BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Jun 15, 2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Legs
Sun King

Default Memory Almost Full - Your Reviews

I had promised to do a full review, but I can't make up my mind about Paul's latest album. It's one those albums you can listen to in one go, and then put it on again. If I have to sum it up in a few words I'll say it's an happy and very enjoyable album. However the sum is greater then the parts, cause when looking at the individual songs I think that especially the lyrics suffer, and that overall "Chaos and Creation" is a better album.

"Dance Tonight" . A happy song, and I love the sound of it. A song you don't have to worry about the lyrics. Dumb when you just read them on a piece of paper, but somehow the song just works and it can make people happy. Which I think is very important, so Paul is forgiven for it's poor lyrics.

"Ever Present Past". Continues the album in an upbeat manner. With lyrics dealing about Paul's past that still is around him. Maybe because of what he is, and because of his past he hasn't got the time he wished he had to spend with his family and friends, otherwise the line "Don't have much time to be a decent lover" , doesn't make much sense in the context of the song. It maybe should have been a part of the medley, considering its theme.

"See You Sunshine" is a nice breezy song. Some nice great bass playing throughout it. Another uplifting tune. I especially love the bass strange enough.

"Only Mama Knows" . I don't know what to think of it. It certainly rocks, which is welcome. I am not sure about the lyrics tho. It's another made up story like Paul has written lots of times,however unlike a song like "Ob La Di, Ob La Da" I can't imagine Paul singing about a man who was left at an airport by his mam as a child. The guitar work is nothing short of fantastic tho.

"You Tell Me" however does little for me. Normally I like songs with mostly some acoustic guitar, and it reminds me a bit of songs like "Bluebird" and "Heaven On A Sunday". But this one is not as good, to laid back and I don't care for his singing voice here.

"Mr. Bellamy" is another one I didn't know what to think about, but it's among my favourites. I like the style of the song, it's a bit of a throwback to the 60's. Nice blending of piano and weird sounding instruments.

"Gratitude" I like a bit better now, but it's still not among my favourite Paul songs. Paul's voice is to overpowering on this one, again I don't like his singing voice on this one. It would be nice as an instrumental. The lyrics could be seen as refering to Heather. But you can read many things in many different songs. Paul simply states that he has many thinks to be thankfull for, including his family.So it's more general.

"Vintage Clothes" the start of the medley, which Paul claims to consist of 5 songs, but I am not sure how "House of Wax" works within the theme and if it's really part of the medley. "Vintage Clothes" is another uplifting song about celebrating the past and living now. Or more simply just wear your old clothes but don't live in them.

"That Was Me" is another grower. I didn't like the music much, and at first I thought the lyrics was to selfish. "You know the Beatles, that was me". But I got it wrong, it needs to be looked at diferently. The Beatles among other things was part of Paul's life and that's what Paul sings about. It has one of the better lyrics from Paul, I especially love the lines
"The same me that stands here now
And when I think that all this stuff
Can make a life, it's pretty hard to take in"
The music is great to, I think so now.

"Feet In The Clouds" another song I like. Another more personal song, with a good uplifting melody.

"House of Wax" now is among my favourite Paul songs. Such a powerfull song, with great guitar work. Fantastic dark song.

"The end of the end" is not a sad song, despite the heavy subject matter. A rather good song which shows that Paul isn't afraid to write more personal and deeper lyrics.

"Nod Your Head" "It's a good thing to go out with an uplifting song like that. You can talk about dead and go a little deeper, But I thought to let them go off the hook, and end the album more upbeat." It's not the exact Paul quote, but something like that. And as such I don't mind the song. Tho ofcourse it's nothing really briliant.

The three bonus songs are the real treat imo.
"In Private" is a great instrumental reminding me of early Wings.
"222" is a nice jazzy song, with some nice guitar riffs. But "Why So Blue" is classic McCartney and one of the best songs he has written. Everything works the music lyrics and Paul's voice reminds of the old Paul. A classic song.

I like the fact that "Memory Almost Full" is different then "Chaos". Even tho I think "Chaos" has better songs, but "Memory" is more uplifting. Still a very good album, and I think it's great that Paul still comes up with albums like this. Really from "Flowers In The Dirt" onwards Paul had made really good albums, making us forget the dreadfull 80's.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Great review, Legs, I enjoyed reading it.

And I agree with most of it, as "You Tell Me" and "Gratitude" are probably my least favorite tracks. I haven't been hooked as much as you by "House of Wax"...I'll have to give a few more spins and see if it's a "grower". And I haven't spent enough time on the bonus tracks to have an opinion yet. Hope to tomorrow.

I had a different take on the lyrics to "That Was Me"...first time I heard it, it came off kind of like "Wow. Really? That's been MY life? Wow." Not egotistical, like some people seem to see it. And I LOVE the bass on that song, not really his usual style, but it fits the groove, I think.

More later...
Old Jun 16, 2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Lynner

I've not had a chance to listen to this more than one full time yet, so my review will be forthcoming.
For the time being, this topic will be a sticky, so that other fans may post their reviews here, rather than digging through looking for older topics on the album.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 09:53 PM   #4
62hofner

I already gave a review back last month when the album was acquired thru questionable means ...

However, I wanted to add here - instead of posting a new thread - that I finally purchased the three bonus tracks from iTunes a few minutes ago.

Paul's choices on what songs go on albums and which ones do not has always been a puzzle. I love "MAF", but had he just deleted "Yout Tell Me", and "Gratitude" and replaced them with "Why So Blue", and "222", well.... we'd have had a 100% solid album from Paul. "In Private" is also cool, but it is better as a bonus track.

Last edited by 62hofner : Jun 16, 2007 at 09:54 PM.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:11 AM   #5
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post

I had a different take on the lyrics to "That Was Me"...first time I heard it, it came off kind of like "Wow. Really? That's been MY life? Wow." Not egotistical, like some people seem to see it. And I LOVE the bass on that song, not really his usual style, but it fits the groove, I think.

More later...
Exactly. I found it interesting how one can interpret the lyrics differently. At first I indeed thought it was egotistical, but now I hear them differently.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 04:59 PM   #6
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Excellent review, Legs. I will add that while I was not overly fond of "Gratitude," and I always smile at how even a former Beatle (maybe especially a former Beatle) can't dodge that Beatle influence!

As for "That Was Me," I think that was a rather introspective song of Paul in a better place taking stock of his life. Just a thought...

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Jun 20, 2007 at 04:59 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 05:02 PM   #7
mccartneymaniac
Dr. Robert

Wink album

I love it especially House of wax. He really just blows me away with his creativity.He always pushes himself in a new way.I also think when he is in pain he writes some of his best music.I love it.Good job Paul.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 02:37 AM   #8
zipp

I think it's a more fun album than Chaos.As you say, when you get to the end you want to put it on again.If it wasn't for Gratitude, which I don't like, I'd be 100% happy with it.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 04:36 AM   #9
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

"House of Wax" just for those three words...I must get this album.
Thanks for the review Legs, and others' comments as well. Must get this album....
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 05:54 AM   #10
oldbeatlechick
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourmilkpinky View Post
"House of Wax" just for those three words...I must get this album.
Thanks for the review Legs, and others' comments as well. Must get this album....
Get the Deluxe version with the bonus tracks. "Why So Blue" is my favourite song, followed by "House Of Wax" and "Only Mama Knows".
I can't get into "Gratitude", it's my least favourite of all the tracks and this seems to be the general consensus of opinion.

“We didn't all get into music for a job! We got into music to avoid a job, in truth - and get lots of girls.”
Paul McCartney
oldbeatlechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 07:21 AM   #11
Sunshine
Fool On The Hill

I got this a few weeks ago for my birthday. There were a few songs that I totally loved right away. Now more are growing on me. I wish he would do videos for more of the songs. He's sooo cute! I think my favorite track is Only Mama Knows so far. Although for some reason I like See Your Sunshine (hence my nickname on here). It's tough to put the songs into words for me.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 02:35 AM   #12
Pat Peaceman
Little Child

'Mr. Bellamy' is my favorite from this album, although the subject of elderly dementia always makes me depressed. 'That Was Me' is awesome. 'Nod Your Head' rocks bigtime and has that freaky White Album vibe I love so well! Plus, I actually dig 'Gratitude' because of that Oh Darling! type growl he does!

I agree with the original poster that 'Chaos' is better, but exempting that album, this is his best solo since 'Tug of War' imo.

Last edited by Pat Peaceman : Jul 13, 2007 at 02:51 AM.
Pat Peaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 05:31 PM   #13
MaccaGirl2891
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via MSN to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Yahoo to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Skype™ to MaccaGirl2891

I love this album. Enough said.

There's bonus tracks? I don't think I got the one with those on them.
George Harrison - 2/25/1943--11/29/2001
Michael Joseph Jackson - 8/29/1958--6/25/2009
MaccaGirl2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 04:30 AM   #14
AlexaRevolver
Fool On The Hill

Send a message via MSN to AlexaRevolver

I'm gonna be simplistic here, and say its absolutely fantastic!
AlexaRevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 03:47 PM   #15
fabgirl
Apple Scruff

I'm sorry to say that I didn't like this album at all and thought the songs were all ordinary and unmemorable. (I had the same reaction to Chaos and Creation in the Backyard.) I kept wondering how this was the same person who wrote such amazing songs during the Beatles and on his first solo (McCartney) album. Very disappointing...
fabgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:07 PM   #16
jtal909
Sun King

I was also disappointed.
I gave it a once thru and haven't put it back on yet and that was weeks ago.
Although there were a few things that somehat caught my attention there was so much that was middle of the road pop, and I couldn't get into his use of heavier sounds either it seemed forced to me and I really wanted to like it.
There was nothing memorable to me when it played out.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:48 PM   #17
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtal909 View Post
I was also disappointed.
I gave it a once thru and haven't put it back on yet and that was weeks ago.
Although there were a few things that somehat caught my attention there was so much that was middle of the road pop, and I couldn't get into his use of heavier sounds either it seemed forced to me and I really wanted to like it.
There was nothing memorable to me when it played out.
That's how I felt about 'Chaos', and like you said, I really wanted to like it.

I haven't gotten 'Memory' yet (wanted to see the reviews first). Think I'd rather buy the "Instant Karma: Campaign to Save Darfur" cd, which I'll spend my pennies on soon.
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 08:46 AM   #18
Legs
Sun King

The thing is, every new McCartney album gets mostly positive reviews but when another album gets released it's the best album ever or at least since a long time, and the previous one is sudenly considered to be very weak.
MAF is a nice album, but it's certainly not his best. The quality of the songs on "Chaos" is better, and I am tired of some songs on MAF already.

However I don't understand people saying things like, how can this be the same man who wrote...
Imo Paul has released a string of very good albums since "Flaming Pie", or make that "Flowers In The Dirt". We can't expect any real masterpiece, but Paul gets my respect for still releasing very good albums.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 07:36 PM   #19
beatlelover45223

Very well said Legs, I like(sort of???) the songs on the MAF but I have not considered buying this one as of yet

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 04:44 PM   #20
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

I am still rockin to MAF and all the comparisons with Chaos made me go back and listen to that album too. So it's a win-win situation. Rock on Paulie!