BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old May 05, 2010, 05:56 AM   #1
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

Default How important to you is it

... that your spouse/significant other/partner is a Beatles fan as well? I'm just curious, because for the most part I think the Beatles are a big part of our lives. Is it also important you share this interest/passion with your significant other, or is it okay if they just respect that you're a fan and leave it at that?
Old May 05, 2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Maia 66
Sun King

My ex was a big Beatles fan... but that's really not unusual for people my age (he was two years older than me). I find that the vast majority of folks born in the '60s like the Beatles to some extent.

I did have a younger boyfriend once who liked them, but didn't know that much about them... by the time we were done, he was a huge fan!

So, yes... to me, it's important that they at least like the Fabs since they'll be hearing their music every damn day! (And all morning on Sundays!) They don't have to be a total Beatlemaniac, though -- but that would make things easier.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2010, 08:04 PM   #3
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

Yeah, since most of my friends tease me for being a Beatles fan, it would definitely be nice to have a significant other to share this type of interest! I would really love to be able to share my knowledge with another person and receive a response a little more interactive than "Umm... yeah that's nice."
My boyfriend now respects my passion for the Beatles, but I know he thinks it's a tad odd. I wish more of our generation are into the Fabs!
Old May 06, 2010, 08:52 PM   #4
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

Not really all that important. I have a lot of different kinds of music that I like, and my wife and I share a lot of favorite music in common. She certainly likes a good number of Beatles songs, but she's not the kind of Beatles fan I am, and that's really OK with me.

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2010, 05:27 AM   #5
george_on_cloud9
Sun King

My Ex WASN'T! He was always teasing me that the Beatles were this, were that!...

Favorite Beatle: George (1943-2001)

Favorite Beatle year(s): 1966, 1967*, 1968

(*1967 was the year that My Guy was born... my favorite Guy...)

My Quote for George:
"A Butterfly Flying Around Me Saying Goodbye!"
(29/11/2001)
God Bless You, George... Love ya...

"GEORGE ! You just give me stripes, moustache and a smile... cause You're So Fine!"

Song to remember the Past: "In My Life"

Just call me Cloud or GOC9
george_on_cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2010, 06:01 AM   #6
JonnyLytnin
Rocky Raccoon

If I'm ever so blessed as to find a wife, it's not a huge deal that she likes the Beatles to the extent that I do. She should be willing to at least tolerate their music and be willing to have alot of played at the wedding though

"Everything else can wait, but the search for God cannot wait." -- George Harrison
JonnyLytnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2010, 01:57 PM   #7
Hari's Chick

Smile

It helps to sort of enjoy the same music if music is big in your life, or Beatles music specifically. My husband loves the Beatles, especially John. When we first met he didn't have a lot of solo George songs. We exchanged mix tapes... I gave him two George mix tapes and he gave me a Cat Stevens mix tape. We still have those old tapes with our teen drawings all over them! We played Beatles at our wedding reception and the inside of his wedding ring has enscribed a John Lennon quote.

But I would have loved him just as much, even as a non-Beatles fan. So, I guess it was nice and important, but not necessary at all. I'm not a huge Led Zep fan, but he is. He did not like Natalie Merchant much at all, but I loved her music. So, he just mostly plays Led Zep when I am not home, and I played Natalie when I was mad at him. Then he started liking her, haha!
Old May 08, 2010, 02:09 PM   #8
the ninth walrus
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via Yahoo to the ninth walrus

i can only get along with other beatle fans really well but i have two friends that aren't but respect that i'm a beatles fan.

there's nothing like an afternoon of drinking homemade butter milk and listing to old music.

sǝɯıʇ ʇɐ ǝɟıl

me i'm part Irish
the ninth walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2010, 02:15 PM   #9
hibgal
Sun King

Default Say say say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
I find that the vast majority of folks born in the '60s like the Beatles to some extent.
You nicked it there. It's very hard to be a 50s or 60s child and NOT like the Beatles. It's the soundtrack of our youth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
It helps to sort of enjoy the same music if music is big in your life, or Beatles music specifically.
Very true. I don't think being fans of exactly the same artists is a requirement, what are friends for?, but it's not easy for people to share a home if their musical tastes are antagonistic. And if your partner is a musician, well, you better like his/her music or living together will become quite difficult if not impossible! For myself, at least the other person must respect my taste in music even if he doesn't share it.

Quote:
So, he just mostly plays Led Zep when I am not home, and I played Natalie when I was mad at him. Then he started liking her, haha!
Now THAT's an original way to become a fan!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2010, 02:35 PM   #10
AeolianCadence
Wild Honey Pie

The Beatles are one of the few bands/artists my husband and I both like. He's into Styx, Boston, Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond ... I prefer Talking Heads, the Clash, Elvis Costello, the Replacements, that sort of thing. If not for the Beatles, car trips could be a real drag. ; )
AeolianCadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2010, 02:43 PM   #11
Esmirelda
Sun King

It's hugely important to me.

(When I was single, I had a guy pretend to be a Beatlemaniac so that I would like him.)
Old May 09, 2010, 03:41 PM   #12
62hofner

My wife loves The Beatles, but she is not fanatical about them the way I am.

I think I prefer it that way, actually. We all need things that we can claim as ours. The Beatles are one of those... "interests" that I claim as one of the things that are unique to me.

Now, if my wife hated The Beatles or even disliked them, THAT would be a problem. She probably would not have made it this far with me if that were the case.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2010, 03:43 PM   #13
MaccaGirl2891
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via MSN to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Yahoo to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Skype™ to MaccaGirl2891

It's important to me, but not necessary. It's important that if they're not a huge fan, that they are a casual fan or they respect that I'm a huge fan. I hope to meet the perfect man someday -- and that includes him loving The Beatles!
George Harrison - 2/25/1943--11/29/2001
Michael Joseph Jackson - 8/29/1958--6/25/2009
MaccaGirl2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2010, 04:06 PM   #14
bluefox4000
Apple Scruff

Send a message via Yahoo to bluefox4000

I would never force my love of ANY band on my fiancee. It just wouldin't be right. In fact the Beatles are insignificant next to my Jess.

Mick

-Leonard Cohen
bluefox4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 10:58 AM   #15
mluque125
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to mluque125

My boyfriend is a casual Beatles fan... but I have a feeling he likes them a lot despite denying it over and over. I could maybe date someone who didn't like them for argument sake... maybe it would spark some interesting conversations but I don't know... I think it would be a problem...I'm just so used to being with someone who likes them even if it's nowhere near as much as me. I could definitely not date someone who didn't know of them. The main reason is because I'm always talking about them so they should be somewhat interested in them. They should know all the general facts so they're not completely lost.

Inspiration, move me brightly.
Light the song with sense and color;
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.

Last edited by mluque125 : May 12, 2010 at 11:05 AM.
mluque125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 11:03 AM   #16
mluque125
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to mluque125

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner View Post
My wife loves The Beatles, but she is not fanatical about them the way I am.

I think I prefer it that way, actually. We all need things that we can claim as ours. The Beatles are one of those... "interests" that I claim as one of the things that are unique to me.

Now, if my wife hated The Beatles or even disliked them, THAT would be a problem. She probably would not have made it this far with me if that were the case.
I completely agree with this. Now that I think about it, I like being the fanatical one! I do wish I had a friend who liked them though and would be willing to go to Beatle related events with me... I hate having to go by myself or dragging my boyfriend along with me all the time.

Inspiration, move me brightly.
Light the song with sense and color;
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
mluque125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 12:02 PM   #17
Kaleidoscope.eyes
Little Child

My boyfriend likes the Beatles, but not as much as me. And that's fine, we like pretty much the same music anyway. I would have to date someone that at least liked the Beatles otherwise I'm sure they would be annoyed at how much they would be listening to them. I could never date someone who liked music that I hated and vice versa.
Old May 13, 2010, 02:15 PM   #18
Miss Nani Moonlight
Nowhere Man

Location: in the center of a big beatle group hug...nah, i wish.

i dont know. i dont have a boyfriend. ;)

BUT if i did, it would be extremely important. especially if he was going to marry me, then he would have to at least like the beatles.

there is no way in hell i am spending the rest of my life with someone who asks me 'who are the beatles?'

sorry, im close minded. but thats just me.
Miss Nani Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 04:18 AM   #19
Lynner

I probably couldn't have married someone who hated the Beatles, just as I couldn't have married some who hated my family or my friends.

My husband likes the Beatles well enough. He'll take me to Beatle related things, if I ask him, but I'd rather go with my friends, rather than worry if he's having a good time or not.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 06:06 AM   #20
bluefox4000
Apple Scruff

Send a message via Yahoo to bluefox4000

The amount of utter devotion to the Beatles over human connection is so funny.
I just want to say i'm not knocking that......at all. I just wish I could do that. lol More power to you guys.

Mick

-Leonard Cohen
bluefox4000 is offline   Reply With Quote