BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old May 04, 2010, 11:39 AM   #1
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

Default Brainwashed

Don't ask me why but I could never bring myself to play this cd.
JudithKristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2010, 12:18 PM   #2
bobdude
Dr. Robert

After you listen to it for the first time Judith, I hope you ask yourself "Why did I wait so long to hear this?" Then immediately play it again! LOL! It's a wonderful, awe inspiring collection of songs. A beautiful final release from George! Seriously, I must've listen to this exclusively for nearly 5 months straight. Stop procrastinating!
Old May 04, 2010, 12:55 PM   #3
JonnyLytnin
Rocky Raccoon

I'm with bobdude on this one. The album is not your typical "posthumous" release. Nothing about this album is mournful or morose. Certainly there are tracks in which you can tell George is dealing with what is to come, but it's in such a way that doesn't feel... I can't think of the word I wanna use, but trust us Judith, you should seriously just pop this in and enjoy the magic that proceeds.

"Everything else can wait, but the search for God cannot wait." -- George Harrison
JonnyLytnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2010, 02:08 PM   #4
hibgal
Sun King

I agree with the guys, JK. It's a neat album and I think Jeff and Dani did George proud when finishing it. Just Marwa Blues is worth it on it's own, simply a wonderful piece of music. It's not at all farewell album, if we call it that. Lots of typical George fun and I, for one, think you're doing yourself a disservice not listening to it.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Hari's Chick

Could it be you hesitated playing it because you want to always have something unheard in the banks? If you don't play it, you'll always have more new, unheard George. It keeps anticipation up, maybe... something to look forward to?

Maybe if that is the case, perhaps when we get some new George material again, you will want to play it. Sometimes I see rare stuff on Youtube and I favorite it, without playing it. Then I play it someday when I really need a smile. I still have not unwrapped the repackaged Concert for Bangla Desh 2005 DVD. I am still looking forward to it. :) If a new lp is released with the film in the fall (I hope!), then I will likely play the DVD. Sometimes I feel we may not get too much more material released.
Old May 04, 2010, 03:47 PM   #6
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
If you don't play it, you'll always have more new, unheard George. It keeps anticipation up, maybe... something to look forward to?
That's a very interesting point of view, HC. I've sometimes done that, not with music but with the last book in a series. If I read it then it's all over. Hm? Still, when I've finally get around to read it I always wish I'd done it sooner! Am I mixed up or what?

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2010, 04:10 PM   #7
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
I've sometimes done that, not with music but with the last book in a series. If I read it then it's all over. Hm?
Yes, exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Still, when I've finally get around to read it I always wish I'd done it sooner! Am I mixed up or what?
Old May 04, 2010, 06:50 PM   #8
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
Could it be you hesitated playing it because you want to always have something unheard in the banks? If you don't play it, you'll always have more new, unheard George. It keeps anticipation up, maybe... something to look forward to?
Good point! It's kinda nice to know there's material out there you still haven't heard...

However, Judith I really encourage you to listen to this one! I can't seem to get enough of it; in fact personally this is probably my second favorite Harrison album after All Things Must Pass. It really is a treasure!
Old May 04, 2010, 07:06 PM   #9
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

What are you waiting for? Listen to it. As others have said, you don't know what you're missing and it is EXcellent!
www.americanpatrol.com[/color]
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2010, 09:37 PM   #10
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

Judith, it's not a downer at all. You should not refuse yourself the pleasure of hearing it. From the very start, what you hear is a vital, joyful, playful, humorous, still very much alive George Harrison. You can almost hear him smiling as he sings each song. It doesn't sound like the work of a dying man at all.

The only song that suggests a "farewell to life" is "Stuck Inside a Cloud", but even on that one (which got a lot of airplay, actually), he's leaning into eternity with peaceful anticipation. And the title track closes the album with something of a sermon to the world and a manifesto of his belief system, along with a meditational piece in Sanskrit to end the listening experience. It's really a great album. I consider it second only to All Things Must Pass in excellence among George's work.

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."

Last edited by Reverend Rock : May 04, 2010 at 09:41 PM.
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2010, 10:34 PM   #11
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

It's a very uplifting CD and I always think of it as George's final gift to us. You even get a special guitar pick with the CD.

I think I understand your inititial hesitation/reluctance to play it. In time, when you are ready, please give it a chance as it is a heart warmer and is very uplifting.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2010, 01:53 AM   #12
taxman
Taxman

This topic made me listen to Brainwashed once again, and what a great album it is!

Go for it, JudithKristen, you don't know what you're missing!
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote