston O' Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2013, 04:58 PM   #13
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston O' Boogie View Post
His humor ...
He was hilarious. Always wonder if he would've tried his hand at some serious comedy had he lived.

I like this quote by Jon Wiener, to all the narrow-minded critics who say "he never accomplished anything politically."

Quote:
Lennon’s legacy is not so much the concrete achievements, but rather the hopes, the aspirations, the commitment to try to use his celebrity power not just to become more famous, but to do something good about all the violence in the world. And I think it was that struggle and that willingness to try different things, and the openness about, the honesty about his hopes and his frustrations–I think that’s what makes Lennon so important to a whole generation of people.

All I want is the truth

Old Dec 08, 2013, 05:38 PM   #14
wallrus59
Bulldog

this may upset you...it seems so recent...

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/1...dio_the_n.html

Old Dec 08, 2013, 05:41 PM   #15
wallrus59
Bulldog

out of Memphis...

http://www.slideshare.net/guest582e0...v2-rob-grayson

Old Dec 08, 2013, 05:43 PM   #16
wallrus59
Bulldog

from a Beatles Fan page i belong to on FB

Old Dec 08, 2013, 05:47 PM   #17
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default Thoughts about John this December 8th...

My thoughts and prayers and love are with John today and Yoko and Sean and Julian.And all of us that respected, loved him and his music.Sean himself today posted about this show on his Facebook page.So I thought I would post it here.

WNYC
12/8/2013
A Day to Celebrate Lennon: His Best Works, and Thoughts from Yoko - audio

http://www.wnyc.org/story/day-celebr...thoughts-yoko/
Old Dec 08, 2013, 05:49 PM   #18
wallrus59
Bulldog

peace,
gk.

Old Dec 08, 2013, 05:53 PM   #19
wallrus59