BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old May 20, 2002, 01:33 AM   #1
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

Default Paul McCartney: Just a Bloke Who Paints

Thre's also a nice picture of one of Linda's poirtrats
http://www.nydailynews.com/2002-05-1...e/a-151236.asp

The ex-Beatle is having his first
major show in Liverpool

By ELLEN TUMPOSKY

visit to a neighbor's house gave Paul McCartney the courage to try his hand at painting. The neighbor was Willem de Kooning, the master of abstract expressionism, who had a studio up the road in the Hamptons on Long Island.

When McCartney, who was 40 at the time, asked what one of de Kooning's paintings depicted, the artist replied, "I don't know, looks like a couch, huh?"

"De Kooning had a very relaxed attitude to making art. I think Paul found that completely liberating," says Michael Simpson, curator of "The Art of Paul McCartney," which opens Friday at the Walker Art Gallery in the Beatles' hometown of Liverpool.

The show, which runs through Aug. 4, features 70 paintings, sculptures and photographs. It comes in a momentous year for the superstar. McCartney, who turns 60 on June 18, recently completed a successful U.S. concert tour and will be marrying Heather Mills next month. His first wife, Linda, died in 1998 of breast cancer.

McCartney has exhibited his work before in Siegen, Germany, in 1999, but was wary of doing a major show in Britain until he was approached by the Walker Gallery.

An 'Eye for Color'

Simpson admits that he was "wincing inwardly" when the gallery started talking about a McCartney show. "I was thinking this could be embarrassing. I had seen so-called celebrity artists at work."

He changed his mind after meeting McCartney to look at his canvases. "This is a man who has a real eye for color," says Simpson. "He works very instinctively. There are some genuinely cracking pictures in this exhibition."

Editor of Art review magazine Meredith Etherington-Smith concurs in assessing McCartney's art. "They're quite interesting," she says. "He's not a weekend watercolorist. He's a Southampton oil painter."

Unlike John Lennon, who went to art college, McCartney has no formal training though he did win a school prize as a boy for painting his local church, a period in his childhood alluded to in "Home Territory" (1990), which includes a map of Speke, the section of Liverpool where McCartney grew up. "He always had a bit of a complex that Lennon went to art school," says Etherington-Smith, who suggests that McCartney was motivated to paint to show that he was as much a rounded figure as Lennon.

McCartney was introduced to contemporary art and to his favorite painter, Belgian Rene Magritte by London dealer Robert Fraser. Fraser dropped by McCartney's London house one day in the '60s and left a painting he thought McCartney would want to buy propped up against a vase. It was a Magritte green apple, with the words "Au revoir" across the fruit. The painting inspired the Beatles' Apple record label, McCartney has said.

Another influence was pop artist Peter Blake, who created the LP cover of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." Blake, who is opening the show on Friday, has known McCartney for 40 years and describes himself as his "fairy godfather."

Blake recalls how very early on McCartney asked various friends for advice. "My advice at the time was not to listen to any advice just paint."

He adds: "I admire what he has done. He's a very interesting figurative painter at a time when figurative painting isn't fashionable."

Paintings of Linda

A number of McCartney's paintings feature his first wife. "Yellow Linda with Piano" (1988) is a portrait, while others are more abstract, like "Robot and Star," which shows black robots with a yellow splash. "There's a lot of yellow figures that appear in his pictures. Whenever you see yellow figures emerging out of the blackness, that pretty much equates to Linda," Simpson explains.

Linda, whose brother, John Eastman, was de Kooning's attorney, appears to have been McCartney's muse. "He did a lot of painting up to Linda's death. He painted one or two cathartic pictures after her death," says Blake.

But, Blake continues, "at the moment, music has taken precedence again."

Some works are sentimental, including "Big Heart" (1999). Others are darker, including "Boxer Lips," which shows a disfigured face or more sexual, like "Red-hot Tongue" (1990).

None has ever been for sale.

"He steadfastly refuses to entertain the idea of selling," says Simpson.

The show finishes with recent work, including some sculpture using natural materials (branches and logs), and photos taken from a watch-camera that McCartney owns. He has blown up the small digital prints and transferred them onto canvas, sometimes adding paint, as he did with an image of talk-show host Larry King.

"He doesn't take himself very seriously," says Simpson. "He's serious about art, but he's not saying, 'I'm a great artist.' He's just saying, 'I'm a guy who does some painting and someone has asked to have a look at them.'"

Original Publication Date: 5/19/02

------------------
"Because there wasn't any reason left to keep it all inside"
- Paul McCartney, 1982
Amalthea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2002, 03:45 AM   #2
lucyinthesky_84
Taxman

Default Re: Paul McCartney: Just a Bloke Who Paints

Thank you for posting it, Amalthea!
The paintings pictures are quite small but they look good. And Macca is so cute in that picture.

------------------
"I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and myself and I hoped we passed the audition." - John Lennon
lucyinthesky_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2002, 04:43 AM   #3
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

What a lovely article! Thank you for posting it!

It is interesting that Paul had visions of Linda in yellow, as yellow. I like his Linda pictures most of all.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2002, 08:37 AM   #4
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

You two are welcome, really ... and I agree, lucy

Oh, this is another link, the official one of the exhibition with a few facts and all the infos for those who can go (and want)... http://www.thewalker.org.uk/mccartney/

------------------
- Paul McCartney, 1982
Old May 20, 2002, 05:57 PM   #5
bearkat77
Administrator

Thanks for the links, Amalthea!

------------------

Bearkat77's Beatlemaniac Page
Bearkat77's Tribute to John Lennon
Bearkat77's Tribute to Ringo Starr
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2002, 12:43 PM   #6
lucyinthesky_84
Taxman

Here's a related article; There are a few pics of Paul's painting.

Walker hosts art of Sir Paul McCartney
by Joe Riley, Liverpool Echo

THE first British show of Sir Paul McCartney's art is predicted to break records at Liverpool's Walker Gallery.

The ex-Beatle is even expected to better the 1,000 visitors a day for the Merseyside exhibition of drawings by Italian master Leonardo da Vinci as part of the Queen's Jubilee celebrations.

More than 70 pictures by Sir Paul go on show to the public on Friday, May 24. They include a 1988 painting called The Kiss, showing Sir Paul with his late wife, Linda.

Sir Paul owns all of the art on show, which has come from his homes in the UK and America.

None of the original works will be for sale.

But twenty-five signed copies of each of three pictures in the exhibition will be sold at 1,000 each.

Apart from oil paintings, there are two works incorporating digital photography, as well as some wooden sculptures made out of driftwood.

Sir Paul, who has just finished an America concert tour, is expected to arrive in Liverpool tomorrow (Wednesday) to oversee final preparations for the Walker exhibition.

The works were selected by Michael Simpson, the Walker's former curator of modern art, who now runs the new Imperial War Museum in Manchester.

Mr Simpson said: "These works by Paul McCartney are not being seen in London. "Anyone who wants to see them will have to come to Liverpool."

The Art of Paul McCartney is at the Walker Gallery, Liverpool, until August 4.

Paul's art

THE Art of Paul McCartney is the latest Liverpool venture by the world's most famous pop musician, who has continued to re-invent himself as classical composer, poet and wandering minstrel.

Apart from regular trips to Lipa, the theatre and music college he founded at his old school, Liverpool Institute, Paul McCartney enjoys a long history of returning home as Renaissance Man.

* June 28 1991: Paul McCartney's Liverpool Oratorio is premiered in Liverpool Cathedral to mark the 150th anniversary of the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic.

* June 20, 1998: The Liverpool Phil play Paul's second classical piece, Standing Stone.

* October 16, 1999: Paul's Working Classical evening of shorter pieces at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, played by the London Symphony Orchestra.

* December 14, 1999: Paul returns to sing at the Cavern Club

* March 22, 2001: Paul reads his poetry at the Everyman Theatre.

------------------
"I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and myself and I hoped we passed the audition." - John Lennon
lucyinthesky_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2002, 08:44 AM   #7
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

Thanks nice article, lucy

And here's something more.

from ananova.com:

Paul McCartney's first art exhibition set to break records
Paul McCartney's art exhibition is predicted to break records at
Liverpool's Walker Gallery.

He looks likely to beat the record of 1,000 visitors a day, set by the
Merseyside exhibition of drawings by Leonardo da Vinci.

The artwork from the former Beatle will go on display as part of the
Queen's Jubilee celebrations this Friday until August 4.

More than 70 pictures by Sir Paul are included in the exhibition, which is
his first British show.
Sir Paul has just finished his US concert tour and is expected to arrive in
Liverpool this week to oversee final preparations for the Walker
exhibition, reports the Liverpool Echo.

------------------
- Paul McCartney, 1982
Old May 22, 2002, 08:08 PM   #8
MaccaGirl
Taxman

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:

It is interesting that Paul had visions of Linda in yellow, as yellow. I like his Linda pictures most of all.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I imagine it's cos of her blonde hair and when she wore yellow and she was sitting next to a yellow piano, it all kinda flew together. They apparently were out that night and they had just gotten home and she was still wearing her high heels and was kinda hanging on the couch and Paul liked it so he painted it. That's what he says in an interview of Good Morning America from last year. And I agree, I like the paintings of her that he did best.

------------------
"There's fan, and then there's fanatic."
Remove the Linda singing Hey Jude Page
Lilyflower (My Website)
MaccaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2002, 03:46 PM   #9
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I read Dr. Bernie Siegel's (sp) book about love, medicine and miracles a few years ago and he has appeared on Oprah! several times. I remember reading that he had his patients with cancer draw themselves and he said that yellow is a healing color.

Perhaps Paul saw healing for Linda or it was somehow subconsciously rooted in his hope for her recovery, perhaps? I don't know, but it does make for some interesting speculation.

Linda's pretty blonde hair certainly added to the "yellow" aura; so did the sunlight that played upon it. I think those are Paul's nicest works and I am glad to see him share his artistic abilities so freely and publicly.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote